2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

San Francisco to Monterey Trip Report

Argonne69

Ugh. I hate flying and driving. An hour and a half from Oakland Airport to The Presidio. Traffic on the Bay Bridge was a nightmare.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Ugh. I hate flying and driving. An hour and a half from Oakland Airport to The Presidio. Traffic on the Bay Bridge was a nightmare.

Arg, the original Presidio Golf Club is the building you are heading towards playing into the 9th green green (all the crap built behind 18 green is very new and was never there when it was private/military only). If you can slide in there before you leave you will get a feel for how the place and once was. I remember it all well, place has a lot of history, and what a piece of property.

Historic-Inline.jpg

BAconcordia-presidio-golf_normal_size-300x225.jpg?w&crop=0%2C0px%2C100%2Cpx

edit: enjoy hole #4.

A wonderful round at Presidio to start the day. The weather was perfect. My two playing partners were great. The pace was of play was fantastic, and the course was in great shape (minus a few too many unrepaired ball marks) . Couldn't ask for a better start to the trip.

The course is built on a wonderful piece of rolling terrain, surrounded by eucalyptus trees. I don't think there's a flat lie on the course. Lol. Many of the holes slant right to left, so playing a draw helps hold the fairway. A few holes need a fade off the tee, so being able to work the ball both ways helps scoring. Elevation changes require one to two clubs at times, so club selection is key. The greens were rolling a little slow, but very playable. There are numerous optical illusions that play havoc with picking a line. Your eyes tell you one thing, but your feet tell you the opposite.

The course has a good selection of par 4's. The par 3's not so much. They were challenging, but on the shortish side. The par 5's were short, but they had enough trouble to provide decent risk reward.

Excellent morning ballstriking, with 8 fairways and 12 greens. Other than one hole, my misses off the tee were manageable. Three birdies sweetened the deal.

Overall a very nice round. I'll rank the courses after the trip, but I have no problem saying that the course is a must play if you're in San Francisco.

Off to see the original Presidio clubhouse, and then to Harding Park to see if I can snag an earlier tee time.

I was able to get an early afternoon tee time at Pebble Beach tomorrow, so my quest to play it as my 400th course looks like like it's going to be succeed. Yeah.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Great to hear that you had a really nice start to your NorCal Golf Adventure. I've always liked the Presidio with it's narrow fairways and uneven lies. You're absolutely right when you talk about reading the greens! Did you see any of these golf fan's during your round?

The weather is supposed to be nice for your entire trip which is pretty lucky, I'm playing Spanish Bay this Saturday and bringing 11 friends to play at the Duke's discounted rate.

Very nice that you were able to get a tee time at Pebble for tomorrow and for your 400th course! If you have sometime at PB check out the Golf Links To The Past store next to the putting green as the General Manager Kip has some fantastic golf memorabilia.

No, didn't see any golf fans out there. Lol. I'll try to check out the Golf Links store.

I just finished my afternoon round at TPC Harding Park. I'm sure most of you have seen the course on TV, as it has hosted several PGA events. The course is relatively flat and wide. It seems to play longer than the scorecard, probably due to it being at sea level. I was driving the ball great, but still hitting a lot of long clubs into the greens. The par 3's and 5's are tough. It doesn't have a lot of variety in the par 4's. The course was on nice shape. The greens were rather slow though. Pace of play was poor at 4:45.

I'm rather upset with the course not having water or restrooms on the course. For $170 there should at least be water fountains out there, if not coolers with bottled water. It's rather hot today, and staying hydrated on a course intended to be walked was very difficult. It didn't help that the cart girl didn't show up until the 17th teebox.

I had a great front 9, but I got dehydrated on the back, and struggled to the finish line. I hit 9 fairways and 9 greens, but didn't really have a lot of decent looks at birdie. In hindsight, I probably should have moved up a tee.

Overall I thought the course was rather bland, and frankly, overrated. Yes, it's a solid course in nice shape, but for $170 I was expecting much more. I believe the locals can play it for $70, which would make it a very nice course at that price. I'd say it's probably worth a visit, but one would have to find a discounted rate.

Off to Monterey.

I just finished my afternoon round at TPC Harding Park. I'm sure most of you have seen the course on TV, as it has hosted several PGA events. The course is relatively flat and wide. It seems to play longer than the scorecard, probably due to it being at sea level. I was driving the ball great, but still hitting a lot of long clubs into the greens. The par 3's and 5's are tough. It doesn't have a lot of variety in the par 4's. The course was on nice shape. The greens were rather slow though. Pace of play was poor at 4:45.

I'm rather upset with the course not having water or restrooms on the course. For $170 there should at least be water fountains out there, if not coolers with bottled water. It's rather hot today, and staying hydrated on a course intended to be walked was very difficult. It didn't help that the cart girl didn't show up until the 17th teebox.

I had a great front 9, but I got dehydrated on the back, and struggled to the finish line. I hit 9 fairways and 9 greens, but didn't really have a lot of decent looks at birdie. In hindsight, I probably should have moved up a tee.

Overall I thought the course was rather bland, and frankly, overrated. Yes, it's a solid course in nice shape, but for $170 I was expecting much more. I believe the locals can play it for $70, which would make it a very nice course at that price. I'd say it's probably worth a visit, but one would have to find a discounted rate.

Off to Monterey.

Thanks for the review. I am planning a trip out there and was planning on playing here but I'll save a hotel night and $170. Enjoy pebble!!!

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Off to Monterey.

Ha - well put. I lived in that area for a year and I always said I would take Presidio over Harding but everyone sees Harding on TV and HAS to play it. It's similar to all PGA Tour stops, long, bland and frankly overated. Good to hear that you got to play both. I think Presidio, while conditions aren't as good, is a strong course and gives Harding a run for it's money.

Spot on. I would take Presidio any day of the week over Harding. Sure, the conditioning is not quite the same, but the topology is wonderful, and let's face it, it's $65 cheaper.

I just arrived in Monterey. Boy, am I glad I skipped the 101, probably one of the most boring drives in California. I took I280/85/17/1. Gotta tell you, I don't recall a more fun drive recently. Highway 17 is a hoot, with switchbacks galore. Traffic heading north was bumper to bumper, but I had clear sailing all the way here. I wasn't planning a scenic drive on this trip, but I stumbled on one. Very nice scenery for a midwestern guy used to looking at corn fields.

I'm having a very tasty stout at Peter B's in Monterey. A few of them should take the edge off my poor back. I walked Harding, even though I was planning to ride. The cart path only thing was a turn off. I don't understand why the course is CPO. I'm glad I didn't take the 7 am tee time at Pebble tomorrow morning. I'm going to need the extra time to recoup. Cheers.

I also like the Presidio over Harding unless there's a tourney at Presidio then you're in for a long round.

The way that you drove to Monterey is nice although a lot of people don't know how to drive through the mountains and there are lots of accidents. Did you see the exit for Pasatiempo since you drove past it.

When you play Spyglass, it plays a lot longer then what's on the scorecard due to elevation changes and I think that you'll find it harder than Pebble.

If you grab something to eat at Sticks in Spanish Bay then try the fish taco's as they're really good!

I could not get my butt out of bed this morning. Walking Harding Park took its toll, but the extra sleep does seem to have recharged me. I took a nice drive to Pacific Grove along Ocean View Blvd, then on to Cypress Point along the scenic 17 Mile Drive. Great way to start the day. I'm currently having breakfast at the Stillwater Grill at Pebble Beach overlooking the 18th hole. Wow. Just wow. I won't try to describe it with words. The photos should do the trick.

I'll head to their range in a bit, then hit the practice green before teeing off. Lol. I don't recall the last time I arrived for a tee time 3 hours early. I generally arrive 10 minutes early.

I could not get my butt out of bed this morning. Walking Harding Park took its toll, but the extra sleep does seem to have recharged me. I took a nice drive to Pacific Grove along Ocean View Blvd, then on to Cypress Point along the scenic 17 Mile Drive. Great way to start the day. I'm currently having breakfast at the Stillwater Grill at Pebble Beach overlooking the 18th hole. Wow. Just wow. I won't try to describe it with words. The photos should do the trick.

I'll head to their range in a bit, then hit the practice green before teeing off. Lol. I don't recall the last time I arrived for a tee time 3 hours early. I generally arrive 10 minutes early.

Good stuff :)

It is cool to watch folks come up 18. Should have mentioned, you can just play the back 9 only at PG, which is a neat way to start the day - but sounds like you needed the extra time. Enjoy your round. 6-10 is as awesome a stretch of holes as you could want!!!

Whatever the people you are playing with do, don't hit driver on 8, that ravine will gobble up a good to average drive no prob.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

This sounds awesome, be sure and post pics! Play Pacific Grove too!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

It is a beautiful drive along the ocean in PG and also 17 mile drive. Stillwater's has great views of the 18th and ocean plus the food is pretty good. When it's a nice day we like to sit outside on the patio and eat, drink. Have a fun day playing PB!

No response from Argonne yet about his tee time. Been watching the first tee live cam and seen all kinds of possible "suspects" :wave:

From his avatar, I'm going to assume he's short (like me), that he's wearing shorts (looks like a really nice day there), and that he's either carrying his own bag or has a caddie. Oh, and I forgot. He obviously has a good swing based on his previous reports :taunt:

Best place to get a steak in the Monterey area?

The Tap Room does have really good steaks and no view. I like having lunch at The Tap Room sometimes with rib-eye chili or a Kobe burger with truffle fries and then topping off the lunch with the best chocolate sundae. We get the 1/2 order of chocolate sundae which isn't on the menu but it's still big enough for 3 people so you can imagine how big the regular order is.

I used to like the Whaling Station but had a bad experience so I won't go their anymore. I do like the steaks at the Sardine Factory and also Peppoli at Spanish Bay plus if you get a window table you'll have a great view of the ocean. Peppoli isn't cheap but I've had both the Tuscan T-Bone for two (grilled on live fire and craved at your table and also the Grilled Tomahawk rib-eye which were delicious imo.

Filet Mignon lasagna at Peppoli is great - I generally sit in the wine bar and order from the Peppoli menu

Lol. OK, I teed off at 12:20 pm, was wearing a dark blue polo, and I had a a caddie. He swapped my overstuffed Mizuno cart bag for a light stand bag, so I wasn't as easy to spot as usual. Sorry I didn't check the thread. Funny, but I was actually nervous on the first tee. I've played over 1000 rounds of golf, and yet I still had butterflies. No, I didn't hit driver on 8, but played it safe with a hybrid, and had over 200 to the hole. My caddie was fantastic today.

What a wonderful day celebrating my 400th course played. The weather was perfect, with plenty of sunshine, light winds, and temps in the upper 60's. I couldn't have dreamed of a better day for Pebble.

I'm not going to bore you with details about the course. You've likely seen it on TV a dozen times. It is a spectacular piece of property, with the 2nd half of the front nine really shining. The course is a tough but fair test. The greens have tricky reads, as ones eyes are trying to fool you.

The pace was slow as expected. They talk about 4:30, but it was 5:30. For the first time ever, I didn't care. This is where the caddie really earns his paycheck. We had great banter, and the jokes were flying. The running joke of the day was my mislabeled headcovers. My hybrids are off by one. My 7 wood has a 5 headcover. My mini driver carries a 3. My 9 iron has a 6 on it. Just kidding. The poor guy struggled all day with club selection, and it kept me loose. We joked that I should market a set of messed up headcovers for geeks. The highlight woukd be a "Pi" headcover. Anybody hit a 3.14 hybrid?

On top of that I took over 100 photos, which kept me distracted. The groups in front of us were slow, and the group behind us was a hole behind, so there was plenty of time to kill. Similar to my round at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, there's a fantastic view every few yards.

Decent day ballstriking, but I was out to enjoy the day. I managed a pair of birdies, and broke 80, so I was a happy camper. There's a reason it's called Pebble Beach. I found plenty of bunkers.

One highlight was my 2nd shot on the par 5 6th. I purposely hit my drive right so I could have a blind approach to the green beyond the great chasm. I hit a perfect wood right over the 100 yard stake, which lead to an easy 3rd and stress free par.

I was the only one in my group to find the green on the short par 3 7th. I don't recall a tougher lob wedge though.

The highlight of the day was the par 5 18th. It was playing into the wind, so there was really no chance of reaching it in two. I hit my drive right of the tree, but had plenty of room on the right side for my 2nd. A very nice fairway wood left me 135 to a center pin. The right front bunker was directly in my line, so leaving it short would be bad. I then proceeded to hit the ugliest thin 9 iron that was screaming for the face of the bunker. My heart dropped, and my caddie let out a quiet "Oh no". The crappy shot landed short of the bunker, and one hopped over it. Whew. The caddie laughed, and said he'd never seen a ball bounced over that bunker. We both expected the ball to be behind the green, given how hot it had come in. However, as we walked up we saw a ball 2 feet from the pin. Doubting that it was my ball, we walked up to confirm, and sure enough it was mine. Easy tap in birdie to finish the day. I believe it hit the flag stick, but however it got there I'll have a lasting memory.

Overall it was a much better experience than I was expecting. I think in my mind I was trying to downplay the round in case it didn't live up to the hype. Expect the worst, and you won't be disappointed. However, it turned out just fine. Better than fine. I think the key is to actually forget about the golf. You'll hit good shots. You'll hit bad shots. More important is the (possibly) once in a lifetime experience. You're on one of the grand stages in golf, and I soaked it up.

Enjoying a tasty Belgian strong ale sitting on the ground level patio overlooking the 18th green. The shadows are growing long, and the winds are calm. Bliss. I'll probably head to the Tap Room soon for another beer, and dinner. I hear the chilli is excellent, and the desserts just as good. I'm really glad I didn't try to squeeze two rounds into the day. Taking the time to enjoy the before and after activities really helped make the day special. Happy 400th.

Thanks for your wonderful post about playing Pebble and the great time that you had today golfing, taking pictures and having fun with your Caddie. Congrats on breaking 80 and your tap in birdie on 18!

You're having your ale at The Bench which also great views of #18.

Not everyone knows that 3.14 = Pi and I've never hit a 3.14 hybrid

Can't wait to see your pictures.

Prime rib chilli? Seriously? Awesome. The cornbread is fantastic. I was planning to have a Kobe burger, but then I'd have no room for the coconut cake dessert. The burger will have to wait until lunch tomorrow....along with the chocolate sundae.

Skimmed through the thread so not sure if this was said but some thoughts from a local:

Bayonet over PG. Beautiful, hard, pure course. Generally in terrific shape with humbling greens.

If you like Oysters wander into Carmel by the sea and go to AW Shucks. Little hole in the wall that is terrific.

Sounds like an amazing trip! Sadly I hear many stories like yours about Harding. It's an upscale Muni that can be in great shape when it's needed to be but that's about it. Length and rough makes it a tough test but many amateurs don't really fall in love the way they do with other tracks. Shoot me a PM with any questions or anything, always happy to help!

Prime rib chilli? Seriously? Awesome. The cornbread is fantastic. I was planning to have a Kobe burger, but then I'd have no room for the coconut cake dessert. The burger will have to wait until lunch tomorrow....along with the chocolate sundae.

The prime rib chili is really good and so is the coconut cake too. It kind of embarrassing but I've been going to Pebble for so long that I know two of the waiters by name at Stillwater's and the wife of one of them is one of the pastry chef's and the coconut cake is one of her desserts.

The Kobe burger is pretty big and very good, if you do have the chocolate sundae I would ask for the 1/2 order unless you think that you can eat an full order and then you can ask your wait person how big it is.