2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping G400 Driver, Fairway Woods and Crossovers (Including Bubba's Custom Driver and 3 Wood): Shot at

GolfWRX

They are not charging $75 upgrade for a "made for" shaft, are they?

Upgrade cost:

Atmos 350

GD AD 385

Tensei Pro White 370

Oban White 405

So yea... $75 for a "made for" isn't out of the question

That's outrageous - wouldn't all of those be cheaper to just buy the aftermarket new?

There are companies out there that absolutely will not make a "made for". It takes more time and money to make a specific shaft for a company. A lot of companies simply just won't do it.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I can still see the 2 & 6 Crossover where I originally found these pictures:

Maybe they pulled these lofts from the launch, or they intend to add them later in the year.

From the front page, with the G400 Crossover:

According to Ping’s testing, golfers will see 20 percent higher launch and 500 rpm more spin.

Was this even remotely necessary?

Got a chance to hit the G400 driver today.

Beautiful club that sits behind the ball really well. You'd never know it's 445cc if you didn't look into it.

Stock copper colored shaft in stiff flex felt good @ 114mph swing speed in stiff flex. However when I really went after it, dispersion got a little unpredictable.

I was hitting consistent mid-launch balls that were carrying about 285-288 and rolling out to 305-310.

Felt really good, however on off center hits it didn't have that "still caught it solid" that Epic and sometimes even M series will give you. You definitely know when you mishit it.

Aesthetically from the top it looks super good. I thought the Turbulators + Dragonfly + dimples would all look really busy, but they don't seem to. w/ the Matte black crown none of it really stands out that much even in broad daylight.

Spin wise I was in the low 2000's without being fit at all, so that was promising.

I'd absolutely play this driver, and might go buy one on the 27th when they're allowed to sell them.

Upgrade cost:

Atmos 350

GD AD 385

Tensei Pro White 370

Oban White 405

That's outrageous - wouldn't all of those be cheaper to just buy the aftermarket new?

There are companies out there that absolutely will not make a "made for". It takes more time and money to make a specific shaft for a company. A lot of companies simply just won't do it.

I appreciate that this may be the case from time to time, but 4 things:

1. They are offering a made-for HZRDUS yellow as a "slight upcharge" shaft, so I don't think PING is that company.

2. Other OEMs offer some of the same real-deal shafts for less (for example, Titleist offers the Kiyoshi white for $375).

3. Notwithstanding your point, I do find it a bit off-putting that I need to pay retail prices for the shafts. If I'm already paying $400 for the head (presumably some of which is being paid for the shaft), why am I paying $400 for a $400 shaft, especially since they likely order enough to justify a break from the shaft manufacturers (see 2 above).

4. I play 80g shafts in my fairways and I'm not going to pay an extra $200-400 just to have a fairway wood I'm comfortable hitting.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy PING, far from it - I love their clubs and I can't wait to pick up a G with a Tour 75, but I just feel like they really just go out of their way to hinder people from buying aftermarket so they can keep you within the sphere of what they think is best. I almost see them as Apple that way - stay in their ecosystem and you'll be fine, but if you want to play around with it on your own terms, you'll end up having a tough time.

Anyway, rant over...I really am looking forward to hitting this stuff.

PING G430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSR3 3w  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSR3 4h  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 350g

Weird numbers from Crossfield, he's normally consistently hitting a number around 260 with every driver on the market. 262 as normal with the LS Tec, but numbers really drop off with the other two. 244 with the SF Tec with 2800 spin and 248 with the normal version (which he hit extra shots with to try and get more "normal" numbers) spinning up at 2900.

Upgrade cost:

Atmos 350

GD AD 385

Tensei Pro White 370

Oban White 405

I appreciate that this may be the case from time to time, but 4 things:

1. They are offering a made-for HZRDUS yellow as a "slight upcharge" shaft, so I don't think PING is that company.

2. Other OEMs offer some of the same real-deal shafts for less (for example, Titleist offers the Kiyoshi white for $375).

3. Notwithstanding your point, I do find it a bit off-putting that I need to pay retail prices for the shafts. If I'm already paying $400 for the head (presumably some of which is being paid for the shaft), why am I paying $400 for a $400 shaft, especially since they likely order enough to justify a break from the shaft manufacturers (see 2 above).

4. I play 80g shafts in my fairways and I'm not going to pay an extra $200-400 just to have a fairway wood I'm comfortable hitting.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy PING, far from it - I love their clubs and I can't wait to pick up a G with a Tour 75, but I just feel like they really just go out of their way to hinder people from buying aftermarket so they can keep you within the sphere of what they think is best. I almost see them as Apple that way - stay in their ecosystem and you'll be fine, but if you want to play around with it on your own terms, you'll end up having a tough time.

Anyway, rant over...I really am looking forward to hitting this stuff.

The $75 upgrade shafts are not "made-for" ... they are the real deal ... they were chosen based on how they compare to Alta and Tour shafts and complete the overall fitting landscape

The $75 upgrade shafts are not "made-for" ... they are the real deal ... they were chosen based on how they compare to Alta and Tour shafts and complete the overall fitting landscape

So I can expect to see the "Hand Crafted" logo on all of the HZRDUS yellows?

Well all major youtubers have said their peace pretty much on the new stuff. LS Tech right up there with Epic SZ as far as getting low spin for guys with higher swing speeds. Not too impressed with the wood, but I'm assuming it's a typical uber forgiving Ping offering, sacrificing distance a touch. Still kind of upset the hybrid doesn't look adjustable, while basically every other company offers that feature in some form. I really like being able to open up the face a touch to avoid too much draw, which helps me hit a tiny fade. I'd worry I'd hook the G400. The irons do look and sound very nice, but seem to offer typical performance as most new stuff (Hot Metal, XR, etc.)

Why would you want a hand crafted shaft. That would be inferior to machine made.

If serious - I apologize.

Why would you want a hand crafted shaft. That would be inferior to machine made.

100% serious and 100% correct.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

100% serious and 100% correct.

Tell that to Justin Thomas, Jason Dufner, Billy Horschel, Dustin Johnson and all the other guys who have won this year with an inferior shaft.

Got to play 18 holes with the 10* LST today and was really impressed! I haven't hit it in any launch monitors but could tell that the spin was way down from my G30 and my buddy's G LS. Maybe not as low as the Epic SZ but still low. Longer carry and more roll with the same dispersion, if not better.

But probably the best part for me was the sound! To me it sounded almost exactly like the original Rapture which probably is my favorite driver of all time.

Will have access to a launch monitor tomorrow to try it again but I'm pretty sure that I will order one!

Ping G430 LST 9* Kai'li White
Ping G425 Max 14.5* PX HZRDUS Yellow HC
Ping G425 Max 20.5* PX Evenflow Riptide LX Proto
Ping i230 4-P DG 120 X100
Ping Glide 4.0 52, 56, 60 DG TI S400
Ping PLD Anser

For what it's worth, I can still see the 2 & 6 Crossover where I originally found these pictures:

Maybe they pulled these lofts from the launch, or they intend to add them later in the year.

From the front page, with the G400 Crossover:

According to Ping’s testing, golfers will see 20 percent higher launch and 500 rpm more spin.

Was this even remotely necessary?

I was really hoping your info on the 2 crossover was correct from a few days ago. I'm disappointed they are only going to 3.

Got to play 18 holes with the 10* LST today and was really impressed! I haven't hit it in any launch monitors but could tell that the spin was way down from my G30 and my buddy's G LS. Maybe not as low as the Epic SZ but still low. Longer carry and more roll with the same dispersion, if not better.

But probably the best part for me was the sound! To me it sounded almost exactly like the original Rapture which probably is my favorite driver of all time.

Will have access to a launch monitor tomorrow to try it again but I'm pretty sure that I will order one!

Amazing! Any issues with losing it right?

Hit one that was leaking a bit right but that was a mediocre swing with the wind coming from 12 o'clock. Other than that, no problems and I usually hit a small cut so I'm really excited :)

Ping G430 LST 9* Kai'li White
Ping G425 Max 14.5* PX HZRDUS Yellow HC
Ping G425 Max 20.5* PX Evenflow Riptide LX Proto
Ping i230 4-P DG 120 X100
Ping Glide 4.0 52, 56, 60 DG TI S400
Ping PLD Anser

Hit one that was leaking a bit right but that was a mediocre swing with the wind coming from 12 o'clock. Other than that, no problems and I usually hit a small cut so I'm really excited :)

Music to my ears - much appreciated!

Beautiful club that sits behind the ball really well. You'd never know it's 445cc if you didn't look into it.

Stock copper colored shaft in stiff flex felt good @ 114mph swing speed in stiff flex. However when I really went after it, dispersion got a little unpredictable.

I was hitting consistent mid-launch balls that were carrying about 285-288 and rolling out to 305-310.

Felt really good, however on off center hits it didn't have that "still caught it solid" that Epic and sometimes even M series will give you. You definitely know when you mishit it.

Aesthetically from the top it looks super good. I thought the Turbulators + Dragonfly + dimples would all look really busy, but they don't seem to. w/ the Matte black crown none of it really stands out that much even in broad daylight.

Spin wise I was in the low 2000's without being fit at all, so that was promising.

I'd absolutely play this driver, and might go buy one on the 27th when they're allowed to sell them.

Hey Bomber,

Do you usually play a Stiff with a 114 swing or did they not have a x-stiff to hit? Any word on picking up some swing speed from the smaller head and aerodynamics, or is 114 standard? I'm really eager to hit this coming from a reliable (but CHUNKY) Cleveland Classic XL Custom. Side note: if anyone like trying old tech, give the Cleveland a go, it's a cannon.

Thanks

The driver, fw, and hybrids (maybe one crossover, but still not sure I get along with them tbh) will be in the bag as soon as I can get fit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the spy site:

"The sum total of the enhanced design yields a clubhead with combined MOI over 9000 (9263 to be exact), which PING says makes the G400 the most forgiving driver on the market (by plenty) despite its 445cc footprint. The G400 has a heel/toe inertia of 5342 (g-cm^2). Assuming that's true, the G400 isn't just the most forgiving driver in golf, it doesn't even fit on our CG/MOI chart. We'll need to expand our x-axis to make room.

Yeah… that’s right, killer MOI in a sub-460cc package."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even if the G400 gave me exactly the same distance and dispersion as my current driver, I would still get it on looks and sound alone.

It's bad Word not allowed. And no crazy 17 yard claims year after year from PING.

Itching to demo this thing.

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

I've been all over looking for an answer on the Aldila Copper shaft, has anyone got a definitive answer on this shaft? Has anyone talked to a Ping rep about it, will they offer a 70X as some have stated for the fairways?

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

Weird numbers from Crossfield, he's normally consistently hitting a number around 260 with every driver on the market. 262 as normal with the LS Tec, but numbers really drop off with the other two. 244 with the SF Tec with 2800 spin and 248 with the normal version (which he hit extra shots with to try and get more "normal" numbers) spinning up at 2900.

I thought Dan's numbers were even weirder. It's been a while but I thought I remember him being longer than Mark in one of their course vlogs (the one with his comically ill fitting pants). Maybe he was having a bad swing day but he was hitting 3 wood numbers.

G400 LST 10* Tour 65x
G400 15.5* Tour 75x
G30 19* Tour 90x
Z785 X100 4-9
SM7 46.10F/50.08F/54.08M/60.8M
MCC plus4 mid
Kingston KP1 GSS w/ Pingman
Srixon Z star XV

Hey Bomber,

Do you usually play a Stiff with a 114 swing or did they not have a x-stiff to hit? Any word on picking up some swing speed from the smaller head and aerodynamics, or is 114 standard? I'm really eager to hit this coming from a reliable (but CHUNKY) Cleveland Classic XL Custom. Side note: if anyone like trying old tech, give the Cleveland a go, it's a cannon.

Thanks

Hey man,

I'm usually an X or TX flex player, but the stiff was all they had.

I really couldn't go after it much past 114-116 or it would lose control with that shaft. I feel like I could've gotten it to 120 without much of an issue with a stouter shaft though.

Definitely give this a go! Feels awesome and looks sexy AF. And I've never been a Ping fan

The driver, fw, and hybrids (maybe one crossover, but still not sure I get along with them tbh) will be in the bag as soon as I can get fit.

From the spy site:

"The sum total of the enhanced design yields a clubhead with combined MOI over 9000 (9263 to be exact), which PING says makes the G400 the most forgiving driver on the market (by plenty) despite its 445cc footprint. The G400 has a heel/toe inertia of 5342 (g-cm^2). Assuming that's true, the G400 isn't just the most forgiving driver in golf, it doesn't even fit on our CG/MOI chart. We'll need to expand our x-axis to make room.

Yeah… that’s right, killer MOI in a sub-460cc package."

Even if the G400 gave me exactly the same distance and dispersion as my current driver, I would still get it on looks and sound alone.

It's bad Word not allowed. And no crazy 17 yard claims year after year from PING.

Itching to demo this thing.

Thanks,

Up to 5 mph in ball speeds reported...pretty amazing over the GLST. going to hit on Wednesday and get fit. If I have similar results no doubt I'll preorder. Think Ping G400 is going to be the Epic killer.

Hey Bomber,

Thanks

Hey man,

I'm usually an X or TX flex player, but the stiff was all they had.

I really couldn't go after it much past 114-116 or it would lose control with that shaft. I feel like I could've gotten it to 120 without much of an issue with a stouter shaft though.

Definitely give this a go! Feels awesome and looks sexy AF. And I've never been a Ping fan

Good to hear and thanks again for the feedback. I'm ok with a little extra load up top, but felt the same about losing the tour stiff in the 1teens. Based on looks alone, really like the Alta but wonder if the X will be about to keep up. Other Altas I've hit have played softer than the label IMO.

Let us know if you get some swings in with an X! Realistically won't be able to hit it for another week or so.

I thought Dan's numbers were even weirder. It's been a while but I thought I remember him being longer than Mark in one of their course vlogs (the one with his comically ill fitting pants). Maybe he was having a bad swing day but he was hitting 3 wood numbers.

Yeah the numbers were so weird. Dan was definitely hitting it past him in that vlog. Just confuses me that Crossfield wasn't hitting anywhere close to his normal numbers with the standard G400. He's normally so consistent with his spin and carry numbers. People should really be trying it out before considering buying.