Joseph Mayo - Trackmanmaestro

pusb365

For someone who preaches left wrist flexion (bowing) he sure doesn't do it in his swing. Doesn't mean he isn't great but guy is pretty limited to fixing slices, all he talks about is drawing the ball. He doesn't even teach putting either!!!!

& yeah, he's got great eyes, too. he can see everywhere, I've never seen him without his dark sunglasses.

I hope he takes them off in London.

Joe's right hand man is an incredible putting coach @radargolfpro

For someone who preaches left wrist flexion (bowing) he sure doesn't do it in his swing. Doesn't mean he isn't great but guy is pretty limited to fixing slices, all he talks about is drawing the ball. He doesn't even teach putting either!!!!

& yeah, he's got great eyes, too. he can see everywhere, I've never seen him without his dark sunglasses.

I hope he takes them off in London.

Joe's right hand man is an incredible putting coach @radargolfpro

He's also got quite the stable of players as well, Piercy comes to mind. Finch threw him a shout out a few weeks back.

Sometimes it's harder to stay with a tour player than it is to attract one.

I'm not sure how you help someone play their way off tour, but it sure sounds cool.

Bottom line, Joseph Mayo, the Trackman Maestro, can help pretty much improve the ball striking for anyone who reads this thread.

So there's no accountability for a teacher? If mayo were jimmy walkers teacher, would you be singing his praises? You can't have it both ways.

To keep the topic going, I'll respectfully disagree that he can help most or is a good teacher. We can agree to disagree.

I love this thread. Every time his name comes up there's veterans on here who talk about where it all started with this guy. I only wish I had joined WRX a couple years earlier than I did so I could have witnessed Joes posts when he was just getting started and brand new to the game.

I can't believe he ended up getting gigs teaching professionals on the PGA Tour. I can only imagine what types of things he must have told people when convincing them that he knew something about golf.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

I love this thread. Every time his name comes up there's veterans on here who talk about where it all started with this guy. I only wish I had joined WRX a couple years earlier than I did so I could have witnessed Joes posts when he was just getting started and brand new to the game.

I can't believe he ended up getting gigs teaching professionals on the PGA Tour. I can only imagine what types of things he must have told people when convincing them that he knew something about golf.

Joey was an early adopter and purchaser of a Trackman. Based on his posts, comments and opinions ... he could barely spell "golf" when he started. He was sort of like the guys from Hewlett-Packard in the old days, who weren't Dr's, but knew how to interpret ultrasound pictures or the guys you used to hear about, assisting with "operations" to install medical devices. They didn't know much about medicine, but knew where to put the "screws and bolts".

Joey got hooked up with Grant Waite for a while, although I think that "partnership" has gone by the boards.

I got in a big argument with him (no big surprise there) years ago, either here on WRX or on Twitter. He didn't even understand the basics of ball spin and was insisting that "impact point" on the clubface, wasn't relevant to ball flight .... duh!

I can't fathom that he now considers himself an "Instructor". It boggles the mind.

If Joe was not up to instructing, would he be able to sustain his role as director of instruction at TPC summerlin? Genuine question.

I don't know whether he is the real deal but I follow him on Twitter and enjoy his output, he seems very knowledgable and is humble and engaging. It's acknowledged he knew very little 8 or so years ago, doesn't mean he has nothing to offer now.

Clearly he hasn't taken the 'normal' route into teaching golf, he has set out to become a golf instructor whereas I guess most instructors didn't but fell into it or had a career change when their game didn't take them to where they wanted it to, no slur intended at all on any of the fine instructors on here.

Would be good to hear from any of Joes students and the progress they have made.

You can still dig up those old threads. He went by the screen name tallvolfan back then.

A lot of people have issues with him on here because he wrote this in 09:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/226077-my-beginner-golf-swing-videos/

Asking what people think of his golf swing since he's brand new to the game. Now less than a year later he's demanding Butch Harmon defend himself for his teaching of certain students.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/342377-butch-harmonplease-defend-yourself/

Every instructor has to start somewhere and getting experience isn't an instant event. I'm sure all the instructors here and elsewhere have evolved over time and what they teach/believe now isn't the same as when they started to teach. I think most if not all made mistakes and gave wrong info to students over a career in teaching the golf swing...no one has a perfect record not even Butch!

Whether the o.p. should take lessons from T.M.M. is a question he has to answer himself. You pay your money and you take your chances with any instructor, some might be your answer and some might be your .... demise!

Perez has a torn labrum and is off the tour due to a medical issue. He also has seen other instructors such as Mark Winkley in addition to Mayo. I just purchased Mayo's latest video for 12 bucks and it is an hour and a half of excellent information. Incorporating some of it helped me with my lowest round of the year over the weekend. Buy the video, if it resonates, get a lesson. If it does'nt, don't. He is the director of golf at a TPC and instructs a lot of very good players.

You can still dig up those old threads. He went by the screen name tallvolfan back then.

http://www.golfwrx.c...f-swing-videos/

Asking what people think of his golf swing since he's brand new to the game. Now less than a year later he's demanding Butch Harmon defend himself for his teaching of certain students.

http://www.golfwrx.c...efend-yourself/

Oh man, those were ugly times...

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Perez has a torn labrum and is off the tour due to a medical issue. He also has seen other instructors such as Mark Winkley in addition to Mayo. I just purchased Mayo's latest video for 12 bucks and it is an hour and a half of excellent information. Incorporating some of it helped me with my lowest round of the year over the weekend. Buy the video, if it resonates, get a lesson. If it does'nt, don't. He is the director of golf at a TPC and instructs a lot of very good players.

pretty sure Perez has been working with Danny Lees swing coach (drew steckel) for all last year until he got hurt. I dont know much about drew but Danny seems to really like him and has a good swing

Perez did say he left mayo because he was too technical for his tastes and wanted to get back to playing by feel. Initially helped him but then his play started to deteriorate.

He is the director of golf at a TPC and instructs a lot of very good players.

I think you're mistaken or misunderstood something.

Mayo claims he is DOI on his year old vimeo page and his twitter page. Good luck finding any evidence at http://www.tpc.com/summerlin/home

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Oh man, those were ugly, embarrassing times, even 6 years later...

Glad to see that you're still hanging in here, Kev!

Oh man, those were ugly, embarrassing times, even 6 years later...

Glad to see that you're still hanging I here, Kev!

Thank you my friend. Mostly lurking and staying out of trouble! :D :hi:

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Mayo claims he is DOI on his year old vimeo page and his twitter page. Good luck finding any evidence at http://www.tpc.com/summerlin/home

Can you find any instructors or head pro on the website?

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

He absolutely is not the Director of Golf. Period. And his title is whatever he says it is. He's an independent contractor who pays rent to use the facility. He's not an employee

Head pro is Michael Messner. GM/Director of Golf is Lee Smith

He absolutely is not the Director of Golf. Period. And his title is whatever he says it is. He's an independent contractor who pays rent to use the facility. He's not an employee

His twitter bio says "Director of Instruction at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas".....this is getting a little interesting.....

**edit** - Realized someone said the same thing above....I got nothing

This article says he's DOI. http://www.golf.com/extra-spin/nine-questions-trackmanmaestro-twitters-favorite-teaching-pro

That's pretty ballsy to list that in a national magazine.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

As a member at TPC Summerlin, I can tell you that there are several outside pros besides Joe Mayo that teach there all the time. Jeff Smith and Cathy Kim come to mind immediately. I know that Cathy used to work for TPC in the pro shop and has a TPC directorship title with them despite leaving the pro shop and going full time with her teaching career. As stated by ITeach, the head pro is Michael Messner and the GM is Lee Smith. (I have Lee's putter on loan in my bag right now). Mayo could very easily have some kind of teaching title with the club, that would not surprise me at all. Unlike other clubs I have belonged to, TPC seems to be tolerant of allowing other teaching pros to use it's facilities and actually seems to encourage it. It is one of the reasons I like playing there. I have not heard anything negative about Mayo at the club at all. I have not had a lesson from Mayo but have seen him teach there on the range and it appeared completely reasonable and conventional. Both Jeff Smith and Cathy Kim are excellent, by the way.

That changes things somewhat, his claim to be DOI at summerlin appears to be either disingenuous or complete b/s...hmmmmmm, disappointing.