Clay Ballard, Top Speed Golf

mvhoffman

If you have never seen them on YouTube, check them out. I have had some issues with my game lately going all the way back to my basic grip. I watched the "Crazy Detail" golf grip video from Clay and could not stop watching. He has a realistic approach to teaching. It just worked. Anyone else enjoy the Topspeedgolf video series?

• Thanks 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I have watched almost every single video of his ever since he started @ Rotary swing.

I love his videos and feel many of them are relevant without go too crazy.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Clay's one of the best instructor's on the net! IMO

All his vids are done in HD,excellent audio and very thorough and straight to the point....with no BS'n with students etc. just HIM.

Also joined his w/s which has a ton more info,online lessons and just about any question is answered in a very timely manner.

For only $47 a year (cancel at anytime) TSG is a helluva deal!

What I think I enjoy the most is that he explains the basics. He actually breaks down the basics and makes them understandable to see why they are basics. It just adds a little more of an understanding concept to our frustrating passion we know as golf.

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I've watched some of his videos and like many of the Top speed Golf ones. I think his previous stuff at a competitor when he was touted as the "Lag Doctor" can be very dangerous. Preoccupation with lag and float loading can cause terrible problems. For this reason I don't really like the free preview he includes with his youtube videos.

I've watched some of his videos and like many of the Top speed Golf ones. I think his previous stuff at a competitor when he was touted as the "Lag Doctor" can be very dangerous. Preoccupation with lag and float loading can cause terrible problems. For this reason I don't really like the free preview he includes with his youtube videos.

Its funny you state this, While generally speaking and many of the instructors here agree, and I TOTALLY see where you are coming from. His "Lag Doctor" drills actually taught me something I totally misunderstood.

With that it did take me a little longer to understand what it truly meant, but when it "clicked" the flood gates opened up and my game has changed for the better.

The issue is the explanation and the true understanding of Lag. I and I assume many think lag is something that we consciously are aware of and with that, people will intentionally add lag causing more of the issues.

When you "finally" understand what the heck he finally means, everything starts to really really click and again those doors really really open up!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone a current all access member to his website? If so, what do you guys think about the member exclusive videos, vs. the ones publicly available on YouTube?

I just ended my membership a couple of days ago. I originally joined because I was bored one day and thought I'd see what he teaches because I like to learn as much as I can about the swing. It's all good stuff, but the problem is the same one that any online golf instruction academy has and that's there is no hands-on teaching. I think a lot of people that have been playing for a while need someone to identify what they're doing wrong and then correct it. This won't do the first and even correcting it after it's been identified, a lot of time you'll need a hands-on experience.

Even if you were willing to go to Orlando to see Clay, he doesn't do in person lessons. You can do an online video lesson, but I don't think he is the one reviewing it. The reason he doesn't do in person lessons is because of the amount of time he dedicates to the academy. His website is first class all the way and he puts out new videos every couple of days or so. You won't have to worry that he's letting things go and not keeping things current.

The members' videos are in sequential order and have drills. For some of the drills, he recommends doing 3000 repetitions before you move to the next video. Like I said before, it's all good stuff, but my opinion is that's it's aimed more towards a beginner who doesn't know the basics about the golf swing. If you're an active reader of this forum, you likely know a lot of the basic concepts through Monte, Dan, and others' explanations of various topics.

It's pretty inexpensive to join, so for $8/month, I would encourage you to see for yourself to see if you like it.

• 1 month later...

Is anyone a current all access member to his website? If so, what do you guys think about the member exclusive videos, vs. the ones publicly available on YouTube?

I just signed up for the monthly yesterday.

I signed up for it because it seems more like an organized "system" for someone who is struggling with their overall swing.

I think the free videos are great if you know *what* is wrong with your swing and can focus on that specific area.

I just got back from SCW, AZ and played 7 or 8 rounds over 2 weeks after only playing 2 rounds in my whole life.

My first round was 113 and my final round after getting some feedback from the many loving seniors (lol) was an honest 94.

