Long Island Golfers

PThomas

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring is here guys... I just wanted to bring this thread back and ask if anyone is still down to get together & play 18?

I'm always down but probably a few more weeks for me until I'll get out.

2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
TM P790 UDI #2
TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
TM Spider Putter

The following is the aeration schedule for the spring:

Red – April 16th and 17th

Green – April 18th and 19th

Blue – April 23rd and 24th

Yellow – April 25th and 26th

I'm also curious to know about the conditions. Nothing has really started to grow yet, so I can't see them being great, but hopefully the greens are rolling fine. Playing the Red this weekend.

The following is the aeration schedule for the spring:

Red – April 16th and 17th

Green – April 18th and 19th

Blue – April 23rd and 24th

Yellow – April 25th and 26th

I'm also curious to know about the conditions. Nothing has really started to grow yet, so I can't see them being great, but hopefully the greens are rolling fine. Playing the Red this weekend.

Can't comment on conditions but here's what's new as far as course renovations and updates...

http://www.golfonlongisland.com/teebox/2018/04/bethpage-black-opens-tomorrow-with-renovated-greens-bunkers.html

Surprised to hear about the work on 18 Black. For all the negative comments about the hole being too easy for the pros, they are making it easier by widening the fairway. Makes no sense to me.

Plus, I thought it was a very unique looking hole from the tee. Without the bunkers pinching in, it's going to look more cookie-cutter. Don't understand this change at all.

Surprised to hear about the work on 18 Black. For all the negative comments about the hole being too easy for the pros, they are making it easier by widening the fairway. Makes no sense to me.

Plus, I thought it was a very unique looking hole from the tee. Without the bunkers pinching in, it's going to look more cookie-cutter. Don't understand this change at all.

Maybe it's to entice pros to be more aggressive off the tee? Pros can lay up short of the bunkers and hit a wedge into the green now. Perhaps if the fairway is wider, they'll bang driver and try to get closer? I really have no idea. Lucas Glover hit 6 iron off the tee in 2009. I would imagine the PGA wants pros to go for the green instead of laying up.

As far as conditions go, I played Yellow a week ago. For all of the rain and snow we got in late March and early April, it was in solid shape.

Has anyone ventured out to Blue this season yet? I'm curious as to why there are plenty of times available. Am I missing something or is something wrong with the course itself? The times i'm looking at are this upcoming Friday.

Walk-up / 9-hole course this month.

How was it? Any issues or construction affecting play?

Has anyone ventured out to Blue this season yet? I'm curious as to why there are plenty of times available. Am I missing something or is something wrong with the course itself? The times i'm looking at are this upcoming Friday.

I don't know -- I was just addressing your question re: available tee times. I would guess it's going to take several weeks during the playing season for them to patch all the holes in the new web reservation system. One of them might be tee times showing up as available on the walk-up course. I could be wrong, just speculation.

If there's an issue with the course itself, there's been no indication from the park itself that would discourage people from booking.

I don't know -- I was just addressing your question re: available tee times. I would guess it's going to take several weeks during the playing season for them to patch all the holes in the new web reservation system. One of them might be tee times showing up as available on the walk-up course. I could be wrong, just speculation.

If there's an issue with the course itself, there's been no indication from the park itself that would discourage people from booking.

Oh... I wasn't referring to an issue with the system. I was just wondering how yellow got booked up so fast but blue isn't. Green is booked out on Friday too and they are being aerated this week before friday. As for 9 holes / walk up, That never get's booked up early / easily. There's always open spots for 9 holes, even when it was the phone system.

Played Red twilight on Saturday, greens were in good shape. Fairways on the first couple holes were only in ok shape but its a great time to play both the red and black as the fescue/rough in most spots hasn't really grown in yet.

Walked up 18 on black on my way back to the parking lot, it looks to be in great shape and as I said before probably about as easy as it will play all season with the fescue being down.

I guess this is a given with the weather we had Saturday, but it was a slog out there. I teed off as a single around 5 on Red and it took close to an hour to play the first 3 holes because of backups in front of me and the group directly in front of me was incredibly slow. After 3 I hopped back through the woods and played 2 and 3 again to let the congestion clear up as nobody teed off after me rest of the day.

Also not sure if this is temporary but the monitors in the clubhouse that show whats available where you pay/grab a tee time were down, not a huge deal but slowed things down a bit as everyone had to wait until they got up to the counter to ask what was available.

Oh yeah, I play the majority of my golf there so its nothing new but still frustrates me. Twilight is typically the best bet for avoiding some of it, but to do that have to tee off pretty late and know going in you're not getting 18 in which is fine with me

Actually played 9 at Merrick yesterday, only a couple other groups out there as the wind was really howling with it being on the water. Pretty much the only way to avoid the crowds around here is to play in bad weather.

I like to play before 730am during the week. Its the only way to play in 4.5 hours. The earlier the better, thats my move for public golf. I find that you can play early during the week at most public courses and be ok. I chalk up weekend rounds to slow play.

Unfortunately, working an office job in the city doesn't make weekday golf very possible for me. Can sneak out on a day here and there, but most weeks the weekend is all I've got.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Played the Blue on Monday. Fairways were good, the greens were a bit rough, but that is to be expected this time of year. Should be in great condition in a few weeks once it warms up. This rainy/cold weather is tough to get used to when you live in Florida most of the year.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

I'm supposed to play Blue Saturday morning but looks like it's going to be a wash out. Rare that it rains this many consecutive days here

Same. Was going out first slot on the Blue for 9 Hole but looks like it's not happening.

2017 M1 460 9.5 - Diamana BF 60X2017
M2 Tour 15 - Diamana CK Blue 70X
TM P790 UDI #2
TM P760 - #4-9 DG TI S400
Vokey SM6 46.08F, 50.08F, 54.10V, 58.11K DG TI S4100
TM Spider Putter

• 1 month later...

Has anyone played Eisenhower this year? How are the conditions? I've heard the greens on Red were struggling last year.

My friend plays red all the time and says conditions are great this year.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus