2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Cleveland HiBore XL

The HiBORE XL's Distance Driven Geometry creates Full-Face Performance (FFP) for the ultimate in driving effectiveness. By creating a face-centered sweetspot for greater distance from anywhere on the clubface as well as a high Moment of Inertia (MOI) for stability on off-center hits, Cleveland designers combined power, precision and forgiveness.

Distance Driven Technology DISTANCE DRIVEN GEOMETRYâ„¢

Moves weight lower and deeper in the clubhead. This optimized CG location aligns the Center of Gravity Projection (CGP) with the C.O.R. Hot Spot in the center of the face, resulting in optimal launch conditions for greater overall distance.

Full Face Performance

FULL FACE PERFORMANCE

Alignment of Sweet Spot and C.O.R. Hot Spot produce optimal launch conditions over a larger area of the face, allowing for efficient energy transfer that maximizes ball-speed across the entire face.

High Moment of Inertia

HIGH MOMENT OF INERTIA

High MOI and deeper CG provide increased stability on off-center hits, leading to greater distance and a tighter shot dispersion over the entire face.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hit probably about 20 drivers/shaft combos in search of a better game ( 5 handicap ) Played more than one round with most (up to ten rounds with the ones i liked) to get a good feel.

Nike- Square, sasquatch, sumo - All felt dead

Ping- rapture and G5 - Rapture was the only one that came close - harder to turn over

Taylor Made- R5 R7- good distance but hard to control

Cobra speed driver- blah

Cleveland Hibore and Hibore XL ( Settled on an 8.5 S gold fuji shaft )

Hibore xl is an excellent club, period. have gained 20 yards distance, hit the fairway about 85% of the time, easier for me to work the ball----- but mostly dead straight. Consistently -consistently- consistently longer and straighter than any other driver. If you are in the market for a new driver, you need to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5 Fuji Red x-stiff. With most of us out there, searching for the right driver can be a lifelong persuit. It always felt like I was putting in more than I was getting out of my previous drivers, Nike Sasquatch, Cleveland Launcher 400, and the latest Bang-O-Matic/Graman 540 X-stiff combo. Most of the time in launch monitors at Golfsmith, Golf Galaxy, and Austads, my ball speed is anywhere from 165-172 with the driver, don't know spin rates, never been on a machine that can calculate that, probably should try one sometime. Anyway, I am just starting to learn the spin rates and launch angle jive, but I've always (hopefully and maybe naively) thought that my ball should be going farther than 270 yards with those ball speeds.

The Hibore XL is the closest I've come to to finding the driver that will get it done for me. Long, straight, tight draw, baby fade. All of these shots are fun to play if you can put the right move on the ball. My hang-up was I hated hitting my natural shot (fade) because it just doesn't go anywhere. So, I would try and hit the harder shot for me and my accuracy suffered from time to time. This club, so far, has shown me that a fade can still go a long way relative to my game. I would say I average around 270-275 on a good solid hit, and my fade, well more of a controlled slice really, would take me down to 240 or so. The Hibore, again, so far, has produced some fades a that still go 270+. I think I am going to enjoy this driver, unfortunately I have only played one round with it, and we all know how things can change, but, I did tie my best score ever..........2 under par 70 (38-32) 6580 (71.1/121). The putter was good that day yes, but the XL put me in position to hit solid second shots the entire back nine. My misses are manageable, and that little toe hook still runs down the fairway quite nicely. Looking forward to getting in a few more rounds before the snow flies here in Minnesota.

This driver is freak deaky long...

Windy day today and a short par 5 495yds hit a draw on the screws and second shot 8 iron 160yds = 2putt bird!

My longest drives yet today and I was using a XL 9.5 with a diamana blueboard stiff shaft.

Pretty happy with it because it almost impossible to slice, so its a very controllable driver.

I actually have the 10.5 with a fuji 757, but 9.5 is with the diamana is really nice and it is the keeper for me.

anybody know how the Hibore xl with the fit-on red stiff compares to the original hibore with a proto vs 70 stiff as far as spin and height. i thought the original hibore with the proto 70 shaft in 9.5 went pretty high with not much roll. not sure if i posted this in the corect forum, ifso forgive me.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in this driver...normally odd shaped drivers such as the fti or even the d-2 don't really catch my eye...but this one is different for some reason...what do you guys think it will do if you have a lower ball flight like mine? Any possibility that it will make it carry any farther? I would honestly give up some of my roll to have it fly farther.

I'm interested in this driver...normally odd shaped drivers such as the fti or even the d-2 don't really catch my eye...but this one is different for some reason...what do you guys think it will do if you have a lower ball flight like mine? Any possibility that it will make it carry any farther? I would honestly give up some of my roll to have it fly farther.

It's designed to give a higher launch angle....a lot of people told me that XL's play to 1.5* higher loft, so a 9.5* would be more like a 11* in another brand. I tried out a 10.5* Gold Reg Flex, and a 9.5* Red Stiff flex...the 10.5 was ballooning on me some, and the 9.5 Red was too low trajectory, The 9.5* Gold Stiff works great for me. I bought 2, intending to reshaft one of them with a V2 HL, but I decided to play the Gold for a while before I do that.

I really like this club. Played it about 3 rounds now and I was skeptical on buying a different driver at first. I have a 460 Comp and had tried the first HiBore that came out and there was no comparison to the Comp. I sold the HiBore and left well enough alone. Then a few weeks ago a Cleveland rep had told me that the XL was a lot different than the original and it was longer and more forgiving. So I thought I would give it a try. Snatched one off of E-bay for $120 in an 8.5 with the fuji fit-on red shaft-s. It is a little longer than the Comp and more forgiving. I'm not ready to sell the Comp yet, but so far I like the XL.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!!

I need your help, I have a 90-110mph swing, controled slice and not a long distance shooter, I am going to buy a new Driver next week, but I am not sure what would help me for LONG and straigth shoots, My 2 options are Callaway FT-i or Cleveland HiBore XL.

What do you recomend??

HELP!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The HiBore XL is the best driver on the market.

In The Bag
Cleveland HiBore XL 9.5
Macgregor NVG2 15 degree
Nickent 3DX ironwood 17 degree
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-pw
Cleveland CG12 52 and 56 degree
Odyssey White Hot XG #9

Hibore XL 9.5
X2Hot Pro, Tour Green, 15*
SLDR, Fujikura Speeder 77, 19*
JPX 825, DG S300, 4-G
Fourteen RM-12, TT DG 53*
Fourteen DJ-11, TT DG, 58*
Ping Nome

• 3 weeks later...

Just played this driver for 18 holes using it on 12 of them, hit 10 of the 12 fairways and the misses were just off the fairway. Point and shoot. Like the previous poster I changed the stock red shaft. Most forgiving driver I've ever hit.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Hibore 8.5 UST V2 65X 46"

Hit one 382 with it in Mid November! Swear it is the best I have had, and I have tried nearly every driver for the past 3 years. This is (brace yourselves) staying in my bag!

????
Adams XTD Ti 5 wood, 7m3s

Adams XTD Super Hybrid 19*, Aldila VS Proto 85x
Cobra Forged Tec Utility 4

Cobra Forged Tec, 5-GW (7-gw one length)

Cobra MIM 56 (bent to 54) one length

Vokey SM7 60*
Ping DarbyF

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up one of these babies on eBay the other day and I'm very impressed with it so far... :clapping:

I got a 10.5* with the stock Fuji Red stiff non-tour version. The thing sets up pretty closed at address so I was turning it over more than I'd like, but by just opening it up at address that prob is solved. I also put 6 layers of tape (single-sided) under the stock grip to delay some release, but I may put a couple more to see what it's like or I'll put a 60 grip on top of the tape.

It also has 'CG' engraved on the Hosel and some lines (a cross) drawn on the face, I assume that this what Cleveland do to the club when they test it for conformance with the new rules? Can anyone elaborate on this?

I also reckon that you need to tee the ball lower than most other drivers to get good penetration otherwise it just wants to pop-up. I traded up to this combo from my original Hi-Bore 9.5* with stock stiff shaft and I thought went a lot better if you tee'd it lower than normal as well?

With-out a doubt the XL is longer than the old Hi-Bore and I notice that Cleveland have just released the XLS to boot! For some reason in Australia not many people seem to use a Hi-Bore as everyone seems to be sucked into the Titleist/Taylormade hype.
It's not that they are bad clubs it's just in Australia the prices for one of these Titleist/Taylormade drivers is ridiculous compared to US prices on the net.
I guess the big reason I started to use one was due to getting a bag on the Nationwide stop in Adelaide, the player (Roland Thatcher) lemme hit his driver & I couldn't believe how easy it was to smoke off the tee.

I reckon you can still shape the ball with the XL unlike others are saying, you just have to try a bit harder. I also reckon I've gained about 20 metres over my old Hi-Bore and straighter in the process.
I keep telling guys down here to try one out but they just won't do it because of the shape... WTF?? it works, just do it!

Roller.

In the Bag:

Cleveland Hi-Bore XL 10.5* stock Fuji Red - stiff
Titleist 904 15* 85gm Aldila NV reg flex
Cleveland Halo 19* r300
Srixon i506 4-PW rifle 6.0
TM RAC 52* wedge flex
TM RAC 56* wedge flex
Vokey 58-12 oilcan wedge flex
Red X2 54" mallet 350gm
ProV's or Platinum's depending on the price.
5 Hcp @ the moment.

I recently was fitted for this driver at a local golf shop on the newest launch monitor. I couldn't beat the price and after reading these reviews, needed to do myself a favor and atleast try it. My swing speed was 105, which put me right into the fujikura red shaft 9.5. But I was hitting the regular clubhead better than the tour version. So I bought it.

Now, I've been fooled by the fitting process before, leaving with a driver only to spend the whole summer blasting drive after drive left and then right, trying to "recapture the moment" of the sales floor simulator. Not this time.

The weather here in Ohio isn't exactly pleasant right now, but the day after I made the purchase it was nice enough to give this thing a test drive. Wow! That's all I can say about this club. I had been pushing my drives to the right ever since I sold my Launcher 330 four years ago. This club, with the slightly closed face, is turning my pushes into solid 5 to 7 yard draws that run out about 15 yards, IN THE MUD!! The trajectory is nice and high but boring and impact is more solid feeling than any other driver. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I took it to the local heated driving range a couple days ago and had the EXACT same results. This is not only the best driver I have ever bought, it's the best club I have ever owned, and summer can't get here quick enough.

• 2 weeks later...