2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Oakley Prizm Field Lense for Golf?

Patrick_O

Thought I would go ahead and post this as a topic. Has anyone used the Prizm Field lens (the baseball outfielder lens) for golf? It is supposed to sharpen white images like balls in the sky. I would appreciate any feedback from folks who have compared it to the Prizm Golf one.

Cleveland XL Classic Driver
TaylorMade RBZ Stage2 Strong 3 Wood
Ping G15 4 Wood
Adams Super S 3H Hybrid
Adams Idea Black CB3 Irons 4-PW
Ping Tour S 52 and 58
Yes Tracy Putter / McGregor Bobby Grace M1 Putter

I haven't tried the prizm golf lens outside, only in the store, but when I was looking for a new lens it was between the field and golf. The guy that worked in the Oakley store told me they were very similar but the field version would be a little darker and let less sun in. I play most of my golf on bright sunny days so I went with the field for that reason. I love them on the course and they really brighten the greens and there is a good contrast between colors.

I purchased the golf lens at first but changed to the field lens due to sensitive eyes. During a bright sunny day I either play with the field lens or a black lens.

During a sunny day I think the golf lens is probably too light for most people while the field lens works perfectly. Increases the contrast almost as good as the golf lens and is definitely better than any other darker lens out there.

Outfield/Field is ideal for bight days.

They have the similar base lens color (Megenta for Field/Outfield, and Ruby for the Golf), the golf lens is slightly more rose in color, but not significantly. The Field lens has a light transmission of 15% versus the Golf Prizm lens with 30%. The Field (or Outfield - same lens Oakley is just confusing everyone with that term) is great for bright days. The Golf lenses is ideal for cloudy or overcast days.

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

I have it. I like it better than the Prizm Golf as I find that lens too light for my preference. That said, if you don't mind polarized (and I don't), the Daily Prizm and the OO Positive Red Iridium are better. VR28 Black is pretty nice too.

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W irons

Mizuno S23 54, Ping Zing Lob wedges
Axis1 Rose putter

I have it. I like it better than the Prizm Golf as I find that lens too light for my preference. That said, if you don't mind polarized (and I don't), the Daily Prizm and the OO Positive Red Iridium are better. VR28 Black is pretty nice too.

If you had to pick one for tracking ball flight which would you choose?

Ping G15 4 Wood
Adams Super S 3H Hybrid
Ping Tour S 52 and 58

Don't hesitate to get the Prizm Field. If asked to pick amongst all, I'd go OO Red, but truth be told, I think I fall for the Oakley marketing more than I should and have way too many lenses.

Axis1 Rose putter

I have the Golf Prizm lenses. They work great and I wear them under all light conditions. I see the ball in flight just fine most of the time. I tend to lose it once it hits the ground,,,,,,,, but then I always did,,,,,,,,,

I figure Oakley has done far more research than I could ever do myself,,,,,, so I guess I trust them,,,,,,, and since they have their reputation on the line,,,,,,,,,,, :dntknw:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

I figure Oakley has done far more research than I could ever do myself,,,,,, so I guess I trust them,,,,,,, and since they have their reputation on the line,,,,,,,,,,, :dntknw:

I guess I have two problems. First I am an engineer. Second as a first wave Gen Xr I have trust issues. ;-)

Ping G15 4 Wood
Adams Super S 3H Hybrid
Ping Tour S 52 and 58

I have the Golf Prizm lenses. They work great and I wear them under all light conditions. I see the ball in flight just fine most of the time. I tend to lose it once it hits the ground,,,,,,,, but then I always did,,,,,,,,,

You sound like everyone's favorite customer. Believe all the marketing and trust what they are feeding you ;)

I honestly think the prizm golf lens is one of their most annoying lenses, next to Fire.

I have a number of lenses that I wear in varying conditions for golf. OO Red, G40 Transitions, G30, G20 Black iridium, and Prizm trail. The G30 and G40 are better for me than the Prizm Golf at that light transmission.

You sound like everyone's favorite customer. Believe all the marketing and trust what they are feeding you ;)

I honestly think the prizm golf lens is one of their most annoying lenses, next to Fire.

I have a number of lenses that I wear in varying conditions for golf. OO Red, G40 Transitions, G30, G20 Black iridium, and Prizm trail. The G30 and G40 are better for me than the Prizm Golf at that light transmission.

