2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MEMBER TESTING: Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi shafts. Read reviews here!

HipCheck

First and foremost I really appreciate MRC Golf and GolfWRX the opportunity to test-drive this shaft! First I would like to give Mr. Joe Hamada at MRC golf a huge shout out! Joe was fantastic in keeping me in the loop on the shaft and details of the order...TOP KNOTCH customer service. There is a little problem with the order but Joe is currently working on it and I should have resolution next week. My original post requested a 70 gram STIFF but after talking to Joe we decided on a X-STIFF based on SS and desired results. He was very helpful and even though he was under the weather he was willing to take questions and make sound recommendations. Second thing that changed from my original post was the driver; I had some disagreements with Callaway Golf so I switched to Nike. Customer service goes a LONG way with me so you can see why I was so delighted with MRC Golf and Mr. Hamada. Once I get back from deployment the wife is going to send me to Taylormade for a KINGDOM fitting so I wasn't worried about Nike equipment...plus the VAPOR FLY PRO is LONG...just watch Rick Shiels YouTube video.

CURRENT SET UP:

Nike Vapor Fly Pro

Tensei CK Blue 50 X-STIFF

11.5 degree and draw

Little bit about my game: I currently play to a 1.8 HCP but that is largely based on my scrambling and putting game. The ONE part of my game that is inconsistent is the driver, so you can imagine why I jumped at the chance to give this shaft a go! It is probably inconsistent due to me being one of the biggest GolfWRX "ho's" on this site, just check out my feedback and that’s all primarily trades!

I have a pretty steady back swing and a REALLY deliberate down swing, which I think, gets me into trouble. My SS can top out at 110 but it normally ranges from 105-107 with a CONTROLLED swing around 102 or so. You are asking yourself how do I know this, well my really good friend works at a golf shop and I go in and use his stuff. That is going to be PART 2 of my evaluation of this shaft, maybe next week!

YESTERDAY CAME HOME TO THIS:

Lets see what’s in the box:

The box is cool enough!

Its contents:

Kind of sad I didn't get a personalized letter but the HAT and SHIRT made up for it...see the smile (I don't smile much)!

I took a couple of swings in the back yard and it really feels smooth! I little butt stiff but the tip really feels active...cannot wait until tonight when I hit the range. Going to REDO the pictures in landscape later when I get home.

UPDATE 1/5/2017:

I have had 27 holes with this shaft and my initial thoughts are....I love this shaft! My last full round of 18 I played a REALLY tight course, Mt Woodson here in California and I hit 100% of the fairways.

Some shaft comparison:

Feel wise it's definitely smoother and even though I have a STIFF I don't think it’s lagging behind and I am able to produce a smooth right to left draw! I am currently gaming the D+ and the Tensei Blue...TWO totally different shafts IMO. I have matched the D+ and the KK Silver Dual TiNi for this round and my initial thoughts and hopes were the KK would fall to the D+ because I love the Diamana series! I was TRULY wrong, the D+ felt really HARSH after hitting the KK Silver. For trajectory I thought for the most part the two were very similar, but the D+ was inconsistent between too high or too low. The KK just seemed to be very consist in height and distance. For my swing I felt like the KK Silver was a "little" longer than the D+ but I am excited to test the X-STIFF that will be on its way soon. I think the X-STIFF will take enough spin off to make it MUCH LONGER than the D+ at that point. Too me if the Diamana + and Tensei were going to have a baby this is the shaft they would deliver.

I will be adding photos of this round once I get off the ship and onto some Wi-Fi.

Next round will be the KK Silver vs. the Tenei Blue....

I was able to break away for a quick range session yesterday. Again many thanks to MRC for allowing to test their products.

I will start my post off with background information on my game;

In 2016 I held a USGA index between 4 and 6. I get the opportunity to play about once a week with an additional 2 range sessions worked in also. My SS with a driver has averaged 113 leading to decent driver carry numbers. My swing is short and creates a great amount of lag with a - AOA. I played most of the 2016 season with a titleist 915d3 9.5 driver shafted with an UST chrome + 7x tipped 1/2". Typical ball flight is mid trajectory with a small draw.

January 5 - I was able to work in my first range session of 2017 knowing the rain was scheduled again today. I conducted my normal warm up with my irons before getting to my driver. I started with hitting 7 ball with the chrome +, then 7 balls with the kk, I considered this my driver warm up. Then for reviews I switched every 5 drives for the next 20 balls.

