New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

Got mine last night. Used it on the range today with normal full flight golf balls off of grass.

My experience- (it's Great!)

To set it up, I placed a ball down and then got my alignment rod (4' long) and set it down behind the ball pointing directly at my target. I then set the mevo about 8 inches behind that and changed the setting in the app to 4'8". It worked flawlessly like this! I hit a bunch of 9 irons and then switched to driver. I had no issues with it picking up the ball. I had my iPhone on top of my golf bag to the right side and behind the mevo unit to check the data after each shot. I was also wearing my Bluetooth headphones listening to music during my session. There were no issues with having headphones on.

Occasionally when I had made a few shots and was going to change where I was placing the ball bc of the divots I had made, I would get my alignment rod and make the same adjustments I described above(so simple). This thing is great and I really can't wait to start working on my swing with it.

A note about swing speed. My driver swing speed is roughly between 112 and 117 and it had no issues picking up the ball. Also, my 9 iron speed is about 92 mph. I had read some posts about potentially higher swing speed causing an issue but I can verify that it is not. I didn't use any metallic stickers during my session either.

After reading all of the posts over the past few days I was getting concerned about whether I would keep this once it was delivered. I am glad I tested it for myself! Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me about anything else I experienced with it.

Tomorrow I am going to do some more testing. I have a number of shafts to try with my Callaway Epic head and want to see which is best for me. For alignment, all I did use my driver with the grip end at the tee spot and place the Mevo behind the driver head. I had a few shots not read, but thought nothing of it since the same thing would happen with the ES14 and Trackman.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I have a match today in league play at 4:30pm and going to try the Mevo on the Range before hand and will tinker with it afterward. FS stated if I cant get it to function then they will exchange it. Their customer support is top notch though. How long is the delay for you guys who have one from when you strike the ball until it registers. I was seeing up to 3-5 second delay.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Got mine last night. Used it on the range today with normal full flight golf balls off of grass.

My experience- (it's Great!)

To set it up, I placed a ball down and then got my alignment rod (4' long) and set it down behind the ball pointing directly at my target. I then set the mevo about 8 inches behind that and changed the setting in the app to 4'8". It worked flawlessly like this! I hit a bunch of 9 irons and then switched to driver. I had no issues with it picking up the ball. I had my iPhone on top of my golf bag to the right side and behind the mevo unit to check the data after each shot. I was also wearing my Bluetooth headphones listening to music during my session. There were no issues with having headphones on.

Occasionally when I had made a few shots and was going to change where I was placing the ball bc of the divots I had made, I would get my alignment rod and make the same adjustments I described above(so simple). This thing is great and I really can't wait to start working on my swing with it.

A note about swing speed. My driver swing speed is roughly between 112 and 117 and it had no issues picking up the ball. Also, my 9 iron speed is about 92 mph. I had read some posts about potentially higher swing speed causing an issue but I can verify that it is not. I didn't use any metallic stickers during my session either.

After reading all of the posts over the past few days I was getting concerned about whether I would keep this once it was delivered. I am glad I tested it for myself! Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me about anything else I experienced with it.

Great to hear that the device works perfectly off of grass, as I hit 90% of my time from grass. How would you qualify the correctness of the data, especially carry and swing speed?

I read in one of the posts that the Mevo will not work with yellow balls. Which colour were the balls at your range?

Thanks!

I wonder what's the point of using a device indoors, that doesn't tell you what the ball is doing laterally.

I could understand it outdoors because you see the ballflight, but hitting to a net, and not knowing if it was a draw, a pull, etc.... in my opinion it's a waste of money. I prefer a Zepp device in that case...

My 2 cents...

I wonder what's the point of using a device indoors, that doesn't tell you what the ball is doing laterally.

I could understand it outdoors because you see the ballflight, but hitting to a net, and not knowing if it was a draw, a pull, etc.... in my opinion it's a waste of money. I prefer a Zepp device in that case...

My 2 cents...

My 2 cents...

You can work on efficiency and carry gaps.

Ok, just got back from my round and used the Mevo with mixed results on the grass range. Moving the Mevo around on the grass range is a bit of a pain since the unit seems to need to be precisely setup. I got back to the house and setup my Net and mat to these exact measurements. 10 feet from the ball to net and 5' from the ball to the Mevo. I put the Mevo on the Lid of the Mevo box and used the gun sites to line up the ball. Hit about 50 shots without using the dots and the unit maybe missed 5 or 6 shots where it said error. You will notice on the Mevo before you strike the ball the LED is red and blinking after after you take your shot it turns green while its calculating. It was satisfying to know the unit works but I really do have mixed feelings. The numbers were really close to what I saw on the course today. Since I'm going to use the Mevo 99% of the time at the house off the mat I feel pretty satisfied with the results. i didn't get to use it on the course yet so that's still to be determined. I'm going to pickup a 3' CCE hitting mat just to toss it at the back of my mat so the Mevo is sitting on it at the exact same level. I think waiting so long to get the unit really set a bad tone fore me but the unit seems to be functioning fine now. It still has some cons but it is what it is, better then the SC200 and ES12 in my opinion. I will get some videos here for the weekend. Thanks to Justin at FS for the spot on advice and customer service.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

I just did my initial testing at the range. People weren't kidding about the distance and alignment. I missed more shots than I liked but I found it got better when I moved 1 ball in front of exactly what I I putted to the app. I used a 4 foot alignment rod to measure and moved the ball about 1 inch in front. It may be just my unit or a general sweet spot. But I would recommend using the alignment stick or tape measure then varying ball placement.

One KEY thing which I'm not sure anybody has mentioned. You have to select the club you are using! I left it on driver to start and hit PW. I was getting 2500 -3000 spin. I thought it was the range balls. Then I finally decided to select pw. My spin jumped to 8000. I selected different clubs and the spin changed. So I guess this is part of how they estimate spin without stickers. As nice as it felt to hit 145 yard PW it lost 10-15 yards once I selected the correct club haha. I'll upload an alignment video once I get home.

I just did my initial testing at the range. People weren't kidding about the distance and alignment. I missed more shots than I liked but I found it got better when I moved 1 ball in front of exactly what I I putted to the app. I used a 4 foot alignment rod to measure and moved the ball about 1 inch in front. It may be just my unit or a general sweet spot. But I would recommend using the alignment stick or tape measure then varying ball placement.

One KEY thing which I'm not sure anybody has mentioned. You have to select the club you are using! I left it on driver to start and hit PW. I was getting 2500 -3000 spin. I thought it was the range balls. Then I finally decided to select pw. My spin jumped to 8000. I selected different clubs and the spin changed. So I guess this is part of how they estimate spin without stickers. As nice as it felt to hit 145 yard PW it lost 10-15 yards once I selected the correct club haha. I'll upload an alignment video once I get home.

I didn't realize it would estimate spin..? Is there a "non sticker" mode or something? This has me sorta spooked.

Range session #2:

I brought a camera tripod to use the video feature. It took some tweaking, but once I got the camera set up it was amazing. I wish it would start recording a bit earlier so I could mark my plane line accurately on the video.

Yes, you can annotate the videos to help identify swing flaws.

I showed my coach and he immediately said I was slowly sneaking into my old habits of coming in too steep. Guess what we worked on today :)

I didn't realize it would estimate spin..? Is there a "non sticker" mode or something? This has me sorta spooked.

There isn't a separate mode for stickers vs non stickers as far as I could tell. I'll play around with stickers vs non and use my skytrack to verify this weekend.

Quick picture of the logging on the Mevo. I was dead tired lastnight after my round but the numbers were fair. I'm going to jump back on my overspeed training since I'm seeing a dip in my numbers. Smash factor is telling me my I'm casting more then Babe Winkleman. But here is proof that now I have numbers to work on. Launch angle is too high and poor smash.

range.jpg

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Can someone post a chart for smash factors per irons and optimum launch angles? I have a smash factor of 1.22 with my 7 iron and not sure if that's good or bad.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Do a search on the Trackman web site and you can probably find the full table for the tour averages. But those are just averages, there is no 'optimal' numbers really. Or optimal smash will largely depend on the actual dynamic loft delivered as well as club head speed and even face to path numbers (among other things).

7 iron - PGA tour averages from the table I've seen is 1.33 smash for 16.3* LA,, 90 mph club speed, (120 mph ball speed).

LPGA tour averages is 1.37 smash for 19* LA at 76 mph club head speed (104 mph ball speed).

So at first glance, 1.22 would seem low. First step would be to use some impact tape or foot powder spray to get a true judge of impact location on the face.

"I read in one of the posts that the Mevo will not work with yellow balls. Which colour were the balls at your range?

Thanks! "

I have had one long session with my mevo at my club on the range which has yellow balls and there was no problem.

The earlier post you're referring to was about SkyTrak. Mevo is radar based (not optical tracking) colours won't matter.

Do a search on the Trackman web site and you can probably find the full table for the tour averages. But those are just averages, there is no 'optimal' numbers really. Or optimal smash will largely depend on the actual dynamic loft delivered as well as club head speed and even face to path numbers (among other things).

7 iron - PGA tour averages from the table I've seen is 1.33 smash for 16.3* LA,, 90 mph club speed, (120 mph ball speed).

LPGA tour averages is 1.37 smash for 19* LA at 76 mph club head speed (104 mph ball speed).

So at first glance, 1.22 would seem low. First step would be to use some impact tape or foot powder spray to get a true judge of impact location on the face.

Also, delofting at impact will help smash factor go up, which pretty much all PGA players do

My Mevo arrived yesterday. I have a complete setup in my garage including impact screen, projector etc. The Mevo is excellent. My distance numbers were right on. My wife and son's were as well. A few notes for indoor use, allowing perfect operation. Place the Mevo unit 7' behind the tee. Adjust the Mevo app for 7'. Have 8' between the tee and impact screen or net. Totally impressed.

My Mevo arrived yesterday. I have a complete setup in my garage including impact screen, projector etc. The Mevo is excellent. My distance numbers were right on. My wife and son's were as well. A few notes for indoor use, allowing perfect operation. Place the Mevo unit 7' behind the tee. Adjust the Mevo app for 7'. Have 8' between the tee and impact screen or net. Totally impressed.

Did you try setting up at the recommended 4' before changing to 7'?

This was my problem at first and got very poor results. I was used to the ES12 and SC100/200 where you can have a small compact practice area. Mevo needs a lot more room similar to the X series and Trackman to analyze the ball flight. Once setup properly I was impressed.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

This was my problem at first and got very poor results. I was used to the ES12 and SC100/200 where you can have a small compact practice area. Mevo needs a lot more room similar to the X series and Trackman to analyze the ball flight. Once setup properly I was impressed.

Glad you figured it out. Hey, question for you: Does MEVO track your overspeed training shafts? You have a few that don't have heads, right?