2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Justin Thomas' Distances

OBbogey5

I agree that the distances do seem on the high side not by a huge amount but maybe 5 years here and there. I guess having watching him he doesn't ever seem to hit anything at less than 100% so perhaps that does have something to do with it.

Yeah, but does he have the best body in golf?

Yeah, but does he have the best body in golf?

Pretty much built like a football player right? All these PGA Tour guys are :rofl:

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok the more and more I look at the pga stats club speed list the more I find discrepancies.

They have Rahm ranging from 112.37-119.57 with a 115.99 average. When I watched the matchplay, I don't think I saw Rahm dip below 118mph on trackman and they were showing it and shot tracer every time they could.

Edit: And Spieth's highest recorded speed for the season is 113.63 with an average of 111. No way that's right.

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

Ok the more and more I look at the pga stats club speed list the more I find discrepancies.

They have Rahm ranging from 112.37-119.57 with a 115.99 average. When I watched the matchplay, I don't think I saw Rahm dip below 118mph on trackman and they were showing it and shot tracer every time they could.

Yeah, who really knows. However, I think we can all agree that whenever there is a chance to boast how athletic and how powerful these guys are, the PGA Tour certainly does not shy away. I would be surprised if they chose to publish misleading statistics that error on the "regular golfer" side of things.

Hi launch, low spin, and center of the club face everytime explains the driver and 3 wood length compared to the short irons. He gets a lot out of 117 mph club speed if these carry figures are correct. His 4 iron must be bent or 235 yards is wrong. You don't go from 218 yds 5 iron to 235 4 iron. More like 228-229 with normal gaps leading me to think he has it bent 1.5 degrees. Just a guess. Otherwise, he would have had a huge gap up to his utility.

To be honest, this numbers look a little high even with off the charts launch and smash factors but his "modest" reported club head speed of 117 mph might be incorrect. These 3w and driver distances look more like those from a great ball striker with 121-123 mph

Agreed, it simply doesn't add up. Something is not accurate.

If these aren't "playable" yardages, than what gives.. Cynical views aside, the golf broadcasts can't really fudge the carry distances, roll out, etc. Distance is distance, where as a swing speed may be read slightly differently between measuring products.

College players, old people, regular posters on here...a 235 carry 4 iron is insane. We're not even factoring in that he weighs 97 lbs soaking wet.

He is 180 ball speed off the driver with outstanding launch numbers. Those numbers seem about right. Not uncommon these days for elite swing speed players 120+.

JT swing normal course swing isn't over 120 nor does his ball speed get north of 180. He hits up on ball and smashes it out of center everything except when he is hitting it off for the deck

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

If these aren't "playable" yardages, than what gives.. Cynical views aside, the golf broadcasts can't really fudge the carry distances, roll out, etc. Distance is distance, where as a swing speed may be read slightly differently between measuring products.

College players, old people, regular posters on here...a 235 carry 4 iron is insane. We're not even factoring in that he weighs 97 lbs soaking wet.

Of course broadcasters can fudge numbers ... a 460 yard dogleg par 4 can be cut and the player can be left with a 120 yard approach shot - VOILA, that player just hit a 340 yard drive!

This hole plays 570 max, but the tees are 30 yards up today. This player has 220 left to the green ... He just hit a 350 yard drive!

This player has 50 yards left on a 400 yard par 4 ... oops, forgot to mention the 50 feet of downslope on a fairway that hasn't been watered in 3 weeks and is shaved closer than a baby's butt.

This player just hit a 7 iron into a 220 yard par 3 ... but if you froze the image and zoom in, there is clearly a 5 on the bottom of the iron.

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Yeah, who really knows. However, I think we can all agree that whenever there is a chance to boast how athletic and how powerful these guys are, the PGA Tour certainly does not shy away. I would be surprised if they chose to publish misleading statistics that error on the "regular golfer" side of things.

Maybe, I dunno. I do think the club head speed stats are miles off. I also think Thomas' #'s from the article are either inflated or his absolute perfect launch and carry #s when he's going after it.

