New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

I have not tested the app at all cause I couldn't get in. But I have isolated it to my phone I'm using a Huawei Mate 9 running Android 7. It's working on my older Motorola running 6

And that, right there, is why iPhone gets developed first every time.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

So, without the stickers, your ball speed and launch angle data stayed constant. Would that be correct to say?

Without the stickers, your spin rates did not reflect wild fluctuations. In other words, one saying 4,500 rpm's and the next 1,000. Would that be correct to state?

If I know I am getting good normalized carry yardages in a nice user interface/app, I will be extremely happy.

My spin rate with the stickers was 2722 - 2882 and without the stickers 2689 - 2726. For carry it was 196.0 - 207.4 with the stickers and 198.3 - 207.1 without the stickers.

Very good news there, looking forward to more user experiences

Great info, thanks a lot. This device sounds very interesting, I absolutely want one as soon as it will be available in Europe. On a side note, does it come with a bag, or do you just put it in your golf bag when you take it to the range?

It comes with a bag and it is small enough I can put it in the same pocket (SM C-130S) as my Skycaddie Touch and Game Golf.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

Friend loaned me his unit. Easily within accuracy limits stated for unit. Won't go on about the metallic dots which are much bigger than I imagined while the unit is much smaller than i imagined. Everything except the driver was close to the Trackman (ball speed and carry). It seems to be very sensitive to being on the same level as the ball. For everything but a driver you can get the unit back the required distance and the right level on a mat. For the driver I found you needed to get the unit back 4 feet but also on the same level as the ball on the tee. When that is done the carry distance is +- 5 yards. Pretty decent construction but the cheap wake up button might be a problem long term. On the course not very helpful..numbers did not agree with where the ball wound up using laser finder. Definitely better than the Ernest junk (12 and 14). As my skytrak arrived today I have no regrets applying my refunded $500 toward it. Overall a pretty nice little unit, but other than the need for the dots it doesn't appear to be much use on the course..(neither for that matter were the SC200 or ES12/14). That was going to my only regret for canceling but a few holes using it from light rough and fairway proved it to be of no use to me (as the skytrak is obviously useless on the course). Seemed to be fine from a tee. It is funny the little plastic gunsight they want you to use to line it up.. The only unanswered question is how it does from grass practice tees. It shouldn't make any difference but units like my SC200 that was in agreement with Trackman on mats was ludicrous from grass tees (let alone on the course) Finally bought the skytrak as I didn't want to be pestering the 2 reps that offered use of their Trackman units.

Got mine today. Did a session with just 8 iron. Rain was threatening and now coming down...

Early on, I was frustrated because the unit didn't pick up several shots. Turned out the ball wasn't quite lined up with the unit AND I did not have enough distance between my impact point and hitting net. Once I got it figured it, almost all shots were picked up.

Out of 41 recorded shots, I had two "mystery" shots (one with dot, one without) that registered clearly incorrect spin rates and thus incorrect carry distances. Otherwise, reported distances were my typical 8-iron.

Overall, pretty positive. Looking forward to some better weather and a few range sessions. If I were a higher swing speed player on the fence, I might consider waiting to read a review or two from a longer hitter. I can't speak for TM HOYER, but I'm a short hitter (typical 8-iron carry 135-140 yards).

Took mine out to the course immediately after UPS dropped it off. Here are my first impressions.

On the range:

I'll likely use the mevo 75% of the time here for dialing in distances and working on how to control spin and ball flight. I hit some with the metal sticker and some without and didn't really see any appreciable differences in numbers. Carry distances are right about what I'd expect as our range has full flight balls. It was a tad annoying having to adjust the location of the device when I was moving the ball placement around. Nothing to really gripe about.

On the course:

I wanted to see real ball and real world shot data. I loved having the mevo on the course. I set it up for all shots except for short chips and on the green. It's quick to set up and didn't add any time to my routine. The main purpose was to check my club selection based on distance from the pin and needing to carry things like bunkers or other hazards. Being able to see the trajectory of each shot was pretty cool. Definitely showed me that I need to keep working on compressing the ball :)

Overall thoughts:

Most numbers are what I see normally. I'm taking my mevo to my club fitter next week to do a trackman comparison so expect another post from me next weekend at the earliest. The one stat that seemed a bit off was club head speed. I normally swing about 103-104 mph and the mevo was reporting me at around 110mph. Ball speeds were pretty accurate though. My ball speed with my driver is about 160mph and that's what was being reported. I'm very impressed with how close the spin numbers are without the dots compared to the numbers with the dots.

