2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who hates Spieth after that must have a miserable life. Seriously dont envy that situation

I don't think people actually HATE him... Maybe dislike his slow play or other things, but hate is a strong word!

After reading this thread this morning, I'm not so sure about that. After all, at least one person got put in time out.

True. But he hates on everyone and everything.

unhinged JS hating tiger fans are hilarious. Seriously fellas, try to relax. Try Xanax maybe.

Too soon?

Not at all

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Thought a mention to Southgate... What an effort after what he's been through! Great story!

I'm not familiar. What's his story? Great tournament for him.

Had cancer 2 years ago and missed the open at St Andrews but in truth he didn't think he would play again. So he's battled over it and boy he loved that last putt. Love sport when stories like this happen

The comparisons with Tiger are expected, but the one that stands out to me is the 2016 Masters. On 11 on Sunday I said to myself...This is Tiger stuff. Then 12 happened. "They" collapsed. Tiger never did that.

As far as who was more talented.. Not even close. Hitting the ball higher and farther than his contemporaries, and doing it in victory, is a talent, and JS will never have that.

Aw, how cute is your TW worship! That's very special.

Tiger's collapse was off the course. Spieth does not look like he will do that.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

Not shitposting legitimately confused on this. If Speith's ball was in play why did he get to drop behind the hill it was not where he entered. Not sure on the rule, can someone explain?

He declared his ball to be unplayable. At that point he had 3 options and he chose the 3rd one listed below.

1. He could go back to the teebox and play what would have been his 3rd shot from there.

2. He could have dropped 2 club lengths from where his ball was and, with a one stroke penalty, played his 3rd shot.

3. He could keep the point where his ball lay between him and the hole and go back as far as he wanted and dropped it. Again, with a penalty of stroke, he would be playing his 3rd shot.

After choosing option 3, it got complicated as there were tour vans in his line of sight. Therefore he got to drop away from them, per the rules of golf, as they are considered "temporary immovable obstructions" commonly referred to as TIO's.

It was also further complicated by having mounds in the way that made it difficult to determine exactly where his drop should be in order to keep where his ball was between him and the hole.

Spieth knew exactly what he doing as would have most any other pro. He did absolutely nothing wrong nor was anything out line with the entire process including how long it took.

did the same thing in a medal yesterday. Ball in deep doo doo, still made a 5- difference was it wasnt the Open, there wasnt tour trucks in the way and there wasnt 60,000 people beside me- apart from that I also made a miraculous bogie........then NR'd at the last..........DOH!

I get tradition and everything, but not everything is sacred. I think the runner up trophy presentation could maybe go away.

"and introducing, 1st loser, Matt Kuchar."

Olympics take note - silver and bronze medals nothing more than participation trophies.

Sorry, just bustin' chops, but I do think 2nd in any major is worth recognition.

Nothing wrong with what Spieth did but the practice ground really should be OoB.

The R&A need to be a little smarter when setting up Carnoustie. Spieth openly admitted he was purposely aiming to miss the 13th fairway to the right. Other players were smacking it down 10 off the 9th tee until an internal OoB was added.

If Spieth gets free relief because of that cable cam, that would be the most ridiculous bullxxxx ever

I can't believe what I'm watching either...

Now the worst drop, BY FAR, was tiger's Firestone drop from the freaking roof..

Arnold Palmer's embedded drop on #12 in the 1958 Masters?

Bobby Jones water hazard ruling from George Herbert Walker (yes HIM) in the 1930 US Open?

I missed the fireworks. The savior of golf couldn't save himself it seems...great tournament. The Open usually delivers

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Nothing wrong with what Spieth did but the practice ground really should be OoB.

The R&A need to be a little smarter when setting up Carnoustie. Spieth openly admitted he was purposely aiming to miss the 13th fairway to the right. Other players were smacking it down 10 off the 9th tee until an internal OoB was added.

I think that's a fair comment. I realize that it's not OB for the members and they never envisioned anyone hitting it over there. But you would think organizers would mark the areas designated as parking for the equipment trucks as OB. It sure was wild to watch it play out!

The comparisons with Tiger are expected, but the one that stands out to me is the 2016 Masters. On 11 on Sunday I said to myself...This is Tiger stuff. Then 12 happened. "They" collapsed. Tiger never did that.

So, there is still a gap between the two unless Spieth does something extra special to overcome it.

As far as who was more talented.. Not even close. Hitting the ball higher and farther than his contemporaries, and doing it in victory, is a talent, and JS will never have that.

We shall have to wait and see if Tiger, if/when he returns, can be competitive without that. Being able to hit it higher and farther is something he won't be able to do anymore.

JS's ability to do as much with less is a talent that I think Tiger will never have, as great as he was.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Not shitposting legitimately confused on this. If Speith's ball was in play why did he get to drop behind the hill it was not where he entered. Not sure on the rule, can someone explain?

Penalty drop. Took it as far back as he could in line with the pin and then got line of sight relief. Good break to be able to have a nice lie but he certainly made the most of it.

Might have been different if Matt could have holed for a birdie giving a potential 3 stroke lead.

I am not keen on Jordan at all but only ever really seen Jack or Tiger will the ball into the hole like he did after that. An amazing finish.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Wouldn't mind seeing the open and us open playing like they used to with over par or just barely under par scores winning. Both courses played like munis this year.

8 under winner in 1948?

Exactly. I'd love to see some of these folk play from the tips on the open courses. See how it compares to their crappy munis.

He declared his ball to be unplayable. At that point he had 3 options and he chose the 3rd one listed below.

1. He could go back to the teebox and play what would have been his 3rd shot from there.

2. He could have dropped 2 club lengths from where his ball was and, with a one stroke penalty, played his 3rd shot.

3. He could keep the point where his ball lay between him and the hole and go back as far as he wanted and dropped it. Again, with a penalty of stroke, he would be playing his 3rd shot.

After choosing option 3, it got complicated as there were tour vans in his line of sight. Therefore he got to drop away from them, per the rules of golf, as they are considered "temporary immovable obstructions" commonly referred to as TIO's.

It was also further complicated by having mounds in the way that made it difficult to determine exactly where his drop should be in order to keep where his ball was between him and the hole.

Spieth knew exactly what he doing as would have most any other pro. He did absolutely nothing wrong nor was anything out line with the entire process including how long it took.

Is a player allowed to determine the ball unplayable and choose option 3 or does the rule official have to concur?

I mentioned this a while back, but it seems that this option is highly underused. Just think about all the times we see guys taking 110 mph swings and praying to move it 5 yards sideways and get into the fairway. With the typical parallel fairways in the US, there is probable a nice perfect lie on even ground somewhere within 50 yards backwards.

Is a player allowed to determine the ball unplayable and choose option 3 or does the rule official have to concur?

I mentioned this a while back, but it seems that this option is highly underused. Just think about all the times we see guys taking 110 mph swings and praying to move it 5 yards sideways and get into the fairway. With the typical parallel fairways in the US, there is probable a nice perfect lie on even ground somewhere within 50 yards backwards.

you can call unplayable at any time and take the penalty

You can determine that your ball is unplayable at any time and anywhere except in a hazard. No official needed.

There is no denying. Young Spieth has got that certain something. Putts on 15 and 16 under that pressure are rare. Granted 14 gave him momentum, but still superb.

I was there on Friday and you could see close up that he was in full control.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove