2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Guerin Rife and EVNROLL Putters

driveandputtmachine

So someone posted yesterday about having lucked into meeting Guerin Rife at a PGA Tour Superstore in Atlanta. Well that immediately sparked my interest, being the former owner of a putter company I wanted to try and get out to meet him. So there were a few exchanges via the thread and a call to the PGA Superstore in Kennesaw and off I went.

I spoke to one of the PGA SS Employees and asked if they could get a message to Guerin that I wanted to come by, get fit and talk to him about his putters. They did and at 4:10pm I showed up and away we went.

https://evnroll.com/

The very first thing that you notice about Guerin is how approachable, genuinely nice, and fired up about his putters he is. at no point did he talk over me, he let me ask tons of questions and I received all of the answers and he even let me in on some info I did not know. So then it was off to testing his putters.

If you check out the website you can see all four of the models they currently sell and he had multiples of each there with him. He also had a prototype Mallet(similar to the Barbados) and a blade that was similar to an extended B60 putter as well. As these were the only two in existence I only hit a few putts with each of them since I knew I would not get my grubby little hands on one of them to take home.

We tried each of the putters and I eventually narrowed it down to the two more blade looking models. For some reason my stance changed every time I put a mallet in my hand and he had to increase the loft on them. The use of the roll board helped two fold.

1. It helped determine where I was aiming the putter, you can see all of the contact the ball makes with the roll board.

2. You could see the "launch" of the putter and then when it started to roll. Too little loft and you could immediately tell the ball wold have dug into the ground, two much and you can see the ball as it skips across the roll board.

Once we finally took my putter (ER2) off the shelf we then tested it and Guerin set about bending it himself to get the lie angle and the loft exactly right. I also paid close attention and hit some balls off of the heel and some off of the toe side of the grooves to see the differences.

Two major things I noticed......

1. The grooves no matter where the ball is struck make a huge impact on the ball rolling more quickly.

2. The grooves did make a difference on distance control.

I tried a major manufacturer with an very similar headstyle. These heads have an aluminum insert. I could see the ball skip through the end of the roll board, no matter how we moved it around. I also noticed that with the other putter hitting the ball a little on the toe or heel caused a bigger difference in how far the ball traveled.

So funny enough a former owner of a putter company is no longer rolling one of his own putters, he is now the proud owner of an EVNROLL ER2 with a headcover signed by Guerin Rife.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Ping Blueprint S - Ventus Blue 90 Hybrid X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Recoil 110 F5
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have rolled one before, but I did not compare them on this day.

The feel was similar, but I never wanted one of the Model 1's. I do not know why I jumped at this one and not the Model 1. Maybe it was the roll of the ball or it was how many more putts I made with the EVNROLL vs. what I made with the the Model 1.

• 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4-iron Ping Blueprint S - Ventus Blue 90 Hybrid X
  • GW - Ping Glide 4.0s 50* - Recoil 110 F5 | Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - LAB DF3 - Accra White | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, these putters are the real deal! I am currently gaming one of the ER5's, shown here

https://evnroll.com/er5-hatchback.html/

and I am well past the honeymoon stage but still in love! :yahoo:

I put it straight into play for the member guest tournament at San Diego Country Club. If any of you have played here, you know how crazy sloped and fast the greens are. Southern Californians call this place "Augusta of the West." They had the greens rolling 13's and with pins in some of the toughest locations for the final round. I went out and drained every putt I looked at. Shot 67, -5 and beat my previous low round of 71 by 4 shots!!! Literally unbelievable.

Played last weekend and had 24 putts! The technology on these things is just incredible. Even when I feel as though I mishit a putt, I look up and it is still going into the hole. Would not give this putter up for my first born child! :taunt:

I normally have used a 35" putter almost all of my life.

My best results were with a 34".

I don't think there is a one size fits all answer to this question though.

Anyone know the answer to this?

I just want to know if we're supposed to choke down a little on these Evnroll putters or not. That's the usual recommendation from other companies in regards to their counterbalanced putters. But it appears Evnroll only offers standard lengths.

I just want to know if we're supposed to choke down a little on these Evnroll putters or not. That's the usual recommendation from other companies in regards to their counterbalanced putters. But it appears Evnroll only offers standard lengths.

It's a good question, they should make this more clear. I'm not sold on this putter being all that, btw. Rolled them all...

Centauri, I spoke with someone at EVNROLL about this. I was informed that the putters are to be used at standard length. Apparently they add a small amount of headweight ~15 grams and then counterbalance that slightly for more stability with 30 grams in the shaft. Personally I think its a great idea. Keeps the swingweight down but adds stability. Very clever!

No lefty love?

Every time I see this it makes me laugh. I know lefties want a chance too, but when I walk into any big box store the clearance rack is FULL of left handed clubs. There isn't a ton of call for left handed items in general, and when you are a small company starting out to spend a pile of money making clubs for what accounts to 2% of the golf population is like throwing money away.

I owned a small putter company, everyone wanted us to make left handed models. So we did after having roughly 15 lefties sign up to buy one.

Well after they were milled and ready to go every left hander had a reason they could no longer get one. The excuses were wide ranging. We milled them in 2008, and only made 5 each of the three different models that were asked for. When I shut the doors in 2012 we had only sold 2 of two of the models and 1 of the other. We had made 3 or more full production runs of each model in right hand during the years that the lefties sat.

I was dealing in small quantities and small profit, since it was not my actual source of income for living. To make decent profit one golf clubs, you have to produce a ton of product to get the price per item small enough to make sense. Then you also have to build the molds, or presses, or fixtures to produce a left handed model that is completely separate from the right handed design. If you are a large company like TM, Callaway, Ping, Mizuno, Titleist you can live with losing a little money or breaking even on left handed clubs. When you are a smaller company you cannot.

However, all that being said, I believe the Guerin told me that he had designed these putters so that if someone wanted a left handed model it could be done without all of the additional costs. They are the same dimensions from either side. If you contact them I would be willing to bet they could make a left handed model for you of whichever one you wanted.

Just picked up the ER2 in a 33". Went in originally with my eye on a See More blade, but when the guy showed me the EVNROLL, it wasnt even a discussion other than "I will take it". I cant wait to get this thing into play.

Did you try any of the other models? I was close on the ER5, but the 2 won out. I am not a huge mallet guy, and the 1, while nice I just couldn't get it aimed correctly.

I did hit some putts with a 1 of 1 prototype that he had just off of the mill before coming out to Atlanta. I can't wait to see it hit production, as it was just as good if not better than the ER2 to me. Of course I was pretty positive I wouldn't get it away from him so I focused on the putters they had on hand.

There will be some other "things" coming for the lines you currently see and some interesting options sometime in the future. Guerin didn't have any thing for me to see, or give me any timeframes, but when he talked about the options he has great ideas and plans for the EVNROLL line and I think he could really make some noise in the industry again just like he did the first time.

I don't know exact numbers, but based on the three shops around me, there have been a ton of his putters flying off of the rack. He left an initial order of four of each model at the stores here. Two days later they were mostly gone at the two shops closest to my work and home, and then the next week they had some more in. The next week it looked like there were low again and then the week after they are back again.

Just picked up the ER2 in a 33". Went in originally with my eye on a See More blade, but when the guy showed me the EVNROLL, it wasnt even a discussion other than "I will take it". I cant wait to get this thing into play.

Did you try any of the other models? I was close on the ER5, but the 2 won out. I am not a huge mallet guy, and the 1, while nice I just couldn't get it aimed correctly.

I did hit some putts with a 1 of 1 prototype that he had just off of the mill before coming out to Atlanta. I can't wait to see it hit production, as it was just as good if not better than the ER2 to me. Of course I was pretty positive I wouldn't get it away from him so I focused on the putters they had on hand.

There will be some other "things" coming for the lines you currently see and some interesting options sometime in the future. Guerin didn't have any thing for me to see, or give me any timeframes, but when he talked about the options he has great ideas and plans for the EVNROLL line and I think he could really make some noise in the industry again just like he did the first time.

I don't know exact numbers, but based on the three shops around me, there have been a ton of his putters flying off of the rack. He left an initial order of four of each model at the stores here. Two days later they were mostly gone at the two shops closest to my work and home, and then the next week they had some more in. The next week it looked like there were low again and then the week after they are back again.

I did. I tried the ER1 and ER5, but the ER2 just felt right. I still cant get over the feel. I have been playing Odyssey for years and lately I have just been struggling with alignment. It is even to the point that a 3 footer is not a gimme. I just got back from the practice green at the range just now. It is amazing the consistency of distance. So far I am completely satisfied. Better be for $330..lol. One thing that I can already tell with this putter, 3 footers definitely dont scare me anymore. Even after this short time, my confidence is returning.

I hope he has a lot of success with his EVNROLL putters. I still have and game a couple of the 2Bar mallets; have not ever used a better rolling/feeling mallet.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

0cef442952987628ce3d5f60dfd41220.jpg

Holy Crap I love this thing!

I'm using one of these. Love it. But have just put a normal sized grip on it as I don't putt as well with the large superstroke style.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

• 1 month later...

Played with the er5 again this week on quick greens. Distance control was spot on including a last roll snaking 30 footer. . Big difference after swapping out the stock grip but that's a preference thing rather than a criticism of the putter.

I just need to figure out how to dampen the sound.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX