2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping K15 Driver - Still Relevant?

Caddie123

Currently gaming a K15 driver that I've had in the bag for the last 4 years. It's been serving me well, but I've been toying with the idea of a new driver for a bit more distance, especially since the K15 has been around for 7 years now.

Anyone still gaming a K15 and have compared it to newer offerings? Am I leaving any distance on the table by continuing with a K15?

I'm a 12 index with a swing speed of around 105. Playing a 9.5 with the stock stiff shaft.

Totally relevant. Saw a shootout between G5-thru-G30 drivers. No significant difference in distance and accuracy. (G5 won distance iirc.) If you like your K15 keep it. If you want a new shiny club, buy one, but newer isn't better... unless of course your new club and shaft are a better fit. But then that'd be true for a properly-fitted, old used club too.

Edit: I play a Ping G15.

Ping G400 Max driver w Fujikura Vista Pro 55 

TaylorMade Sim2 Max-D 5W w Diamana s60 Limited

Cobra F8 One Length 3H and 4H

Cobra F7 One Length 5-GW

Cleveland CG15 55* & 60* 

Bridgestone TD-01 putter

Jumbomax JMX Ultralite XL grips

While a great driver, I'd put the K15 behind comparable newer models only because the lack of easy interchangeability. Newer models allow the users to easily find optimal shaft combos and loft

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

I took my K15 out for a round Wednesday. Haven't used it for a few years.

So easy to hit the fairways with it! The slightly shorter shaft (compared to newer drivers) seemed easier to hit the ball solidly.

If you buy a new driver, keep the K15.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

So easy to hit the fairways with it! The slightly shorter shaft (compared to newer drivers) seemed easier to hit the ball solidly.

I believe stock length of the K15 is 45.75", same as more recent drivers.

From the K15 was born "straight flight technology" (SF Tec) used in later models, which I think is just more weight toward the heel of the club.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

I believe stock length of the K15 is 45.75", same as more recent drivers.

From the K15 was born "straight flight technology" (SF Tec) used in later models, which I think is just more weight toward the heel of the club.

Yes you are right. Shaft is same length as the SLDR I have been using

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

Currently gaming a K15 driver that I've had in the bag for the last 4 years. It's been serving me well, but I've been toying with the idea of a new driver for a bit more distance, especially since the K15 has been around for 7 years now.

Anyone still gaming a K15 and have compared it to newer offerings? Am I leaving any distance on the table by continuing with a K15?

I'm a 12 index with a swing speed of around 105. Playing a 9.5 with the stock stiff shaft.

Back in the fall of 2010, I got fitted to a K15, which I used happily and well for 4 years. I even tested it against the G20 and G25 when they came out, and I got better numbers with the K15.

However, when the G30 line came out with the SF Tec option, I suspected that I was looking at an "updated" version of the K15. I went back to the same fitter (one of Ping's very best guys in the SE) and told him I'd buy a club if he could get me 10 yds with no loss of dispersion. We did a pretty extensive fitting, and sure enough, the G30 SF Tec with the stock TFC shaft did exactly that. I've been using it ever since, and it's just a great club. I loved the K15, but this is significantly better, at least for me. I think the distance gain came from a lower spin rate than the K15, and the ability to open or close the face adds to the dispersion picture beyond what the K15 could do.

G30's can be had pretty cheap now, especially with the G400 in the pipeline; you might want to give it a try.

I got fitted at Ping in Phoenix in 2011 for a K15. I currently play 2 of them. One is 10.5* and the other is 12*. I wanted to spend some money a month ago so I went for a fitting locally. I tried the M1, M2 and Epic. None of them were any longer or more accurate then my K15. I saved over $400.

Every single person that has ever tried my K15's have loved them. They are just as long and the forgiveness is amazing. You can swing that club as hard as you wish, hit the ball over the face and the result is still playable. Many times I've hit 12-14 fairways a round.

^ great post

I put my G25 back in the bag recently and I've been really striping it, but I wonder if I could pick up a few yards with a G30. Might give it a shot.

Maybe. And I'll add this to mix, keeping in mind that I always approach a fitting with the mindset that I'm willing to pay the fitting charge to find out that what I've got still what I need.

1. Two different club guys, one a fitter and one a repair/builder, have told me that Ping put a lot of money into upgrading the TFC stock shaft in the G30 line. In previous Ping drivers, I had ALWAYS been fitted to an aftermarket shaft; Diamana Blue, Serrano, Xcon5. I went to my G30 fitting expecting the same, and nothing we tried was better (for me!) than the stock shaft, which shocked me.

2. A couple of weeks ago, I called a Top 100 fitter in NC about doing a fitting for an Epic because of all the buzz surrounding that club. He asked me what I was using, if I knew my swing speed, and if I knew my carry and overall numbers. (I do.) When I told him that I was 64 and had a low 90's swing speed, along with my distance numbers, he told me to save my money because there is still nothing on the market better than a correctly fit G30, and he was including the M drivers as well as the Epics. He did say that the G driver was about 15% more forgiving than the G30, but no longer than the G30. Given that I was willing to pay him $60 to find that out for myself, I thought that was pretty high praise.

It took a long time to sell off my k15. Its a great driver but I've found I get longer distances and great forgiveness from some newer options. G25 put k15 out of the bag but I am currently loving the Epic.

I'd say try some newer offerings for yourself. Try the sf tec stuff from PING and the Callaway Fusion and Epic lines. I'd also try 2017 TM m1 and m2 and Cobra.

I believe I went something like this: k15, g25, g30, callaway ftiz, g30, callaway XR15, Callaway Fusion, Callaway Epic. I expect a Fusion/Epic battle. Somewhere in there I also tried the Nike Covert 1.0 and 2.0.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

This is high praise indeed.

596 - since you have both the 10.5 and 12, it makes me wonder if the 10.5 flights too low for you? How does the flight (on the 10.5) compare to other drivers? Lower, the same?

Thanks.

I got fitted at Ping in Phoenix in 2011 for a K15. I currently play 2 of them. One is 10.5* and the other is 12*. I wanted to spend some money a month ago so I went for a fitting locally. I tried the M1, M2 and Epic. None of them were any longer or more accurate then my K15. I saved over $400.

Every single person that has ever tried my K15's have loved them. They are just as long and the forgiveness is amazing. You can swing that club as hard as you wish, hit the ball over the face and the result is still playable. Many times I've hit 12-14 fairways a round.

My K15 fitting experience was similar to yours. I was using an original Rapture at the time, and the Rapture V2 and the G15 were also both available. I got better numbers with the K15 than any of those, both for distance and dispersion; 12* head with the Aldila Serrano shaft. Later, I picked up a 10.5* degree and put an Xcon5 into it; both were great, great combinations.

For my money, the K15 was the most underrated and most misunderstood club of all time. It was so much better than people thought, and the belief was that it was "draw-biased", which just isn't true. I have played a draw (or battled a hook, depending on the day) forever; the K15 hooked LESS for me that previous drivers, AND let me hit a reliable fade for the first time in my life.

I think the K15 was viewed a super GI club, and accordingly bypassed by a lot of players that could have used it to great benefit. And I'll say it again; the G30 SF Tec (and the G SF Tec as well, I assume) are essentially updated versions of the K15 that add a far better stock shaft, significantly lowered spin rates, and adjustability to the mix. They are worth consideration by K15 users.

I've had this discussion with a lot of WRXers and the answer is always - "If what you have fits your eye and feel than there isn't a better club out there to match the distance and accuracy."

However, don't let people tell you newer isn't better. Its always better, thats why they make it. When I say better I mean when swung by a robot/machine that swings perfectly and has the perfect shaft for the speed/tempo. The test results don't lie in those instances. The key is to find a new driver/shaft combo that fits your eye, swing, tempo, etc.

See below article.

http://pluggedingolf.com/are-new-drivers-really-better-golf-myths-unplugged/

This is high praise indeed.

596 - since you have both the 10.5 and 12, it makes me wonder if the 10.5 flights too low for you? How does the flight (on the 10.5) compare to other drivers? Lower, the same?

Thanks.

LOL....no, actually the 12* was too high. I went to 10.5 and picked up 10 yards of distance. I've been toying with getting a 9.5* but I'm reluctant as I may lose some accuracy with less loft. I've shot many rounds with 12-14 fairways and scores in the 60's with either head. I really see no reason to change.

As bluedot mentioned it is a misunderstood club. While Ping touts its as a straight flight driver and not draw biased if you sole the club on the heel side to where it rests on the sf Tec pad it rocks the face shut a good amount. If you sole it more in the center of the heel it sits more neutral. I tend to play my hands lower where it rests on the pad and so it always looked closed to me. And I struggle with hooking the ball. So no matter what loft and shaft combo I just hit big sweeping draws with it. Not for lack of trying. I owned about 4 or 5 10.5's and 4 or 5 12*'s too. And don't get me started on the k15 Fairways. I've owned more of those than the driver lol.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

Bit the bullet and bought a brand spanking new K15 driver on eBay last night. 10.5* with R-flex stock shaft. I couldn't resist after reading what's been said here.

The seller probably is a WRXer, as he said he bought it as a back up in 2011 and it's been in his closet. He's moved on to the G30 and I am pleased he did!

K15 was the Driver in my bag the longest prior to purchasing the BB Fusion. A very accurate driver. I used it mostly through the winter and still held it's own on the soggy fairways of a Scottish parkland.

I thought it was a cracking driver however the amount of offset meant I needed to really go at the ball and come over the top. Unfortunately I started to do this with my irons so it had to go to the 2016/2017 graveyard. It shares a grave with all the others. RIP (TM R15, TM AeroBurner Mini, BenRoss Hot, Cobra AMP Cell and Ping i20)

My anxious mind is my biggest enemy out there, so any club messing with me and giving my the heed spiders has to go.

I've been playing the K15 driver since it came out. Best driver I've ever hit. I even have a back up "just in case." If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

PING G400 MAX driver, 10.5*, Tour 65 shaft
PING K15 3 wood, TFC 149F shaft
PING G15 hybrid, 23*, TFC 149H shaft
PING G400 irons, 5-U, AWT 2.0 steel shafts
PING Eye 2 XG SW and LW, TFC 149I shaft
PING Zing 5 KS stainless steel putter

After going thru many drivers (FT-3 draw, Cobra S-9, components, even TM Mini SLDR) I have the K15, 10.5° stock shaft in the bag and found my consistent off the tee, ball goes straight driver. I would recommend to anyone who is looking for a driver that goes straight to give it a try.

Have the 16° 3W in the bag, but mainly use for teeing up on long par 3 or tight par 4/5 holes. I recently put the 19° 5W in. I am watching for deals on the 22° 7W, to see how it would compete against my hybrid.

When G30 SFTec drivers drop a little more in price, I want to give it a try to see if it would unseat the K15.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR (adapter at +1.5°)

Ping G 5 & 6H, Alta CB R

Cleveland Launcher XL 7-DW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel/Callaway Supersoft

By the way. The k15 3 wood and hybrids are also exceptional.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I also have the K15 3 wood which is 16 degrees. Love it.So easy to hit.

Easiest to hit 3 wood ever produced. I still game mine from time to time.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*