Oakley Prizm Field Lense for Golf?

Patrick_O

I'm just looking into rx oakleys my question is are the whole lens prescription or are they inlays ?

Depends on the lense. Smaller lenses for my Carbon Fiber Oakley Half Jacket 1.0 are RX whole lens. Back then I was also looking at the Radarpath and it was inlay so that was a no go for me.

I have not tried the Prizm Field but had the G30 and G40 in my various Oakley frames. The Prizm Golf performs perfectly fine in bright sunshine, I play here in Los Angeles and it rarely rains, sunshine, sunshine almost 365 days of the year and frankly, the Prizm Golf helps with the fading evening light a lot for those late tee times or crowded days. If I had the Prizm Field, it would have been glasses off for me.

Here is a review of my RX lenses done in the Prizm Golf. I am estatic I have decent RX lenses on my Oakley frame and see the balls fly & not lose it in the sky.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

regarding letting in too much sun, does everyone wear hats?

Can't speak for everyone else, but I do. I'm not sure that a hat really makes much difference other than shading from glare directly from the sun. If I'm looking down the fairway on a sunny day, and not looking directly into the sun, the light transmission through the lenses is too high with the Golf lenses. Much better with the Field.

Just got my Flak 2.0 XL's with the Field lens in them yesterday. Supposed to rain all weekend here but maybe I'll at least get to wear them on the way home today. Looking forward to trying them as I've been wearing VR28's for golf. I'm an Oakley ho' so I've got several choices. I tried the Prizm Golf last year and they were too light for me.

After Action Report:

I finally got a round in Saturday in bright sun. No issues with being dark enough and they do seem to help me follow the ball inflight but only so long as I'm more or less in-line with the ball path. From the side they still don't help but that's more of a perspective issue than a lens issue I suspect. Recommended!

[u][b]WITB[/b][/u]

Callaway XR16 10.5
Callaway XR16 4W
Callaway XR16 7W
Callaway XR OS 4H
Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW
Callaway MD3 50S, 54S, 58S
SC Newport 3
Callaway Supersoft

• 9 months later...

Just got my Flak 2.0 XL's with the Field lens in them yesterday. Supposed to rain all weekend here but maybe I'll at least get to wear them on the way home today. Looking forward to trying them as I've been wearing VR28's for golf. I'm an Oakley ho' so I've got several choices. I tried the Prizm Golf last year and they were too light for me.

After Action Report:

I finally got a round in Saturday in bright sun. No issues with being dark enough and they do seem to help me follow the ball inflight but only so long as I'm more or less in-line with the ball path. From the side they still don't help but that's more of a perspective issue than a lens issue I suspect. Recommended!

So a year later I am interested to see if the Field lens is still your go-to golf lens. Coming from G30 polarized (that is a single lens solution for me) I am researching options since my Rx has changed and I can no longer get the G30...OR can I still special order the G30 iridium or polar? The golf lens is too bright in West Texas.

After Action Report:

So a year later I am interested to see if the Field lens is still your go-to golf lens. Coming from G30 polarized (that is a single lens solution for me) I am researching options since my Rx has changed and I can no longer get the G30...OR can I still special order the G30 iridium or polar? The golf lens is too bright in West Texas.

I have also heard there is a Prizm Dark Golf lens now available in the Targetline frame. Anybody heard if this will be a Rx lens option in the not too distant future?

I bought the field lens for the brightest days, because even with a Nike full brim hat, the golf lens wasn't dark enough for me.

I have red hair and blue eyes and my eyes are pretty sensitive to light compared to others.

A friend who was a portrait photographer at Jackson Hole said that most of the blue-eyed lighter complexion people had eyes that were more sensitive to the sun.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

After Action Report:

The Field lens is a good all around lens. If you like polarized, the OO Red is a good option. Prizm Daily is good too, won't be as much contrast on the course as the Field, but is good all around.

The Golf lens is way too much for me, I actually like the Trail lens for lower light conditions vs the Golf. Still wear the G30 from time to time too.

