Mizuno JPX 900 drivers

KT35

Has anyone compared the JPX900 to the Epic SZ? I hit the epic this weekend and it was a big step up from my M1. The reviews I have seen on the JPX900 lead me to believe it is as good if not better. Any thoughts?

Check out Rick Shields on youtube. He did a review on both. Compare the results of the one where he dialed in the 900 to the SZ and M1.

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

All I can say is I have owned just about every driver released these past 4 years. I have tested pretty much all. My JPX 900 driver will give me a "wow" every round. Either by the distance or how the ball hit a fairway with the type of swing that I just shamefully done.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

All I can say is I have owned just about every driver released these past 4 years. I have tested pretty much all. My JPX 900 driver will give me a "wow" every round. Either by the distance or how the ball hit a fairway with the type of swing that I just shamefully done.

TM,

Did you put the JPX900 up against the Epic or Epic SZ yet? I tested the 900 and really liked it, but I'm wondering how it compares to the Epic.

TM,

Did you put the JPX900 up against the Epic or Epic SZ yet? I tested the 900 and really liked it, but I'm wondering how it compares to the Epic.

I haven't yet. Was going to in about two weeks. It looked good in Mark's review though.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

I've had the 900 since day 1, and I've been quite happy wth it coming from the 2016 M1. However, I'm not going to lie, I've been tempted to flirt with the temptress that is the Epic SZ. That was until today.

Quick backround I hover around a 3 hdcp and driving is by far the weakest part of my game. I recently cut my driver to 43.5" and it had been revolutionary.

Hit '17 M1/M2 Epic and SZ today. Only one that was in the neighborhood of my 900 is the SZ. I had the same shaft in the SZ as my gamer only it was 44". Ball speed was 1-2 mph slower with the SZ, carry was 4-6 yards less, spin was the same. The only thing I personally experienced that the Epic displayed at a superior level was the sound. It had a very nice sound, but nothing a bit of hot melt in my 900 won't cure.

TaylorMade Stealth 7.25º | Fujikura Ventus Black 6X
TaylorMade SIM2 13.5º | Diamana Thump 75X
Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5º | Diamana Thump 85X
Titleist T100s | Dynamic Gold X7
TaylorMade MG3 50º, 55º, 60º Hi Toe  | Dynamic Gold X7
PXG One & Done | Armlock

I've had the 900 since day 1, and I've been quite happy wth it coming from the 2016 M1. However, I'm not going to lie, I've been tempted to flirt with the temptress that is the Epic SZ. That was until today.

Quick backround I hover around a 3 hdcp and driving is by far the weakest part of my game. I recently cut my driver to 43.5" and it had been revolutionary.

Hit '17 M1/M2 Epic and SZ today. Only one that was in the neighborhood of my 900 is the SZ. I had the same shaft in the SZ as my gamer only it was 44". Ball speed was 1-2 mph slower with the SZ, carry was 4-6 yards less, spin was the same. The only thing I personally experienced that the Epic displayed at a superior level was the sound. It had a very nice sound, but nothing a bit of hot melt in my 900 won't cure.

Great to hear!

Thanks for the info. Are you using a JPX900 fairway wood? If so, how is it performing for you?

Thanks for the info. Are you using a JPX900 fairway wood? If so, how is it performing for you?

I am not - I have hit it though, and it is quite nice. I'm pretty in love with my 3 wood and don't want to mess around with anything else at the moment. For those who want something that's easy to launch the 900 fits the bill. Somewhat reminds me of the Adams Tight Lies line from a few years back. Face isn't quite as shallow though.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

I hit the EPIC SZ and 900 yesterday in a sim. I was Longer with the epic, straighter with the 900.

Exact same for me. Epic was 5-8 yards longer than the JPX 900, with the Matrix Red Tie 65Q4 in the Epic and the 569 Speeder Evolution II in the Mizuno. It's just 2 sim sessions, but I have never hit a driver as straight as the Mizuno. I have the Mizuno showing up today, the Epics (bought the 3+ wood as well as the driver) on 1/27 (supposedly). The feel and sound of the Epic is much preferable to me - I'm a dull thunk guy, and the Mizuno is full on shrank noise. I will probably try the cotton balls in the Mizuno.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

I just posted something similar on another thread but I felt it was necessary to update this thread. Every piece of equipment in my bag in new expect for my driver. I have waited for over a year to develop my swing a little more and then get fitted for a driver. I was fitted earlier today at Loft golf at PGA national where they play the Honda. I waited anxiously for the release of the EPIC and new M1/2 drivers but along the way i read more and more about the JPX 900. A little about me, in May I will be playing for 2 years, consistently shoot mid 80s, driver SS 100mph.

First thing I told my fitter Mitch was I am going to be completely unbiased here today in what I decide to purchase. Price aside, I want what gives me the best numbers and dispersion. Hopped on the trackman, ready to go.

First driver I was given was the new TM M1 with an OBAN shaft. At address this was a thing of beauty. I hit about 10 balls averaging 250 and rolling out to about 258, dispersion was all over the place. Next up was the EPIC SZ with a Green OBAN shaft, once again amazing at address. I was not getting the spin I needed with the driver so he swapped out heads and gave me the GBB EPIC. I hit the longest ball of the day with the EPIC GBB around 255 carry 267 all in (note these are beat up prov1 fitting balls). The sound, look and feel of this driver is beautiful BUT dispersion was OK at best. Then, the M2 (pass), then the vertical groove driver (pass) and then he handed me the JPX 900. Initially, when I saw this driver in stores, I hated it. Blue head and a burnt orange shaft. That shaft in the sun, is beautiful and to make it even better, its a true Fujikura Speeder EVO. Its essentially buying a driver with an upgraded shaft. This thing flat out beat all the other drivers. I averaged 260 all in, my furthest was 264. What impressed me most was the dispersion. Looking at the trackman, my dispersion was tighter then the other drivers and launch and spin where i needed it to be.

Im a guy who wants to play what the pros are playing, ill admit it. When Rory bagged the EPIC I wanted it even more. But, what i learned is most important to me is shooting a lower score and becoming a better golfer and for me that starts with finding the fairway. The fact that mizuno puts a legit shaft in the JPX, I applaud that. If Cally and TM took a chunk out of their aggressive marketing budgets, they would probably put better shafts in their drivers too. This driver performs and its adjustable like no other so as my swing develops, I dont have to buy the new M3 or SUPEREPIC, maybe just a stiffer shaft.

900 closer to Ping sound territory or something else?

More like the Nike Sumo and that ilk, but not as high pitched or loud. It's not like everyone is going to be looking at you and wondering why you have the awful sounding driver, it's not that bad. The feeling as the ball comes off the face is fine, and you know what your swing did when you hit the ball, but there's a "....ssssshhhhhheeeennnnnk" sound. Nothing I can't live with if I decide to, or try to dull with cotton.

And it just so happens that the Epic, my other current contender, has nearly a perfect dull thunk feel and sound, and may go a few yards farther. It's probably going to come down to how many Epic misses there are compared with the unmissable JPX 900.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

More like the Nike Sumo and that ilk, but not as high pitched or loud. It's not like everyone is going to be looking at you and wondering why you have the awful sounding driver, it's not that bad. The feeling as the ball comes off the face is fine, and you know what your swing did when you hit the ball, but there's a "....ssssshhhhhheeeennnnnk" sound. Nothing I can't live with if I decide to, or try to dull with cotton.

And it just so happens that the Epic, my other current contender, has nearly a perfect dull thunk feel and sound, and may go a few yards farther. It's probably going to come down to how many Epic misses there are compared with the unmissable JPX 900.

looking forward to the comparison!

As am I! I will agree that after hitting the Epic SZ the sound of the 900 has become even more noticeable. I will be hot melting ASAP.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

Had first hit in the sim with the epic and epic sz, had the t800 hazrdus, could not compare directly against the jpx900. So sz was no go with my 92 mph swing speed I was getting 1000-1300 rpm of spin. Sound good like my old cobra encore, thud. Epic tried with same shaft better but still too low spin around 1700-1900 rpm with my swing speed. Was a 10.5 and was launching very low for me like 10 degrees, up it to 12.5 and much better closer to 13.

Now dispersion was pretty good but not arrow staight like jpx900..

Neither looked as good as the jpx900 to me and it was inside and dark, very shiny.

So it passed first test and will move on to on course testing this spring with another shaft. I found a 569 evo II like the jpx900 and will shaft it up and try them out.

Also tried the new m1/m2 and they were a couple steps behind the jpx900 and epic.

So we are done with picking drivers for the 2017 rotation, we have last years ping sf tec with diamana 50 r series stiff, jpx900 evo II stiff and in the mail we have a epic which will get the evo II shaft. I think based on sim testing the straightest one will win and it will be the jpx.

Have fun guys see ya later.

Next will be fairway testing to see if anything can dislodge the x2hot 4 wood with Diamana blue board 63.

Epic, fusion and jpx900 are the contenders.

Done for year selling it all.

Had first hit in the sim with the epic and epic sz, had the t800 hazrdus, could not compare directly against the jpx900. So sz was no go with my 92 mph swing speed I was getting 1000-1300 rpm of spin. Sound good like my old cobra encore, thud. Epic tried with same shaft better but still too low spin around 1700-1900 rpm with my swing speed. Was a 10.5 and was launching very low for me like 10 degrees, up it to 12.5 and much better closer to 13.

Now dispersion was pretty good but not arrow staight like jpx900..

Neither looked as good as the jpx900 to me and it was inside and dark, very shiny.

So it passed first test and will move on to on course testing this spring with another shaft. I found a 569 evo II like the jpx900 and will shaft it up and try them out.

Also tried the new m1/m2 and they were a couple steps behind the jpx900 and epic.

So we are done with picking drivers for the 2017 rotation, we have last years ping sf tec with diamana 50 r series stiff, jpx900 evo II stiff and in the mail we have a epic which will get the evo II shaft. I think based on sim testing the straightest one will win and it will be the jpx.

Have fun guys see ya later.

Next will be fairway testing to see if anything can dislodge the x2hot 4 wood with Diamana blue board 63.

Epic, fusion and jpx900 are the contenders.

I can't deal with a triangle.

TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag

I tried the 3 wood and it wasn't bad.... But wasn't great. It's easy to work both ways, but I felt it ballooned a lot .... Even when I messed with the weights, added tape, etc

The hybrid I have enjoyed though. It, and the driver , will stay in the bag

The jpx 900 driver performed great for me. Very accurate and long. It is loud.

It didn't beat out my ping g though.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I was messing around with the Epic SZ the other day, trying different shafts, etc. Not an apples to apples comparison to my 900 driver though. Epic was 3-4 mph faster ballspeed for me and seemed to go straight with the occasional one turned over left. My 900 is straight all day with maybe a slight push here and there.

Epic was also a 1/2" longer then i play my 900 and the best shaft i tried in the SZ was the Speeder 665 TS Stiff (didnt have an X). I play my 900 at 45" with a Fuji Speeder Evo III in x. I may have gotten a bit more distance out of the Epic SZ but it definitely isn't worth the switch for me. The 900 is just too good. Prefer the look, feel and sound of 900 as well. I know some people dont like the sound of the 900 but i find it sounds much different outside on the course. Can be a little loud indoors but outside it isnt as loud to me.

Oh and on a side note, i did order the 900 19* hybrid the other day. Fairway didn't do it for me but the hybrid is awesome. Not gonna be the longest hybrud out there but i want it for a specific distance area so it works for my needs. Only hybrids I've played consistently before this one was interestingly enough, Mizuno JPX-EZ hybrids from a few years ago (the black with orange paint). Mizuno deserves way more credit and recognition for their wood lines

This is the first time I've hit a driver that bested the 900 - It will be a battle royal for who claims the spot in the bag. That being said the Epic SZ failed to meet my expectations for the third time now.

PXG One & Done | Armlock

As am I! I will agree that after hitting the Epic SZ the sound of the 900 has become even more noticeable. I will be hot melting ASAP.

I am going to be bagging the 900 this spring as well. Do you think you are going to add just enough hot melt for acoustics or will you also be changing the weight properties as well?

I am going to be bagging the 900 this spring as well. Do you think you are going to add just enough hot melt for acoustics or will you also be changing the weight properties as well?

Well I have cut my driver down to 43.75" so I will be using the hutment for both sound and swing weight. Would like to get it back up to D4

PXG One & Done | Armlock