2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Effective Immediately, Rules Change to Limit Video Review

quix24

Someone found another case with her, im not gonna post it, but all i can say comment section golfch. news post. Dont know what to believe, if she is careless or if she does it deliberately.

The part in bold is kind of gibberish.

Why want you post it? Provide the link if you really saw something.

exactly.. i cant even find their comment section.. i see the twitter feed.. but who the crap knows when he saw that ... it updates by the second

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hardluckster-

lol.. i know this how? same way you know shes a cheater.... any other brain busters? You are advocating guilty until proven innocent ?

You provide no evidence. A lot like a lot of your posts.

I would dare you to find a quote where I said that Lexi cheated. In fact, I have repeatedly stated that only one person knows whether the mark was intentional or unintentional - Lexi.

Keep deflecting though. It is a strategy, just not a very logical one.

If winning was easy, losers would do it.

As has been pointed out many times before in the multiple threads on this issue, if there is no penalty for signing for a score lower than what you actually had, there is no incentive for a player to report an infraction that may have gone unnoticed. If it was spotted and reported later all you get is the penalty you deserved., if it wasn't you are now two strokes up on the field.

How is this different than how golf has been played for hundreds of years before heavily televised coverage became normal? How is this different than the vast majority of time during a tournament when a player isn't on the broadcast?

If the only thing keeping golfers honest is the threat of someone replaying video coverage after the scorecards are signed, then there is a bigger problem.

The difference is that in the past you thought that someone like Lexi might have purposely cheated but you couldn't back it up. Today you can confirm your suspicion with HD video. No doubt about it. DQ is the correct penalty.

Huh? Based on what? In the past, without TV coverage, this situation would've gone unnoticed entirely. How would you ever have a suspicion that she cheated without video, when no one saw it in person?

And how do we confirm our suspicions about the 95% of a tournament that isn't on TV?

hardluckster-snapback.pngbladehunter, on 28 April 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Not if their misstep of the rules is done as an honest mistake . The guy or gal who is bending the rules and doing things on purpose gets called out. Unusually in private , but called out nonetheless.

And you know this how?

Aside from that, the person bending the rules deserves to be penalized for their infractions. That's what the rules of golf demand. The person(s) who allow(s) the rules to be bent are as guilty of breaking the rules of golf as is the "bender of the rules". If you allow others to play without following the rules, then not only are you allowing someone to cheat, you yourself are a cheater.

lol.. i know this how? same way you know shes a cheater.... any other brain busters? You are advocating guilty until proven innocent ?

I would dare you to find a quote where I said that Lexi cheated. In fact, I have repeatedly stated that only one person knows whether the mark was intentional or unintentional - Lexi.

your last post here..... calls anyone on wrong side of rules a cheater...including anyone who doesnt tell on them does it not ? i assumed you meant lexi..... if not thats my bad... but you can see where the conclusion became close enough to leap to...

but to my point i provide the same amount of evidence that she didnt cheat as anyone provides that she does..none.... that opinion isnt any less smelly than mine....above is the snippet of conversation i was refering to... if that was purely hypothetical i guess i mistook it for direct lexi talk....

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

hardluckster-snapback.pngbladehunter, on 28 April 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Not if their misstep of the rules is done as an honest mistake . The guy or gal who is bending the rules and doing things on purpose gets called out. Unusually in private , but called out nonetheless.

And you know this how?

Aside from that, the person bending the rules deserves to be penalized for their infractions. That's what the rules of golf demand. The person(s) who allow(s) the rules to be bent are as guilty of breaking the rules of golf as is the "bender of the rules". If you allow others to play without following the rules, then not only are you allowing someone to cheat, you yourself are a cheater.

your last post here..... calls anyone on wrong side of rules a cheater...including anyone who doesnt tell on them does it not ? i assumed you meant lexi..... if not thats my bad... but you can see where the conclusion became close enough to leap to...

but to my point i provide the same amount of evidence that she didnt cheat as anyone provides that she does..none.... that opinion isnt any less smelly than mine....above is the snippet of conversation i was refering to... if that was purely hypothetical i guess i mistook it for direct lexi talk....

Ok, I can see where that could be assumed to refer to Lexi. That was not my intention, however. If anything it was intended to be an expression of dismay toward those who ignore known violations, be they intentional or not. I could have been more clear with that, I suppose.

As to whether Lexi cheated or not, I do not know. I give her the benefit of the doubt because I do not, and cannot, know her intentions. Only she knows that for sure. In my opinion, I don't think there is any way that a committee could rule that as intentional - there simply isn't enough evidence of that. Carelessness is not deception, and therefore not cheating, but it is a rules violation and punishable by the RoG.

Arron Oberholser, on the Golf Channel coverage of the Zurich Classic today, said that he didn't like call-ins. He then stated that someone sitting at home, who didn't even understand the rules of golf, could "force a penalty". How ridiculous that is.

If someone doesn't like that officials investigate video call-in reports, I can respect that. I don't agree with it, but I can respect that opinion even though it doesn't match what I believe is appropriate.

If Aaron doesn't know that tournament officials are the ones who determine if a violation actually occurs and a penalty is required, then he is one of those people who doesn't even understand the rules of golf. Additionally I would suggest that the violation itself is what actually "forces the penalty", not the call-in or the rules officials.

As I see it, there are only two alternatives: (1) investigate the call-in to determine if a rules violation actually occurred and act accordingly, or (2) ignore all call-ins and in the process ignore violations that actually can be documented. My view is that when known violations are ignored simply because of how they were discovered, the integrity of the game will suffer. I could be wrong, but then again I could be right.

Arron Oberholser, on the Golf Channel coverage of the Zurich Classic today, said that he didn't like call-ins. He then stated that someone sitting at home, who didn't even understand the rules of golf, could "force a penalty". How ridiculous that is.

If someone doesn't like that officials investigate video call-in reports, I can respect that. I don't agree with it, but I can respect that opinion even though it doesn't match what I believe is appropriate.

If Aaron doesn't know that tournament officials are the ones who determine if a violation actually occurs and a penalty is required, then he is one of those people who doesn't even understand the rules of golf. Additionally I would suggest that the violation itself is what actually "forces the penalty", not the call-in or the rules officials.

As I see it, there are only two alternatives: (1) investigate the call-in to determine if a rules violation actually occurred and act accordingly, or (2) ignore all call-ins and in the process ignore violations that actually can be documented. My view is that when known violations are ignored simply because of how they were discovered, the integrity of the game will suffer. I could be wrong, but then again I could be right.

I agree with you on face value, but surely this illustrates what I've been saying about how this type thing has been normal in the game and on tour for eons. We just now can see it is all. He knows it's true or he wouldn't have said this. I heard him say it too. Was while stenson and Rose were coming up 18 I think. He also said almost no player is in favor of call ins. Nobilo or that other guy also said emphatically that it was impossible to place your ball anywhere near exact spot every time. And that the rules were too ambiguous on the distance that was acceptable in regards to that. Then said to much grey. I felt like he had been reading my posts. Lol. This tells us that the field is aware of these small thing and knows it's always happened. And doesn't want it called. Right or wrong this is fact.

That being said I've just seen something that cools my fire on the Lexi subject. I will only say I hope she has learned the lesson and will be more careful in the future. Big brother is here to watch so these things must be tightened up.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I agree with you on face value, but surely this illustrates what I've been saying about how this type thing has been normal in the game and on tour for eons. We just now can see it is all. He knows it's true or he wouldn't have said this. I heard him say it too. Was while stenson and Rose were coming up 18 I think. He also said almost no player is in favor of call ins. This tells us that the field is aware of these small thing and knows it's always happened. And doesn't want it called. Right or wrong this is fact.

To me allowing call ins and penalty over trivial things like grains of sand and slight mis-mark or drop makes the sport look bad. Then when they ban call ins, the first time video is captured of someone using a foot wedge may go unpenalized, but the weight of blatant cheating and the stigma that goes with it will weigh heavily on the golfers integrity forever.

I agree with you on face value, but surely this illustrates what I've been saying about how this type thing has been normal in the game and on tour for eons. We just now can see it is all. He knows it's true or he wouldn't have said this. I heard him say it too. Was while stenson and Rose were coming up 18 I think. He also said almost no player is in favor of call ins. This tells us that the field is aware of these small thing and knows it's always happened. And doesn't want it called. Right or wrong this is fact.

To me allowing call ins and penalty over trivial things like grains of sand and slight mis-mark or drop makes the sport look bad. Then when they ban call ins, the first time video is captured of someone using a foot wedge may go unpenalized, but the weight of blatant cheating and the stigma that goes with it will weigh heavily on the golfers integrity forever.

I can't imagine a PGA professional using a foot wedge, it just doesn't happen. I personally don't think any of them cheat on purpose, I think most of the PGA professionals are pretty classy individuals. I agree with what you said that the call ins from fans makes the PGA look rather inept. The PGA is a multi-million-dollar organization with the resources to take care of themselves if they would just move forward with it.

I'm in the camp that the call ins from fans has to stop and has to stop immediately. I have no issue with video review, heck almost every major sport has it, difference is its their competitors or officials that call for a video review and not the fans. And most sports have a limit on how many reviews you can use.

So make it like them. Lexis playing partner thinks she saw a bad replace and her and Lexi can't come to a conclusion, throw a flag and get it reviewed. The referees watching on monitors think they saw a bad drop, do a review. Maybe limit it to 2 - 4 reviews per player for the tournament so one player doesn't get harassed with numerous reviews. As soon as a review is called for the player is notified. At the start of a new round no reviews can be called for previous rounds. I mean in the NHL playoffs a team can't challenge an offside call in game 3 half way through game 4. These call ins happening so late really are quite stupid when you think about it.

And the people saying that the most important thing is to get it right can't actually believe that. I mean imagine the nfl without a limit on red flags allowed to be tossed. Games would be 12 hours because every play would be reviewed, "because the most important thing is to get it right." Even worse allow fans to call in every hold, pass interference or illegal block they see. Now games will take 3days to play. Come on man!!!!

Oh I absolutely believe that. 100%.

Golf is not any other sport. And I don't want it to ever be like any other sport. It's a sport where competitors police themselves, and when they don't they should be penalized accordingly whether the infraction is intentional or not.

In other sports, pushing the rules is actually encouraged. The ruling bodies of golf should never, ever allow that to happen to this glorious game.

I'm not trying to be judgemental here. I truly am not . I don't know anyone on this board personally so I cannot speak to the character of anyone here, and I'm not trying to do that.

Having said that, to me it comes down to what each individual would do if they were the perpetrator of an obvious (visible without HD zoom and the like) rules infraction that was reported by a call in. Personally,I would penalize myself irregardless of the committee determination. If I was shown evidence that I had violated a rule that I should have been aware of, I'm adding the appropriate penalty strokes to my score. It's how I believe this game is to be played.

Whether or not I'm on video more often than my competitors would not excuse me - it simply indicates that I'm in contention or a popular competitor and both of those would be good things. The simple fact for me is this: if I knowingly have violated a rule I am due the appropriate penalty (or penalties).

I'm not trying to be judgemental here. I truly am not . I don't know anyone on this board personally so I cannot speak to the character of anyone here, and I'm not trying to do that.

Having said that, to me it comes down to what each individual would do if they were the perpetrator of an obvious (visible without HD zoom and the like) rules infraction that was reported by a call in. Personally,I would penalize myself irregardless of the committee determination. If I was shown evidence that I had violated a rule that I should have been aware of, I'm adding the appropriate penalty strokes to my score. It's how I believe this game is to be played.

Whether or not I'm on video more often than my competitors would not excuse me - it simply indicates that I'm in contention or a popular competitor and both of those would be good things. The simple fact for me is this: if I knowingly have violated a rule I am due the appropriate penalty (or penalties).

and i would agree with you 100%... im the most cautious player rules wise youve ever met... and regularly play something where it is vs relief im due per the rules. thus penalizing myself to error on the safe side in play where we dont have an official to call.... BUT that does not stop me from questioning the reasoning or spirit of some rules and rulings.... you can be and do both

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

and i would agree with you 100%... im the most cautious player rules wise youve ever met... and regularly play something where it is vs relief im due per the rules. thus penalizing myself to error on the safe side in play where we dont have an official to call.... BUT that does not stop me from questioning the reasoning or spirit of some rules and rulings.... you can be and do both

I don't intend to imply that rules and decisions should never be questioned. In fact, I think that they should be examined and if better options exist they should be changed.

I see the new Decision 34-3/10 to be simple politics. It is, I think, a response to an outcry that offers nothing new. The new decision, imo, would not have changed the Lexi ruling at all. I may be wrong about all of this, because believe me I am far from a rules expert.

Admitting that I think the rules and decisions should be examined to determine if there are better solutions, I've yet to see anyone give a reason that would convince me that the current rules pertaining to the Lexi situation deserve to be altered in any way. I've seen no alternate suggestion that gives a better result.

I agree with you on face value, but surely this illustrates what I've been saying about how this type thing has been normal in the game and on tour for eons. We just now can see it is all. He knows it's true or he wouldn't have said this. I heard him say it too. Was while stenson and Rose were coming up 18 I think. He also said almost no player is in favor of call ins. Nobilo or that other guy also said emphatically that it was impossible to place your ball anywhere near exact spot every time. And that the rules were too ambiguous on the distance that was acceptable in regards to that. Then said to much grey. I felt like he had been reading my posts. Lol. This tells us that the field is aware of these small thing and knows it's always happened. And doesn't want it called. Right or wrong this is fact.

That being said I've just seen something that cools my fire on the Lexi subject. I will only say I hope she has learned the lesson and will be more careful in the future. Big brother is here to watch so these things must be tightened up.

I didn't see the Nobilo comment but if he said it that way then it would tell me the players cheat, often. The rules, as we have discussed ad nauseum, do not say you must replace "exactly". Any player on tour that says that is covering up for players incompetence or cheating. Either they are as a rule very sloppy or judge it ok to slide the ball to the side to avoid spike marks.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

]I didn't see the Nobilo comment but if he said it that way then it would tell me the players cheat, often. The rules, as we have discussed ad nauseum, do not say you must replace "exactly". Any player on tour that says that is covering up for players incompetence or cheating. Either they are as a rule very sloppy or judge it ok to slide the ball to the side to avoid spike marks.

I am starting to think that there is a lot of this on tour. The players just seem to be "too OK" with it for my liking.

I just wish that the professional tours would adopt a rule that to disallow call-ins. I think it would be a mistake and would cheapen the pro tours, and for that reason I don't think they'll ever do it. Otherwise, however, it wouldn't affect any of us in any way.

What I'm concerned is going to happen is that the ruling bodies are going to make changes to the rules, in response to public outcry over call-ins and video evidence, that will affect the general golfing public and weaken and cheapen the rules. I really hope that this doesn't happen.

**Someone on this board has previously expressed this viewpoint. I'm not the author of this idea. I can't remember which poster originated this idea, but I'm starting to agree with them more and more.

***As a side note, I did an informal poll at my local club and practically every member that I talked to was against viewer call-ins. Probably 14 of the 15 people that I normally play golf with thought that viewer call-ins should be ignored by the professional tours. I was very surprised by the results.

]I didn't see the Nobilo comment but if he said it that way then it would tell me the players cheat, often. The rules, as we have discussed ad nauseum, do not say you must replace "exactly". Any player on tour that says that is covering up for players incompetence or cheating. Either they are as a rule very sloppy or judge it ok to slide the ball to the side to avoid spike marks.

I am starting to think that there is a lot of this on tour. The players just seem to be "too OK" with it for my liking.

I just wish that the professional tours would adopt a rule that to disallow call-ins. I think it would be a mistake and would cheapen the pro tours, and for that reason I don't think they'll ever do it. Otherwise, however, it wouldn't affect any of us in any way.

What I'm concerned is going to happen is that the ruling bodies are going to make changes to the rules, in response to public outcry over call-ins and video evidence, that will affect the general golfing public and weaken and cheapen the rules. I really hope that this doesn't happen.

**Someone on this board has previously expressed this viewpoint. I'm not the author of this idea. I can't remember which poster originated this idea, but I'm starting to agree with them more and more.

***As a side note, I did an informal poll at my local club and practically every member that I talked to was against viewer call-ins. Probably 14 of the 15 people that I normally play golf with thought that viewer call-ins should be ignored by the professional tours. I was very surprised by the results.

Viewer call-ins taint the game and the rules, most golfers don't like them because it makes rules enforcement subjective. If the PGA Tour, LPGA, USGA and R&A are really concerned that rule infractions are missed they should pay a person or people to review the entire broadcast searching for rules infractions. At least then every golfer on the broadcast would be under the same scrutiny versus a viewer or involved party who has an agenda to call in infractions only on certain individuals.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Viewer call-ins taint the game and the rules, most golfers don't like them because it makes rules enforcement subjective. If the PGA Tour, LPGA, USGA and R&A are really concerned that rule infractions are missed they should pay a person or people to review the entire broadcast searching for rules infractions. At least then every golfer on the broadcast would be under the same scrutiny versus a viewer or involved party who has an agenda to call in infractions only on certain individuals.

How do they taint the game and the rules? I just don't understand that logic. Is it because every player simply doesn't receive the same scrutiny?

Do you also think that spectators at an event should be disallowed from helping players locate errant shots, identify where a ball crossed a hazard, etc?

Surely those players not in contention, or not the most popular, are at a disadvantage where these things are concerned.

Imo what would really taint the game is to quit taking the calls. Would people really prefer that social media and the GC show clips of infractions much worse than the Lexi situation that were not enforced because call ins were not allowed. Would folks rather the spectators on the grounds not be able to report violations either?

Call ins do not enforce the rules. They only make the committee aware of possible violations.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

How do they taint the game and the rules? I just don't understand that logic. Is it because every player simply doesn't receive the same scrutiny?

Do you also think that spectators at an event should be disallowed from helping players locate errant shots, identify where a ball crossed a hazard, etc?

Surely those players not in contention, or not the most popular, are at a disadvantage where these things are concerned.

techincally i dont think call ins do the tainting... They are shedding light on the tainting ....the tainting that has always been there.... i know i sound like a broken record.. But it seems so obvious doesnt it ?

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Like Shilgy said above, real tainting would occur when a professional wins an event after a known, obvious violation isn't penalized simply because it was noticed by someone watching on video.

How many times have you read about, or seen a team lose a game because of bad calls? Quite a few, I'd bet. In fact in almost every game in most sports the fans of the losing team can point to multiple bad calls as the reason for the defeat.

How many times have you read about, or heard about, or seen a golfer losing a tournament because of bad calls? Probably never, or very few.

That last answer could potentially change if call-ins were disallowed. That would truly taint the game and the rules.

so, if every player, knew, AND played by the rules, wouldn't the couch potatoes be rendered useless??

I know it's a crazy thought

Sure, in a perfect world.

But no matter what anyone says, sometimes rules are broken unintentionally and sometimes people make honest mistakes. And that's not a crazy thought. It's the truth.

so, if every player, knew, AND played by the rules, wouldn't the couch potatoes be rendered useless??

Sure, in a perfect world.

But no matter what anyone says, sometimes rules are broken unintentionally and sometimes people make honest mistakes. And that's not a crazy thought. It's the truth.

No, not crazy - just can't figure out why some people think we can tell the difference and that's how penalties should be applied - based on intent.

Willfully ignoring infractions is not something I can ever get on board with. You want to change the rules? Fine, let's talk about that, but I don't see how you can get to:

Let's ignore some infractions we and penalize others.

Because outside agencies shouldn't impact the outcome. If the golf ruling bodies and associations believe there broadcasts might shed light on uncalled rules infractions they should have people assigned to reviewing the broadcasts after they have aired. All scores can be adjusted prior to the start of the next round but at least we'll know that all the infractions were called that aired on the broadcast not just ones viewer chose to call in.

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

true..but its never happened and dont know how you will get it to happen now

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It is the player's job to protect the field, not a TV call in. A TV call in does taint the field because not every player is being scrutinized by TV. That is my beef. If every players shot and move are on live telecast then people phoning in can have at it. I really wouldn't care. Since every shot will not be televised, allowing call in's taints the field.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Because outside agencies shouldn't impact the outcome. If the golf ruling bodies and associations believe there broadcasts might shed light on uncalled rules infractions they should have people assigned to reviewing the broadcasts after they have aired. All scores can be adjusted prior to the start of the next round but at least we'll know that all the infractions were called that aired on the broadcast not just ones viewer chose to call in.

Do you also think that spectators at an event should be disallowed from getting struck by an errant shot, helping players locate errant shots, identify where a ball crossed a hazard, etc?

Aren't spectators at an event also outside agencies? Aren't they also affecting the outcome? Maybe we should disallow spectators so that they don't taint the game (tongue firmly planted in cheek on this one)?

Do you also think that spectators at an event should be disallowed from getting struck by an errant shot, helping players locate errant shots, identify where a ball crossed a hazard, etc?

Aren't spectators at an event also outside agencies? Aren't they also affecting the outcome? Maybe we should disallow spectators so that they don't taint the game (tongue firmly planted in cheek on this one)?

Slippery slope much? Would you be okay with a spectator jumping in front of a shot intentionally or pocketing a mishit ball to screw a golfer he didn't like or was beating one he did like? If we think pro's are cheating and broadcasts are a way to catch them then why not have officials review the broadcasts and catch all rule breakers rather than allow viewers with questionable motives to do so?

Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX