2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Tad Moore Putters

bazinoz

Looking to increase my putter collection with a Tad Moore.

Got my eye on a Tad Moore 1st Production 1998 Pro TM-15 that looks good condition and is quite a "reasonable" price.

Are these thought to be a decent example of a Tad Moore putter? Is there any extra collectability (for want of a better word) in these 1st production runs? They seem to be just late 90's era.

And if anyone can tell me what these putters are made from would be good. Tried a few searches on here but not come up with much so far.

I'm also trying to get a Barn Find, except they seem to be quite rare and very "exy". Would love an 8802 style of TM putter.

Of course you could go the route that I did and reach out to Tad and have him make one for you!! Should have it in the next couple weeks!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

The older production models you are referring too are carbon with a cobalt plating. Tad makes great putters in general and you can't go wrong with any model you add to you collection. He has made putters dependently and for numerous OEMs. Ultimately it comes down to how much you want to pay and what you are trying to do with your collection. Barn finds are nice but as you have seem are up here in price; you could get the regular 8802 style non barn find for about $100. I don't think you will see tads putter escalate in price but they are all solid putters. I am currently looking for something from tad that is newer and not from one of the OEMs. I used to see them for sale all the time but not many recently. As someone else mentioned get in touch with Tad and have him make you something. He post here and on puttertalk.com.

I'm no a Scotty fan boi but would possibly classify myself as a TADpole(WTF?!??)

I won my first one over at Oakmont, hadn't heard of Tad at the time and asked Bob Ford if he was one of their members as they had a few that designed and built one-offs for certain members(Bob actually used one in his second PGA Championship, and he made the cut so I'm guessing that he made some putts, lol). As Classy as he is, he looked at me like "WTF" and said no, and later told me Tad's story.

Regarding the "Barn Find" issues, I think that Rob lives in the friggin barn??

I love both the TM-6 and Tour Blade.

They all have an incredible feel!

The Very Best with your hunt?

Have a great weekend?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Of course you could go the route that I did and reach out to Tad and have him make one for you!! Should have it in the next couple weeks!!

THIS!!

Very Nicely Played?

My Best?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I've no idea what Tad charges for a custom, but might be a bit prohibitive with the US to Aussie dollar exchange rate at the mo, plus postage.

I might try find him on here though and ask. No harm :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm no a Scotty fan boi but would possibly classify myself as a TADpole(WTF?!?)

I won my first one over at Oakmont, hadn't heard of Tad at the time and asked Bob Ford if he was one of their members as they had a few that designed and built one-offs for certain members(Bob actually used one in his second PGA Championship, and he made the cut so I'm guessing that he made some putts, lol). As Classy as he is, he looked at me like "WTF" and said no, and later told me Tad's story.

Regarding the "Barn Find" issues, I think that Rob lives in the friggin barn

The Very Best with your hunt

Have a great weekend

RP

Richard, those putters look fantastic.

I wish I was in USA near you so I could come over and take a peek at your collection of putters. Almost every thread on every putter brand/type you seem able to post a beautiful example of that putter that you have :D

Any particular thoughts on that 1st Prod run 1998 TM-15 that I mentioned? It's the one I've got my eye on. And I've seen them on ebay for $100+ US and $500 US. Crazy differences.

Ultimately it comes down to how much you want to pay and what you are trying to do with your collection. Barn finds are nice but as you have seem are up here in price; you could get the regular 8802 style non barn find for about $100. I don't think you will see tads putter escalate in price but they are all solid putters.

Not sure what I'm trying to do with my collection mate.

Basically I suppose I'm looking at something from each of the top line makers. I've got a Betti BB1 (my gamer), TP Mills Trad (and a couple Spalding TPM's), a Lajosi, Scotty & Seemore,

On the look out for (affordable), Tad Moore, Byron, Xenon, Black Lab and other boutiques as they come up. Generally look at Anser types.

I have also started collecting 8802 types. Got a "The Wilson" 8802, Wilson Staff 8802 milled, Wilson 8813, 2x Old Master W802's and a Yonex Super ADX Forged.

This is where it gets a bit expensive though. All the "boutique" 8802 variants are top $$. ie Barn Find, Napa, Lajosi LP808, Betti SS6 or BB2 etc. They all seem way more expensive than the other putters of their brand.

might consider blunting the leading edge so they don't dig (like 716MBs)

I am not steep, so this leading edge, combined with the very subtle v grind should be ideal for turf interaction with my swing.

Great putters - really love them. I have gamed lots of Camerons including circle T's, but keep coming back to my Tad Moore.

Here is my gamer ... 009 in sheep's clothing.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

I'm no a Scotty fan boi but would possibly classify myself as a TADpole(WTF?!??)

Have a great weekend?

RP

Richard, those putters look fantastic.

I wish I was in USA near you so I could come over and take a peek at your collection of putters. Almost every thread on every putter brand/type you seem able to post a beautiful example of that putter that you have :D

Any particular thoughts on that 1st Prod run 1998 TM-15 that I mentioned? It's the one I've got my eye on. And I've seen them on ebay for $100+ US and $500 US. Crazy differences.

Hey Bro, if ya ever get through the Burgh, gimme a holler :)

Regarding the 1st Run TM-15, and I haven't looked it up however I'd guess that your $500 stick is either a Limited Edition and/or a Tour Issue hand stamped example. The $99-200 putters are great putters and I'd put em up against ANY retail Scotty or Betti. Basically you can buy 2-4 of em for what you'd pay for either of the two mentioned.

Rob will be able to assist you much more regarding the Barn Finds as he has some amazing examples, especially his most recently posted one.

When ya get yours, please post it!

My Best?

RP

I love my Tad Moore putter. I know this post bears little relevance to the OP's inquiries, I just love my putter and like showing it off. Hit 'em straight fellas!

E2C9C61E-F1BF-4E5C-BF13-4919B7B6181F_zpsua8yvznc.jpg

98FCB3FE-81A6-48C7-8EC1-A255E1584E3A_zpsdtef7eqk.jpg

• Like 1

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

This beauty returned from Continental after a refurb and face mill. The putter arrived without a cover so I purchased a replacement from Tad. I'm just as excited to receive the cover as it bares his likeness. Really enjoyed the exchange with Tad. He indicated the putter weight to be in the range of 330 grams and the head to be Carbon with a 99.99% copper insert. He also informed me that he has inserts available for purchase separately, which has me searching for another project. Rolled the putter a few days ago and it felt great. Frames the ball beautifully at address. Certainly like the thin top line and soft edges.

Good luck in your search. I'm proud to own one of Tad's creation. A true pioneer.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I'm no a Scotty fan boi but would possibly classify myself as a TADpole(WTF?!?��)

Regarding the "Barn Find" issues, I think that Rob lives in the friggin barn����

The Very Best with your hunt��

Have a great weekend��

RP

That Maxfli is slick looking! Out of ignorance... where is the "sweet spot" on the face of that bad boy? Does it line up with the sight line(s)? Not sure I've ever seen a head shape quite like that.

I love my Tad Moore putter. I know this post bears little relevance to the OP's inquiries, I just love my putter and like showing it off. Hit 'em straight fellas!

Like mine, but yours has a site dot. Where did you get that done? Would like that on mine.

[size=3][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][url="https://www.usna.edu/homepage.php"]Go Navy![/url]

[b][u]WITB[/u][/b]
Titleist 915 D4 8.5 Oban V430 6.5 75g
Titleist 915 F2 15 Rogue Silver 80S
Titleist VG3 18.5 JDM PX 6.0
Titleist 680 raw 4-PW Nippon MODUS 125S
Titleist TVD raw C-C 53 and Indigo SM5 58 DGTI
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 340g 35"
Scotty Cameron MilSpec Gen2 330g 35"[/font][/size]

Like mine, but yours has a site dot. Where did you get that done? Would like that on mine.

I think it was BOS I sent the head in to before I shafted it to have the dot put on. It was like $15 plus shipping.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

Hello Baz,

Sorry for the delay.

Firstly, as T-MAC above suggests, I would get in touch with Chip Usher who always has something special from Tad laying about.

There have been many versions of the Pro 1 Putter made over the years. The newer ones are 350 -360g whereas the older 1st production runs were quite a deal lighter as were most putters. Some of the originals were Carbon as someone stated (Black Oxide or Silver) and Carbon with Cobolt plating and some were good old Stainless.

The prices on Tad Moore putters seem to vary more than any other maker in the secondary market. You can pick up a near mint of the version you are after for $250 or some people try to get a whole lot more.

I would be in no rush. Check out PT, weigh your options and definitely contact Tad. He is not famous for long responses, so work out what you want to ask.

If I were you, I would forego the putter you are watching and get Tad to do you a 8802 style head. He can definitely do you a Barn Find in Stainless and if you have any luck he may have some Damascus inserts available. One thing I can promise you; Tad Moore putters represent value for money in today's marketplace and hold their own against the better known Artisan manufacturers both in looks and playability.

Hope this helps. :-)

Rob

• Like 1

Have a great weekend?

RP

That Maxfli is slick looking! Out of ignorance... where is the "sweet spot" on the face of that bad boy? Does it line up with the sight line(s)? Not sure I've ever seen a head shape quite like that.

Hey RD, I hope all's well :)

Yes, it does line up with the line which initially was surprising as I had quite a few putters from this period where that is not the case, including some "high end" models.

Have a great weekend?

RP

I'm no a Scotty fan boi but would possibly classify myself as a TADpole(WTF?!?)

Regarding the "Barn Find" issues, I think that Rob lives in the friggin barn

The Very Best with your hunt

Have a great weekend

RP

Hey RD, I hope all's well :)

Yes, it does line up with the line which initially was surprising as I had quite a few putters from this period where that is not the case, including some "high end" models.

Have a great weekend

RP

Thanks for the reply... very cool. Might look for one on the Bay.

Have a nice weekend as well!

Hello Baz,

Sorry for the delay.

Firstly, as T-MAC above suggests, I would get in touch with Chip Usher who always has something special from Tad laying about.

There have been many versions of the Pro 1 Putter made over the years. The newer ones are 350 -360g whereas the older 1st production runs were quite a deal lighter as were most putters. Some of the originals were Carbon as someone stated (Black Oxide or Silver) and Carbon with Cobolt plating and some were good old Stainless.

The prices on Tad Moore putters seem to vary more than any other maker in the secondary market. You can pick up a near mint of the version you are after for $250 or some people try to get a whole lot more.

I would be in no rush. Check out PT, weigh your options and definitely contact Tad. He is not famous for long responses, so work out what you want to ask.

If I were you, I would forego the putter you are watching and get Tad to do you a 8802 style head. He can definitely do you a Barn Find in Stainless and if you have any luck he may have some Damascus inserts available. One thing I can promise you; Tad Moore putters represent value for money in today's marketplace and hold their own against the better known Artisan manufacturers both in looks and playability.

Hope this helps. :-)

Rob

Thanks Rob & T MAC. The more I'm reading the more I am inclined to go the Barn Find route. Or a standard 8802 style from Tad. I've switched to putting full-time with my 8802's and it seems to make my stroke and results so much better. So rather than increase my putter collection with all styles, I think I'll narrow down to 8802's.

I believe Tad is active on here? Anyone able to let me know his username (I saw it in a thread somewhere but can't find it).

And how do I go about contacting Chip Usher? Is he on GolfWRX?

Majic is Tad's user name.

I believe Chip's is chipaputt.

Good luck

Thanks PD. I just tried messaging majic but got the message " the user is unable to receive more messages" :(

Does anyone know if the user message servers need to be regularly cleared for space on this forum? (happens on some others).

I assume that his inbox is full. I recently corresponded with him via [email protected] after a recent purchase on his website.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Hello Baz,

Great to see everyone has chimed in with solid advice for you here. I agree wholeheartedly with your decision about sticking with 8802 style putters. I have been shouting from the rooftops for years how they will improve anyone's putting stroke.

As per your message, here are the putters you inquired about. The first is a 'Shorty' with Copper insert.

(You can never tell until you post pics whether you are going to get an ad in the way like here - please click on the images.)