Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

I’ve taken my kids to brown deer a few times over the last few years for this & we’ve really enjoyed it. The ladies & caddies are friendly, the volunteers have been great. Those gals can definitely play. I’m guessing the sprecher beer truck/beer garden will be there again too.

Definitely agree to check it out if anyone is around for it. Glad we’ve got people like Phreddy to help them out.

> @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> I’ve taken my kids to brown deer a few times over the last few years for this & we’ve really enjoyed it. The ladies & caddies are friendly, the volunteers have been great. Those gals can definitely play. I’m guessing the sprecher beer truck/beer garden will be there again too.

> Definitely agree to check it out if anyone is around for it. Glad we’ve got people like Phreddy to help them out.

Nice. I am hoping to take my kids up there for a little bit. If Sprecher is there maybe i can bribe them to stay a little longer with a root beer float.

Me and my wife were at brown deer for the Symetra Tour yesterday. Watched for about 5 hours mostly on the back nine. Lots of freedom to sit/walk wherever you want. We go every year and i got to talk to Steve Stricker last year for a couple minutes after he finished following his daughter's first round. Real down to earth guy.

As for fairways of woodside the front/back nine are two very different courses but it's a fun place to play. Live about 2 miles from there so it's a really familiar course.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

So after all of the courses I asked about the previous 2 weeks, we ended up playing Maplecrest in Kenosha. It was a decent course and enjoyable. There were some challenging holes but nothing too out of the ordinary. Greens were in good shape and the fairways were decent. Hazards were really non existent and the traps were decent. We did have to deal with workers taking down dead trees. We teed off on one hole and the balls just disappeared into the clouds and couldn't find any of ours. There was a worker that was watching us about 200 yards down the fairway to make sure no one got hit, but he couldn't tell us if he saw them. Said he wasn't paying attention. Ha. I do have to say this is now the first place I broke 100! Shot a 98.

I’m going to be in Madison for a long weekend this coming weekend. Planning to play University Ridge and drive up to Lawsonia Links also. I have one more day and am looking for 36. My friend isn’t serious enough to do Erin Hills or Sand Valley, but I would appreciate the best available options within 90 minutes or so.

Current options are Sentry World or Wild Rock/Trappers Turn. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

> @mckennwa said:

> I’m going to be in Madison for a long weekend this coming weekend. Planning to play University Ridge and drive up to Lawsonia Links also. I have one more day and am looking for 36. My friend isn’t serious enough to do Erin Hills or Sand Valley, but I would appreciate the best available options within 90 minutes or so.

>

> Current options are Sentry World or Wild Rock/Trappers Turn. What am I missing?

>

> Thanks in advance!

Washington County golf course in Hartford.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

Heading up to Menominee, MI (my home town) this weekend, have been doing a deep dive into golf course design and realized my home course was designed by Tom Bendelow! Probably going to make the trip up north to play sweetgrass or sage run.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

> @mckennwa said:

> I’m going to be in Madison for a long weekend this coming weekend. Planning to play University Ridge and drive up to Lawsonia Links also. I have one more day and am looking for 36. My friend isn’t serious enough to do Erin Hills or Sand Valley, but I would appreciate the best available options within 90 minutes or so.

>

> Current options are Sentry World or Wild Rock/Trappers Turn. What am I missing?

>

> Thanks in advance!

I'll 2nd Washington County. Out of Sentry World/WR/Trappers, for someone 5+ handicap, I'd pick Wild Rock all day. Wide fairways and fun approaches. Typical resort course. Wash Co can also play very fair.

If you want to stay close to Madison, and don't mind hitting through subdivisions, Hawks Landing and Bergamont are a step below but usually in decent shape.

Northern Bay is always a fun course, but I hear the conditions are not what they use to be.

Btw, it is my personal opinion that Mammoth Dunes (at Sand Valley) walking for $215 is worth it compared to every other course on this list. Most fun I've ever had golfing. Just do it. So much fun.

I'm from Madison and my buddies trip this year was Lawsonia Links/Sand Valley/Mammoth Dunes/Sentry World.

My usual weekly golf rounds are played at University Ridge/Hawks Landing/Bergamont.

I've played all the other course other than Trappers multiple times.

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw that SV offers Louisville hickories for rent...how freakin' cool is that? Louisville is a modern producer of hickory golf clubs. I've had this itch I've wanted to scratch about getting a set of hickories, but don't want to spend the money on a novelty. I always thought it would be fun to hit up some of the forward tees on some courses with some. When I make my trip one day, I'm definitely going to rent some for a fun round around the Sandbox.

@Lefty96 , @Phreddy and I got a chance to play it last year (might be two). The course was in great shape and reminded me a bit like north shore cc. Quite a bit of trees so tee shots need to be somewhat dialed. Greens were in good shape and rolled very nice. Overall was just a fun track and there wasn’t anything real gimmicky or hidden shots. From what I recall just a fun round of golf in a bit of a sleeper town. @Phreddy might be able to add some more points that I missed

> @micahawitt said:

> @Lefty96 , @Phreddy and I got a chance to play it last year (might be two). The course was in great shape and reminded me a bit like north shore cc. Quite a bit of trees so tee shots need to be somewhat dialed. Greens were in good shape and rolled very nice. Overall was just a fun track and there wasn’t anything real gimmicky or hidden shots. From what I recall just a fun round of golf in a bit of a sleeper town. @Phreddy might be able to add some more points that I missed

Awesome! Sounds like it will be a fun day. Thank you!

