2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

I hit my 3 Wood better than my driver. So now.......

Girevik

I was playing today and the head flew off my driver early in the round. Rather than use my partner's driver, I decided just to use my 3W. It turns out I was hitting it what seemed to be every bit as far if not farther than my driver, and probably with better control.

So what does this say about me? Does this mean I should be hitting my driver much farther and need to work on it? Or does it just say that I hit my 3W better and should not even bag a driver? Not sure what it's going to cost to get my driver repaired, but I wonder if it's even worth it.

Sto Pro Veritate

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can laugh all they want if I'm putting up better scores sans driver. But I'm wondering if that means that I'm doing something wrong hitting the driver, or if it's simply not a club I can hit like others can.

Oh, and I have no qualms about putting my goof-ball head cover on my 3W, if that makes a difference.

Sto Pro Veritate

This is classic. Ask Henrik Stenson about it.

I seem to have lost his cell number. Also, I'm about the farthest thing there is from a pro, so I try not to base what I do on what they can do.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question and I'm wasting everyone's time or something. It's usually not so hard to get a straight answer around here.

Sto Pro Veritate

In my experience, there's around 20 yards of difference between a well struck driver and a well struck 3w -provided you have two clubs that are close to optimal for you and you're hitting both well. But I you're a tiny bit shaky with s driver, and flushing the 3w, the 3w will go farther.

The driver has to be hit about 2-3 inch later in the swing for max result in my experience.

In my experience, there's around 20 yards of difference between a well struck driver and a well struck 3w -provided you have two clubs that are close to optimal for you and you're hitting both well.

This is usually the case. Sounds like your 3 wood set-up is giving you great launch and spin conditions and your driver wasn't. Could be swing related but unless you swing your driver drastically different, it's probably more to do with your driver set-up.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I seem to have lost his cell number. Also, I'm about the farthest thing there is from a pro, so I try not to base what I do on what they can do.

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question and I'm wasting everyone's time or something. It's usually not so hard to get a straight answer around here.

I don't know what your game is, nor how fast and/or how well you swing it, but unless you can't hit 200 yards with your driver/3w, I don't see how a properly fit driver wouldn't get you at least a little more distance than a three wood.

I am not a long hitter by any mean, but I can drive it 250 all day and will regularly push it near 270 on a good roll, so my situation might not relate to yours, I don't know. That being said, I am actually more confortable with a driver than I am with a three wood, although I still can hit my 3W fairly well, in the 220-245 yards range. That wasn't always the case however. I had to learn how to hit the driver properly to get decent figure. My swing is probably not what it should be as far as what a perfect driver swing is, but it works for me. You need to find a driver and a swing that works together and learn how to hit it, I don't see why that shouldn't be possible. Just the other day, I was playing with my father in law and we were paired with 2 single players. One of they had this very strange set up where he would stand way too close to the ball, had the face of the club completely shut (reducing the loft of the clubs by several degrees I'm sure!) and hitting the ball completely out of balance, finishing every single swing on his right foot with the left leg almost in the air, ready to fall on his bottom. I am exaggerating, but not much, true story. He was hitting a high pull slice that carried 225-245 yards all the time. He was hitting most of the fairways also. Honestly, that's a golfer who made the most out of his swing. I don't know for the love of god why he doesn't try to fix his posture and balance issue, seems to me like an easier fix, but standing close to the ball, shutting the face and hitting down with a ott swing worked for him. Maybe you need to find something that works for you.

But by all mean, if you hit your 3W that much better and enjoy it just as much as a driver, keep using it. I just don't see how someone can hit a 3W very well and can't find a driver that works just as well, especially of the tee, where both swings are similar in my view.

edit : I also meant to wish you success with your driver adventure. I well struck drive is very a very fun thing.

What is the loft on your driver, and how far do you hit it.

Like the other person said, maybe you need more loft on it. And put a 4 or 5-wood in your bag instead of 3-wood.

It's adjustable, right now I have it at 10.5. I'm still pretty bad, and therefore erratic. My driver can be anywhere form 225 to 250 (I think the best I've done with a breeze at my back was like 275). I seemed to be hitting my 3W pretty consistently 225 or more.

I obviously had an issue with my driver as well, or the head wouldn't have flown off. I can't say how that might have affected things, but I can't imagine that would help matters.

Sto Pro Veritate

What is the loft on your driver, and how far do you hit it.

Like the other person said, maybe you need more loft on it. And put a 4 or 5-wood in your bag instead of 3-wood.

It's adjustable, right now I have it at 10.5. I'm still pretty bad, and therefore erratic. My driver can be anywhere form 225 to 250 (I think the best I've done with a breeze at my back was like 275). I seemed to be hitting my 3W pretty consistently 225 or more.

I obviously had an issue with my driver as well, or the head wouldn't have flown off. I can't say how that might have affected things, but I can't imagine that would help matters.

Depending on what it costs to repair yours: I just bought a Cobra Fly-Z. They're down to $179. I set it to the highest setting, 12 degrees, and seem to be hitting it farther and straighter than my previous driver which was 10.5 fixed. I also have a 9 degree driver, but get a low ball flight and have trouble controlling the left/right. Try hitting a higher lofted driver and see what it does.

Depending on what it costs to repair yours: I just bought a Cobra Fly-Z. They're down to $179. I set it to the highest setting, 12 degrees, and seem to be hitting it farther and straighter than my previous driver which was 10.5 fixed. I also have a 9 degree driver, but get a low ball flight and have trouble controlling the left/right. Try hitting a higher lofted driver and see what it does.

The one I have now is an older Cobra (Amp Cell). It can go to 11.5 but I've never really messed with it much because I've been so inconsistent. I'm just getting to the point where I'm starting to make more consistent contact.

To add insult to injury if I do end up replacing it, I just had a new grip put on it yesterday.

Sto Pro Veritate

What the 3 wood is doing for you that your driver is not.... is that you are hitting the center of the 3 wood more consistently, with a better swing and with better control. Guess what, I do the same thing. I can hit my driver 270 when I hit it well, it is a 50/50 shot, probably closer to 40/60. When I use my 3 wood it is closer to 90/10 and I hit it 250-260 90% of the time. I have better control and can find the center of the face sooooo much easier. I have a driver in the bag just in case, but use my 3 wood 98% of the time.

Deff bag the driver unless you have an extra club that you really could use. I have driver in the bag as a just in case my swing goes to crap.... it has happened a couple times.

Nothing to take offense over. Naval was merely pointing out that one of greatest golfers in the world hits his 3 wood instead of driver. There must be a reason Stenson does that, right? It's easy to assume Stenson hits his 3 wood better than his driver and he's more comfortable with it. The best golfer on my high school golf team used a 2 wood instead of driver Do what works best for you!

I'm in the same boat and it's so frustrating. I KNOW if I could just chill and hit the same smooth 3 wood swing I'd get extra yards over the 3 wood but just can't seem to do it on the course. Range, NO PROBLEM

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Two questions to answer:

What would you replace your driver with if you left yourself with your 3w as your long club? Would the club you replace it with make your game better?

That's another thing I'm trying to figure out. I only have 13 in my bag as it is. I'm kind of trying to wait until my swing is consistant and can dial in my distance to identify my gaps. I don't know at this point if I need a 5W, 7W, 4hy, or what. Maybe a lob wedge at some point (highest lofted club I have now is my SW), or a driving iron for punching out when I get into trouble.

But in my mind that's all in the future. I'm just trying for now to figure out how to best use the clubs I have.

Sto Pro Veritate

You are probably using a driver that is too long with not enough loft. And you are not hitting the center of the face.

All these factors will produce the results you have received.

I would try a shorter, more lofted driver.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

1. None of us are Henrik Stenson, so pointing to what he does as a model for what we should be doing is about the same thing as pointing to Speith and saying that you should putt like he does.

2. If you are asking whether or not you should continue to carry a driver or just hit a 3W, you are asking the wrong question and you WILL get the wrong answer.

3. The correct question is WHY you don't hit your driver as well as your 3W, and the most obvious answer is loft. Not the only possible answer, but the most obvious one and the most likely one.

If you can't hit a 460 cc club as consistently as you hit a 200 cc club, then you have the wrong driver. Get to somebody that has a rep as a good clubfitter and let them do what they do. Let them get you the right loft, the right club face angle, and the right shaft. But giving up 20+ yards 10-14 times a round is NOT the way to go about this. There is a darn good reason that Stenson is the only guy that has been mentioned in this thread; it isn't like lots of guys on Tour are hitting more 3w's than drivers, is it?

When/if you get your driver fixed, put a 3 wood shaft in it, or cut down a driver shaft to 44-45" for better control and hopefully improve strike

I tried that. Didn't work.

That sounds like heresy to the short shaft legion:)

Personally I would like to see actually numbers (i.e. play a couple of casual rounds and hit both 3 wood and driver on a bunch of holes) as people memory can be piss poor. You might learn that you do hit the driver longer (i.e. a short drive and a long 3 wood go the same distance) and the accuracy isn't as bad you think. Or it could be that you suck with the driver:). And if you suck then figure out why. It isn't worth guessing. Hit up a monitor and figure why your driver isn't flying as far. Maybe your strike is bad, maybe your driver isn't good, or maybe you just swing the driver slow (i.e. some people are just a lot more comfortable with the smaller head).

When/if you get your driver fixed, put a 3 wood shaft in it, or cut down a driver shaft to 44-45" for better control and hopefully improve strike

I tried that. Didn't work.

That sounds like heresy to the short shaft legion:)

Personally I would like to see actually numbers (i.e. play a couple of casual rounds and hit both 3 wood and driver on a bunch of holes) as people memory can be piss poor. You might learn that you do hit the driver longer (i.e. a short drive and a long 3 wood go the same distance) and the accuracy isn't as bad you think. Or it could be that you suck with the driver:). And if you suck then figure out why. It isn't worth guessing. Hit up a monitor and figure why your driver isn't flying as far. Maybe your strike is bad, maybe your driver isn't good, or maybe you just swing the driver slow (i.e. some people are just a lot more comfortable with the smaller head).

My thoughts are that with the smaller 3 wood head, people concentrate more on making solid contact. A nice smooth controlled swing with a 3 wood on the screws beats a loose swing with the driver off the toe or heel.