Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

> @marks21 said:

> I read an article from Wisconsin.golf about The Club at Lac La Belle and their course remodel. Sounds like another great addition to the Wisconsin golf scene and nice to revitalize a course with great history.

> They opened 9 holes for preview play beginning September 9th. Cost is $25 for 9 holes and will be walking only.

I played there a few times, at a ridiculously low GolfNow rate under prior ownership. I recall the architect is unknown. But, it has a parkland style similar to the Ross design over at Oconomowoc GC, and I think they were built around the same time.

> @games said:

> > @marks21 said:

> > I read an article from Wisconsin.golf about The Club at Lac La Belle and their course remodel. Sounds like another great addition to the Wisconsin golf scene and nice to revitalize a course with great history.

> > They opened 9 holes for preview play beginning September 9th. Cost is $25 for 9 holes and will be walking only.

>

> I played there a few times, at a ridiculously low GolfNow rate under prior ownership. I recall the architect is unknown. But, it has a parkland style similar to the Ross design over at Oconomowoc GC, and I think they were built around the same time.

If they fixed the drainage, which it looks like they might have, its a fun track imo. Always liked playing over there.

b2sc48l63hlc.jpeg

Decided I would give the preview play a go at The Club at Lac La Belle. Attached is the scorecard for the preview play and a card that shows the new layout for all 18 holes. All 18 greens were replaced, in comparing to the old layout, the course is nearly completely brand new. For how wet the past few weeks have been, the 9 preview holes were in good shape. Course will need some grow in time but I walked away highly impressed. The driving range is still under construction as well as the putting green. They had new putting course completed but it was not open for play. Will be nice place to finish your round or warm up and looks to resemble the greens on course with varying undulation. Speaking of the greens, the complexes are large and undulated. Use the slopes to get close to pin or you are left with a testy putt. Looking forward to getting back next year when the full course is open for play.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

jifvlzxkmaky.jpeg

23zk1dwez58t.jpeg

19jff10mjhmb.jpeg

qzvq6jw9oua4.jpeg

9anuuu80rzap.jpeg

4rklove71mql.jpeg

> @marks21 said:

> b2sc48l63hlc.jpeg

> Decided I would give the preview play a go at The Club at Lac La Belle. Attached is the scorecard for the preview play and a card that shows the new layout for all 18 holes. All 18 greens were replaced, in comparing to the old layout, the course is nearly completely brand new. For how wet the past few weeks have been, the 9 preview holes were in good shape. Course will need some grow in time but I walked away highly impressed. The driving range is still under construction as well as the putting green. They had new putting course completed but it was not open for play. Will be nice place to finish your round or warm up and looks to resemble the greens on course with varying undulation. Speaking of the greens, the complexes are large and undulated. Use the slopes to get close to pin or you are left with a testy putt. Looking forward to getting back next year when the full course is open for play.

• Like 1

Toulon Portland H3

• 2 weeks later...

Finally was able to work in a stop at Wild Rock on my Eau Claire-to-Chicago drive yesterday and was not disappointed. Thanks to all the WI WRXers who recommended this as one of the must-plays along that corridor. Here's how the day went:

* Arrived at 8:15am without a tee time and got an 8:50 slot; they even honored the GolfNow Hot Deal rate even though the app wouldn't let me book it as a single

* I asked how the greens ran compared to the practice green and they warned me that the course was "somewhat" faster (more on that later) and that the practice green was more like the Woods course greens

* I had to take a quick conference call during my warmup time and only had time for some quick stretching, 6 drivers on the range and about 20 putts on the green before I was sent off with a local father and son twosome who were really good guys

* We were stuck behind a rather deliberate foursome until the par-3 4th, where they finally waved us up and let us play through (they must have sensed my angst while I was on the tee watching them putz around the water looking for a ball)

* The course layout is fantastic, with a lot of interesting hole shapes that give you multiple choices on how to play them (especially the doglegs where you can't see the greens)

* The conditions were terrific, although they had punched several tee boxes and moved tees around a bit

* The greens were really fast (which I like) and had some very subtle/tricky breaks, though I will say that a bunch of the pin placements were a tad sketchy (within 5-7 paces of the left or right edge). With the size and undulations of those greens, that meant you either had to risk being short-sided by pin seeking or play it safe to the middle and risk a 3-putt across multiple tiers.

* Adjusting to the speed + contours was difficult, and several of the greens seemed to run at different speeds - it took me about 5 holes to get a little more comfortable, and by then I finally decided to just fire at pins instead of the middle of the greens - it definitely helped bring the scoring somewhat back into line

* We played the front in 2:10 and finished the entire round in 4:10, so it wasn't a terribly slow day, though we did wait several minutes per shot once we caught up to foursomes and had no way to play through.

After the round, I asked the pro shop guy **WHY** they'd have the practice green run so slow compared to the course and they told me that the practice green is an artifact from the original course there (EDIT: called a "pushup" green), whereas the 18-hole Wild Rock course greens are "USGA" 80/20 sand-based greens that they can keep running faster. He said there's no way to cut/roll the practice green fast enough to match the sand greens without losing the grass. I don't know if that was a bunch of golf course mumbo jumbo, but it sounded like a legit explanation and seemed to make sense.

Overall, Wild Rock definitely makes the list of courses that I'd happily play a few times a year when driving through - in fact, I want another crack at it soon now that I have a better sense of the greens and some of the lines off the tee boxes.

Now I have to figure out how to scratch some other WRX recommendations off the WI list before year-end: University Ridge, The Oaks, Sentry, Lawsonia, Glen Erin and Trappers.

Edit: found this interesting video describing the difference between a pushup green and a USGA green. Makes a lot of sense and explains a lot RE grass length, moisture and speed:

Wild Rock is always a blast and I definitely recommend getting out to Sentry World... Always in fantastic shape

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

DeeBee,

If you find yourself in the Eau Claire vicinity again, and you wish to add to your WI list try Troy Burne. I know, it is back tracking toward Minneapolis, but still along the I-94 corridor. Really a good track if you are partial to links style golf.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Phreddy, have you played Wild Ridge in the Eau Claire area?

How does it compare to Troy Burne?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @Phreddy said:

> DeeBee,

> If you find yourself in the Eau Claire vicinity again, and you wish to add to your WI list try Troy Burne. I know, it is back tracking toward Minneapolis, but still along the I-94 corridor. Really a good track if you are partial to links style golf.

>

> Phred

Thanks, Phreddy - I'll check it out online and add it to the list as I start expanding beyond my current EC-to-Chi path.

> @geochitown said:

> Phreddy, have you played Wild Ridge in the Eau Claire area?

> How does it compare to Troy Burne?

I haven't played it, but it looks nice. I have a son in Minneapolis and drive past the area. I will have to add it to my list of destinations. I would liken TB to the Sand Valley course at Sand Valley. Very open prairie style golf, with lots of sand "hazard" creating an edge for lengths of the fairway. Truly penal. On a nice day it is a treat with great conditions. On a windy day it is a brute.

Phreddy

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

I played Monday at Mee-Kwon and it felt like walking on a sponge. Tried to go out again today, hit a real nice drive on the first tee, wedged to 10' and the lightning warning went off. We are suppose to get 3" of rain tonight in metro Milwaukee so even if there is a weather window tomorrow I think we will lose another day. It is now dark by 6:30, the 50*+ days are fleeting and I need some sun!

Phred

• Like 2

> @Phreddy said:

> > @geochitown said:

> > Phreddy, have you played Wild Ridge in the Eau Claire area?

> > How does it compare to Troy Burne?

>

> I haven't played it, but it looks nice. I have a son in Minneapolis and drive past the area. I will have to add it to my list of destinations. I would liken TB to the Sand Valley course at Sand Valley. Very open prairie style golf, with lots of sand "hazard" creating an edge for lengths of the fairway. Truly penal. On a nice day it is a treat with great conditions. On a windy day it is a brute.

>

> Phreddy

I see that Tom Lehman was involved with the design at Troy Burne

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @Phreddy said:

> I played Monday at Mee-Kwon and it felt like walking on a sponge. Tried to go out again today, hit a real nice drive on the first tee, wedged to 10' and the lightning warning went off. We are suppose to get 3" of rain tonight in metro Milwaukee so even if there is a weather window tomorrow I think we will lose another day. It is now dark by 6:30, the 50*+ days are fleeting and I need some sun!

>

> Phred

Time to pull up the "what are the best draining courses in WI?" discussion.

TM TP5x

Fall Rates just released for the Kohler Courses

October 7-20

Straits - $300

River - $210

Irish - $130

Meadow Valleys $130

WITB

> @J4Camp said:

> > @jwhite86 said:

> > Fall Rates just released for the Kohler Courses

> >

> > October 7-20

> > Straits - $300

> > River - $210

> > Irish - $130

> > Meadow Valleys $130

>

> October 21-27 they are ever cheaper. I am planning to play 3 out of the 4 October 22-23.

Are they still requiring a caddie during these dates? Or are they optional?

Toulon Portland H3

> @J4Camp said:

> > @jwhite86 said:

> > Fall Rates just released for the Kohler Courses

> >

> > October 7-20

> > Straits - $300

> > River - $210

> > Irish - $130

> > Meadow Valleys $130

>

> October 21-27 they are ever cheaper. I am planning to play 3 out of the 4 October 22-23.

In that case I'll hold out... Thanks for that info

WITB

> @marks21 said:

> > @J4Camp said:

> > > @jwhite86 said:

> > > Fall Rates just released for the Kohler Courses

> > >

> > > October 7-20

> > > Straits - $300

> > > River - $210

> > > Irish - $130

> > > Meadow Valleys $130

> >

> > October 21-27 they are ever cheaper. I am planning to play 3 out of the 4 October 22-23.

>

> Are they still requiring a caddie during these dates? Or are they optional?

I was told Caddie's are optional for our afternoon round at Whistling. Can't comment on the morning rounds.

October 7–20

The Straits at Whistling Straits – $300

The River at Blackwolf Run – $210

The Irish at Whistling Straits – $130

The Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run – $130

October 21–27

The Straits at Whistling Straits – $190

The River at Blackwolf Run – $130

The Irish at Whistling Straits – $80

The Meadow Valleys at Blackwolf Run – $80

October 28–Close

The Irish at Whistling Straits – $80

The Original Championship Course at Blackwolf Run – $80

• Like 1

Hi Wisconsin crew, Friday 10/11 I’m planning on driving up from Chicago to play Lawsonia Links then head to Sand Valley for two rounds on Saturday. I’m a big fan of The Links, haven’t been to SV yet. I could be talked into University Ridge, I haven’t played there either? I’m open for any suggestions? Where to stay Friday night, maybe add a Sunday round? Thanks

• Like 1

> @micahawitt said:

> > @ode said:

> > Even brutal in NE Wisconsin. Brown County set record for most rain on record as of 10/2.....still plenty of time left, ugh!

>

> Everything flooded? My brother lives right by Hilly Haven, i would think that drains ok over there?

I played Brown Co. Yesterday and it was saturated. There wasn't a ton of standing water, but the ground was soggy! They were having high school girls regionals there?. I feel bad for them BUT it's the same everywhere....but IMO the course is borderline unplayable and for tournament play, forget about it!

> @Chanceman said:

> Anyone played Sand Valley? How is it coping with the wet? Erin Hills?

While I haven't played them in the last couple weeks, Sand Valley and Erin Hills would both drain well. Sand Valley in particular. We are suppose to get a nice window this coming week with some sun and mid 50's/low 60's. Get it while you can!