> @Lefty96 said:

> > @micahawitt said:

> > @Lefty96 , @Phreddy and I got a chance to play it last year (might be two). The course was in great shape and reminded me a bit like north shore cc. Quite a bit of trees so tee shots need to be somewhat dialed. Greens were in good shape and rolled very nice. Overall was just a fun track and there wasn’t anything real gimmicky or hidden shots. From what I recall just a fun round of golf in a bit of a sleeper town. @Phreddy might be able to add some more points that I missed

>

> Awesome! Sounds like it will be a fun day. Thank you!

>

Diane Hendricks is an amazing American Dream story of starting with nothing, working hard and sharing her success. From waitress to founder and now the CEO of ABC Supply one of, if not the, largest roofing supply companies in the country. The company is headquartered in her home town of Janesville Wisconsin and her personal wealth would make a lottery win look like a rounding error. She has been a major benefactor to Janesville and the neighboring city of Beloit. The Beloit CC had fallen on hard times and was destined to be a footnote in the city's past. She purchased the club, completely rehabbed the club house and the grounds so as to give the area a venue for golf, weddings, meetings and a point of pride. The course is old school parkland classic country club. The layout won't blow you away, but the conditions should be excellent. The food, the staff and the amenities remind me of Sentry World. Warm, helpful and putting the guest first.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

@Phreddy @micahawitt

After playing it today I can say that it was a very pleasant course. Very well taken care of and I was very impressed with the bunkers and greens. It was pretty windy today and that paired with my less then stellar performance off the tee meant I was not in a lot of fairways. Those big trees sure became penal to the scorecard. We had lunch there as well and the food was superb. All in all, a very great day of golf.

Playing the links on Saturday! WSGA members get a special $65 so it’s an absolute steal.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Lawsonia had a members scramble yesterday so they decided to set the pins at the most ridiculous places. It was crazy. I saw pins out there yesterday that I haven't seen in the past 15 years of playing the course on a regular basis. Got to the point where I extended the gimmie range to about 4-5 feet on some holes.

Spent the weekedn out there and I gotta say I've never seen the course run so fast and firm. Balls were running all over the place. Ran several through greens on shots that would've been safely on a couple weeks ago. Had one where I landed a 4 iron 10 feet short on #4 and it ran all the way through the back of the green and off. Never in my life seen that happen on #4. Same think on #2 where I landed one 20 feet short and it rolled all the way through. Not complaining, just was surprised.

Does anyone in this thread or forum have an in at minocqua country club? Will be up there this weekend and would love to play there.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

> @collje26 said:

> Does anyone in this thread or forum have an in at minocqua country club? Will be up there this weekend and would love to play there.

I don't know about post Labor Day guest fees, but in the summer they are steep. It usually takes a call from another club pro to get on unless you buy a round via a fund raiser like the First Tee.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

> @Phreddy said:

> > @collje26 said:

> > Does anyone in this thread or forum have an in at minocqua country club? Will be up there this weekend and would love to play there.

>

> I don't know about post Labor Day guest fees, but in the summer they are steep. It usually takes a call from another club pro to get on unless you buy a round via a fund raiser like the First Tee.

>

> Phred

Got it! I send an email since my club pro told me he would call but is at the senior state open at the bog currently. I wouldn't mind paying a steep price as long as it's not $250 or something.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

> @collje26 said:

> > @Phreddy said:

> > > @collje26 said:

> > > Does anyone in this thread or forum have an in at minocqua country club? Will be up there this weekend and would love to play there.

> >

> > I don't know about post Labor Day guest fees, but in the summer they are steep. It usually takes a call from another club pro to get on unless you buy a round via a fund raiser like the First Tee.

> >

> > Phred

>

> Got it! I send an email since my club pro told me he would call but is at the senior state open at the bog currently. I wouldn't mind paying a steep price as long as it's not $250 or something.

It is a great course and I hope you are able to get on. They get so many requests throughout the summer that they price the prime months at a rate meant to discourage guest play. I played Timber Ridge just south of Minocqua a couple weeks ago and it was a nice round.

Phred

> > Got it! I send an email since my club pro told me he would call but is at the senior state open at the bog currently. I wouldn't mind paying a steep price as long as it's not $250 or something.

>

> It is a great course and I hope you are able to get on. They get so many requests throughout the summer that they price the prime months at a rate meant to discourage guest play. I played Timber Ridge just south of Minocqua a couple weeks ago and it was a nice round.

>

> Phred

>

I've played there a couple times. It's a nice course, some real interesting (stupid imo) holes between 4 and 15. Whatever holes have almost tree's in the middle of the fairway. Never fails that I get a good round going and try to get greedy on 17 with the line and hit it in the hazard through the fairway.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Playing the legend at bergamont on Thursday for an outing. Love that course, hopefully it’s in good shape.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

I read an article from Wisconsin.golf about The Club at Lac La Belle and their course remodel. Sounds like another great addition to the Wisconsin golf scene and nice to revitalize a course with great history.

They opened 9 holes for preview play beginning September 9th. Cost is $25 for 9 holes and will be walking only.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X