New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

Just tried moving the net further away and the Mevo further back and no luck. I even went out into the yard to hit iron shots and the Mevo just doesn't register. Ughh, Im ready to helicopter the Mevo into the night!

It's probably not the right fit for you.

WTF?

Yeah Hondabuff, sounds like you're trying the X-Stiff Mevo, but you're really only a stiff. Not fit for you.

It's tough not being able to swing the electronic lumber. Play the forward tees with the Wii. Move up to the whites when you're ready for SkyTrak. Join us at the blacks when you figure out the MEVO.

Isn't that what the better players say? What makes this different?

Sorry for the delay as I have been traveling. I got my Mevo last friday. I have tested off grass and off the net and mat at my house. I played a few 9 hole rounds with it. I have tested it on my galaxy s8 and iphone 7.

I found on a mat I had to raise it to be level with the mat. There was no question with that, as soon as it was level it took all irons and woods perfectly. I did have an issue on the range (grass) that it wasn't exactly behind after a few shots. It would say connected but not ready on the top right. I realized over trial and error that it was the grass divots on iron and wedge shots. As I moved the ball to not be in a divot or trying to get a better lie, it wasn't behind it. Anywhere from 3-6 feet was almost perfect, with every shot.

The only time I had issues was when the mat at my house was not level and when on the grass it wasn't behind it. Both galaxy s8 and iphone 7 worked the same. I will say that I can't back up from one device and restore to another. I am guessing it is the OS.

I also had a few mini tour guys hit shots on it. They know their numbers and it was dead on.

I have not used any metallic dots yet. I will try to post some screen shots. Sorry again, I have been traveling. I have it with me now on the road and am playing tomorrow. I'll see how ti goes.

This is truly worth the money and I feel bad for anyone that is having issues. I would pay $1500 for this, just for the compact size and accuracy alone.

$1500??? Seems like a stretch no?

Sorry for the delay as I have been traveling. I got my Mevo last friday. I have tested off grass and off the net and mat at my house. I played a few 9 hole rounds with it. I have tested it on my galaxy s8 and iphone 7.

I found on a mat I had to raise it to be level with the mat. There was no question with that, as soon as it was level it took all irons and woods perfectly. I did have an issue on the range (grass) that it wasn't exactly behind after a few shots. It would say connected but not ready on the top right. I realized over trial and error that it was the grass divots on iron and wedge shots. As I moved the ball to not be in a divot or trying to get a better lie, it wasn't behind it. Anywhere from 3-6 feet was almost perfect, with every shot.

The only time I had issues was when the mat at my house was not level and when on the grass it wasn't behind it. Both galaxy s8 and iphone 7 worked the same. I will say that I can't back up from one device and restore to another. I am guessing it is the OS.

I also had a few mini tour guys hit shots on it. They know their numbers and it was dead on.

I have not used any metallic dots yet. I will try to post some screen shots. Sorry again, I have been traveling. I have it with me now on the road and am playing tomorrow. I'll see how ti goes.

This is truly worth the money and I feel bad for anyone that is having issues. I would pay $1500 for this, just for the compact size and accuracy alone.

$1500??? Seems like a stretch no?

I'm going to be home in palm beach Thursday and will go over to test it with a bunch of launch monitors. It is the size of a credit card but 3/4 of an inch thick. I had it at the Lauderdale open today in my pocket showing guys. It was great.

The fact that this unit doesn't read left/right spin - is that forcing anyone not to buy? This is the lone reason I can't pull the trigger on this.

Was Flightscope's $500 price point goal the reason this wasn't added? It's such an important aspect to me, especially hitting into a net. How else would I know how well I am hitting the ball directionally other than feel?

The fact that this unit doesn't read left/right spin - is that forcing anyone not to buy? This is the lone reason I can't pull the trigger on this.

Was Flightscope's $500 price point goal the reason this wasn't added? It's such an important aspect to me, especially hitting into a net. How else would I know how well I am hitting the ball directionally other than feel?

I have a skytrack that I hit into a net in a garage. To be honest it doesn't take much to know what kind of side spin you put on it. By where it hit the net, how it felt, and how it rolled back to you it's not hard to know how it curved. If you like exact numbers of how many deg and how offline you still need it to measure it. But if you just want to know how you hit it and you know if it went right or left , displaying those side spin numbers isn't as necessary as you may think.

That's what's keeping me away as well. With early reports being hot and cold, in particular using it on a grass range, I'm not convinced yet. I can't use it into a net because I'm not good enough to know whether I'm developing terrible habits hitting blindly into a net. It would suck if I develop a big pull because that's what gives me the "best" numbers.

And the early reviews are hot and cold about it working on a grass range.

So, if I can't use it into a net, and it's finicky in a grass range.... ?????

Hope software improvements fix many of these early issues. Still on the fence

I think you are right in that the price point was key.

Right now, lateral dispersion at a $500 price point would anger a commercial customer base that paid 8x more for units providing the same core data.

I keep hearing about some patents for LM technology that are about to expire. If true, I could see a case where a MEVO II (with lateral dispersion) is rolled out at the point in time where prices for LMs drop. (A recent case study for this kind of timing is when coffee prices dropped after patents for K-cup technology expired.)

446b387360c54c4a2be0821935b162c5.jpg

Interesting. The new app distance-to-tee calibration setting changed from 3'-6' to 4'-7'.. That makes sense.

There is new setting for "devices in range" which "sees" my MEVO. Also, it asked me to shake the phone to pair with the MEVO. I can't tell if this setting senses MEVOs only, maybe for situations where there is more than one MEVO present. Or, if it senses other nearby devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.) that could potentially cause interference.

Still raining here in 'Sconnie so no MEVO time today, unless I move the net in the garage...

Interesting. The new app distance-to-tee calibration setting changed from 3'-6' to 4'-7'.. That makes sense.

There is new setting for "devices in range" which "sees" my MEVO. Also, it asked me to shake the phone to pair with the MEVO. I can't tell if this setting senses MEVOs only, maybe for situations where there is more than one MEVO present. Or, if it senses other nearby devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.) that could potentially cause interference.

Still raining here in 'Sconnie so no MEVO time today, unless I move the net in the garage...

I did the update last night and hit 5 shots in outdoor mode with the unit little over 4' from the tee and no net. I made sure the unit was at the same height as my mat. Not a single shot registered with a 8 iron. My back yard is 110 yards to the wood line and all 5 shots were good strikes. I'm just going to say its defective and exchange it.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I noticed they also fixed a bug that crashed the app once you backed up your settings to the cloud. You still got an automated message from flightscope in your email box stating backup was successful but you had to reopen the app. Works fine now.

Nice to see they comfortable pushing updates and eager to fix bugs in the app.

After all Hondabuff has gone thru, I think Flightscope should fly him to the headquarters, give him a 100% tried and true unit plus starting him in a YouTube how to

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Hey Games, When you hit driver with yours did you have the Mevo at the same height as the ball on the tee? I wonder if a small mini tripod will improve readings. Something like this

https://www.idwholes...aler - Shopping

I did not but... I did notice greater variance between the MEVO data and the simulator I was on. That is why I issued the caveat about higher swing speeds.

I've read your overspeed training posts (really impressive improvement, BTW).

I do wonder if MEVO gets wonky at really high club speed. (Does not explain the issues you are experiencing with your 8 iron...)

I do wonder if your radar is out of whack with the alignment aid. The alignment is a 1/8" channel that needs to align with the middle of a 1.68" sphere sitting 4 feet away. I am seriously considering drawing lines on my mats to help alignment. Once it's aligned, mine's good to go...

Hey Games, When you hit driver with yours did you have the Mevo at the same height as the ball on the tee? I wonder if a small mini tripod will improve readings. Something like this

I did not but... I did notice greater variance between the MEVO data and the simulator I was on. That is why I issued the caveat about higher swing speeds.

I do wonder if MEVO gets wonky at really high club speed. (Does not explain the issues you are experiencing with your 8 iron...)

I do wonder if your radar is out of whack with the alignment aid. The alignment is a 1/8" channel that needs to align with the middle of a 1.68" sphere sitting 4 feet away. I am seriously considering drawing lines on my mats to help alignment. Once it's aligned, mine's good to go...

Just spoke with FS and they said to not have the Mevo above the mat on a tripod. They app that keeps saying ready is a know bug fix that they are working on. They are going to call me back with some options. That's going to be a pain if it needs to be that precise with the gun site. I did notice in the one picture from flightscope that they have a white line on the hitting mat.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Just spoke with FS and they said to not have the Mevo above the mat on a tripod. They app that keeps saying ready is a know bug fix that they are working on. They are going to call me back with some options. That's going to be a pain if it needs to be that precise with the gun site. I did notice in the one picture from flightscope that they have a white line on the hitting mat.

Do you have the app set in indoor mode when hitting into the net? Whether outside or not when the ball is going to fly less than 40 feet it should be set in indoor mode.

Certainly keeping me away right now....

Do you have the app set in indoor mode when hitting into the net? Whether outside or not when the ball is going to fly less than 40 feet it should be set in indoor mode.

I tried indoor mode into the net with various positions of the distances of the net and the Mevo. I tried putting the Mevo on a box just so its the same height and still acting up and not reading. After work I'm going to get out the tape measure and yard stick for the setup and give it one more go. Just aggravating that it would need this precise of a setup. Mine just doesn't seem calibrated or something. So far my Bel Swingmate has been my best purchase for my home range.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I tried indoor mode into the net with various positions of the distances of the net and the Mevo. I tried putting the Mevo on a box just so its the same height and still acting up and not reading. After work I'm going to get out the tape measure and yard stick for the setup and give it one more go. Just aggravating that it would need this precise of a setup. Mine just doesn't seem calibrated or something. So far my Bel Swingmate has been my best purchase for my home range.

I had issues getting all my swings to pick up too, but I think mine is due to alignment, I didn't use the sights to set it up I just eyeballed it. I hope that is all it is, I may be in the same boat as you. I'm going to try again after work today and hopefully that is all it is for me.

Where did you get your case from?

I think you are right in that the price point was key.

Right now, lateral dispersion at a $500 price point would anger a commercial customer base that paid 8x more for units providing the same core data.

I keep hearing about some patents for LM technology that are about to expire. If true, I could see a case where a MEVO II (with lateral dispersion) is rolled out at the point in time where prices for LMs drop. (A recent case study for this kind of timing is when coffee prices dropped after patents for K-cup technology expired.)

May be awhile before somebody other than trackman or FS makes a cheap side spin unit. Googling side spin and axis patents seems like both of those companies keep creating new patents on the subject. Probably just to make it harder for competitors to get in haha. The company I work at does a similar thing. There's always loopholes but whoever does it has to get creative with how they do it. Or come up with something other than radar to measure it.

Amazon for the case. $24 now https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1120-Case-Camera-Multi-Purpose/dp/B000233WKA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1493737313&sr=8-6&keywords=pelican+1120

My concern now is I'm going to spend more time pissing around with the Mevo setup instead of just practicing.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Amazon for the case. $24 now https://www.amazon.c...ds=pelican 1120

My concern now is I'm going to spend more time pissing around with the Mevo setup instead of just practicing.

Thanks.

For me when I am making swing changes I wont use the mevo. I for now am only using it for dialing in distances and working on my driving. I plan on figuring out some kind of setup that I can use to quickly set it up.

Spoke with FS and they recommend the Mevo being 5' behind the ball and minimum of 8' to the net and further I can get the net away the better 10-12' range. Low hits have trouble being picked up by the radar so the higher you can get the ball on the net the better. I'm going to give it a try this afternoon and report back. Really hoping that the issue is the just the space requirements and my setups were too close for accurate readings.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Spoke with FS and they recommend the Mevo being 5' behind the ball and minimum of 8' to the net and further I can get the net away the better 10-12' range. Low hits have trouble being picked up by the radar so the higher you can get the ball on the net the better. I'm going to give it a try this afternoon and report back. Really hoping that the issue is the just the space requirements and my setups were too close for accurate readings.

You also had a bag or something between the hitting area and the net. Not sure that matters.

I had issues with low shots as well as extremely fat shots. I attributed those to my fault instead of the mevo.

I hope you get things worked out. I'm getting out later today with my coach and giving the mevo another go.