2024 Fedex St Jude WITB Photos ×

Am I the only one on this forum...

Sean2

I am 15 and a little bit over 6'1". As verified by averaging measured drives, I can safely say that I am a consistent 281.3 yd driver :russian_roulette: . I hit my 3 around 250-260 and my hybrid around 235. My favorite shot is a teeny-baby fade that is very-controllable. I can also draw it when I want, with an occaisonal hook :) .

Though, in a tournament two days ago, I unleased a 317 yd blast as verifed by a SkyCaddie.

[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Bridgestone J33R 460 9.5* - Aldila Voodoo XNV6[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]TEE XCG6 15* - Testing [/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 18* - Aldila NV 105-X[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 24* - Project X 6.5[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Cobra '08 Pro CB Forged 5-PW - Project X 6.5 (Satin)[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Vokey SM 50* and 54* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Callaway X-Tour Forged PM Grind 58* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Seemore M1 Milled[/size][/font]

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STEVESTRIKE or anyone: I'm not joking nor am i trying to be a smart a--, but why wouldn't you count a drives distance on a dogleg by subtracting the distance left to the hole from the total yardage of the hole? I think you're saying, i have to measure my drives on a straight line from the t-box to where the ball ends up. I've played with long hitters who can hook a ball around a dogleg left and still be longer than my cut across drive. Would the long hitter get to count his total yardage because his ball followed the contour of the fairway while i would have to count my distance on the straight line my ball took. I got to thinking about what you said and it's kind of buggin me. Like i said , i'm not trying to be difficult and you are probably correct. i'm just trying to keep ahead of my son and a LEGAL 341 yds drive will be hard for him to beat. lol

STEVESTRIKE or anyone: I'm not joking nor am i trying to be a smart a--, but why wouldn't you count a drives distance on a dogleg by subtracting the distance left to the hole from the total yardage of the hole? I think you're saying, i have to measure my drives on a straight line from the t-box to where the ball ends up. I've played with long hitters who can hook a ball around a dogleg left and still be longer than my cut across drive. Would the long hitter get to count his total yardage because his ball followed the contour of the fairway while i would have to count my distance on the straight line my ball took. I got to thinking about what you said and it's kind of buggin me. Like i said , i'm not trying to be difficult and you are probably correct. i'm just trying to keep ahead of my son and a LEGAL 341 yds drive will be hard for him to beat. lol

All distances are measured in a straight line from where you hit from to the ball. That includes your Buddy's that" follow the contour of the fairway"

How is it possible or is it possible for someone with an X-Flex shaft average 275 and someone with a stock stiff shaft average 300+? I understand that not everyone is able to afford an upgraded staft but there is a huge difference between 275 and 300 as far as swing speed goes and that' s accounting for for optimal smash factor. I'm not picking on anyone but this doesn't make sense to me.

I keep my stats on occasion and average around 250, but i only count when i hit driver. On the subject of long drives, i have this question. I recently pulled my drive on a 492 yd par 5 dogleg left. The ball missed all the trees, took two big bounces on the concrete cartpath, and came to rest one yard behind the 150 marker in the middle of the fairway. Because I cut the corner, does this count as a 341 drive or should you only count straight fairway drives.? If i can count it as 341 yds, its 27 yds longer than my previuos long drive, which also hit a cart path.

I'm not sure if you are joking or not, but no you would not count that as anything. You measure your drives "as the crow flies"--in a straight line from the tee box to the ball. This is best done with a GPS unit, a laser distance finder, or Google Earth.

Oh yeah, I am a 24 handicap for all you distance haters out there!

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/style_images...e_types/gif.gif

i hate to ask this, but if 320 is anywhere near normal for you, how can you be a 24 handicap? if i could shorten the course by that much, i could shoot sub 80 with a driver and a wedge at a lot of courses.

POOOOOWWWW!!!!!! Now if you could just learn to 3 putt every green he would win half of the events on Tour!

I'm a normal 270-290 hitter. I can hit 300 if I need to but generally have to have my chiropractor with me to fix me before my next shot LOL. Anyway......I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you can keep it in the fairway and make the next shot, distance is not that important. I've played with tons of guys who claim they can hit it 300+ and either a) they can't or b) they can but it's 2 fairways to the right.

Keep it in the middle for the win. Distance isn't that important unless you are constantly coming up short on the par 4's.....if so, then do some core workouts to build your strength and get your swing checked by a pro to see if you are losing power somewhere.

Just to put this in perspective this is a list of the average tour driving distance as of June 19, 2007;

Rank Name Rnds Stat

1 Bubba Watson 53 315.1

2 J.B. Holmes 44 308.7

3 John Daly 29 308.5

4 Robert Garrigus 51 307.8

5 Harrison Frazar 52 301.6

6 Anthony Kim 61 300.5

7 Brett Wetterich 52 300.1

8 Charles Howell III 59 299.9

9 Steve Marino 60 299.7

10 Charles Warren 55 298.6

11 Steve Allan 33 297.9

12 Robert Allenby 50 297.6

13 Mathias Gronberg 48 297.5

14 Bill Haas 47 297.3

15 Nick Watney 49 297.2

Thats only the top 15, Tiger is 25th at 295.3 and there is 6 players under 270! I just have a hard time believing that any average Joe golfer is averaging over 290 when only the top 53 pros are. Personally I average about 260 (Average!) but can hit the odd 280-290 but if I want it in the fairway the lower number is usually a better option.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think these averages contain all par 4's and 5's no matter what they hit. So this is an average of shots with drivers, 3woods, hybrids (Bubba Watson mainly hits his 14° Nickent hybrid off the tee) or long irons. It's just an average stat, so if you want to compare yourself with it, you'd have to take any shanked 4i off the tee into account. ;)

Most people just look at their best drives and compare them with the tour averages but this is just comparing apples with oranges. And you're the orange!

OB

You are correct that it doesn't matter if a driver was hit off the tee. However, distance is only measured on 2 holes per round. They generally try to pick 2 relatively flat, straight holes and try to have them going opposite directions to help cancel out any wind effect.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

I am going to be honest it is mostly like 235-250 for most folks.

I think I saw somewhere that the average drive is closer to 210 yards, and people overestimate their drives by 30 yards. I hit my driver 260 carry plus roll if I hit it in the center, and the only time that I've played with another golfer at my home course who consistently outdrove me this year was a PGA assistant pro.

yeah i would agree that the average drive for all men who play is probably in that 210 range... i mean i see seniors who barely scratch that 200 yard mark, but they look like they are throwing darts... center of the fairway all day...

today i was lucky to average 250, but came into 18, playing 396 uphill into the wind, i walk up to my tee shot, and have about 75 yards into the green... me and my playing partner just looked at each other like ;)

amazing how that crap just pops out when you least try it...

It's not all about the distance, it's about making the putts too. I shoot around a 7 handicap only driving the ball around 235-245 consistently. Sure I can crank an extra gear for a 270-280 yarder if need be every now and then, but the accuracy isn't quite up there on confidence. You make your approaches close, putt well, and you score the exact same as the guy you're with driving it 320 every hole and then 3 putting. It's all about balance of the game in every aspect, not just the bomb drives.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

You guys are just short hitters, thats all. I'm not the longest at my club but still average 285-290. I can pretty much reach any par 5 in two without too much problem, in fact today I reached a 560 and 570 yarder with driver - 3 iron. I also reached a 520 with driver - 5 iron. Distance isn't what makes a great player though. 100 yards and in is where the pro's beat the crap out of the very good amatuers. I played with a pro a couple years back who is in the top 10 driving distance and kept up with him for the most part. Usually he had me by 5-10 yards. The biggest difference is he shot 65 and I shot 73. ;) LOL

I've been outdriven by my playing partners 2 times that I can remember. One just played in the U.S. Open and can consistently fly the ball about 320-330 without even thinking about it. The other was a 6' 6'' 225lb jacked kid that had faster hips and a quicker transition than anyone I've ever seen and he missed the ball once to where I was and we lasered it to 327, and we both had about a foot of roll. That said, I just played with another member on here on Sunday and hit his 16* TM hybrid over 300 yards twice. Today I was at my course and lasered 273 to the pin for my second on 18, hit 3-wood and hit it over the green on the fly. There really are people on here that hit it 300+, and I know there are more than just me.

There really are people on here that hit it 300+, and I know there are more than just me.

It's rare. I think the average golfer is underrepresented here though. Most of us here are pretty avid [read: complete golf nuts] golfers.

It's only obvious that when you get significant amount of avid golfers together, you'll have more guys who hit the ball a long ways.

Any golfer with average strength, good coordination and flexibility can hit the ball a long way with driver. Modern balls and heads create massive distance when combined with head speed.

If I extend my lag and release with more wrist and forearm rotation I can extend my distance of carry towards 290/300 but I am not confident of keeping it in the fairway. The courses we play most here are narrow and hazard rich environments so I like to swing easy and concentrate on maximizing my opportunities by hitting irons from the fairway.

I would take a 250 carry right down the middle all day if someone offered it to me.

Any golfer with average strength, good coordination and flexibility can hit the ball a long way with driver. Modern balls and heads create massive distance when combined with head speed.

lol, you just described what sounds like a talented golfer.

i think playing often and using your golf muscles definitely helps to increase distance.

lol, you just described what sounds like a talented golfer.

i think playing often and using your golf muscles definitely helps to increase distance.

Agree 100%. Not only have I increased accuracy/consistency by playing an average of 3 times per week, I have also gained considerable distance without trying.

I hit it about 275ish. What I find entertaining is that a lot of people REALLY don't know how far they hit it. People will tell me they hit it 250, then when my ball is 75 yards by them, they tell me I hit it over 300, please. Here is the moral of the story. I really raise an eyebrow when someone talks about distance especially when they state they are in the 300 yard range for an average. I've seen a lot of people hit it 300...at the range....downwind...downhill and then they assign that as their average. I play with guys who are legit 300 off the tee. They hit it about 25 yards by a bunch of guys I know who claim to hit it 300, if you know what I mean.

I hit it about 275ish. What I find entertaining is that a lot of people REALLY don't know how far they hit it. People will tell me they hit it 250, then when my ball is 75 yards by them, they tell me I hit it over 300, please. Here is the moral of the story. I really raise an eyebrow when someone talks about distance especially when they state they are in the 300 yard range for an average. I've seen a lot of people hit it 300...at the range....downwind...downhill and then they assign that as their average. I play with guys who are legit 300 off the tee. They hit it about 25 yards by a bunch of guys I know who claim to hit it 300, if you know what I mean.

I hear ya...alot of people also measure their distance based on the yardage of the hole on the scorecard. "Man that drive was 300 yards", "umm no, the tees were 25 yards up". Also driving distance is straight line distance, it doesn't work that well when you are counting your drive around a 375 dog leg and you are 25 yards from the hole. Golfer wisdom says that 375-25= 300 but if you cut the corner, your drive is really about 260.

I hit it about 250 to 265 average, I 've been playing golf a long time and with a lot of good players. Very few people can hit it on the fly 300 yards, a lot can hit it 280 and that's long IMO, I play regularly with a journeyman pro and he hits it 300 plus and the sound is different, ballflight is different and it is amazing to watch but is certainly rare. Having said that, this forum has a lot of avid and most probably very good players so I am not surprised that there are a lot of people in here that can hit it 300 yards or more.

Callaway Epic Speed Driver 10.5*
Honma TR21 4 Wood 16.5*
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21*
Honma TW 717P Irons 5 to 10
Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE Tour Rack Raw Wedges 48/10 and 56/10
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

I just got a Sky Caddie and was not suprised by my good drives, but more suprised by the "ok" drives. Of the 5 holes that I recorded during my twilight round, they were 233, 245, 289, 301, and 303. I swear I knocked the socks off those shorter drives, and the longer ones I knew were in that area. Needless to say get a sky caddie so you really know how far you hit when you brag about it on the internet.

I ran a long drive contest for a Country Clubs member Guest and had just over 80 guys take 3 swings per $10.00.

The target range was lasered at 40 yards wide and the two goal posts at the end were at 248. We set one pin at 265 down the middle. I used my Zelocity Launch Monitor and Pinseeker 1500. It was a dry day with the wind if any into the players. The dry ground helped clarify where the balls landed as you could see the dust kick up. The contest was carry only.

Without question every player that stepped up with a few exceptions expected to hit a 300 yard drive like they did on the course that day. They were all very...very disappointed and at some points argumentative despite the evidence.

1st Place was 306 and it was a bomb, 2nd was 284, and 3rd was 276. The vast majority could not clear the grid at 248, let alone land the ball near the 265 flag.

My best efforts put me at 284, and I have little doubt that was accurate. Rarely do I play when I am not the longest guy in the group or very close to it. My handicap is +1 and I play with mostly state level amateurs and some professionals from the smaller tours.

A couple of those guys can really bring it but it is uncommon.

Moral of the story what you hit on the course is a distance measured by curves, wind, corners cut and landing areas. Sometimes a drive that lands 10 yards further in carry is longer on the course because it lands far enough to take advantage of a speed alley or slope.

Most guys are not nearly as long as they think they are, if they were we'd have more tour players and long drive contest winners at my home course than populate the worlds competitive leagues.

Joe

Driver: Wilson Dynapower Carbon 10.5 GD AD DI 5S
Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower 5 & 7 Wood  GD AD DI 6S

Irons: Wilson Dynapower Forged 4-GW (Bead-Blasted) Modus 105 S

Wedges: Wilson Staff ZM Raw 54/08 58/06 Modus Wedge Flex 115s
Putter: LAB Mezz Max 

I broke 80 for the first time the other day. My average drive was around 220 yards, but I hit 13 of 14 fairways, and the one I missed was about three feet from the fairway. I relied on that, and my short game to get up and down on par 4s I couldn't reach in regulation.

Yes, I wish I had more distance, but I have to work with what I have. Where I excel is keeping the ball in play and putting. I average about 30 putts a round. I have been as low as 24 and as high as 36 putts. I also chip well, and my pitching isn't bad. But I have no distance compared to most of you on this forum.