2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Favorite Scotty?

mattd1206

Newport Oil Can Japan spec. 350 gram carbon heads are holy grails. Will pick up a 009 when I can afford one.

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably one of the easiest questions I'll ever answer

Circa 62 No. 1

Titleist TSR3 Ventus TR Blue 6X
Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Mizuno MP20 HMB 18* HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Kyoei KK Black MB 4-PW KBS Tour 125 S+
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 50/9
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54/11
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 58/11
TaylorMade Tour Preferred Bandon 3
TaylorMade 2021 TP5X

Napa first run

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

I'm currently gaming a 1997 C.L.N. Prototype No. 2 which I absolutely adore. They come up once in a while on the BST and look much pricier than guys are generally asking for them. Anyone know the story behind these things? Can't seem to find much info at all on them online...

Not all that rare at 10,000 pieces made which is why they do not command the high prices, but beautiful looking and exceptional milling, especially in the cavity. Long neck made primarily for the Japanese market and the unusual finish is 'Black Star' which David Duval had Scotty use on his early Newports. This model also came in 2 limited Tiger Woods editions with a lot smaller production runs obviously. Yours though, is basically the production version of the Project X -SLC 1996 Tour prototype which has 'Scottydale' on the neck instead of Titleist. (The SLC stands for the name of his first daughter - Summer Lynne Cameron).

Congratulations, it's a great putter. :-)

Rob

Really wanting to grab a Scotty not even to game but just to ya know hoard lol. So what is your favorite Scotty? I love the Del Mar and the 2.5 anyone have something unique?

I have far more than I need but there is one which really stands out with respect to being unique as I have never seen another remotely like it as the cavity is very deep which creates a ping sound when putting. It is an older style, maybe Santa Fe or Newport-ish, welded flow neck, and hand-stamped "Cameron" on the face.

The face thickness varies from 1.25mm from the top to 2.35mm at the bottom. Incredibly light weight.

If I can figure out how to upload a picture, I will.

Really wanting to grab a Scotty not even to game but just to ya know hoard lol. So what is your favorite Scotty? I love the Del Mar and the 2.5 anyone have something unique?

I have far more than I need but there is one which really stands out with respect to being unique as I have never seen another remotely like it as the cavity is very deep which creates a ping sound when putting. It is an older style, maybe Santa Fe or Newport-ish, welded flow neck, and hand-stamped "Cameron" on the face.

The face thickness varies from 1.25mm from the top to 2.35mm at the bottom. Incredibly light weight.

Here they are. Hope someone knows anything about this.

that is a very cool looking putter, does it still have that softer feel with the different face?

that is a very cool looking putter, does it still have that softer feel with the different face?

I don't think it is as soft as other non-deep milled putters I have. The high pitched ping sound may have an influence on the perception of feel because it is so unlike any other Scotty putter I have. I must say though, it is very easy to get used to particularly with respect to speed control whereas on the heavier putters, I have had a tougher time.

Very nice tour stick there.

I have a Newport Buttonback that I customized with:

- a welded 1.5 style flare neck

- deep face milling

- topline and rear flange sightlines

- 370g headweight

- 75 degree toe hang

- 7 degree loft for my forward press

- all matte blasted raw finish

- black and copper paintfill

- matte black shaft at 36" playing length

- Gripmaster large Clubmaker Paddle leather grip

- 150g Optivibe in shaft halfway past the bottom end of grip

- 50g Tour Lock Pro in butt of grip

The putter literally swings itself, I just hold on. Very accurate and great distance control, solid feel.

Since I had the welding done for me, I can post a pic of the work in progress. Mine is the one in the bottom right hand pic. The other one is a pipe neck project.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

Only had a couple but I recently repurchased a Studio Select Newport 2 Midslant. Not a collector obviously but I putt as well with this as anything I've ever tried. Stupidly sold it a couple years ago and took me a while to find another in decent shape.

I'd like to collect a few but it seems odd to me have clubs hanging on the wall and not in the bag.

Ping G400 LST 10* Rogue Max 65G S
Ping G400 3 W 15*  Rogue Max 80G S

2023 Cobra King Tour 4-P $Taper 120 S
Odyssey Rossie II 35"

I'm currently gaming a 1997 C.L.N. Prototype No. 2 which I absolutely adore. They come up once in a while on the BST and look much pricier than guys are generally asking for them. Anyone know the story behind these things? Can't seem to find much info at all on them online...

Not all that rare at 10,000 pieces made which is why they do not command the high prices, but beautiful looking and exceptional milling, especially in the cavity. Long neck made primarily for the Japanese market and the unusual finish is 'Black Star' which David Duval had Scotty use on his early Newports. This model also came in 2 limited Tiger Woods editions with a lot smaller production runs obviously. Yours though, is basically the production version of the Project X -SLC 1996 Tour prototype which has 'Scottydale' on the neck instead of Titleist. (The SLC stands for the name of his first daughter - Summer Lynne Cameron).

Rob

Thanks for that, very interesting. Never heard of the "Black Star" finish, I always assumed it was some normal chrome finish. And you are right, the milling is totally amazing. Any idea what the "C.L.N." stands for?

Newport 2 Buttonback. My favorite and current gamer. I love the Masterful Superrat, but I can't afford / nor even obtain that / hit one to know. Just love the look. I assume its softer than the buttonback.

Drool....That milling....

WOW WOW WOW. honestly probably the best looking putter i have EVER seen just amazing lines wow

Rob

Thanks for that, very interesting. Never heard of the "Black Star" finish, I always assumed it was some normal chrome finish. And you are right, the milling is totally amazing. Any idea what the "C.L.N." stands for?

Cameron Long Neck :-)

Rob