2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Weight on your toes will prevent you from turning. I promise...

Albatross85

Wish i had figured this out sooner but i've been playing some of the best golf of my life recently and thought i would share this tip.

If i get too "athletic" feeling at address and don't pay attention my own habit is to get the weight out on my toes. This 100% of the time will not allow me to turn and i stall/flip and have to catch up with my hands. This equals hooks and poor contact. I am able to scrape it around on pure hand eye coordination but i will always have a blow up hole when i fall into this trap.

My checkpoints now:

1. Weight on balls of feet. I actually lift my toes in my shoes to verify before i swing.

2. Pressure 70/30 towards front foot at address

This will get me turning into my left heel on my downswing without thinking about it and i never stall. If i make a bad swing its almost always a setup problem or my shoulders not staying closed long enough in transition.

I hope this helps someone who doesn't even realize they do this.

• Like 3
  • AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 6.5
  • TM SIM Ti 17.5* - Tensei AV White 2.0 75TX
  • TM Stealth 2+ 20* 6 wood Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8S
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

70/30 on full shots? That's a lot

Just at address. And note this is pressure, no idea what it really is but this is my feel. Feel isn't real but 50/50 doesn't work for me and every data point you can find on pro golfers show they favor the front foot at address by a decent margin.
  • Tour B XS

Interesting this idea of more pressure out on your front foot. Would think that you would want to try and get it behind the ball. I have also seen similar things if I get too much on my toes.

The pressure shifts to back foot on backswing and then back to front foot in transiton/downswing. Its just at address. To me its harder to get weight shifted to into my back foot if im not pressing off my front foot to get there. Hope that make sense.
  • Like 1
  • Tour B XS

Interesting I know I am on my toes on all my shots besides chips. Just can't get comfortable staying on my heals or balls if the feet.

So your check point is just before you swing you lift your toes up to make sure your are setup right?

Yes. I definitely dont wanna be on my heels. Balls of the feet is what im feeling. If my toes are gripping the ground i'm dead.
  • Tour B XS

Interesting this idea of more pressure out on your front foot. Would think that you would want to try and get it behind the ball. I have also seen similar things if I get too much on my toes.

More pressure on the front foot may help explain why the flamingo drill works so well - . ensuring the pivot/turn is more central ?

Interesting I know I am on my toes on all my shots besides chips. Just can't get comfortable staying on my heals or balls if the feet.

So your check point is just before you swing you lift your toes up to make sure your are setup right?

Sam Snead used to do this

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Great post.

Like the OP, I prefer the exaggerated feel of "over-pressuring" the front leg before starting my swing (the 70/30 thing).

I try to feel like my left leg is in position to perform a squat (completely vertical force) as opposed to diagonally like a shortstop in baseball (where this force has both vertical and horizontal components).

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I also find that low drop or zero drop shoes help with this.

• Like 2
  • Tour B XS

in an ironic twist i was stalling like crazy on Wed, was stumped as the previous weekend in Club C I hit it super solid (14 fairways day 2)

Fixed my posture and last night was "pure city"

Will try the left leg feel tonight

Cally AIS TD Max 11.5* Ventus Black TR 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 17* Ventus Black 5x 

Callaway ‘16 GBB 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

in an ironic twist i was stalling like crazy on Wed, was stumped as the previous weekend in Club C I hit it super solid (14 fairways day 2)

Fixed my posture and last night was "pure city"

Will try the left leg feel tonight

pressure not weight. Can't emphasize that enough. Hope it helps!
  • Tour B XS

I do this at times . I tend to put weight more on heels which causes severe pulls. (close to being flat footed. )

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5

4W Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8

8,9 Eleven 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 6&GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Ping Sigma G Ketsch B

Wish i had figured this out sooner but i've been playing some of the best golf of my life recently and thought i would share this tip.

If i get too "athletic" feeling at address and don't pay attention my own habit is to get the weight out on my toes. This 100% of the time will not allow me to turn and i stall/flip and have to catch up with my hands. This equals hooks and poor contact. I am able to scrape it around on pure hand eye coordination but i will always have a blow up hole when i fall into this trap.

My checkpoints now:

1. Weight on balls of feet. I actually lift my toes in my shoes to verify before i swing.

This will get me turning into my left heel on my downswing without thinking about it and i never stall. If i make a bad swing its almost always a setup problem or my shoulders not staying closed long enough in transition.

Albatross85, Thanks, for mentioning this. For me, getting on my toes at address feels powerful. But, it is hard to turn. I prefer the weight to be in the arches. A good way of finding what's right for you. Put your left hand on a chair for support, play around with the weight distribution, turn and find the happy medium for a good turn. It's interesting, no tip will solve a problem, if the basic turn is not there. Tanner

• Like 1

The pressure shifts to back foot on backswing and then back to front foot in transiton/downswing. Its just at address. To me its harder to get weight shifted to into my back foot if im not pressing off my front foot to get there. Hope that make sense.

kinda like Sam Sneads foward press.........his little motion to the front foot..........what gets in motion stays in motion: front foot to back foot---back to front food once started........

My checkpoints now:

Thank you for this thread. I did this when my swing went into implosion mode and it kept me on the rails. Funny that I was never perceptive enough to use it in a "normal" round.

When you say pressure in the lead leg, would a similar feel be to feel almost like you are prepping to disengage the safety on a leg press machine? You're Not locking out but applying enough pressure to move the weights a few inches so you can start the exercise. That feeling but in one leg?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

My checkpoints now:

Thank you for this thread. I did this when my swing went into implosion mode and it kept me on the rails. Funny that I was never perceptive enough to use it in a "normal" round.

When you say pressure in the lead leg, would a similar feel be to feel almost like you are prepping to disengage the safety on a leg press machine? You're Not locking out but applying enough pressure to move the weights a few inches so you can start the exercise. That feeling but in one leg?

To me, it feels like weight is centered (mass of body) but using your foot/leg muscle to put pressure on front foot. Like lightly pressing a clutch. Engage the muscles in the foot and thigh and then push off it.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

i'm going to have to try 70/30 on the front...

i just recently changed from 50/50 to 30/70 on the back, after reading about Rahm's swing in the latest issue of golf magazine. His argument for it was that it allows him to rotate without adding sway into his swing, and sway is a huge issue for me, and sure enough i'm able to put more power and control into my swing and get rid of the sway.

i'll have to see what 70/30 on the front does for me.

I wonder if, like me, you get the club too inside going back, therefore if you put weight further back into your heels, you'll lose balance?

If you want to dig into this a little more I highly recommend the On The Mark podcast episode with Jake Thurm (August 25th), Jake is an expert in BodiTrack and he goes into a ton of detail around pressure and force. The major takeaway was if you don't get the pressures right (for example way out on the toes) then it's impossible to do some of the other things (shallow the club coming down).

The punchline is you should start with your weight in left heel+right toe, invert it in the backswing to your left toe/right heel, then left arm parallel on the way down most of the weight in your left heel. The more you move into the left heel, the harder it'll be to hook it.

My checkpoints now:

I'm not sure i can help you on this feel. It doesn't translate well over the internet. Pressing into the ground a little harder with the ball of your left foot is my best way to describe it. Not shifting body mass or moving my setup positions to accomplish this. Just being very aware of where my pressures are and making sure im favoring my front side while keeping off my heels/toes.
  • Tour B XS

My checkpoints now:

I'm not sure i can help you on this feel. It doesn't translate well over the internet. Pressing into the ground a little harder with the ball of your left foot is my best way to describe it. Not shifting body mass or moving my setup positions to accomplish this. Just being very aware of where my pressures are and making sure im favoring my front side while keeping off my heels/toes.

when you say "balls of your feet", do you mean all 5 of them? Or just the biggest ball related to your big toe. I think you mean all of them but just want to clarify.

My checkpoints now:

when you say "balls of your feet", do you mean all 5 of them? Or just the biggest ball related to your big toe. I think you mean all of them but just want to clarify.

I have no idea what you mean. You only have one "ball of your foot". 1/2 way between the arch and the toes. Google it
  • Tour B XS

Yes. I definitely dont wanna be on my heels. Balls of the feet is what im feeling. If my toes are gripping the ground i'm dead.

This has me intrigued because the “toes gripping the ground” feeling is what I feel on almost all full shots.

I feel some range time coming on this weekend!!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

I read this last night and then got the opportunity to play today. I was able to get some very solid drives and approach shots. I will need to practice some more but definitely a helpful tip for me. Thanks!

Driver: Titleist TSR2 w/Tour AD-VR

Fairways: Callaway Ai Smoke 3HL; Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Titleist SM9 54⁰ and 58⁰

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour 

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I do this at times . I tend to put weight more on heels which causes severe pulls. (close to being flat footed. )

And on contrary, too much on toes and I'm hitting a bit fat

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

• 5 years later...

I’m glad this works for you , but on average weight on the balls of the feet is BS. With the weight on the balls of the feet most amateurs will fall forward . You cannot effectively lift your toes correctly with the weight there. The weight should be just behind the balls of your feet, in the middle right at the arches, with the weight there, now try lifting your toes, much easier and much more balanced. I stopped giving my money away to instructors who teach this fallacy when they don’t even do it themselves . 

• 7 months later...
On 9/14/2017 at 10:55 AM, Albatross85 said:
On 9/14/2017 at 2:53 PM, Cwebb said:

70/30 on full shots? That's a lot

Just at address. And note this is pressure, no idea what it really is but this is my feel. Feel isn't real but 50/50 doesn't work for me and every data point you can find on pro golfers show they favor the front foot at address by a decent margin.noticed in your signature that you are a smart guy...your 3,5&7 woods are slightly different Taylormades bit you have basically the same shaft in all 3--your irons, pw,gw and sw are different bit have the same shaft..perhaps that has helped get u that low handicap