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Ball- ProV1X

With this incredible distance and his anger issues, I'm calling PED's.

Long irons do seem a bit high in distance.. IIRC, I thought the OP noted these as Carry distances as well. 235 carry with an iron is pretty huge.

Great-now you did it. In 20 years guys on wrx will be quoting the "rumors" they heard back in the day about JT and PED's. where there's smoke there's fire ya know. :(

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Those T-MBs are pretty hot in the long irons compared to the MB/CB/AP2. Not to mention he's pretty damn good. I just can't believe I only weigh 10 lbs less than this guy (and I'm a runt compared to everyone I play with), and he absolutely murders it.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

Those T-MBs are pretty hot in the long irons compared to the MB/CB/AP2. Not to mention he's pretty damn good. I just can't believe I only weigh 10 lbs less than this guy (and I'm a runt compared to everyone I play with), and he absolutely murders it.

He plays 716MB

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

I know a 47 year old who played d1 golf hits nothing but trap draws hits 8 irons 190. Distance is only a big deal to those who don't have it

Firstly there is really no need to play an 8 iron that long, secondly why on earth would you play nothing but trap draws especially with short iron into greens?

I must say to the trap draw crowd, Justin Thomas isn't hitting trap draws while winning tournaments on the PGA Tour. He doesn't have the luxury of being 218 yds from the flag, being handed a 5 iron, and saying, "Screw it...who cares where it goes!" His at the top of the golfing world, and he needs to hit the ball straight, and at those distances, I'm amazed.

I must say, you just exposed yourself. People can favor a trap draw and control it. That 47 year old shoots par every time he tees it up. No player hits dead straight balls. If you can control a fade all day long or draw and you're hitting your targets you are accurate.

I hit the same. Can crush it further by trap drawing it really stepping on it. Flexibility, speed, and knowing how to transfer energy the most efficient way. When I was younger I was consciously trying to beat the crap out of the ball. Years and years of developing that and thats how you make it look easy that speed becomes second nature
I commend you for choosing an appropriate name.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

Hi launch, low spin, and center of the club face everytime explains the driver and 3 wood length compared to the short irons. He gets a lot out of 117 mph club speed if these carry figures are correct. His 4 iron must be bent or 235 yards is wrong. You don't go from 218 yds 5 iron to 235 4 iron. More like 228-229 with normal gaps leading me to think he has it bent 1.5 degrees. Just a guess. Otherwise, he would have had a huge gap up to his utility.

To be honest, this numbers look a little high even with off the charts launch and smash factors but his "modest" reported club head speed of 117 mph might be incorrect. These 3w and driver distances look more like those from a great ball striker with 121-123 mph

I know he put up some Trackman data in Mexico and the swing speed was 121 I do believe. Ball speed 180 or just over. I've got to assume these numbers are absolutely full bore, maybe with a shade of elevation. Haha

I know the elevation assists the carry yardages. Are you trying to say the thin air helps him swing faster? Less air to slow that clubhead?

I know he put up some Trackman data in Mexico and the swing speed was 121 I do believe. Ball speed 180 or just over. I've got to assume these numbers are absolutely full bore, maybe with a shade of elevation. Haha

I know the elevation assists the carry yardages. Are you trying to say the thin air helps him swing faster? Less air to slow that clubhead?

That was probably as fast he can go and still make great contact.

I know a 47 year old who played d1 golf hits nothing but trap draws hits 8 irons 190. Distance is only a big deal to those who don't have it

Firstly there is really no need to play an 8 iron that long, secondly why on earth would you play nothing but trap draws especially with short iron into greens?

I must say to the trap draw crowd, Justin Thomas isn't hitting trap draws while winning tournaments on the PGA Tour. He doesn't have the luxury of being 218 yds from the flag, being handed a 5 iron, and saying, "Screw it...who cares where it goes!" His at the top of the golfing world, and he needs to hit the ball straight, and at those distances, I'm amazed.

I must say, you just exposed yourself. People can favor a trap draw and control it. That 47 year old shoots par every time he tees it up. No player hits dead straight balls. If you can control a fade all day long or draw and you're hitting your targets you are accurate.

Expose myself for what exactly? An expert...who doesn't know I'm not...haha. Hey, you carry your 4 iron 235, and your very well documented 47 year bff hits his 8 iron 180. Why'ya wasting your time replying to my posts? Go enjoy yourselves - it's almost April!

You guys need to play at elevation more. Here in Calgary those are almost my identical numbers and I'm by no means 'long' compared to the guys I play with. A bit shorter with the long irons, a bit long with the wedges. Oh the joy at being 3,600'!!!

Yeah, except it's cold and windy most of the time, negating the elevation.

Edit: I could be an odd ball, but my Calgary and Florida distances are nearly identical.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Of course broadcasters can fudge numbers ... a 460 yard dogleg par 4 can be cut and the player can be left with a 120 yard approach shot - VOILA, that player just hit a 340 yard drive!

This hole plays 570 max, but the tees are 30 yards up today. This player has 220 left to the green ... He just hit a 350 yard drive!

This player has 50 yards left on a 400 yard par 4 ... oops, forgot to mention the 50 feet of downslope on a fairway that hasn't been watered in 3 weeks and is shaved closer than a baby's butt.

This player just hit a 7 iron into a 220 yard par 3 ... but if you froze the image and zoom in, there is clearly a 5 on the bottom of the iron.

I'm talking about the dumb red/yellow line that tracks the ball flight and the zooming yardage numbers in the top right corner of the screen. You're talking about lying broadCASTERS. Two different things there.

Edit: And Spieth's highest recorded speed for the season is 113.63 with an average of 111. No way that's right.

Spieth isn't that long compared to most of the guys out there.... Justin Thomas blows it by him. Also JT's numbers aren't too different than Tiger's numbers that someone screenshotted and posted to this thread. Tiger's irons are at least 1/4" short compared to JT's and his lofts are basically a club weaker as well... so there really isn't much difference at all.

Also keep in mind if you look at the radar stats from the tour there is no guarantee that the player hit driver so those skew the numbers quite a bit... I saw Rahm hit 3 wood on a hole they picked up radar stats last week so that's gonna put a dip into his average speed...

If you put Spieth in a group with the long hitters on tour... he's hitting first for sure.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I'm talking about the dumb red/yellow line that tracks the ball flight and the zooming yardage numbers in the top right corner of the screen. You're talking about lying broadCASTERS. Two different things there.

Gotcha ...

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

You guys need to play at elevation more. Here in Calgary those are almost my identical numbers and I'm by no means 'long' compared to the guys I play with. A bit shorter with the long irons, a bit long with the wedges. Oh the joy at being 3,600'!!!

The post I replied to mentioned elevation as a"reason" for increased club and ball speed. It never mentioned the distance the ball went. I questioned someone using elevation as a reason for increased clubhead speed.

Spieth isn't that long compared to most of the guys out there.... Justin Thomas blows it by him. Also JT's numbers aren't too different than Tiger's numbers that someone screenshotted and posted to this thread. Tiger's irons are at least 1/4" short compared to JT's and his lofts are basically a club weaker as well... so there really isn't much difference at all.

Also keep in mind if you look at the radar stats from the tour there is no guarantee that the player hit driver so those skew the numbers quite a bit... I saw Rahm hit 3 wood on a hole they picked up radar stats last week so that's gonna put a dip into his average speed...

If you put Spieth in a group with the long hitters on tour... he's hitting first for sure.

You do realize that you are sort of repeating what I've said for the entire thread right? But not realizing that I've said it.

And yes, we know Tiger plays weak lofts and slightly short irons. Me too! Lol

Also, yes I realize that Jordan is shorter than the long guys but he isnt 150th on tour in swing speed like pga stats says he is. Thats just asinine. And that was my point in posting about it earlier. It was garbage stats. The pga swingspeed stats are way off!

Ball- ProV1X

You do realize that you are sort of repeating what I've said for the entire thread right? But not realizing that I've said it.

Also, yes I realize that Jordan is shorter than the long guys but he isnt 150th on tour in swing speed like pga stats says he is. Thats just asinine. And that was my point in posting about it earlier. It was garbage stats. The pga swingspeed stats are way off!

They are not way off. They are accurate. They are just such a small sample size, as someone above noted, that they are worthless.

I don't think they're way off either (like the guy above me just posted)... Jordan isn't too far from 150th in ball speed... where would you think he belongs?

I didn't read every post that you made... my apologies...

**EDIT** I just looked at the stats for the entire year of 2016 and Jordan Spieth finished 108th in club head speed at 111.86 with 115.52 being his top speed of the season. I cannot imagine that the stats are "way off" if they're identical two seasons in a row. Jordan just doesn't have top level club head speed on the tour... I have no problem believing he's 150th this year but at the end of the day he can still score. I spent several years of my life working in the golf business which included working with world class players including several major champions and in my opinion ball speed is far more important than club head speed. Jordan finished 82nd in that stat in 2016 with an average of 168.42 and a high of 172.74 which is plenty of speed to compete at the highest level on any golf course (obviously right? since he's won at every level, LOL) they play on the PGA Tour. I think that shows exactly how well Jordan strikes it-- being 108th on the PGA Tour in club head speed but 82nd in ball speed is pretty good. I would much rather have it be that way than to have world class club head speed with just average ball speeds.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

I swing around 105 and can get it out there pretty far.

Long enough to make a course play short.

I hit +4 up with a draw with very good efficiency.

I hit a few the last round in the 320-340yrd mark.

High launch low spin and good fairways.

Add 20mph more ball speed and carry would be 310.

The average senior tour player swings it at 106 and carries it 255 (274 total). I guess you must hit the sweet spot better than they do. The average PGA tour player that swings 120 (not many of them do) carries it on average around 290.

I don't think they're way off either (like the guy above me just posted)... Jordan isn't too far from 150th in ball speed... where would you think he belongs?

I didn't read every post that you made... my apologies...

**EDIT** I just looked at the stats for the entire year of 2016 and Jordan Spieth finished 108th in club head speed at 111.86 with 115.52 being his top speed of the season. I cannot imagine that the stats are "way off" if they're identical two seasons in a row. Jordan just doesn't have top level club head speed on the tour... I have no problem believing he's 150th this year but at the end of the day he can still score. I spent several years of my life working in the golf business which included working with world class players including several major champions and in my opinion ball speed is far more important than club head speed. Jordan finished 82nd in that stat in 2016 with an average of 168.42 and a high of 172.74 which is plenty of speed to compete at the highest level on any golf course (obviously right? since he's won at every level, LOL) they play on the PGA Tour. I think that shows exactly how well Jordan strikes it-- being 108th on the PGA Tour in club head speed but 82nd in ball speed is pretty good. I would much rather have it be that way than to have world class club head speed with just average ball speeds.

Of course ball speed is more important than club head speed because it actually shows how well the ball is hit. That's common sense. 120mph SS and perfect contact (1.5SF) are going to = 180mph ball speeds.

I think the ball speed stats you just posted are closer to being correct than the SS speed stats. Take the 168.42 average and divide them by 1.49 (even the pros aren't going to hit it perfect every time) and that's an average of a little over 113mph. I think that's close to being correct when you factor in that they probably got a couple of 3W shots in there. I would say Jordan average in the 113-114mph range swinging his driver. Never once did I say he was a bomber but he isn't 150th on the freaking tour either.

How did this turn into a talk about Spieth anyway? I was just pointing out that the stats were flawed. Of course they are a small sample size, and while they aren't totally useless. They aren't the best indicator of how fast someone generally swings their driver.

Ball- ProV1X