2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

The "I have terrible feet, and need help finding a good golf shoe" thread

Hello. My name is Jeremy, and I have bad feet. I have been struggling for the last 6 years to find a golf shoe that allowed me to play 18 holes of golf without my feet swelling up and feeling that I have a railroad spike driving through the bottom of my heel. It has been quite a journey trying to find the right shoe, and I thought I would share it would you guys to help all of you like me that suffer from feet.

I will very briefly tell you about me. I know there is a stereotype that only old, or out of shape, guys and girls get bad feet. I am neither of those (at least yet). I am 31 years old and used to be an avid runner until I developed a severe case of Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot about 6 years ago. I received a cortisone shot only to have the tendon rupture a few weeks later. My left foot has been completely flat ever since, and has take several years to get to the point where my body is used to having a flat foot. I have continued to work out in other ways and stay in shape, but unfortunately my right foot has developed fasciitis in the last year also. For anyone who has fasciitis or flat feet, you know the scariest part about the condition is the strain that it puts on your Achilles tendon, due to a lack of arch in the foot or excessive swelling.

The golf shoe has become the most crucial part of any round for me. In order for me to feel pain free and confident throughout the shot I needed adequate arch support and heel padding. I have gone through several different golf shoes and wanted to let you know which I thought worked the best for me, and hopefully that could help you also. All of the shoes I have tried are all still readily available on the internet. I will classify them by brand, and will rate them on a scale of 1-10 based only on comfort, nothing else. I will leave aesthetics out of this, since there are just so many different opinions on style.

Nike:

TW15's- Okay I was desperate when I bought these, and it was a major mistake. Anybody with low arches or fasciitis needs to stay away from a minimalist type shoe. These lasted about 9 holes. Comfort Rating- 3/10

Lunar Control 3'- I was super excited about these. I only wear Lunar Glide tennis shoes and find them extremely comfortable, so I thought these would be a hit for me. Not the case at all. They have little to no arch support, and the heel feels nothing like the cushy Lunarlon foam in the tennis shoes. I was super disappointed in these. I also felt that I could not tighten them not matter how hard I tried.Comfort Rating- 2/10

Oakley:

Carbon Pro 2- These were the surprise hit for me. I always loved the way they looked but had a hard time finding them. I bought a white pair from a user on here, and absolutely love them. They have a very pronounced arch, and a very comfortable memory foam insert. They are very plush. The arch is very high though, so if you have very flat feet these may hurt you. Comfort Rating- 7/10

Puma:

Biofusion-I will be the first to admit that I am a Puma fanboy, but it is hard to deny the outstanding value that their shoes are, especially if you are looking for a variety of colors. The Biofusion is the only pair of shoes over the last 3 years that I bought a second pair of. They have great midfoot arch support (without being too big) and great heel cushioning. I did need to buy an aftermarket insert for them, as the stock one was pretty thin. A great all around pair of golf shoes. I will own mine until they fall apart. Comfort Rating- 8/10

Footjoy:

DNA- These were a trainwreck for me. The heel felt like I was walking on plywood. They were returned immediately after the first round. Comfort Rating- 1/10

Adidas:

Adipower Boost 2- I have largely ignored Adidas the past couple years because I did not like their style. But, when I read up on the attributes of the Boost foam I was very intrigued. I have played 3 rounds in my Boost's now and am comfortable saying that I may have found my "Holy Grail". These things are perfect for me great arch support and that boost foam in the heel never allows my Achilles tendon to compress too much, which is the root cause of most plantar fascittis pain. I love these things and am thinking about buying a pair of Tour 360 Boosts.

Comfort Rating- 10/10

I hope this helps some of you with bad feet out. I am also interested in seeing what shoes you found success with, whether you have flat feet, high arches, or wide feet. I wanted this to be a Foot Fortress of Knowledge for all of us.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me: high arches, very wide feet, size 8. In New Balance sneakers, I wear a 4E width. Not easy finding shoes of any kind that fit me properly. I have found that adidas boost 2 shoes, which are made with a wider last for 2016, are perfect for me in the wide width version.

PING G400 MAX driver, 10.5*, Tour 65 shaft
PING K15 3 wood, TFC 149F shaft
PING G15 hybrid, 23*, TFC 149H shaft
PING G400 irons, 5-U, AWT 2.0 steel shafts
PING Eye 2 XG SW and LW, TFC 149I shaft
PING Zing 5 KS stainless steel putter

I was a long time FJ guy, I mixed in a few pairs of Nike years back when the Nike Golf Shoes still looked like golf shoes and then I purchased a par of Adidas Adipure golf shoes and I was a Adidas convert. Adidas makes the best golf shoe by far. The only shoe I can walk 18 in and not feel as if I have to take them off the second I am back to the clubhouse. I still have a few pairs of FJ Icons for when I need to dress thing up a bit, but if I am walking my Adidas are my only choice.

I have similar issues. PF, left arch trauma due to having my foot stomped on, broken left ankle, and very narrow feet with high arches. I can tell in advance if it's going to rain!

The Adidas Pure 360 Gripmore shoes are by far the best fitting & most comfortable shoe I have ever worn, let alone be my golf shoes. I was hesitant to get them because they are waterproof and my feet run very hot and sweat a lot. But that hasn't been an issue. I like that they are narrow through the arch and wider in the toes. Fits my foot shape perfectly.

Thanks for the reviews Jeremy! (...from another Jeremy with bad feet). I will try the Adipower Boost asap, as I also suffer from low arches and occasional Achilles tendinitis.

I'm a little shocked you didn't get along with DNAs. They're the best for me foot-wise, just sit a little higher which sometimes leads to thin contact if I'm not careful.

You might try Skechers Elite too, plenty of room in the toe box and the heel just hugs the Achilles. Arch support might not be as good as DNA for me, but I can always slide in my orthotics if need be.

Happy walking, everyone!

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Thanks for the thorough post Jeremy. I too had foot problems this year, but of a different variety. Blisters early in the year and loss of 3 toe nails from FJ DNA's. Not sure why the FJ's caused blisters under my toe nails, as they felt okay, until near the end of a walking round. I think perhaps they were slightly too long. I thought I would have to ride for a time to heal my feet.

Then, I happened to win a pair of Adidas Boost, which saved my feet and toes for this year and allowed me to continue walking. Love them! Great support and traction and absolutely did not aggravate my very tender toes. I have narrow feet with a very low arch.

I also invested in Kentwool golf socks and would highly recommend them, especially to anyone with foot issues. These are just awesome socks for golf! They are very comfortable and really add to the comfort of any well-fit shoe. Really worth the investment, for me, especially for walking 18 - my blisters healed quickly, as soon as I started wearing them - I got 20% off ordering online as a first time buyer. They also have specials throughout the year, if you get on the email list. I got the low profile socks and have no problems with the sock slipping off the heal, into the shoe. They have many profiles of socks to suit any style. Made of merino wool, bamboo, stretch nylon and spandex.

I have also had good luck with Ecco Biom shoes as well, but I like the traction of the Adidas Boost.

Have a doctor get you some orthotics. Then get some ECCO shoes and replace the insole with orthotics. I have a buddy who does this with all his shoes both business and golf.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I am surprised that, given your golf shoe issues, you have no reviews for ECCO.

I highly recommend you get in your car, head to the golf shop, and try on every pair of ECCO shoes available in your size, spikeless preferred to spikes, and see how your foot feels.

Biom Hybrid shoes are hands down the best feeling spikeless shoe I have worn. Having said that, I just purchased a pair of FJ versaluxe shoes but have not worn them yet.

I like the BOA lacing system and would recommend that you try on shoes w that option. That lacing system allows the shoe to mold to the foot in a way that laces cannot.

Good luck w your continued search for the perfect fitting golf shoe!!

Have a doctor get you some orthotics. Then get some ECCO shoes and replace the insole with orthotics. I have a buddy who does this with all his shoes both business and golf.

Bingo! About 20 years ago I had PF and it was misery. I went to a podiatrist and he gave a a pair of orthotics to put in my shoes. What relief. I wore them daily for about a year and the PF went away. Never had a problem since.

Thanks for the reviews Jeremy! (...from another Jeremy with bad feet). I will try the Adipower Boost asap, as I also suffer from low arches and occasional Achilles tendinitis.

I'm a little shocked you didn't get along with DNAs. They're the best for me foot-wise, just sit a little higher which sometimes leads to thin contact if I'm not careful.

You might try Skechers Elite too, plenty of room in the toe box and the heel just hugs the Achilles. Arch support might not be as good as DNA for me, but I can always slide in my orthotics if need be.

Happy walking, everyone!

You're very welcome. I was surprised I did not get along with the DNA's also. I had high hopes for them. I think the heel was just too hard for my sensitive heel.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Thanks for the thorough post Jeremy. I too had foot problems this year, but of a different variety. Blisters early in the year and loss of 3 toe nails from FJ DNA's. Not sure why the FJ's caused blisters under my toe nails, as they felt okay, until near the end of a walking round. I think perhaps they were slightly too long. I thought I would have to ride for a time to heal my feet.

Then, I happened to win a pair of Adidas Boost, which saved my feet and toes for this year and allowed me to continue walking. Love them! Great support and traction and absolutely did not aggravate my very tender toes. I have narrow feet with a very low arch.

I also invested in Kentwool golf socks and would highly recommend them, especially to anyone with foot issues. These are just awesome socks for golf! They are very comfortable and really add to the comfort of any well-fit shoe. Really worth the investment, for me, especially for walking 18 - my blisters healed quickly, as soon as I started wearing them - I got 20% off ordering online as a first time buyer. They also have specials throughout the year, if you get on the email list. I got the low profile socks and have no problems with the sock slipping off the heal, into the shoe. They have many profiles of socks to suit any style. Made of merino wool, bamboo, stretch nylon and spandex.

I have also had good luck with Ecco Biom shoes as well, but I like the traction of the Adidas Boost.

The Boosts seem like a great hit Adidas right now. I am in love with the Tour 360 Boost Primeknit, but can't see paying the $240.00 for them right now. I also agree hat a good pair of socks are a must have if you have bad feet. I am partial to the Puma bamboo sock line.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Oh trust me I paid the $400 out of pocket for my custom orthotics since my insurance company would not cover them. The problem for me is that my left foot always swells up during the round and the extra height from my orthotics always makes my shoes too tight. Thanks for the advice though.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

I highly recommend you get in your car, head to the golf shop, and try on every pair of ECCO shoes available in your size, spikeless preferred to spikes, and see how your foot feels.

Biom Hybrid shoes are hands down the best feeling spikeless shoe I have worn. Having said that, I just purchased a pair of FJ versaluxe shoes but have not worn them yet.

I like the BOA lacing system and would recommend that you try on shoes w that option. That lacing system allows the shoe to mold to the foot in a way that laces cannot.

I have heard nothing but great things about Ecco's, but they are not really my style and their steep price tag always scared me away to be honest. I am not totally opposed to them someday though. I have never even tried a pair on.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

I have heard nothing but great things about Ecco's, but they are not really my style and their steep price tag always scared me away to be honest. I am not totally opposed to them someday though. I have never even tried a pair on.

I have plantar fasciitis also. I have found the Footjoy DryJoys Tour to be excellent. Good support. One of the few shoes that I doesn't give me pain even if I don't use an orthotic. For me, shoes with a rigid sole and elevated heel are best. Anything with low drop, sneaker style, or very flexible sole exaggerates me heel pain greatly. So for me the Ecco bioms were not good,drop too low. Also had problems with heel slippage in them. Just my 2 cents.

I have plantar fasciitis also. I have found the Footjoy DryJoys Tour to be excellent. Good support. One of the few shoes that I doesn't give me pain even if I don't use an orthotic. For me, shoes with a rigid sole and elevated heel are best. Anything with low drop, sneaker style, or very flexible sole exaggerates me heel pain greatly. So for me the Ecco bioms were not good,drop too low. Also had problems with heel slippage in them. Just my 2 cents.

That is a very good point. Low drop is the enemy of anyone with PF. I found that out when I tried wearing some of my old Puma spikeless shoes.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Count me among the guys who appreciate this thread. I also have very flat feet and haven't made it through a round without being in a decent amount of pain in the last few years. This is gonna be very helpful in helping me research my shoe selection. Thanks, sincerely.

I'm glad this thread is useful to you bro. I wish I could have had something like this before I spent so much money on spikes.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Try out Ecco man. My dad has very flat feet and has had multiple foot surgeries to remedy issues you are mentioning. He struggles walking golf holes due to his feet. The Ecco Biom shoes have been a world of change for him.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

So, if you have flat feet, you need MORE arch support? Am I reading that correctly? Or, do you just need to better support what little arch you have with a structured low arch? (Trying to learn something here.)

I don't have the foot problems you're describing, but three of the most comfortable shoes I've tried on this year are the high-end Adidas Boost shoes, the Puma Biodrives, and the Nike LC4s. I own the Biodrives (talking about the non-leather ones), and they are about as comfortable a shoe as I can imagine. Very soft, cushioned, and flexible. I don't love that they're a spikeless shoe, but man are they comfortable. I've got to imagine they have very little arch support, though.

The Adidas felt like the most rigid shoes of the three, but the sole cushioning was amazing. I'm not looking to spend that much on shoes right now, though.

The LC4s struck me as feeling very flat-soled, but that Lunarlon cushioning feels great underfoot. I think you'd have to wear orthotics with these, too. I have no idea how they compare to the previous LCs. I had absolutely no issue tightening these in the store, fyi.

While I don't have the PF problem (now) that you do, I have a hard time finding shoes due to an unsual size (8.5 2E or 3E).

Footjoy used to have wide options, but I've moved on from them currently, but was pleased in the past.

Adidas makes a wide version of most of their shoes and has consistently had the best out-of-the-box fit and comfort.

Ecco has a wider toe box that helps with my fit and I have heard it helps with orthotics as it provides a bit of extra room.

