Putting Lessons worth it ?

I think one of my biggest weaknesses at the moment is my putting. I played a great round yesterday and had 3 three putts. I gave myself several good looks at birdie 5-10 ft and did not make one of them. I spend a good deal of time working on my putting and it almost feels like I have no idea where the ball will go. Had I made all my 5 footers yesterday I would have shot under par instead I made none of them.

I contacted pro at a near bye country club for a putting lesson. I am curious if getting a putting lesson is worth it or if I need to spend more time on the putting green.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great question, and I think the answer sort of depends on what you are experiencing vs. what you are hoping for.

There is no question that good putting instructor can help a lot with technical issues like alignment and ball position, and flaws like too much movement. Arguably, there might also be help given in terms of the fit of the putter to the putting stroke, though that is sort of a separate knowledge base. But maybe most importantly, a really good putting lesson should REALLY focus on giving you some "homework" about how to read greens, along with some drills to do regularly to match the read to the speed, and I don't think that happens nearly as often.

That said, I think it's important that you differentiate between the issue of three putts vs the issue of not making longer putts. You are NOT going to make all of the 5 footers, period; Tour pros only make less than 50% from 10'. Maybe before yesterday's round gets too far in the past, you could go back and figure out as much as you can about HOW the 5 footers missed so you can give the pro good information at the lesson. Did you consistently miss high? Low? Both? That matters; if you're missing the same way repeatedly, that might indicate an alignment issue, while missing multiple ways might be more of a stroke path issue due to inconsistent setup or the like. In any case, you'll get better help if you give better info at the outset.

As to three putts, that's really the key to putting better. So here's a game for you: "30 for 30". Hit putts from 30', which is an accepted average for first putts. Give yourself 3 points for a make, 2 points for a 2 putt in which the first putt got past the hole, and one point for a 2 putt in which the first putt didn't reach the hole. Subtract three points for a three putt. The goal is to get to 30 points before you hit 30 putts. And of course you can shorten the game to 20 for 20 or whatever if you are pushed for time. If you haven't done this before, you might be surprised at how quickly you improve you mastery of speed on longer putts.

One other thought for you: Either find a flat, straight 3' putt on a putting green, or get a putting carpet for your home, and hit a MILLION 3' putts in a "pristine" environment. Work to develop a stroke that makes these putts as close to automatic as you can, so that you know that WHEN (not if!) you miss one, it probably has more to do with imperfections in the green than with your stroke; until you have such a stroke, there isn't much point to worrying about break and making longer putts and all the rest. Consider telling the pro at your lesson that this is of paramount importance to you.

Depends on the teacher.

The main thing you want to improve is the skills in putting:

- Green Reading

- Aim

- Hitting the ball where you aim

- Speed/touch

As those skills improve, you will make more putts. If an instructor can improve each of those skills, then it's worth it.

RH

I dont have to think about what my biggest golf weakness is - I know its putting. I suck at reading greens, speed, aim, and everything else. I putt beautifully inside here on the carpet - and even on the practice green. When Im out playing, bozo the clown shows up.

Think Im going to try the "I dont give a rip" attitude and see what happens. Just putt the damn ball and stop thinking too much.

Wish I could sub contract my putting out.....

AI Smoke Max 9* -  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I dont have to think about what my biggest golf weakness is - I know its putting. I suck at reading greens, speed, aim, and everything else. I putt beautifully inside here on the carpet - and even on the practice green. When Im out playing, bozo the clown shows up.

Think Im going to try the "I dont give a rip" attitude and see what happens. Just putt the damn ball and stop thinking too much.

Wish I could sub contract my putting out.....

You just summed up my game. At the moment absolutely beautiful ball striking. I am playing my buddy yesterday and he duffs his drive, skulls his second shot into a bunker, plops it out and makes a 15 footer for par. I nuke a drive, gave myself 15 ft for birdie, leave the putt horribly short.... have a 5 footer for par.... push the par putt out and end up taking a bogey. In my house and on the putting green I feel like ben Crenshaw. Then on the course I look at a 3 footer with terror...

This is a great question, and I think the answer sort of depends on what you are experiencing vs. what you are hoping for.

There is no question that good putting instructor can help a lot with technical issues like alignment and ball position, and flaws like too much movement. Arguably, there might also be help given in terms of the fit of the putter to the putting stroke, though that is sort of a separate knowledge base. But maybe most importantly, a really good putting lesson should REALLY focus on giving you some "homework" about how to read greens, along with some drills to do regularly to match the read to the speed, and I don't think that happens nearly as often.

That said, I think it's important that you differentiate between the issue of three putts vs the issue of not making longer putts. You are NOT going to make all of the 5 footers, period; Tour pros only make less than 50% from 10'. Maybe before yesterday's round gets too far in the past, you could go back and figure out as much as you can about HOW the 5 footers missed so you can give the pro good information at the lesson. Did you consistently miss high? Low? Both? That matters; if you're missing the same way repeatedly, that might indicate an alignment issue, while missing multiple ways might be more of a stroke path issue due to inconsistent setup or the like. In any case, you'll get better help if you give better info at the outset.

As to three putts, that's really the key to putting better. So here's a game for you: "30 for 30". Hit putts from 30', which is an accepted average for first putts. Give yourself 3 points for a make, 2 points for a 2 putt in which the first putt got past the hole, and one point for a 2 putt in which the first putt didn't reach the hole. Subtract three points for a three putt. The goal is to get to 30 points before you hit 30 putts. And of course you can shorten the game to 20 for 20 or whatever if you are pushed for time. If you haven't done this before, you might be surprised at how quickly you improve you mastery of speed on longer putts.

One other thought for you: Either find a flat, straight 3' putt on a putting green, or get a putting carpet for your home, and hit a MILLION 3' putts in a "pristine" environment. Work to develop a stroke that makes these putts as close to automatic as you can, so that you know that WHEN (not if!) you miss one, it probably has more to do with imperfections in the green than with your stroke; until you have such a stroke, there isn't much point to worrying about break and making longer putts and all the rest. Consider telling the pro at your lesson that this is of paramount importance to you.

I like what you are saying and I love the 30 for 30 drill, i'll try that, should focus the concentration in an otherwise 'autopilot' scenario.

However, I think holing 3 ft putts on a perfect surface is too easy. You can be 3.5 degrees out before you will miss the hole. You should be aiming for 1-2 degrees maximum to have any chance on longer putts.

I often practice 100 in a row from 7ft on a putting mat on a flat floor - and the hole is only 3.5" in diameter. An accuracy of 1 degree is needed to hole the putt. Obviously hitting 100 in a row is difficult but you can build up to it, starting from say 30, 50, 75 etc. My best is 130 something but I got bored holing them!

I think it depends on golfer. Learning how to properly read greens and learning where you aim and how it effects your stroke.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I think it depends on golfer. Learning how to properly read greens and learning where you aim and how it effects your stroke.

You will always guess with green reading.

No matter the system like aimpoint.

The tour pro guess better.

(need to accept that really)

Built a model to remove guesswork from green reading which allows you to find the line directly.

100% accurate.

Once you start to use it your putting skyrockets as both confidence and skill is heighten.

I often get asked to teach putting as those I play with becomes impressed.

Cant afford me I say.

anyway, good tips in the thread.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

What is your normal putting PSR? If you're scrutinizing every angle of the putt ( especially the birdie attempts) try to shorten it to one maybe two quickest reads and go with your first impression of it. Don't over think or try to be exact with break. Pick a spot and hit it. Align to the spot and focus more on hitting to that spot with meaning instead of thinking of the hole

Forever Changing at this point.......

I did aimpoint express and I thought it was worth it. To me it was frustrating to miss a putt and not know which variable was wrong and Jared at spencer golf academy in Cincinnati, OH did a great job explaining his system.

I also really like flatstick academy now because it fixed a handful of mechanical issues I was experiencing and greatly improved my putting. Lots of "ohhh" moments on that site. It's like 10 bucks a month and has more videos and articles than you can shake a stick at. I don't know your financial situation so "worth it" may mean totally different things when it comes to a 200 dollar APE lesson, but anyone can recover 10 bucks by brown bagging your lunch once or twice. Just a suggestion.

What do you think about when you putt? My experience went something like this.

Was a great putter but poor ball striker when I started playing. Took lessons, became a better ball striker, hit more greens, had more birdie chances, and the misses started me down the rabbit hole of then focusing on improving my putting stroke. Bought every putting training aid know to man, worked my rear end off on making my stroke as perfect as I could get it.

My putting went straight in the crapper for a 5 year period. I practiced harder and harder on my stroke, grooving the pizz out of it to make it perfect. Miss, miss miss, drove me crazy. The more I missed, the harder I worked on putting stroke mechanics.

Finally, I took a lesson from David Orr, whole 9 yards, SAM everything. I found out my stroke was almost perfect. I couldn't make a putt because I was focused on mechanics. I also didn't understand how to actually read greens. David taught me how to find the fall line, how to read breaks, and then he got me to quit being mechanical, quit working on my stroke, and start using athletic ability to just look at the hole and pull the trigger. Just look at the hole and hit it there.

Now I never work on mechanics. Sometimes, I may strike a chalk line on the green to make sure my aim and setup are good, but I could care less now how my stroke looks. Now I can putt again.

So moral of the story, if you are thinking mechanics, you will be good at mechanics, but bad at making putts. Think about making putts, not mechanics.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Ping G425 Max 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood

PXG 0211X DC Tour Elevate X G-6 iron 
Ping  s159 52*, 56*, and 60*
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

I also think reading greens is often about understanding curves, apexes etc.

For example, you trace the path that a putt rolls along. For example, a 10 footer takes an arc to the hole and the apex is 1ft to the right at the exact half way point. In your minds eye to trace the putt to the hole and then aim your putter 1ft right of the hole - that is wrong and will leave you 1ft left of the cup. The true line to aim at is 2ft right of the hole - a straight line from the ball through apex. Once you grasp that, green reading becomes much easier. It's not the full method but it'll get you almost there, assuming your stroke and aim are good.