Shaft being tested is 70 TX tipped 1/2" and d4 driver sw to match my current setup

KK feel - In my opinion the kk had a great smooth feeling. This was the first item that stood out against my current shaft. I felt a more than normal active tip section close to impact. A small concern was the shaft felt weak to flex. Normally most of the 7x's I have played with feel extremely stiff. That feel normally puts me at ease knowing i can go after a ball and the shaft stays with me.

KK launch - During the alternating of shafts my ball flights were higher with the kk in direct comparison to the chrome +. I also noticed with the kk wanting to fall off to the right which is not the norm for me.

For reviews on distance, and spin I need to put this shaft on the course. I plan to accomplish that soon, but I thought this was a good start.

Titleist Tsr2 9* / TPT Power 17Lo
Titleist Tsr3 15* / Ventus OG blue 7s

Callaway UW 21* / Fujikura motore VC 8s 
Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW / C taper r 110
Titleist SM9 raw 50.54.58 LZ 5.5
Titleist ProV1
LAB DF 3

Got a call from MRC last night asking for my shirt size, so hopefully I'll have the shaft some time next week and then work on testing the week after that.

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

First off THANKS to MRC for doing these promotions here on Golfwrx!

I was the one of the lucky recipients to test the Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi shafts. After a phone call with the guys at MRC I settled on a 60 TX. The TX are not stiffer than the normal X just a tighter overall shaft with more exotic materials.

Silver Dual Core TiNi 60 TX, untipped, cut to 45.25" for a Taylormade M2 driver. Adapter was installed in the upright position one click to the LOWER setting. This gets the lie angle up a little as the M2 is 56* and the standard the last 10 years has been closer to 59*. One click lower should have this playing right around 9* loft with a nice square face angle. Swingweight came in at D5 compared to my normal setup that was D3. Balance point on the shaft must be a bit lower.

The boys down at MRC nailed the install. I happened to be visiting my in laws in San Diego during the holidays so I had the shaft drop shipped to their house. I wanted it as I knew I would be able to get a round under my belt with it in good conditions down in So Cal. The box came with the shaft, a nice letter, a sweet hat, and a sweet T Shirt! Thanks for the extras! The graphics are second to none. Beautiful shaft!

About Me: Current index is 1.6, been playing golf for 35 years. Former Division 1 player, tried my hand on the mini tours for a few years, worked on the PGA Tour as a rep for a bit. Now approaching 40, waistline a bit bigger, swingspeed down a bit, game shows some rust as I don't play as much as I'd like....kids you know coaching soccer, baseball etc....

I have been bagging an M2 for about a year now. Originally I ordered it with an Aldila Rogue 60 X untipped. That shaft was great when I was swinging great but when I wasn't I found it very unforgiving. Very anti left shaft for me but I lost it right more often then I liked. I stuck my Fujikura Speeder 6.3 X form an old SLDR driver in the M2 as I felt it had more mid kick. The shaft profile helps me straighten out my right shot a bit. My miss is partly a swingfault. I tend to hang back a hair and my hands get high through impact. Working with a buddy Glenn Jarvis at Tri Valley Golf Center in Livermore, CA. If you are in the area go see Glenn. He knows his stuff and has a Trackman.

My recent Trackman numbers with the M2/6.3 combo was +4 on angle of attach, 15* launch, 1850 rpm's on spin. Like I said I hang back a hair.

Unfortunately I have not been out to see him to compare Trackman #'s with the KK Dual Core. Nor Cal has been getting pummeled with rain (thank god because we had a severe drought going). I will get out there soon I promise!

On Course: Like I said I was able to play a round with it. I was swinging well. First round in San Diego (before I got the shaft) I shot a tidy 69 with 4 birdies and 1 bogey. Drove it great long and straight. For my next round later in the week I was able to give the KK Dual Core a test run. Compared to the 6.3 I found it to have similar launch and spin but it seemed to flatten out a bit more and roll out more. I have played this course (Morgan Run CC probably 50 times and know where I usually hit it). There were multiple holes where I had some closer distances in than normal. Like #8 on the South Course. I absolutely nutted one and had 53 yards in. Hole is 363. I have never been up that close. The hole before #7 par 5 I reached with a 4 iron. Have not done that in forever. It felt like the KK has tighter dispersion as well.

This shaft is the real deal. If you have played any MRC shafts you will know that familiar smooth feel. I have played many of their shafts over the years, mainly leaning towards the Blueboard profile. Sometimes the blue profile can play a little loose in the lighter weights IMO. One of my all time favorites was the Kaili 70 X. The Whiteboard/ahina/D profiles never really jived with me. They were just a bit too mid/tip stiff for my tastes. Just my opinion but if the Blue profile and White Profiles had a baby the KK Dula Core Silver would be it. It to me just has a tightened up Blue profile.

Anyway I'll update here again once I can get on Trackman and play another round with it. Need some sunshine first forecast looks bleak the next few days.

UPDATE: JANUARY 19, 2017

I was able to play a round with the KK Tuesday. Hard to tell about the overall distance as the course was a soupy mess of mud and soft conditions. In my first round I definitely noticed the flight being flatter but launch still being really good. That combo produced some roll.

No roll in my recent round but I still saw the same ball flight. I adjusted the adapter to std UPRIGHT setting from UP/1 towards LOWER to help square the face up a bit. As others have confirmed this shaft has ANTI LEFT tendancies. I wouldn't say as much as the Rogue Silver though. I don't miss too far right with the KK but the Rogue I could block off the earth. This shaft just has awesome feel though. I can feel it kick, it is smooth, and a nice feel at impact. It reacts well to good swings for sure. As I mentioned the build with the KK swingweights out to D5 and the Rogue was D1. I had some lead tape on the head with the Rogue. The balance point definitely affects feel to me and is better with the KK.

Will get on Trackman soon to compare!

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

First off THANKS to MRC for doing these promotions here on Golfwrx!

I was the one of the lucky recipients to test the Kuro Kage Silver Dual Core TiNi shafts. After a phone call with the guys at MRC I settled on a 60 TX. The TX are not stiffer than the normal X just a tighter overall shaft with more exotic materials.

Silver Dual Core TiNi 60 TX, untipped, cut to 45.25" for a Taylormade M2 driver. Adapter was installed in the upright position one click to the LOWER setting. This gets the lie angle up a little as the M2 is 56* and the standard the last 10 years has been closer to 59*. One click lower should have this playing right around 9* loft with a nice square face angle. Swingweight came in at D5 compared to my normal setup that was D3. Balance point on the shaft must be a bit lower.

The boys down at MRC nailed the install. I happened to be visiting my in laws in San Diego during the holidays so I had the shaft drop shipped to their house. I wanted it as I knew I would be able to get a round under my belt with it in good conditions down in So Cal. The box came with the shaft, a nice letter, a sweet hat, and a sweet T Shirt! Thanks for the extras! The graphics are second to none. Beautiful shaft!

About Me: Current index is 1.6, been playing golf for 35 years. Former Division 1 player, tried my hand on the mini tours for a few years, worked on the PGA Tour as a rep for a bit. Now approaching 40, waistline a bit bigger, swingspeed down a bit, game shows some rust as I don't play as much as I'd like....kids you know coaching soccer, baseball etc....

I have been bagging an M2 for about a year now. Originally I ordered it with an Aldila Rogue 60 X untipped. That shaft was great when I was swinging great but when I wasn't I found it very unforgiving. Very anti left shaft for me but I lost it right more often then I liked. I stuck my Fujikura Speeder 6.3 X form an old SLDR driver in the M2 as I felt it had more mid kick. The shaft profile helps me straighten out my right shot a bit. My miss is partly a swingfault. I tend to hang back a hair and my hands get high through impact. Working with a buddy Glenn Jarvis at Tri Valley Golf Center in Livermore, CA. If you are in the area go see Glenn. He knows his stuff and has a Trackman.

My recent Trackman numbers with the M2/6.3 combo was +4 on angle of attach, 15* launch, 1850 rpm's on spin. Like I said I hang back a hair.

Unfortunately I have not been out to see him to compare Trackman #'s with the KK Dual Core. Nor Cal has been getting pummeled with rain (thank god because we had a severe drought going). I will get out there soon I promise!

On Course: Like I said I was able to play a round with it. I was swinging well. First round in San Diego (before I got the shaft) I shot a tidy 69 with 4 birdies and 1 bogey. Drove it great long and straight. For my next round later in the week I was able to give the KK Dual Core a test run. Compared to the 6.3 I found it to have similar launch and spin but it seemed to flatten out a bit more and roll out more. I have played this course (Morgan Run CC probably 50 times and know where I usually hit it). There were multiple holes where I had some closer distances in than normal. Like #8 on the South Course. I absolutely nutted one and had 53 yards in. Hole is 363. I have never been up that close. The hole before #7 par 5 I reached with a 4 iron. Have not done that in forever. It felt like the KK has tighter dispersion as well.

This shaft is the real deal. If you have played any MRC shafts you will know that familiar smooth feel. I have played many of their shafts over the years, mainly leaning towards the Blueboard profile. Sometimes the blue profile can play a little loose in the lighter weights IMO. One of my all time favorites was the Kaili 70 X. The Whiteboard/ahina/D profiles never really jived with me. They were just a bit too mid/tip stiff for my tastes. Just my opinion but if the Blue profile and White Profiles had a baby the KK Dula Core Silver would be it. It to me just has a tightened up Blue profile.

Anyway I'll update here again once I can get on Trackman and play another round with it. Need some sunshine first forecast looks bleak the next few days.

Many accurate points in this review.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

This thread is about the Silver TiNi Dual Core.

At this point the DC XT shaft is Tour only. Some of the testing I have read about the new DC XT indicates the shaft is mid launch and very low spin with excellent dispersion.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Tested the Dual Core against some lower end / older shafts yesterday at the range into some decent headwind, all x-stiff, 45" playing length. Hey, I get bored and have a bunch of junk laying around my house.

Aldila NV - Pretty decent ballflight, good launch, good carry, decent dispersion, shaft felt awful, hard to hit center of face. But performance was good for a $20 shaft. Maybe I could cut it down and play a short Jimmy Walker type driver with it.

Matrix Ozik XCON 6 - Higher launch, touch more spin than the NV, ball falls straight out of the sky at the end. Shaft felt better than the NV. I would not play this shaft, even for the $20 I spent back in the day.

Grafalloy Prolaunch Red - Good launch, medium to low, bullets through the sky with great rollout. A little boardy, feel is the only drawback with this shaft. This would be a solid choice against the Dual Core especially for the price.

Project X PXV - Don't...just don't. Why was this shaft made? In no way was it better than the NV or the XCON, in any category.

So, in summary, the Dual Core was by far the best feeling shaft out of the bunch. It was the most consistent in hitting the center of the face, great launch angle and good spin/carry. The only one of the four shafts above that could compete is the Prolaunch Red, and that is only in ball flight, not feel.

good reviews, wish i could have participated! This is one shaft on my list i need to hit before pulling the trigger on my Epic

Financial Advisor (PM me)

Driver: Epic SZ 9*. Fuji Tour Spec VC 7.2 X + Tensei Orange V2 TX
Fairway Wood: Epic SZ 13.5* Hzrdus Black 6.5 85g (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC 8.2 or Atmos Black 80 TX)
Hybrid: Titleist H2 19* w/ Whiteboard 90x (In search of Fuji Tour Spec VC)
Irons: Miura/Steel Fiber 110
Wedges: Titleist SM5 56, SM6 52
Putter: Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Ball: ProV1x/Callaway Chrome

2015 Evo X (Full Bolt Ons)
2017 Jeep Wrangler

At this point the DC XT shaft is Tour only. Some of the testing I have read about the new DC XT indicates the shaft is mid launch and very low spin with excellent dispersion.

Sort of. The TX are the Tour only version that Day, Scott, Sergio, etc. are playing. The standard silver tini doesn't come in TX so in reality this review thread has reviews of both the standard tini and the tour only TX version. The TX shafts are the 46T material, longer ti nickel fibers, lower torque, and stiffer in the tip. At this point we are calling them Tour only proto version since there isn't a plan to go retail with it at this point, and it isn't marked xt. To clarify, ALL dual core TX flex are this Tour Proto version. That is how you distinguish between the two. There is no standard version in TX.

Sort of. The TX are the Tour only version that Day, Scott, Sergio, etc. are playing. The standard silver tini doesn't come in TX so in reality this review thread has reviews of both the standard tini and the tour only TX version. The TX shafts are the 46T material, longer ti nickel fibers, lower torque, and stiffer in the tip. At this point we are calling them Tour only proto version since there isn't a plan to go retail with it at this point, and it isn't marked xt. To clarify, ALL dual core TX flex are this Tour Proto version. That is how you distinguish between the two. There is no standard version in TX.

I did not know this. Good info!

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I did not know this. Good info!

It is a bit confusing since the versions are graphically the same, with exception of the TX flex marking. That's the only graphical identifier of the Tour only version, and it comes ONLY in TX.

So the Dual Core 60 TX I was given to test through this contest is actually the new version of the XT?