Before that, just breezed over Shawn Clement's beginner and 2013 series which helped open my swing up a lot.

I still hit the ball inconsistently, so that's why I went for Clay's system because he seems to care about anatomy as much as Shawn Clement does but gets more into detail.

Shawn is great but he has too many videos and its overwhelming. I'll probably visit him soon for some instruction -- he's only 1 hour away from me.

Give me about a month with Clay's system and I'll let you know how my consistency improves. I'll be a range rat for 2 or 3 days a week since it's... well.. Canada here. ;-)

Cheers.

• 3 months later...

I am starting to watch his "Road to 125mph" series. Do folks think the membership is well worth money?

I previously watched a lot of Me and MyGolf series -- but am starting to like Ballard's emphasis on speed and muscle building drills. I am 5'10" - former FB, Rugby (in college) and wrestler -- I weigh 205 lbs, and am in good shape, and workout 5 times a week either cardio or strength training. I strike the ball well - but not crazy long distances (well struck driver is 260 - 275). I feel like working Ballard's drills and flexibility and speed/strength drills like I can get that clubhead speed up from 104 to 110 or more.

Anyone else had success with his system?

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

• 1 month later...

Wow, just effortless power in his swing. I'm going to start looking at his website more.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

I think he is a great instructor. One reason, he can do what he talks about.

He is such a good athlete he can make a horrible swing and show you what caused it, then make a perfect swing.

In some of his videos he describes concept then brings out the flight scope and shows the numbers. Slice drives for 200yds, then straight for over 300yds.

He also knows what it's like to get frustrated and not hit good shots, he admits his mistakes from younger days, and talks about overcoming them.

I have been watching him since his previous employer, and on his own site, can't say enough good things about him.

So many helpful points he addresses than none of my previous instructors have even mentioned

i think hes one of the best you tuber instructors out there. he taught me how to produce lag in my swing, I watch most of the guys on you tube like rick shiels, peter finch, mark crossfield, etc they all bring different things rick n pete more for entertainment, mark for the fun and hes different approach from everyone.

a new one ive found that doesnt get as many views is Van phillps, hes videos are not as polished as the others yet but some of the stuff he teaches is so different and really helpfull

Here's kind of a synopsis of what Clay teaches......great swing IMO!

[media=]

[/media]

His launch monitor data is ridiculous....

115 mph club speed with 11 launch and 3000 spin = 323 yard drive :nono:

Then he hits it 332 with a 116 mph swing, 10 launch, 2400 spin and a 1.43 smash factor (165 ball speed).

Then a 330 drive with 120 mph, 9* launch and a 1.40 smash factor.

Uhm... no. His data is off by about 40 yards.

That said, I do enjoy his videos as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone try out their unlimited swing reviews option? If yes, is it similar to RotarySwing?

WITB:
Driver: Srixon 745 9.5* Diamana Ion Blue X
4 Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner 16.5* White Tie X
5 Wood: Nike SQ 2 Tour (w/Project X 6.0)
Utility: Srixon 745U 23* Project X 6.0
Irons: 5 - PW Srixon 745 Project X 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (50*,54*,58*)
Putter: Odyssey Versa Works 33"

His super detail golf grip video has helped me out a lot. It was different at first, but after continuously doing it over the winter it has helped me get in all of the right spots. Not for everyone, but greatly helped me.

I started watching his videos I signed up for one month. I'll report back.

I like his concepts. While he is certainly in business for himself and will prompt his product, there doesn't seem to be a gimmick in the swing that he teaches. Seems pretty straight forward. I like that he seems to answer the question about lag and the release. Basically, lag is created on the downswing but you can not hold off lag, it must fully release or you're going to hit right blocks and slices. This answered a lot of questions I've had about some instructors saying that you "hold the lag" while others are saying to "release as early as possible." Reminds me of Freddy Couples saying that he holds onto his angle but then lets them fully go through impact and pivots as hard as he can.