I CANT CHIP!!!!!!!! Please help with basics

Thx to a fellow wrx er, it was suggested to buy a golf book for a senior swing. The best takeaway was about chipping and it had nothing to do with being a senior player. It's simple, swing along your shoulder line. So, open your shoulders swing left for a longer shot and move the back and close your shoulders and swing out/right. I like to hit those low. Love it!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx to a fellow wrx er, it was suggested to buy a golf book for a senior swing. The best takeaway was about chipping and it had nothing to do with being a senior player. It's simple, swing along your shoulder line. So, open your shoulders swing left for a longer shot and move the back and close your shoulders and swing out/right. I like to hit those low. Love it!

Not following.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

The problem with chipping is really this, and its what I tell any of my friends that are struggling or getting into the game.

If you can't consistently hole out straight 10yd chips and pitches with good compression then you have no business even trying to swing the longer clubs.

You can get away being a mid handicapper and even a single with a lousy swing and lousy contact but it will show itself in the short shots if you don't know what you're doing.

Sorry that this really isn't technical advice.

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

AI Smoke TD 15

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3 Modus 120x

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 51S 55D T24 59V s400

Oworks 7s

A couple years ago, Paul Azinger did a segment on the GC and was differentiating between chipping as using the leading edge and pitching as using the bounce. From what I've read here, Monte and Dan teach along the same lines. He even had a drill in which he drove a tee into the ground with the wedge bounce. Pretty cool if you can do it.

I'm 67 and getting back to the game in earnest. Right now, chipping and pitching are the problem areas. Main problem, hitting fat with the occasional skull.

I do many things to sabotage myself when pitching: drop my back shoulder, hit with my right hand, descend to steep, lift up at impact. At first I thought it was the yips, but it isn't. I just don't know the solution yet.

If I ignore all that and just relax and hit by feel, 50% of my chips and pitches are on the money. But that's not good enough, because I don't know why the hell that happens.

This thread offers all the solutions I need. Mainly: - Don't follow through to the target, rotate to the left. - stand over the ball. ...and many more.

My problem is that I need to ingrain one method, not many parts, so I need to put it all together and practice.

Chipping, I watched Phil's vids and I am a huge fan of the hinge and hold. I believe that chipping is done with the leading edge, pitching with the bounce. It is a great relief for me to know that and see it work. Also, however, Furyk's putting-style approach also makes sense to me on clean lies and smooth greens. So I have that in my back pocket.

In my backyard, I don't think there is a level spot. It all slopes away from the house, so my pitching practice involves strange angles, ball high, feet high, sidehill, etc. This is where systems can fall apart, and where an adept knowledge of and confidence in the flop shot is key. Not that you're hitting flop shots, but if you have the guts and skill to hit a flop shot regularly, your imagination has the courage to handle all sorts of lies when pitching.

Apart from chipping, I am a one-club guy when pitching. I play Eye 2's with a 50.5-degree PW (yours is most likely 46 or 45). I have become quite adept at opening, closing, toe-ing, and even skulling balls toward their target with proper approximate distance. That said, if I were playing, say, St. Andrews, I would certainly change that approach and carry at least two putters in my bag :)

So thanks to everyone who contributed here. I came here a few days ago and found an encyclopedia of help.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

I use the pick up and throw method.

Why didn't I think of that???? :)

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I've had success with a double overlap on short shots. Historically, I have a pretty bad short game, but it's been much better this year.

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

Not following.

SunkTheBirdie, The book is called play better golf for seniors by Mike Adams and TJ Tomasi. In the chipping section they say swing the club along your shoulder line. So, take the classic set up, weight forward, open stance, shoulders open and basically swing left. It pops up the balll nicely. Thx Tanner

Chipping is exactly like putting except with loft

I think where people get frustrated is not knowing that downhill chips vs uphill chips are set up a bit differently

When I set up to chip where the green runs away from Me, I will try to play the ball so that the trajectory of the ball peaks just over the fringe

For uphill chips I aim directly at the hole rather looking at the hole for distance only like in my downhill chips

Also I try not to allow my thumbs to be overactive on the uphill chips

I have just noticed through observation that the chip killer is the stab. Keep the cluibhead moving through the ball, even on short chips.

The stab is a SHOT killer, not just a chip killer.

1 truism in golf from the longest drive to the shortest putt is that the club must accelerate (NOT go fast/hard) through the ball, provided it's possible off course.

Decel is death !!! :ninja:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

If you happen to hit the earth first, I suggested you do not try to accelerate through the earth. Regroup and hit it again.

I come over the top a lot, which results in my right (back) hand driving the club into the earth (see above). When I can calm myself down, I focus on two things: making a shoulder turn and taking a smooth downswing, picturing the end of the club grip pointing at the target line until the club becomes parallel to the line really helps. From the top, you trace the end of the grip along the line, which helps me not create and dive-bombing clubhead.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I bought both his books a couple of weeks ago! They are good and simple, but his weight shift thing is dangerous because it is awkward and really easy to overdo. Plus, I still hit it fat. I am still working with the system, though, because it seems so right and his book focuses only on exactly what you need to know.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

If you happen to hit the earth first, I suggested you do not try to accelerate through the earth. Regroup and hit it again.

I come over the top a lot, which results in my right (back) hand driving the club into the earth (see above). When I can calm myself down, I focus on two things: making a shoulder turn and taking a smooth downswing, picturing the end of the club grip pointing at the target line until the club becomes parallel to the line really helps. From the top, you trace the end of the grip along the line, which helps me not create and dive-bombing clubhead.

The swing you are describing is perfect, but would result in at least a 20 yd shot given that amount of backswing to where the butt is pointing at the target line. What about when you just need to get the ball airborn for 8 ft and land softly? Answer: 4 ft backswing and keep the club moving smoothly through the ball, not quite a downstrike, and not quite a sweep, but right in between. It's a shot that is doable but really depends a lot on the confidence level. This is why the short game is so frustrating/fun.

The swing you are describing is perfect, but would result in at least a 20 yd shot given that amount of backswing to where the butt is pointing at the target line. What about when you just need to get the ball airborn for 8 ft and land softly? Answer: 4 ft backswing and keep the club moving smoothly through the ball, not quite a downstrike, and not quite a sweep, but right in between. It's a shot that is doable but really depends a lot on the confidence level. This is why the short game is so frustrating/fun.

You're right, but tell my right hand that. His method is in reality no different than the hinge-and-hold of Phil, except for the mandatory weight shift and the following the ball thing. You're still setting the club in a hit position either way. But with Tamayo's system, you set the club, take a backswing during which you move your weight left, which (to me) tells my mind that I am ahead of the ball and my brain tells my right hand and right shoulder to DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

Meanwhile the simple hinge-and-hold hinges first then hits with a straight follow through. Two thoughts, no doubt.

Pitching is the problem, when the shot gets longer. I mean, if I had to, I can always putt a chip, but you have to pitch a pitch, which to me is twitchy. I'm confused. I can cut across the ball to hit a flop pitch 90% of the time, but I can't seem to psychologically hit a straight-up pitch shot a certain distance without fatting it half the time.

IMO the yips don't exist. Confidence erases swing problems if you put in the practice. Practice, good practice, is key. Reps, learning, executing, proving to yourself that you can do it. Put in the quality time.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Pitching is the problem, when the shot gets longer. I mean, if I had to, I can always putt a chip, but you have to pitch a pitch, which to me is twitchy. I'm confused. I can cut across the ball to hit a flop pitch 90% of the time, but I can't seem to psychologically hit a straight-up pitch shot a certain distance without fatting it half the time.

stop adding grip pressure helps.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

A follow up to RBImGuy's comment about "stop adding grip pressure" to my chips to stop hitting fat. I had a minor breakthrough.

I worked through getting my stance and ball position correct and synced up with the bottom of my arc. But my chips and pitches I was still hitting fat--and off the toe too. That off the toe revelation was the key to (fingers crossed) helping myself. I was coming harder with the right hand on the downswing, turning the club open and pulling it in in the process and toeing the ball. So what do I do about that?

I'm 67 and I just don't have time to re-train my right hand. I've been a right-handed athlete all my life, you can't teach old hands new tricks. So I fought fire with fire. I gripped the club with my left hand much harder, keeping the angle and leading with the back of my left hand, back and through. Bingo. 80% of the shots are not fat and are straight and true right off the middle of the clubface. When my mind wanders, my right hand takes advantage and I hit it fat.

With this left hand firm grip, I've practiced high, low, short and long shots and it all is coming together. I figure if I ingrain this new approach, both hands will consider it normal and stop showing off and work together. We'll see.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

Is chipping more about being able to control the club face rather than a method? I imagine that Monte, Dan, Phil, et.al. could chip reasonably well using any method because they can always return the club face to their desired position. While us high handicappers are all over the place.

Which fits with cav5's comment about hitting "10yd chips and pitches with good compression".

Are there drills to begin being able to control the club face better on chips? I imagine better club face control would help the full swing as well.

The problem with chipping is really this, and its what I tell any of my friends that are struggling or getting into the game.

If you can't consistently hole out straight 10yd chips and pitches with good compression then you have no business even trying to swing the longer clubs.

You can get away being a mid handicapper and even a single with a lousy swing and lousy contact but it will show itself in the short shots if you don't know what you're doing.

Sorry that this really isn't technical advice.

The problem is, there are players that can hit full shots really well, with accuracy and compression, that struggle with these small shots, myself being one of them. I'm a single digit, in spite of my wedge play and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Is chipping more about being able to control the club face rather than a method? I imagine that Monte, Dan, Phil, et.al. could chip reasonably well using any method because they can always return the club face to their desired position. While us high handicappers are all over the place.

Which fits with cav5's comment about hitting "10yd chips and pitches with good compression".

Are there drills to begin being able to control the club face better on chips? I imagine better club face control would help the full swing as well.

I'm playing a little Devil's advocate here...

This is the main problem I have with club fitting -- At its most elemental level, is it best for a player to purchase clubs that feel right to him/her, or to purchase clubs that a fitter says are the right lie and length and weight? Do you bring a good swing to your club purchase and fitting, or are fitted clubs the crutch you need to get better?

The most obvious response is that if a player gets used to fitted clubs, the player will eventually become a better player. IF, I add, they practice correctly (with instruction) and often, and they understand they need to optimistically work through some rough patches to get better. If not, you'll form your own habits anyway, for better or worse, and might be a high handicapper for life.

For me, I've only had a total couple of weeks of high-level (PGA) golf instruction in my life (one week was with Hank Haney, too). But I can hit flat clubs just as well as upright, maybe better. But I'm 6'3", and at 67 bent-over swinging flat isn't good on the back. I currently game Ping Eye 2s, green dot--2 degrees upright, +3/4". I am really starting to love standing more upright and closer to the ball. I'm also taking a shorter backswing, which feels great.

Anyway...Lee Trevino used to hustle people by hitting balls with Coke bottles, and I can't hit balls with my garbage-can-sized driver.

So what comes first, the swing or the right clubs? Is chipping about method or hand-eye coordination? The real question is technique vs feel. For me, feel is much more fun...but it is no way for a serious golfer to get better.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

The problem is that if it needs to get into the air, it is more than putting and a challenge to the Yippies and Lurchers.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I had always been a good chipper until after I came back from a 2 year lay off. Everything fell back into place except my chipping, got the yips bad. Then one day I said "what the hell and why not" it couldn't get any worse. I started chipping cross-handed, I am now a better chipper than I have ever been. No plans on going back to conventional either!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll say it again, if everything else fails or even if you just want to try it. Go cross-handed, open stance, hands forward and ball in middle of stance. I've never been a better more consistent and confident chipper since swapping to cross-handed. Use it anywhere within 20 yards of the green for the 7i as well as the wedges.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG One and Done w/Super Stroke 5.0
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I had always been a good chipper until after I came back from a 2 year lay off. Everything fell back into place except my chipping, got the yips bad. Then one day I said "what the hell and why not" it couldn't get any worse. I started chipping cross-handed, I am now a better chipper than I have ever been. No plans on going back to conventional either!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll say it again, if everything else fails or even if you just want to try it. Go cross-handed, open stance, hands forward and ball in middle of stance. I've never been a better more consistent and confident chipper since swapping to cross-handed. Use it anywhere within 20 yards of the green for the 7i as well as the wedges.

left hand low?

Three things that have made a real difference for me:

1) Focus/Practice: I've slimmed back so that I now only hit one of two shots... either my 60 degree or an 8 iron bump and run depending on the conditions/position. This has really helped me focus and build up consistency

2) Making sure I commit through the ball. This one was huge for me, I try and ensure that I'm always accelerating through the ball when I'm chipping no matter the range. A big cause of bad shots for me was not committing through the ball, so really focusing on achieving this has made a huge difference

3) Not overly focusing on the hole... this sounds a bit mad, but I now try and aim for a dustbin lid around the hole (3-5 feet) rather than the hole itself. I've no logic or science for this whatever, but I seem to have become a lot more consistent since taking this approach!

40-60 yards is still a mystery for me however!

That has been a big part of my problems close to the green. I routinely fail to follow-through on chips...as if I'm afraid to over-hit the ball. This is amusing (to me), because nine times out of ten...I miss short (not enough on it).

I can't for the life of me putt cross-handed or left hand low. It is like putting on my pants backward or throwing a ball with my left hand. Can no way do it.

Chips---sort shots near the green. Like 5 yards. Look up Phil's hinge and hold videos. Worked wonders for me. Not on pitches, though.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

To add to the chorus of "tips" here I can say that for chipping, I can only deal with one quick thought, or else feel is gone. And pre-shot laser focus on a conservative landing spot to allow roll-out, forget about the flagstick. Too many people I play with shoot at the flagstick and I think their body gets crossed up because their body knows instinctively it's too much juice for the desired result and they decel as a result.

The method I learned from Dan of keeping the clubhead as low to the ground as possible for as long as possible works for me (a mental thought is to keeping the thumbs pointing to the ground all the way through the shot to the finish). This works well for me and it's the only "mechanical" thing I tell my kids to do. This works for chips, bunker shots, and longer pitches too.

Wow. I can 100% see how often this used to play out for me.