After Action Report:

The Field lens is a good all around lens. If you like polarized, the OO Red is a good option. Prizm Daily is good too, won't be as much contrast on the course as the Field, but is good all around.

The Golf lens is way too much for me, I actually like the Trail lens for lower light conditions vs the Golf. Still wear the G30 from time to time too.

I love the G30 I have and would replace it in a heartbeat if I could. Is the OO Red available now in Rx? I understood that I could only get the +Red???

I think I want to go non-polar since I have issues in the car (seeing displays) with polar. I guess I am close between the prizm field and +Red iridium. I understand there is less contrast with the +red but is that a good thing for a "single lens" solution? I cant really hit a put where I want to any way no matter how well I read the greens :stink:

Thought I would go ahead and post this as a topic. Has anyone used the Prizm Field lens (the baseball outfielder lens) for golf? It is supposed to sharpen white images like balls in the sky. I would appreciate any feedback from folks who have compared it to the Prizm Golf one.

I use them and like them because they're not too dark. The contrast seems very good on them I'm glad I bought them. They're very light wait as well.

• 2 months later...

I've been using the Prizm Field lens now for 2 months and find it MUCH MUCH better than the Prizm Golf. I too used to have the G30 Rx in Flak Jackets until they broke after about 4 years of use. Now I wear contacts to play golf so no need for a lens that is usable in cloudy, mornings, or dusk conditions. The Prizm Field reminds me very much of the G30 and is a great blend of protection and use in variable light, especially when super sunny.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

• 5 years later...

Bumping this thread to see if there are any updated opinions on Prizm Golf (regular or dark) versus Prizm Field, to be used exclusively for golf.  My main concern is being able to track the ball in flight.  I currently have Prizm golf RX (not dark).  I've had them for about 5 years and for some reason I'm not tracking the ball well. 

1 hour ago, e-man said:

Bumping this thread to see if there are any updated opinions on Prizm Golf (regular or dark) versus Prizm Field, to be used exclusively for golf.  My main concern is being able to track the ball in flight.  I currently have Prizm golf RX (not dark).  I've had them for about 5 years and for some reason I'm not tracking the ball well. 

prizm field all day my guy. If they can track a baseball we can track a golf ball. 

I’ve had mine for about 3 months 

im sure prizm golf is good too but I don’t like the see thru look 

Switched to Field about 3 years ago. Easier to track the ball and gives me more depth perception due to the lower light transmission and darker lens. Felt like I was wearing the Prizm Golf solely for benefit of name and what it was supposed to do, while the Field provides (for me) noticeable advantages and my eyes generally feel better after a round of golf. Still provides the pop of color with the lighter objects and red/rose contrast. Also feel like I can read the greens better with the Field. 

The only time I don't have them on is overcast with dark clouds - then it is too dark for them to do their thing. But even overcast with light to lighter gray clouds, it still helps a ton. 

• Like 1

TSR4 9* with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X
SIM2 13.75* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70TX

SIM2 17.5* with PX Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 80TX
Srixon ZX7 4-9 with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 46F with KBS $-Taper 130X
Titleist SM9 50F with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM9 54S with KBS $-Taper 130X

Titleist SM8 58L with KBS $-Taper 130X
Brandon Matthews NO.1 CAP Custom

Titleist ProV1

Posted (edited)

If you have cateracts, most commonly due to getting old, you may need more light transmission from your sunglasses.

My wife said the world got a lot brighter after having cateract surgery on both eyes.

I just bought a pair of Zenni Dark Amber prescription sunglasses.  OK for bright days not if it gets cloudy.  Likely to be just right on a snowy winter day.

I have a pair of Ambers on order.  They are cheap enough that I'm not out much if they aren't just right. 

It is an average of $60 per pair factoring in discounts, shipping, and taxes.  Double that for finding glasses that I wear all the time.

Buy the slightly more expensive frames that fit better.  Buy an extra eyeglass case or some other accessory to get a large discount minimum. Spent $5 to save $35.

Edited by ShortGolfer