Titleist Pro V1X 2023

So the Dual Core 60 TX I was given to test through this contest is actually the new version of the XT?

Yes, but since there isn't any marking or xt marking on it, it's referred to on tour as dual core tour proto. It may end up being called something else so I don't want to saddle it with the xt name, but that's the long way of saying, technically yes. Yours is the upgraded materials, $400+ version.

Jan 18th testing session 2

I put the KK on the course for 9 holes yesterday.I had the front 9 to myself yesterday, therefore I was able to hit a bunch of drives.

A quick reminder of the two setups I was hitting yesterday;

917 d3 10.5, 915 d3, KK 7 TX, Chrome + 7X

and

Feel - for my second impression, I felt the same as the first testing. The KK feels smooth, blueboard esk but feels like it can't keep up with my swing. Near impact you can feel an active tip section.

Flight - In direct comparison with my gamer chrome +, the KK launched higher in both the 917 and 915 heads. The KK shaft was constantly going right, which is a very unusual flight for me.

Spin - based on my flight and dispersion I felt the KK spun to much for me. I switched back and forth between 917 and 915 but never found a playable ball flight.

Distance - I marked several balls with different numbers to judge the distance. I observed the KK about 8 yards behind my current shaft because of an incorrect fit.

I set out to be completely honest about my individual experience with the KK shaft. As a company MRC has been top notch and communicating with their team has been very easy. The craftsmanship of their products is as good as it gets. If anyone is on the fence about how important fittings are, this trial should be a great lesson.

Titleist ProV1
LAB DF 3

I put the KK on the course for 9 holes yesterday.I had the front 9 to myself yesterday, therefore I was able to hit a bunch of drives.

and

Feel - for my second impression, I felt the same as the first testing. The KK feels smooth, blueboard esk but feels like it can't keep up with my swing. Near impact you can feel an active tip section.

Flight - In direct comparison with my gamer chrome +, the KK launched higher in both the 917 and 915 heads. The KK shaft was constantly going right, which is a very unusual flight for me.

Spin - based on my flight and dispersion I felt the KK spun to much for me. I switched back and forth between 917 and 915 but never found a playable ball flight.

Distance - I marked several balls with different numbers to judge the distance. I observed the KK about 8 yards behind my current shaft because of an incorrect fit.

I set out to be completely honest about my individual experience with the KK shaft. As a company MRC has been top notch and communicating with their team has been very easy. The craftsmanship of their products is as good as it gets. If anyone is on the fence about how important fittings are, this trial should be a great lesson.

What is your swing speed? I could see if you swing it 115+ how this might feel a little soft for you. I remember reading a review on the original KK Silver TiNi and the guy said that the shaft kept him off the left side of the course. I for one, have had no trouble drawing the ball with this setup which is unlike me. I actually put the weight in my 917 in the fade setting yesterday at the range. Side note, I was surprised at how much that weight straightened my flight out after drawing shot after shot.

Again this is my individual experience with the shaft. Swinging easy I avg 113. If I need to step on it I have 118-119 in the tank

Titleist ProV1
LAB DF 3

and

You mentioned communicating with the MRC team, have you discussed this incorrect fit with them? Did they offer any suggestions as to what may fit you better or why you were experiencing these results?

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Same here. I cannot get the ball to go left unless I really force it. And for me, more often than not, results in a quacker into the left rough.

Note, my driver swingspeed is ~110.

Again this is my individual experience with the shaft. Swinging easy I avg 113. If I need to step on it I have 118-119 in the tank

You do realize the 70tx is the dual core Tour proto? The exact same shaft Jason Day, Adam Scott and Rory McIlroy use? I've never heard anyone say that this shaft feels loose or can't keep up. The opposite at times, is the response. It's the choice of guys swinging 125+mph on Tour. I could see that feeling with Tensei product, if you had a very fast transition, because of it being softer in the butt, but not KK. Not knocking your review, just saying I've seen about 20 guys hit this with my own eyes and never heard anything like this. In all honesty, I'd communicate with Mitsubishi as to the intricacies of your swing so they know what type of player might have the opposite feel view as the mass majority. FYI, it's also the LOWEST spin shaft we've ever evaluated.

Ron - I have asked a couple questions.

Toll - I have a beginning season trackman session every yr and I will fix some driver swing weight issue then see the actual numbers.

Titleist ProV1
LAB DF 3

I updated my review in my original post as I got a round in the other day.

Titleist Pro V1X 2023