I didn't have a chance to play around with the video feature of the app. I didn't have my tripod with me and I wanted to get it out on the course today.

Based on my first impression, it's a keeper.

Took mine out to the course immediately after UPS dropped it off. Here are my first impressions.

On the range:

I'll likely use the mevo 75% of the time here for dialing in distances and working on how to control spin and ball flight. I hit some with the metal sticker and some without and didn't really see any appreciable differences in numbers. Carry distances are right about what I'd expect as our range has full flight balls. It was a tad annoying having to adjust the location of the device when I was moving the ball placement around. Nothing to really gripe about.

On the course:

I wanted to see real ball and real world shot data. I loved having the mevo on the course. I set it up for all shots except for short chips and on the green. It's quick to set up and didn't add any time to my routine. The main purpose was to check my club selection based on distance from the pin and needing to carry things like bunkers or other hazards. Being able to see the trajectory of each shot was pretty cool. Definitely showed me that I need to keep working on compressing the ball :)

Overall thoughts:

Most numbers are what I see normally. I'm taking my mevo to my club fitter next week to do a trackman comparison so expect another post from me next weekend at the earliest. The one stat that seemed a bit off was club head speed. I normally swing about 103-104 mph and the mevo was reporting me at around 110mph. Ball speeds were pretty accurate though. My ball speed with my driver is about 160mph and that's what was being reported. I'm very impressed with how close the spin numbers are without the dots compared to the numbers with the dots.

I didn't have a chance to play around with the video feature of the app. I didn't have my tripod with me and I wanted to get it out on the course today.

Based on my first impression, it's a keeper.

Good info, sounds like a no brainer for $500 if the data without the dots is still good

I think it's pretty unlikely for your SS to be 104 and your ball speed 160. That's a smash of 1.54. 110/160 seems much more plausible.

Awsome Brandon! I agree with the ball speed of 160mph is around 110-113 club head speed. I will check mine on Monday vs. my SSR.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Swing speed radar reports high as measures the outside of the club i.e. The toe which is fastest moving piece. Mine is about 5mph fast

Awsome Brandon! I agree with the ball speed of 160mph is around 110-113 club head speed. I will check mine on Monday vs. my SSR.

That makes sense. I was basing my speeds off my last trackman session about two weeks ago. Driver carry distance was the same, ball speed was within a reasonable tolerance, swing speed seemed to be a bit faster than the trackman. On a trackman it's not unusual for me to see smash factors around 1.5 after I got an Epic. If only I were that consistent on the course ;)

Don't forget environmental conditions on course. E.g. Temperature, wind, slope, hardness of fairways. I find the Flightscope algorithm for the xi is spot on re what I see on the course after I've considered environment so would imagine this would be the same algorithm. Wind really really affects distance, even a 5 mph headwind causes 10 yd less carry and less roll due to steeper land angle as ball height increases due to lift and drag

Friend loaned me his unit. Easily within accuracy limits stated for unit. Won't go on about the metallic dots which are much bigger than I imagined while the unit is much smaller than i imagined. Everything except the driver was close to the Trackman (ball speed and carry). It seems to be very sensitive to being on the same level as the ball. For everything but a driver you can get the unit back the required distance and the right level on a mat. For the driver I found you needed to get the unit back 4 feet but also on the same level as the ball on the tee. When that is done the carry distance is +- 5 yards. Pretty decent construction but the cheap wake up button might be a problem long term. On the course not very helpful..numbers did not agree with where the ball wound up using laser finder. Definitely better than the Ernest junk (12 and 14). As my skytrak arrived today I have no regrets applying my refunded $500 toward it. Overall a pretty nice little unit, but other than the need for the dots it doesn't appear to be much use on the course..(neither for that matter were the SC200 or ES12/14). That was going to my only regret for canceling but a few holes using it from light rough and fairway proved it to be of no use to me (as the skytrak is obviously useless on the course). Seemed to be fine from a tee. It is funny the little plastic gunsight they want you to use to line it up.. The only unanswered question is how it does from grass practice tees. It shouldn't make any difference but units like my SC200 that was in agreement with Trackman on mats was ludicrous from grass tees (let alone on the course) Finally bought the skytrak as I didn't want to be pestering the 2 reps that offered use of their Trackman units.

Don't forget environmental conditions on course. E.g. Temperature, wind, slope, hardness of fairways. I find the Flightscope algorithm for the xi is spot on re what I see on the course after I've considered environment so would imagine this would be the same algorithm. Wind really really affects distance, even a 5 mph headwind causes 10 yd less carry and less roll due to steeper land angle as ball height increases due to lift and drag

That is correct. The ball could hit a tree and land behind you and if the captured mevo ball data calculates a 150 carry, that's what you're going to see on your app.

Has anyone tried this device (or others) with an indoor yellow soft rubber ball (callaway)?

I have a huge master bedroom that I hit these balls into hanging drapes off carpet.

Thanks

As long as the massively reduced ball speed simply gets tossed into the algorithm to calculate carry distance, you have a dot on the ball and the correct distances from mevo to ball and ball to drapes, it should give you a reading except the carry yardage will be useless to you as it won't be anywhere close to real ball carry data. Club speed should be the same however.

Has anyone tried this device (or others) with an indoor yellow soft rubber ball (callaway)?

I have a huge master bedroom that I hit these balls into hanging drapes off carpet.

Thanks

As long as the massively reduced ball speed simply gets tossed into the algorithm to calculate carry distance, you have a dot on the ball and the correct distances from mevo to ball and ball to drapes, it should give you a reading except the carry yardage will be useless to you as it won't be anywhere close to real ball carry data. Club speed should be the same however.

Isn't club speed estimated from ball speed with the mevo?

Thanks

No.

Thanks

I assume it is measured since it gives a smash factor, a ratio of club speed to ball speed. So, if it actually reads this guy's foam practice balls, the smash factor is going to be ridiculously low.

Foam balls will not be picked up on the Doppler. Atleast my ES12/SC200 didnt pick them up.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Thanks

I assume it is measured since it gives a smash factor, a ratio of club speed to ball speed. So, if it actually reads this guy's foam practice balls, the smash factor is going to be ridiculously low.

The FAQ says the carry distance is calculated. Everything else is measured using the 3D Doppler radar.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I would really like to hear some reviews on adjusting the altitude.

f745e06f36cf52d417eb0b027b6d8a6b.jpg

Is a "slider bar" setting. Simple.

A few thousand feet isn't going to mean more than a few yards but you can check the variances yourself by going to flightscope's online "optimizer" and just playing around with the altitude there to see the variance in carry yardage. If you need baseline data, just google 2017 trackman PGA LPGA averages.

From what people have seen is the algorithm the same as the optimiser as it is for the Flightscope x series

The x series MEASURES full ball flight. So, very much like the annually published trackman PGA and LPGA tour averages - THAT data will reflect atmospheric conditions (wind, temp, etc) and actual, not NORMALIZED (like the optimizer and Mevo) carry.

IMO, the FS Optimizer, like the Mevo, will give you normalized carry data, after the ball data is MEASURED, the carry yardage is then CALCULATED, it does not care where the ball lands as it is not measuring full flight.

The only way to fully answer your question (not trying to be snarky) is a) get the answer straight from FS or b) have someone with an X series FS go into Normalized Mode and do a side by side with Mevo AND share the findings with you.

I think it's important that when people draw conclusions about Mevo, that they understand the difference between Normalized carry vs Actual/Measured carry BEFORE getting bent out of shape if the Mevo carry data is what they (not you or anyone in particular) deem to be unsatisfactory in the mind of the critic.

If someone is doing a side by side comparison with Mevo and a full flight measurement device which a) isn't switched into Normalized Mode and b) there are external conditions (I.e. Wind) present -

...the carry yardages are definitely going to be different as Mevo is not measuring full flight but simply telling you what would have happened if there was no wind.

If you read Trackman blogs about normalized carry data, they explain why normalized carry data is useful to the golfer and why the setting exists.