I probably research as much or more than most,,,,,,,,,,

But you have FIVE different Oakley golf sunglasses and you think *I* would be their best customer ? :cheesy:

Let's see now. 1 for sunshine, 1 for clouds,,,,,, and then ? 1 for rain ? Wind ? Cold ?

Prizm Golf lens works great,,,,,,,,,,,, for ME,,,,,,,,,,,, I used to dislike playing in sunglasses and now I wouldn't play without 'em.

And when an EXPERT in the field, one who spends millions annually in R&D to make different lenses for different lighting and sporting conditions says one is better for this, rather than that, when they have NOTHING to gain,,,,,,,,,,, because they could just as easily tell me "the other one is just a good - take your pick" and make the same $$$ off my decision, then yes, I tend to listen to and "trust" them.

Another (5) lens works better for you and you can wear each one under different conditions for golf ? Good for you.

You have the spare cash lying around to have all those different glasses ? Again, good for you. I don't have that kind of scratch to have 5 different $150+ glasses. Good for you. Different strokes and all. :hi:

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Ok back to the original question. For those who have tried the Prizm Field how do like them compared to Prizm Golf? If you have not tried the Field Lens, no need to respond. Thx

Ping G15 4 Wood
Adams Super S 3H Hybrid
Ping Tour S 52 and 58

But you have FIVE different Oakley golf sunglasses and you think *I* would be their best customer ? :cheesy:

Let's see now. 1 for sunshine, 1 for clouds,,,,,, and then ? 1 for rain ? Wind ? Cold ?

Prizm Golf lens works great,,,,,,,,,,,, for ME,,,,,,,,,,,, I used to dislike playing in sunglasses and now I wouldn't play without 'em.

And when an EXPERT in the field, one who spends millions annually in R&D to make different lenses for different lighting and sporting conditions says one is better for this, rather than that, when they have NOTHING to gain,,,,,,,,,,, because they could just as easily tell me "the other one is just a good - take your pick" and make the same $$$ off my decision, then yes, I tend to listen to and "trust" them.

Another (5) lens works better for you and you can wear each one under different conditions for golf ? Good for you.

You have the spare cash lying around to have all those different glasses ? Again, good for you. I don't have that kind of scratch to have 5 different $150+ glasses. Good for you. Different strokes and all. :hi:

My point was only that you said you trusted that because they market them as the best lens for golf, that they are. It doesn't matter how many lenses or glasses I have, only that I've tried a lot of tints and have enough experience with them to comment. Don't need to turn this into a financial discussion (I don't get why there needs to be so many passive aggressive comments like that), but in case you care, those lenses were a fraction (1/4 in some cases) of the $150 you mention.

Bottom line is that a lot of people dislike the Prizm Golf lens because it is such an aggressive contrast, very light and color fades.

OP is asking about the field tint because there are some others that also work well for golf. There is no one size fits all and just trying to make sure people make educated decisions.

Sorry OP, back on topic. I'd love to see some comparison pics from those that have both.

My point was only that you said you trusted that because they market them as the best lens for golf, that they are. It doesn't matter how many lenses or glasses I have, only that I've tried a lot of tints and have enough experience with them to comment. Don't need to turn this into a financial discussion (I don't get why there needs to be so many passive aggressive comments like that), but in case you care, those lenses were a fraction (1/4 in some cases) of the $150 you mention.

Bottom line is that a lot of people dislike the Prizm Golf lens because it is such an aggressive contrast, very light and color fades.

OP is asking about the field tint because there are some others that also work well for golf. There is no one size fits all and just trying to make sure people make educated decisions.

Sorry OP, back on topic. I'd love to see some comparison pics from those that have both.

Passive aggressive ?

The guy asked about which was better for tracking and I simply gave my opinion about the Prizms and my reason for buying that particular lens.

You were the one who jumped in with "You sound like everyone's favorite customer. Believe all the marketing and trust what they are feeding you"

I'd already concluded, from my research, that Oakley's were the ones I wanted for playing GOLF.

I was relating Golf Prizm's to OTHER Oakley lenses and suggesting THEY have done all the research.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Ok back to the original question. For those who have tried the Prizm Field how do like them compared to Prizm Golf? If you have not tried the Field Lens, no need to respond. Thx

I like the Field better than the Golf. The Golf are just too light. They both have a rose-ish tint.

Axis1 Rose putter

Well, I finally had a chance to test out several Oakley lenses in the Oakley shop, which had direct access to the outside (unlike some shops in malls I visited). Here are my findings:

I much preferred the Prizm Field to Prizm Golf, especially in full sun. I do admit I could make out slightly more contrast in greenery with the Prizm Golf, but both equally popped white objects, which was my main interest. Since I have had LASIK and have somewhat sensitive eyes (hayfever) I found the Prizm Golf to allow too much light in except when the conditions turned more cloudy. The Prizm Field was just right for me.

I tried out the Prizm Road and found these to be somewhat similar to the Positive Red. Nice to look through but I felt Prizm Field and Prizm Golf to provide better contrast for green / white objects.

Prizm Trail was interesting and would be advantageous in a wooded or low light setting but I found them much too yellow and bright in full sun.

I also liked Prizm Daily quite a bit. These do not provide the contrast but would make a nice second lens for a sports frame, especially in non-sport use.

I was extremely impressed with the Oakley rep's knowledge. I have not been able to confirm this but he commented that Bubba Watson has used the Prizm Field in addition to Prizm Golf and prefers the Field (maybe someone can comment on this). The rep said they go through quite a bit of training so they can be knowledgeable regarding their products. I could tell the guy was passionate about Oakley and his work.

Lastly, I had originally planned to go for the Radarlock frame with Path lenses, but the rep wanted me to also try out the Radar EV with the Pitch style lens. I am glad I did since the Radar EV fit my face much better that the Radarlock, I preferred the EV temples, which have slight indents so they do not stick out as far to the sides as the Radarlock temples. Also, the Pitch lens provided much better coverage/protection for my eyes than the Path.

In summary, I can recommend the Prizm Field for golf, as posters above have noted. Also, if you are in the market for a new frame, I highly recommend that you speak with an Oakley rep directly so they can give you some guidance for your needs. Again, I found the rep's advice invaluable.

Cheers,

Patrick

Ping G15 4 Wood
Adams Super S 3H Hybrid
Ping Tour S 52 and 58

Well, I finally had a chance to test out several Oakley lenses in the Oakley shop, which had direct access to the outside (unlike some shops in malls I visited). Here are my findings:

I much preferred the Prizm Field to Prizm Golf, especially in full sun. I do admit I could make out slightly more contrast in greenery with the Prizm Golf, but both equally popped white objects, which was my main interest. Since I have had LASIK and have somewhat sensitive eyes (hayfever) I found the Prizm Golf to allow too much light in except when the conditions turned more cloudy. The Prizm Field was just right for me.

I tried out the Prizm Road and found these to be somewhat similar to the Positive Red. Nice to look through but I felt Prizm Field and Prizm Golf to provide better contrast for green / white objects.

Prizm Trail was interesting and would be advantageous in a wooded or low light setting but I found them much too yellow and bright in full sun.

I also liked Prizm Daily quite a bit. These do not provide the contrast but would make a nice second lens for a sports frame, especially in non-sport use.

I was extremely impressed with the Oakley rep's knowledge. I have not been able to confirm this but he commented that Bubba Watson has used the Prizm Field in addition to Prizm Golf and prefers the Field (maybe someone can comment on this). The rep said they go through quite a bit of training so they can be knowledgeable regarding their products. I could tell the guy was passionate about Oakley and his work.

Lastly, I had originally planned to go for the Radarlock frame with Path lenses, but the rep wanted me to also try out the Radar EV with the Pitch style lens. I am glad I did since the Radar EV fit my face much better that the Radarlock, I preferred the EV temples, which have slight indents so they do not stick out as far to the sides as the Radarlock temples. Also, the Pitch lens provided much better coverage/protection for my eyes than the Path.

In summary, I can recommend the Prizm Field for golf, as posters above have noted. Also, if you are in the market for a new frame, I highly recommend that you speak with an Oakley rep directly so they can give you some guidance for your needs. Again, I found the rep's advice invaluable.

Cheers,

Patrick

I'm in the same boat with LASIK. The Golf are such a high contrast lens that I just couldn't wear them in bright light at all. G30 are tolerable.

You are right with the Trail. They are excellent in cloudy, dusk, and grey winter golf skies.

If you didn't see this, I took a ton of comparison pics of most of the prism lenses in the first post here. Really shows the tint on the white background so you can see similarities and differences.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/947909-oakley-lens-tints-and-general-oakley-discussion-examples-included/

Cheers,

Patrick

Thank for the writeup Patrick. Good job.

As luck would have it I ordered another set of Golf Prizms off eBay and got the Field (Baseball) glasses sent to me. Got them in white so I'd have a pair in black and a pair in white. Since I picked them up in the mailbox on my way out I opened the box and saw the mistake. I wore them for a while in the car.

They are clearly darker than the Golf Prizm's. Vision as excellent (of course). Didn't get a chance to try them hitting golf balls or reading greens as I didn't want to wear them too much befgore retuning them for the correct ones.

I had Lasik too, and coincidentally, have hayfever as well but have no trouble with too much light coming through even on sunny days. Maybe because the Lasik was a long time ago (2000) ?

Anyway, sounds like you got the lenses for you.

And thanks again for the write up.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

I have worn G30 for such a long time except when conditions were the brightest. After moving to Florida I found more bright days and less tree shade. Positive Red has become one of my go to's.

The Prizm golf definitely makes everything brighter. I find it covers a wider spectrum of conditions yet it is still 30% light transmission. It was excellent for my trip up to Niagara Falls.

I went with the Prizm Road and like the slight contrast and its light transmission in brighter conditions.

Oakley has been confusing with its baseball Prizm offerings as there used to be a Prizm Infield and Outfield lens. I may have to get the Prizm Field to try, but have moved to slightly less contrast lenses for the Florida sun.

Thanks for the great assessment it's a great suggestion for those wanting a contrast lens that is slightly darker to look through.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Cheers,

Patrick

I had Lasik too, and coincidentally, have hayfever as well but have no trouble with too much light coming through even on sunny days. Maybe because the Lasik was a long time ago (2000) ?

Everyone has different eyes. Some more sensitive to begin with. Eye color generally also relates to light sensitivity, but not always. In some cases LASIK can make light sensitive eyes a bit worse. Dried eyes from allergies accentuate this as well (LASIK also makes dry eyes worse in some cases).

You seem to be one that wasn't adversely affected, which is great. Most people that love the Golf lens say they aren't really sensitive to light, so it definitely plays a factor. The Trail lens is also very aggressive and I wouldn't even consider those on a sunny day.

Just curious, were you sensitive to light after surgery? Would be interesting to see if it shifts for some. I had a tough time for about 6 months when driving at night with oncoming headlight glare/halos. That subsided over time as my eyes settled after the surgery.

Prizm Baseball Outfield

Light Transmission....15%

Light Conditions........Changing Conditions

Contrast.....................Increased

Base Lens Color.........Magenta

Prizm Road

Light Transmission....20%

Light Conditions.......Changing Conditions

Contrast....................Increased

Base Lens Color........Indigo

Prizm Golf

Light Transmission....30%

Base Lens Color.........Ruby

Prizm Trail

Light Transmission....36%

Base Lens Color.........Grapefruit

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Prizm Baseball Outfield

Light Transmission....15%

Base Lens Color.........Magenta

Prizm Road

Light Transmission....20%

Light Conditions.......Changing Conditions

Contrast....................Increased

Base Lens Color........Indigo

Prizm Golf

Light Transmission....30%

Base Lens Color.........Ruby

Prizm Trail

Light Transmission....36%

Base Lens Color.........Grapefruit

Helpful. Here are the other lenses discussed:

OO Red Iridium Polarized

Light Transmission: 18%

Light Conditions: Bright Light

Contrast: Increased

Base Lens Color: Rose

VR28 Black Iridium

Light Transmission: 18%

Light Conditions: Bright Light

Contrast: Increased

Base Lens Color: Bronze

Axis1 Rose putter

Cheers,

Patrick

Everyone has different eyes. Some more sensitive to begin with. Eye color generally also relates to light sensitivity, but not always. In some cases LASIK can make light sensitive eyes a bit worse. Dried eyes from allergies accentuate this as well (LASIK also makes dry eyes worse in some cases).

You seem to be one that wasn't adversely affected, which is great. Most people that love the Golf lens say they aren't really sensitive to light, so it definitely plays a factor. The Trail lens is also very aggressive and I wouldn't even consider those on a sunny day.

