2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

San Francisco to Monterey Trip Report

Argonne69

I'm flying out Saturday for a 6 day dream golf vacation. At this point I'm booked to play TPC Harding Park and The Presidio on Sunday, The Links at Spanish Bay and Spyglass Hill on Tuesday, Poppy Hills on Wednesday, Pasatiempo and Half Moon Bay Ocean on Thursday, and Half Moon Bay Old on Friday. I'm hoping to get on to Pebble Beach on Monday, but I'm taking a calculated gamble that I can snag a tee time within the 24 hour window for non-resort players. 'Just not willing to shell out $975 for a room at the inn. At this point there appears to be several openings for singles. If not, Wednesday would be my Plan B. I might also play at Pacific Grove if I think my back can handle it.

This is pretty much a bucket list trip for me. If all goes as planned, Pebble Beach will be my 400th course played. If not, The Links at Spanish Bay is probably worthy of the spot. I'll post reviews throughout the week, and photos when I return. I hope I get some decent weather, but I'll be playing regardless. My bag always contains my rain gear.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Fantastic trip enjoy it

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

It's NCGA/Summer Special time at Pebble Beach Resorts - have you managed to use that to save a fair whack?

If you've not done it for Pebble yet, give them a ring, mention the summer special and it's $395 + $75 gift card.

Depending on how much play you can stomach - it'd be a shame to go down there and not play Bayonet. I'd put it after Pebble and Pasa and just a notch ahead of Poppy as my faves from your list.

Regardless what you get up to, you'll have a great time, Enjoy!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It's NCGA/Summer Special time at Pebble Beach Resorts - have you managed to use that to save a fair whack?

If you've not done it for Pebble yet, give them a ring, mention the summer special and it's $395 + $75 gift card.

Depending on how much play you can stomach - it'd be a shame to go down there and not play Bayonet. I'd put it after Pebble and Pasa and just a notch ahead of Poppy as my faves from your list.

Can you purchase these if you are out of state(Canada) to get a discount?

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

Yeah, good question. I have to give them a call to see if I can weasel myself a tee time before the official 24 hour window. I'll ask them about the discount.

I was told that a caddie request must be received 48 hours in advance, but how does that work when they won't give a tee time earlier than 24 hours in advance? They sure have a screwed up system. If I wind up getting on the course, but without a caddie, I'm going to be peeved.

I was planning to take an electric cart for Spanish Bay and Spyglass, and was told that it's cart path only. Any real reason to get a caddie for the two courses?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I walked on at pebble a few weeks ago without staying at the resort, as a single I'd think you'll get out without any problems. I absolutely loved it, worth every penny for sure!

As far as caddies and carts go both courses are cart path only. Caddies can be hit or miss, I didn't use one but the guys in my group did at both pebble and spyglass. The pebble caddy was an awesome guy who made the experience better, he did a bunch of stuff for me as well even though he wasn't assigned to me and I wound up tipping him, great guy. At spyglass one of the caddies was a good guy, also helped me out and I also tossed him a few bucks. The other guy was really weird, like 60 years old with a brain fried from years of dropping acid who kept on patting his player on the back and trying to pump him up like its game 7 of the NBA finals.

The caddy experience may not be what you want (depending on what you want out of it). They do double bag, and some of them will just stand in the middle of the fairway, you'll take the club out of the bag, and you go hit. It's kind of like having a person act as your golf cart. They'll read putts and that sort of stuff, rake traps, but the quality of your experience will depend on who you get.

My plan for pebble when I go back, because I was being a tourist and taking pictures, is to take a caddy, walk the course, and leave the camera/phone in the car so I can just enjoy being there and being in the moment. It's a spectacular place.

Yeah, good question. I have to give them a call to see if I can weasel myself a tee time before the official 24 hour window. I'll ask them about the discount.

I was told that a caddie request must be received 48 hours in advance, but how does that work when they won't give a tee time earlier than 24 hours in advance? They sure have a screwed up system. If I wind up getting on the course, but without a caddie, I'm going to be peeved.

I was planning to take an electric cart for Spanish Bay and Spyglass, and was told that it's cart path only. Any real reason to get a caddie for the two courses?

You could always purchase an NCGA e-club membership, good through the end of the year and only $25.

Download the app onto your phone and login. There's your NCGA membership card to show at checkin, if they even ask.

We used it for Spy/SB/Pebble and I cannot remember whether I ever actually showed it or not. But that legitimately gets you NCGA membership and you're not dodging any requirements to take advantage of the deal: https://ncga.org/join-new/

As far as the offer:

Caddies for Spy or SB? No, no need.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Heck the NCGA E member or out of state membership is worth it solely to play Poppy at NCGA rates. If they are running Pebble Spy and SB specials when you are there it is a no brainer.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

Thanks for the NGCA info! I just signed up for $25. Once I get my membership number, I'll give PB a call and hopefully they'll give me the discounted rate.

Are there any decent golf shops in the Monterey area? If I have an hour to kill, I could use some new grips on my driver and irons.

Heck the NCGA E member or out of state membership is worth it solely to play Poppy at NCGA rates. If they are running Pebble Spy and SB specials when you are there it is a no brainer.

Great point OPB! I'd forgotten that, as I took it for granted paying the NCGA rate.

Thanks for the NGCA info! I just signed up for $25. Once I get my membership number, I'll give PB a call and hopefully they'll give me the discounted rate.

Are there any decent golf shops in the Monterey area? If I have an hour to kill, I could use some new grips on my driver and irons.

There's a Golfmart in Seaside - a bit north of Monterey town itself, but there's nothing much around it, unless you go kick tires at the high-end car dealerships or need a shopping mall for supplies.

F.T.

Congratulations on your upcoming trip to my neck of the woods.You should be able to get a tee time at Pebble one week in advance and not 24 hrs when not staying on property. If you can, try to get Rocket or Casey Boyns for a caddie. Just because the NCGA is offering specials doesn't mean that you will be able to use them this late into the special as they only allowed so many tee times for the special. I'm a Dukes Club member and we get our email one day before the NCGA email and there were certain times and days where I couldn't use the special. You will definitely be able to use your NCGA card at Poppy to get your discount. If you want to buy Pebble Beach merchandise at a discount then go to the Pebble Beach outlet on Cannery Row. As mentioned Golfmart in Seaside would be able to re-grip your clubs. When driving through any of the gates into the Del Monte Forrest, tell the security guards that you're playing one of the courses and they will waive the $10.25 gate fee. Pebble Beach and Spyglass both have a range but Spanish Bay doesn't. By the way if I can ask what time are you playing Pasatiempo and Half Moon Bay?

I walked on at pebble a few weeks ago without staying at the resort, as a single I'd think you'll get out without any problems. I absolutely loved it, worth every penny for sure!

As far as caddies and carts go both courses are cart path only. Caddies can be hit or miss, I didn't use one but the guys in my group did at both pebble and spyglass. The pebble caddy was an awesome guy who made the experience better, he did a bunch of stuff for me as well even though he wasn't assigned to me and I wound up tipping him, great guy. At spyglass one of the caddies was a good guy, also helped me out and I also tossed him a few bucks. The other guy was really weird, like 60 years old with a brain fried from years of dropping acid who kept on patting his player on the back and trying to pump him up like its game 7 of the NBA finals.

The caddy experience may not be what you want (depending on what you want out of it). They do double bag, and some of them will just stand in the middle of the fairway, you'll take the club out of the bag, and you go hit. It's kind of like having a person act as your golf cart. They'll read putts and that sort of stuff, rake traps, but the quality of your experience will depend on who you get.

My plan for pebble when I go back, because I was being a tourist and taking pictures, is to take a caddy, walk the course, and leave the camera/phone in the car so I can just enjoy being there and being in the moment. It's a spectacular place.

Thrillhouse, by any chance was that 60 yo caddie named Rocket?

Great post.

I live about 7 hours away and have been considering jumping in the car and driving down for about the last year. I have a friend who lives on the peninsula so would have a place to stay and just need to pay greens fees and caddie. I've thought I would do it the second way you mentioned, no camera, no expectations, just a golf bag full of balls and a caddie.

Looking forward to the updates Argonne69!

Pasatiempo at 7:00 am on Thursday, and Half Moon Bay Ocean in the afternoon at 1:30 pm. I'll likely arrive at HMB early, and see if I can move it up.

I called PB a few days ago, and they wouldn't give me a tee time. I'll try again today.

Seems like a great trip! Hoping to have a huge golf trip to Monterey, Bandon, or Wisconsin. Flights to Bandon are just awful, so leaning towards the other two.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Pasatiempo at 7:00 am on Thursday, and Half Moon Bay Ocean in the afternoon at 1:30 pm. I'll likely arrive at HMB early, and see if I can move it up.

I called PB a few days ago, and they wouldn't give me a tee time. I'll try again today.

That's a shame. I think their specials slots go pretty quick for Pebble, but ya keep at it, something should open up even if it's on the day. That said, at least you've saved a fair whack at Poppy ;-)

I wouldn't think HMB would be that busy at all on a Thursday afternoon, but grabbing a drink and watching folks play 18 on the old can kill sometime, as they have no range just a dinky pitching green, so you cannot kill time the usual way.

F.T.

There is a basic range not too far away called Ocean View Driving Range where you can warm up. There are two ways that you can drive from Pasatiempo to Half Moon Bay one all the way on highway one along the coast and the other 17 north to 85 north to 280 north and then 92 into Half Moon Bay. It should take you approximately a little more than an hour either way unless 92 has traffic.

Seems like a great trip! Hoping to have a huge golf trip to Monterey, Bandon, or Wisconsin. Flights to Bandon are just awful, so leaning towards the other two.

Yeah, traveling to Bandon from east of the Mississippi is pretty much an all day affair. I flew into Portland, and drove down the Pacific Coast Highway. It was a long day, but at least the scenery was beautiful. Still worth it, though. Bandon is special.

There is a basic range not too far away called Ocean View Driving Range where you can warm up. There are two ways that you can drive from Pasatiempo to Half Moon Bay one all the way on highway one along the coast and the other 17 north to 85 north to 280 north and then 92 into Half Moon Bay. It should take you approximately a little more than an hour either way unless 92 has traffic.

Thanks again. When I'm playing two rounds a day I usually skip the morning warmup. I've gotten pretty good at stepping on the 1st tee at daybreak and getting the ball in play. I played 9 rounds in 5 days a few years back, starting with walking 18 at Erin Hills. This should be a cakewalk. Lol.

I'll probably drive up the coast. It is a vacation after all, and a little ocean scenery would be nice. I believe I have the first tee time of the day at Pasatiempo, so I should be able to finish in less than 2.5 hours.

Best place to get a steak in the Monterey area?

Couldn't say, but probably not if others are recommending him. FWIW the awesome guy at pebble the first day was about 55-60 as well lol.

The weather forecast for the week looks fantastic, with morning lows in the mid-50's, and daytime highs in the mid-60's. Shorts weather with a base layer and polo, and maybe a wind vest in the AM.

I called PB, and they were able to adjust my schedule to take advantage of the NCGA special at Spanish Bay and Spyglass Hill. My morning tee time at SB was fine, but my SH tee time was shifted back 40 minutes. 'No big deal, as there should be plenty of daylight. Thanks for the tip!

I was not able to lock in a tee time at PB on Monday, but they insisted that I should have no problem getting one when I call Sunday morning, as there are currently a dozen openings for singles. Fingers crossed. I likely won't get the NCGA discount at PB, as the slots are fully booked. If I'm lucky there will be a cancellation, but given that the special slots are non-refundable, I doubt it.

We had Rocket.

Gosh, I think it's been seven years since we played there.

Best place to get a steak in the Monterey area?

The Tap Room does have really good steaks and no view. I like having lunch at The Tap Room sometimes with rib-eye chili or a Kobe burger with truffle fries and then topping off the lunch with the best chocolate sundae. We get the 1/2 order of chocolate sundae which isn't on the menu but it's still big enough for 3 people so you can imagine how big the regular order is.

I used to like the Whaling Station but had a bad experience so I won't go their anymore. I do like the steaks at the Sardine Factory and also Peppoli at Spanish Bay plus if you get a window table you'll have a great view of the ocean. Peppoli isn't cheap but I've had both the Tuscan T-Bone for two (grilled on live fire and craved at your table and also the Grilled Tomahawk rib-eye which were delicious imo.