• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

What shaft do you recommend if half my driver tee shots are Andre Agassi backhand winners veering low and left with a bunch of topspin

Technology is in the head.

Shafts just deliver it

For an alternate opinion, let's ask a person who sells shafts for a living.

giphy.gif

Crazy thing is I sell both...

Wrong shaft but right head improved what go time has been working on to try to achieve with tons of golf/range sessions.

Threw him in a better suited shaft.. instant improvement

But you are involved in this conversation

CITY IS RIGHT.. just easier that way

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

What shaft do you recommend if half my driver tee shots are Andre Agassi backhand winners veering low and left with a bunch of topspin

Shafts just deliver it

giphy.gif

Wrong shaft but right head improved what go time has been working on to try to achieve with tons of golf/range sessions.

I aint' even trying to be right.

I'm not saying it's the shaft.

I'm not saying it's the head.

I AM saying that claiming "all the tech is in the head, not the shaft" is expressing an opinion that many people will disagree with. Go write that in the equipment forum and see what kind of response you get.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I've got to say, it's sort of shocking that being allowed to putt with the pin in actually made it into the official rules changes.

I know we beat to death whether it's easier to make putts with it in or out, but what are you all going to do when the rule actually goes in effect?

I'm sure I could get used to it, but hitting short putts with the pin in is very awkward for me visually. It'll take some tinkering, but I think I'll eventually get to the point where I'll prefer to putt with it in all the time.

I've got to say, it's sort of shocking that being allowed to putt with the pin in actually made it into the official rules changes.

I know we beat to death whether it's easier to make putts with it in or out, but what are you all going to do when the rule actually goes in effect?

I'm sure I could get used to it, but hitting short putts with the pin in is very awkward for me visually. It'll take some tinkering, but I think I'll eventually get to the point where I'll prefer to putt with it in all the time.

Its shocking to me but not even half as much as the allowed changes to the OB rule.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I bet 4 sleeves of balls that I can beat anybody in this thread straight up!

To prove it let’s play a match this Friday at 7:30 at Cedar Point Golf Course! Planes flying over head, surrounded by nature!

If there are no takers I am just going to assume everyone is intimidated.

(Cockiness and offer becomes null and void as of July 14)

Desperate times call for desperate measures

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

I IMAGINE that most people in most rounds are going to go with whatever is easiest/least time consuming.

Here's a best case scenario : You just hit a chip to 8 feet and now are walking your bag around the green to get ready for next hole. I'm walking onto the green and have a 20 footer. I mark, clean, put the ball down, and putt it. 1 foot left. I tap it in with the flag in. Ask you, "you want it in?" "no". I pull it.

Here's a worse case scenario : A has 20 feet. He asks B to take it out. B takes it out, lays it down. A putts to 3 feet. Marks. B wants the stick back in. A puts the stick back in. B putts to 2 feet. A wants it out for his 3 footer. He takes it out, lays it down. Makes. B wants it back in for his two footer. A has to put it back in.

I would HOPE that only for high-leverage situations where putts are in the maybe/maybe-not range are we going to see Flagstick Roulette.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Shafts just deliver it

giphy.gif

I AM saying that claiming "all the tech is in the head, not the shaft" is expressing an opinion that many people will disagree with. Go write that in the equipment forum and see what kind of response you get.

But good thing we all have opinions and are open express them

WRX are full of them.

It is a combo deal but plenty of studies out there that show it as well.

protos F4

I'm not a bucket guy, but I'm interested in trying the same style hat as the Fishers Island hat Joel Dahmen has been wearing recently.

It's like a mix between a boonie, and a bucket.

I recently looked into finding a more well designed bucket/boonie hat....what I found was Shelta hats. Check them out: https://www.sheltahats.com/ they may not be as rigid brimmed as the one you depicted, though.

I did notice that in the half dozen or so rounds I've played with Sully this year - or Fabb - I've never seen either one wear sunglasses even on 98* bright sunny days.

When I was younger I wore sunglasses and no hat. Switched in part due to "golf fashion", I think.

Every time I'm outside, I should wear sunglasses for the same reason I wear sunscreen. I have light eyes that are predisposed to damage.

I just haven't found anything that works well for both style and form and also fits under a hat/visor.

Though I did just find these:

ee6iuIo.png

Its shocking to me but not even half as much as the allowed changes to the OB rule.

I've never been a fan of "OB should just be lateral", but I'm sort of down with the new rule. You get that sorta weird drop, but it's a TWO STROKE penalty as it should be. It seems like an equitable way to do it that will make a player think, "do I want to take that drop, or take the risk of hitting another from the tee." I think that's going to be a legit question for people under the new rule.

What's interesting about it is that it's really the first time I know of that is a rule bifurcation. The new rule says it's not for professional or high-level amateur competition.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

It's an expression so people don't get caught up in chasing shafts all over the place. That can be boiled down. I've been to enough demo days and seen the fitters work that if the clubhead feels good to you, looks good to you, and is flying in acceptable way, there IS a shaft that will work. Of course the swing is another variable.

But let's for a second look at what occured with Go Time. Increased clubhead speed and increased distance. That wasn't a fluke. And that wasn't done on his own. It was by a fitter. Tex. Let's at least let him do his thing...with results.

What's interesting about it is that it's really the first time I know of that is a rule bifurcation. The new rule says it's not for professional or high-level amateur competition.

The more problematic thing - I think - is that its a proposed local rule. If Turf decides against it but MV decides to adopt it - now we are essentially playing under two very different rule sets. Seems pretty odd to me, I thought for sure this was one of the major rules changes they were undertaking but really its just "optional".

Its also not clear when they say its not intended for "higher levels of play, such as professional or elite amateur level competitions". To me "elite" means USGA level type stuff. But its definitely unclear.

I despise the USGA but I have a hard time disagreeing with any of the changes.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I literally had no idea what Fisher's Island was.

I had to look it up. No clue. I also just had to look up where Martha's Vineyard was after it made the news because Dershowitz thought he was being shunned from there. And with the US Open I had to look up where the Hamptons are.

Every local area has that spot where the wealthy people vacation, and most people from outside don't really know much about them. Massachusetts has Marthas Vineyard and parts of Cape Code. NY has the Hamptons (and Fishers Island apparently). Michigan has Macinac Island or others. Maine has...Kennebunkport maybe? I don't know what the equivalent is here in the DC area. It's not Dewey or Ocean City.

The more problematic thing - I think - is that its a proposed local rule. If Turf decides against it but MV decides to adopt it - now we are essentially playing under two very different rule sets. Seems pretty odd to me, I thought for sure this was one of the major rules changes they were undertaking but really its just "optional".

Its also not clear when they say its not intended for "higher levels of play, such as professional or elite amateur level competitions". To me "elite" means USGA level type stuff. But its definitely unclear.

I despise the USGA but I have a hard time disagreeing with any of the changes.

To me it just takes the "you MUST rehit if you hit the power line" local rule, or "drop zone across pond" local rule to the next level, expanding it. Not all courses have power lines, or ponds that "need" a crop zone across the water.

We have Gibson Island

protos F4

I'm not a bucket guy, but I'm interested in trying the same style hat as the Fishers Island hat Joel Dahmen has been wearing recently.

It's like a mix between a boonie, and a bucket.

I recently looked into finding a more well designed bucket/boonie hat....what I found was Shelta hats. Check them out: https://www.sheltahats.com/ they may not be as rigid brimmed as the one you depicted, though.

SHADE MULLETS!!

https://www.sheltahats.com/collections/shade-mullet

I literally had no idea what Fisher's Island was.

I had to look it up. No clue. I also just had to look up where Martha's Vineyard was after it made the news because Dershowitz thought he was being shunned from there. And with the US Open I had to look up where the Hamptons are.

Every local area has that spot where the wealthy people vacation, and most people from outside don't really know much about them. Massachusetts has Marthas Vineyard and parts of Cape Code. NY has the Hamptons (and Fishers Island apparently). Michigan has Macinac Island or others. Maine has...Kennebunkport maybe? I don't know what the equivalent is here in the DC area. It's not Dewey or Ocean City.

Maine is already Vacationland. Rich people from Massachussetts go to Maine to vacation, or they go to Marthas. Kennebunkport is kind of a rich getaway. Boothbay harbor and Old Orchard beach are sort of the Ocean City and Virginia Beach of Maine. Bar Harbor (Acadia) has plenty of ritzy stuff around it, but is mainly for people going to visit the park, eat lobster, etc.

Wife is doing a show this weekend in St. Joseph's Michigan. Apparently it is (one place) where rich Chicagoans go to get away on the weekend. I was going to go with her and play golf and paddle, but I am not now.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Caves Valley.

Caves has the "celebrity" appeal for sure, but in my opinion BCC is more of the old money/Fisher's Island type for the area.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

BCC is so pure...

protos F4

We have Gibson Island

Back in 2001 when I got laid off, I was working under the table as a landscaper and we did a small job on Gibson Island. It's basically the only way to get on it unless you live there. It's pretty nuts.

We paddle on the Magothy. Put in at Beachwood. Ridiculously nice houses along there. Tons of osprey nests. Like pairs of birds every couple hundred yards in nests.

There was a small house for sale on the river once and we thought about buying it for a bit. My commute would have been problematic.

If you're ever down there, occasionally we eat the The Point. It's a huge outdoor (under cover) bar and grill. The other day we tried going. We turned off Rt 2 behind 5 other cars that drove in by the college and all those neighborhoods. It's a few more miles to the restaurant from there. ALL FIVE CARS in front of us were going to the restaurant. Not one of them turned off. We got to the place, and there was a mob outside waiting for tables, and the parking lot was full. We didn't even park and ask. Gotta be there at off hours, or off days, or be prepared for a huge hassle.

Some day we're going to try paddling the whole way and back, but it's a haul and it gets choppy when the water starts opening up. Faster boats and more wind.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

We have Gibson Island

I think that qualifies. Ive been here 10+ years and never heard of it, which I think gets at the point as well. These fancy spots are all over, and you just never hear about most of them unless you live somewhat close.

I've lived here 22 years and have never heard of half the places that you guys mention that are East of Baltimore.

Cedar Point might as well be an amusement park in Ohio for all I know.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*