Just curious, were you sensitive to light after surgery? Would be interesting to see if it shifts for some. I had a tough time for about 6 months when driving at night with oncoming headlight glare/halos. That subsided over time as my eyes settled after the surgery.

Yes, eye color does count (as I recall). My eyes are brown - I believe that makes them a bit less light sensitive.

As I recall I only had light sensitivity for a few days after the surgery. Halos around lights lasted a while but not all that long as I recall - maybe a couple of weeks - but it was over 15 years ago. I sometimes have trouble with remembering stuff from 15 minutes ago. :cheesy:

The Prizm Golf are just fine for me. Looking at them next to the Field lenses I can certainly see the color is quite a bit lighter than the Field's and I guess I can understand people with more sensitive eyes preferring a darker shade.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

• 6 months later...

Any updates on this topic? I currently have Flak 2.0's with gray polarized RX lenses (VLT around 17%). They work very well as an all around lens. I use them for golf, and on sunny days, they're great, but they are very neutral and don't provide any contrast so sometimes it's tough to track the ball. Also, sometimes I wonder if the polarization affects the ability to track the ball. I have a nonpolarized pair of transitions which are a touch darker when they're activated, and sometimes I'll switch between the two and it seems like I can make out the ball better at further distances with the nonpolarized transitions.

Anyway, I was considering Prizm golf as a dedicated golf lens, but at 30%, that would be too bright on sunny days for my sensitive eyes. I also considered prizm daily polarized, but they are too dark, and don't really offer much contrast, so they aren't much different than the gray polarized I currently own.

The reason for my post -- I am considering Prizm field, but at 15%, I'm wondering whether they will be too dark on overcast days, or will the contrast make them seem brighter than the rated 15% VLT.

e

I haven't tried the prizm golf lens outside, only in the store, but when I was looking for a new lens it was between the field and golf. The guy that worked in the Oakley store told me they were very similar but the field version would be a little darker and let less sun in. I play most of my golf on bright sunny days so I went with the field for that reason. I love them on the course and they really brighten the greens and there is a good contrast between colors.

This is the exact reason I bought the field over the golf. Plus I love them while playing softball.

I have found good success with the Prizm Road on mostly sunny days. Not too dark, highlights yellows and whites, slight contrast, blueish base color. 20%

http://www.oakley.com/en/prizm/sport

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

I have fields. They are ok for overcast days. Great for sunny days. But Ive started preferring no glasses on overcast days.

The prizm golf really bother my eyes because of the color gradient on the lenses. If I recall the periphery is more yellow and the center more rose, so I get a lot of color differences when looking to the periphery between my two eyes.

Just got my Flak 2.0 XL's with the Field lens in them yesterday. Supposed to rain all weekend here but maybe I'll at least get to wear them on the way home today. Looking forward to trying them as I've been wearing VR28's for golf. I'm an Oakley ho' so I've got several choices. I tried the Prizm Golf last year and they were too light for me.

[u][b]WITB[/b][/u]

Callaway XR16 10.5
Callaway XR16 4W
Callaway XR16 7W
Callaway XR OS 4H
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW
Callaway MD3 50S, 54S, 58S
SC Newport 3
Callaway Supersoft

Any updates on this topic? I currently have Flak 2.0's with gray polarized RX lenses (VLT around 17%). They work very well as an all around lens. I use them for golf, and on sunny days, they're great, but they are very neutral and don't provide any contrast so sometimes it's tough to track the ball. Also, sometimes I wonder if the polarization affects the ability to track the ball. I have a nonpolarized pair of transitions which are a touch darker when they're activated, and sometimes I'll switch between the two and it seems like I can make out the ball better at further distances with the nonpolarized transitions.

Anyway, I was considering Prizm golf as a dedicated golf lens, but at 30%, that would be too bright on sunny days for my sensitive eyes. I also considered prizm daily polarized, but they are too dark, and don't really offer much contrast, so they aren't much different than the gray polarized I currently own.

The reason for my post -- I am considering Prizm field, but at 15%, I'm wondering whether they will be too dark on overcast days, or will the contrast make them seem brighter than the rated 15% VLT.

e

I'm just looking into rx oakleys my question is are the whole lens prescription or are they inlays ?