2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clay Ballard, Top Speed Golf

mvhoffman

What is "the move" he talks about? I think he explains this in his subscription videos.

WITB 2023

Titleist TSR3 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Callaway Apex UT 17 Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7x
Sim 2 Rescue 19* Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 85X

TaylorMade P770 2017 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120x
Titleist Vokey SM8 50*,54*,58*
Scoty Cameron Phantom X 9.5
Titleist Pro V 1 or TP5.

Titleist Linksmaster Club Bag

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

He's good but there's people on the 'tube who I trust more because they aren't trying to directly sell me themselves, or a product in each vid. I can't fully trust a guy who at the end of every video says something along the lines of, "and if you want even MORE *insert distance, power,lag here* check out my website, yadda yadda" which then leads you to some kind of paid subscription. That's fine and all... but most of the top guys online are PGA pro's who teach for a living anyway.

Mike Newton, MeandMyGolf, Monte, Shawn Clement, Shiels...Crossfield... Finch.. you name 'em, all good teachers, but aren't trying to get me to go sign up for their catchy websitename.com after each vid.

Not saying Clay isn't a good teacher or that he doesn't have a nice swing but that one little part bugs me a touch. Call me paranoid..

He's good but there's people on the 'tube who I trust more because they aren't trying to directly sell me themselves, or a product in each vid. I can't fully trust a guy who at the end of every video says something along the lines of, "and if you want even MORE *insert distance, power,lag here* check out my website, yadda yadda" which then leads you to some kind of paid subscription. That's fine and all... but most of the top guys online are PGA pro's who teach for a living anyway.

Mike Newton, MeandMyGolf, Monte, Shawn Clement, Shiels...Crossfield... Finch.. you name 'em, all good teachers, but aren't trying to get me to go sign up for their catchy websitename.com after each vid.

Not saying Clay isn't a good teacher or that he doesn't have a nice swing but that one little part bugs me a touch. Call me paranoid..

Everyone one of these guys is selling something. Clay is just much more direct about it and considering the fact that you can watch hours and hours of his quality videos for nada, I'd say its a pretty good deal:)

Everyone one of these guys is selling something. Clay is just much more direct about it and considering the fact that you can watch hours and hours of his quality videos for nada, I'd say its a pretty good deal:)

Correct. Directly or indirectly everyone is selling something and this isn't a criticism.

I've watched Clay a couple times demo this move, but still not sure I get it.

He talks about bowing the left wrist at the top during the start of the downswing.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Who wins in a fight between the Lag Doctor and Monte Scheinblum?

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

It's the best $47 I've spent related to my golf swing.

Is Clay's paid subscription 1v1, where you send him swing vids? Or is it just a "locked vault" of videos not available on youtube?

• 1 month later...

I have become friends with a you pro here and now that its winter we have lots of time to talk in the clubhouse and he speaks highly of Clay too. Funny thing is I was watching his videos before the young pro brought it up.

I definitely think a key quality of Clay is that he comes across as likeable. Sounds like a small point, but I think that's huge when people are tuning in to watch someone they don't know on YouTube and trusting that they're legit.

I like his videos, but I wish he's temper the 'infomercial' aspects that he's borrowed from his previous employer: 'Be the first one to out-drive all of your friends'... 'Click to watch this exclusive video which is only available free for a short time'...

He's a solid instructor, so he just doesn't need all that nonsense, IMO.

Hey, 'PaulGT3' has a 50th Anniversary?

• 1 month later...

I joined Rotary Swing just to see the Lag Doctor videos. The dipshot who runs Rotary thinks he swings like Tiger but tells us that he's "only" a +3 because he hates to practice putting. I'm glad Clay has his own gig now. He's a likable guy and has a pretty good swing that looks athletic and powerful and not "wooden" like the Rotary guy (who ripped off some chick and pirated her methods). Clay is fun to watch but "5 Lessons" and a large bucket will do you much, much better.

I joined Rotary Swing just to see the Lag Doctor videos. The dipshot who runs Rotary thinks he swings like Tiger but tells us that he's "only" a +3 because he hates to practice putting. I'm glad Clay has his own gig now. He's a likable guy and has a pretty good swing that looks athletic and powerful and not "wooden" like the Rotary guy (who ripped off some chick and pirated her methods). Clay is fun to watch but "5 Lessons" and a large bucket will do you much, much better.

Quinton ripped off Alison Thetje.

I like them but I'm not sure if he does this any more but I remember a lot of click bait-ish titles being tossed around such as "THE ONE REAL SECRET TO LAG" and "THE KEY TO INSANE DISTANCE" type of things, and then a link to a paid for service at the end where the "real" secret is revealed.

From recent videos with Robin this doesn't seem to be the case anymore, but I always get a little sketched by guys who give free advice but then in the same video ask you to go sign up for their paid sub that's "better". Why don't I like it? Because there are many other youtube coaches out there who give most if not all their advice for free or their paid "sub" is just an in person lesson (that they don't really advertise). Call me crazy but I don't really want to pay money when I can't get any feedback. To me, "feedback-less" golf lessons should be free... it's just generic advice and sometimes even a bit of opinion tossed in. The real money comes in when you spend time with me... help me one on one (or group session) and actually work with my swing.

Does the rotary swing service at least allow you to send in video and get some real feedback?

• 1 year later...

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to give my feedback. I've been playing for 22 years (I'm 52 now), and my scores were stuck in the 90-105 range. Typical high handicapper. I watched tons of YouTube videos, Golf Channel Academy, took lessons at GolfTec (very expensive), and beat balls on my own. Hit the occasional 86-89 score, but totally a fluke. I came across Clay Ballards's YouTube videos, and really felt a connection with his explanations and general demeanor. I decided to take the plunge and signed up for 1 year of access - $47/year, less than the cost of a box of ProV1's.

The basic program is called Top Speed Golf, with different video modules covering stance, turn, downswing lag, impact, release, etc. Not exactly set up for a true beginner, but perfect for someone with a few years of golf experience. I've been working through the various modules and doing the drills, and have really felt an improvement in my swing. Far more consistent and solid ball striking. Even my buddies noticed I'm hitting better and my swing looks much smoother. I've started scoring in the 85-95 range, and feel I could easily go lower if not for short game & putting weakness. I typically play 1-2 times a week at familiar courses.

In addition to the basic TSG program, he has tons of other modules covering other aspects of golf, like short game, bunkers, putting, overcoming hooks & slices, etc., in addition to a monthly video Q&A with his instructors. I know on YouTube he comes across a little infomercially, but I'm very satisfied. Really feel I'm getting the tools to improve, and ability to make corrections as needed. Best $47 I've spent on game improvement for sure.

I also signed up for his 13 week program called Ball Striking Master Class ($147), which concentrates on ball striking. Not much work on technique, but more on practice methodology, with lots of drills where you hit draws, fades, extremely thin, fat, toe, heel, high, low, etc. Basically really work on controlling the club. Also includes access to a private Facebook group where you upload swing videos weekly, and get feedback from an instructor. I intend to work through both TSG (technique focus) & BSMC (practice methodology and ball striking drills) through the winter, and really feel that I'll be in much better player when spring rolls around. The $194 I've paid is basically the cost of just 1-2 private GolfTec lessons, and I've made a lot more improvement than $1,000 worth of GolfTec lessons.

There is an additional option for unlimited online swing reviews ($75/mo), but spots are limited, and I haven't gone in for that yet. Hope this helps anyone looking into this.

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

They are all trying to sell themselves, just like the many instructors who give free advice on this sub. They do it because it's free advertising and leads to dvd sales, clinics and lessons.

If anything it's probably more honest of Clay to be upfront about this. He puts out a ton of free content, and if you like it you sign up to his paid videos, if not just keep watching the free ones.

I understand the annoyance of being petered with sign-up buttons; but actually at least he's being up front unlike many other pros.

• 1 year later...

His videos on proper weight shift are really good. I also think he offers a lot of useful info on how to create a longer, flowing swing that is easier to execute. Doesn’t bother me that he also pitches his web site in the midst of a video of free instruction. Trying to make a living. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 8/28/2017 at 12:23 PM, GeorgeBailey said:

That's true. It's still $47 in 2020 but it gets you a lot of his material on his website. However, you get bombarded with a lot of promo emails so thats the downside.

For a regular rotational swinger, IMHO, his teachings is top notched. He explains things really well and his videos are clear and well shot.

I have a subscription till May 2021, not sure if I'll re-up the $47 or not since my swing is now one plane...

Edited by SwingBlues

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 1 month later...

Found this thread doing a search of Clay Ballard and Golfwrx.  I found a video of his on the downswing transition.  What I took away was this, start the transition to the front side while finishing your backswing and think of a little jump rotation to swing from there.  It really clicked for me, and just hit a few balls with my Mevo Plus and it was really good.  Picked up about 5 yards of carry with my 8 iron.  Finish is balanced on the front side.  Really good video and I am excited to try it out on the course tomorrow!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

• 6 months later...

I joined the basic membership last year. Immediately I was disappointed to find out that a swing speed monitor was HIGHLY recommended as a way to expedite the process, so I bought a used one. Not the one they were selling. I found that much of the instruction was just ok, things I knew or tried in the past. It might be useful for a newbie to golf, which is not me.

Now they are pushing their masterclass for additional money. I already cancelled my membership months ago and would never had joined had I known about the need for a swing speed monitor that I will be selling soon.