Higher end but worth it is Allen Edmonds. As close as you can get to custom without spending major bucks. Spiked and spikeless options also. They make their shoes on a variety of lasts, but most of their golf models are based on those that do well for activity like the Eccos. Bit of a break in period, however, but recrafting is an option later if they work for you and you want to keep a pair that has molded to your feet well.

I've never tried them, but a friend swears by Asics. They make golf models that allow him to put his orthotics in and out without trouble.

I've found that for breaking shoes in, wearing a compression sock like Swiftwick or Kentwool is the most helpful addition as it minimizes rubbing while the shoe molds to your feet. I only say this as it is likely you will be trying various shoes until you find something that works for you.

Titleist 915D3 9.5
Titleist AP3
Vokey SM8 52/56/60
Odyssey O Works Red #7

So, if you have flat feet, you need MORE arch support? Am I reading that correctly? Or, do you just need to better support what little arch you have with a structured low arch? (Trying to learn something here.)

I don't have the foot problems you're describing, but three of the most comfortable shoes I've tried on this year are the high-end Adidas Boost shoes, the Puma Biodrives, and the Nike LC4s. I own the Biodrives (talking about the non-leather ones), and they are about as comfortable a shoe as I can imagine. Very soft, cushioned, and flexible. I don't love that they're a spikeless shoe, but man are they comfortable. I've got to imagine they have very little arch support, though.

The Adidas felt like the most rigid shoes of the three, but the sole cushioning was amazing. I'm not looking to spend that much on shoes right now, though.

The LC4s struck me as feeling very flat-soled, but that Lunarlon cushioning feels great underfoot. I think you'd have to wear orthotics with these, too. I have no idea how they compare to the previous LCs. I had absolutely no issue tightening these in the store, fyi.

That's a good question. I asked my friend today, who also happens to be an Orthopedic Surgeon. He said that A person with naturally flat feet will want a shoe with less arch because the high arch would be going against the natural contour of their foot. Someone with Plantar Fasciitis on the other hand needs all the arch support they can get because the cause of PF is the plantar fascia flattening too much and eventually getting small tears in it due to the over extension of the tendon. The raised arches in a shoe also support the Achilles' tendon also which is often over extended in someone with PF.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

That's a good question. I asked my friend today, who also happens to be an Orthopedic Surgeon. He said that A person with naturally flat feet will want a shoe with less arch because the high arch would be going against the natural contour of their foot. Someone with Plantar Fasciitis on the other hand needs all the arch support they can get because the cause of PF is the plantar fascia flattening too much and eventually getting small tears in it due to the over extension of the tendon. The raised arches in a shoe also support the Achilles' tendon also which is often over extended in someone with PF.

Thanks for the education.

+1 on the pure 360 gripmore, and the leather pure 360's are close/have a similar fit. PF in left foot and these allow for good support and least amount of pain.

The other thing i do is use an insert in conjunction with a flat/barefoot like design shoe.....I've been able use some true linkswear shoes with an insert with arch support and had success going this route.

Lots of good advice above. Definitely agree with trying Ecco, using your orthotics or getting new orthotics made thinner.

At 31 it's not normal to have significant swelling pretty far down the road after a plantar fascial tear. If it's still getting that swollen that your shoe doesn't fit I'd recommend getting checked out by your doc again. Good luck.

Do you have any Outlet Malls near you with an Ecco outlet? I picked up a few pairs on BOGO sale a couple weeks ago. When you can get two pairs for $150, it's a steal. I'm wearing the casuals to work even they are so comfortable. Then I can walk 9 after work. I will admin, I liked last year's styles better than this years. Thus why the outlet is a great thing right now.

I started the year wearing Tour 360 Boost but this summer I found my feet being very tired and sore and hot at the end of the round. Tried the Adipower Boosts and they've been a revelation. Much lighter and more comfortable with what feels like more cushion across the entire footbed.

So I agree with the OP 100% - love the Adipower Boosts.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Oh trust me I paid the $400 out of pocket for my custom orthotics since my insurance company would not cover them. The problem for me is that my left foot always swells up during the round and the extra height from my orthotics always makes my shoes too tight. Thanks for the advice though.

Did you remove the insoles?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Lots of good advice above. Definitely agree with trying Ecco, using your orthotics or getting new orthotics made thinner.

At 31 it's not normal to have significant swelling pretty far down the road after a plantar fascial tear. If it's still getting that swollen that your shoe doesn't fit I'd recommend getting checked out by your doc again. Good luck.

Thanks. I have actually been back to the doc several times in the last couple years and he keeps trying to push Physical Therapy on me, which is super tough for me to find time to go to with three kids. I actually did it for three months and saw no change in my arch, so I just said forget it. I am actually getting to the point where I do not have any pain in the foot that I ruptured my PF in. My right foot is the one that is giving me trouble now.

Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser