2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

Went to the range the other day, took a swing vid.

One of these pics is my impact position, the other is McIlroy's. They're so similar that I bet you can't tell who is who.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

Re: A Course called Scotland.

I'm only through half the book, but if it doesn't get you excited to play Scotland then nothing will. Just a fabulous read, with sly little comic moments throughout the book. At one point at Murcar? he is paired with an American golf group from California, who cannot hide their disappointment that they are not paired with a Scotsman. Their group leader attempts to have him moved,but to no avail. He proceeds to beat them all by quite a few strokes.

He plays Crail, and is also paired with two Americans. They tell him they just joined as it was only a few dollars more than their daily fee. Check this out:

Overseas membership

Overseas membership can be on an annual basis. Alternatively there is the option of Overseas Life membership; for more information on this click here or contact the Membership Secretary .

In this case, the benefits of becoming a member of the 7th oldest golf club in the world are:

• access to both courses for up to sixteen rounds per annum (eight on each course)
  • four member's guest tickets on each course per annum at the guest rate of £16.00 per round
  • ability to book tee times up to a year in advance
  • access to members' priority times
  • members' guest fees at Scotscraig, Ladybank, Lundin Links and Royal Tenerife
  • half price green fees at Dunblane, Forfar, Alyth and Kilmarnock Barassie
  • golf on the 3 courses at Blairgowrie free of charge (guests £40.00)
  • courtesy golf at Barwon Heads Golf Club (Australia) and Golf De Saint-Cloud (France_
  • 10% members' discount in the Clubhouse and Pro Shop

Overseas applications should be supported by a reference from the applicants home club.

Overseas members may also become Full Adult members as above.

What is the price of this you ask?:

Overseas £167.00 £131.00 £50.00 £13.50 £11.25

Available to those 18 years of age and over on 1 January who ordinary and currently reside outside of the United Kingdom

So for the current exchange rate of $221.21- you can become a member of Crail. Kinda cool.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

True on the recap, Fabb. Fractional strokes here and there and very few "make up fractions".

That's nice impact position, Siegel. Very nice position. Keep hitting those positions. How are your other positions?

When I'm done my Audio book of "A Course Called Scotland", I believe there is an option to send it to people. Those people can listen for free, but they have to sign up for an Audible account, I think. But you'll have the ability to cancel the Audible account before you have to pay for a month.

SO. . .if anyone is interested in listening to it, let me know. I'll send a reminder when I'm done and have the option of sharing.

The reader is good. Many times he's called into service to put on a Scottish accent and he's very good at it. He did call a Hosel Rocket a "hose el rocket" but compared to the reader of the Tiger Woods book, he's Tiger Freakin' Woods.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

In that book, he talks about Bacon Rolls. Sometimes you pay a greens fee and you get a bacon roll at the turn.

You know what a bacon roll is?

A roll with bacon on it.

bacon.jpg.jpg

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Just moved to Baltimore, MD. Recently I have been joining up with other groups. I use GolfNow to find the best rates and play. No clue about the public courses in Baltimore but I have played Bowie Golf Club, Walden CC, and Timbers at Troy. Always looking to play with other people. So far I am enjoying the style of courses here.

hello, and welcome. lots of guys in the thread are based in or near b'more. lots of tee times get posted in the thread, so if interested in meeting up, keep an eye out.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Who y'all got in the World Cup?

Since I have ancestral and familial ties, I'm going with France today. They're pretty excited over there.

I guess out of England and Croatia, I'll go with England. I'm sort of a sucker for those "It's Coming Home" videos.

Not sure after that. I'd probably have to go with France. I kind of enjoy how much a certain type of American hates France. But, England is sort of long-suffering and I have a pretty good English friend. In reality, I guess I don't care. I'd like either of them. But, I feel like Belgium/Croatia would just be a little anti-climatic. I guess I'm a Big Country snob.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Who y'all got in the World Cup?

Since I have ancestral and familial ties, I'm going with France today. They're pretty excited over there.

I guess out of England and Croatia, I'll go with England. I'm sort of a sucker for those "It's Coming Home" videos.

Not sure after that. I'd probably have to go with France. I kind of enjoy how much a certain type of American hates France. But, England is sort of long-suffering and I have a pretty good English friend. In reality, I guess I don't care. I'd like either of them. But, I feel like Belgium/Croatia would just be a little anti-climatic. I guess I'm a Big Country snob.

I'm rooting for England. Many of my soccer friends are Arsenal fans so I've adopted Tottenham just to be an antagonist. Harry Kane is my dude. Hope they bring it home.

I have a feeling the winner of Belgium v France is going to take the final though.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Anybody watch that Carnoustie/Van de Velde show last night on Golf Channel? I really enjoyed it. There was a cheesy bit they had with a bartender and a patron discussing the event at a bar, like the documentary was being shown there. That part was lame. But between interviewing JVDV, his caddie, Mike Tirico, and others - it was a really good watch. I still remember watching it like it was yesterday. Curtis Strange was just beside himself that afternoon.

Call it a choke or whatever, but man did he get the worst break in the world when his ball hit the stands, bounced off the rocks in the burn, and then goes deep into the thick hay. If that ball goes into the stands, he wins. If it deflects forwards or sideways, he wins. If it deflects back into the burn, he wins. But no, it hit the one spot on the stands it couldn't hit, then off rocks, and ended up F'ing him out of the title. Fantastic drama back then and even reliving it today. It almost seems like his caddie never recovered and received wayyyyy too much of the blame. JVDV went 4-3-3 the previous 3 days on that hole, so I don't have an issue with him playing it the same as the previous days.

Also, just looking back at the highlights...man did Van de Velde make every single putt that week from every distance. But that 8 footer for triple on the 72nd hole to get into the playoff has to be one of the most clutch putts ever made, considering the circumstances.

It's amusing how much less coverage there has been of the world cup in mainstream news and sports media outlets this year, with the US team not making it.

Speaking of sports, suffering, and the French - did anybody watch the "going down swinging" or whatever it was called special on golf channel? It was about the 1999 Open at Carnoustie. They probably could've done it in 30 minutes, but it was still a decent watch. Even if you're intimately familiar with how it played out, you got to hear insights from Jean van de Velde, his caddie, and sportscasters that covered it. It might've been worth it just to listen to Peter Alliss' tidbits.

It happened before I picked up the game, and even all these years later, I had never actually seen the way the entire saga played out. Bizarre doesn't even begin to describe it.

You can make all the "you shouldn't be hitting it way over there" comments you want, but the grandstands played a way larger part in the outcome of that tournament than should ever occur. His approach doinking off the grandstands back into the burn was incredible. There's no perfect solution, but it almost makes you wonder if there should be a rule that any ball striking or entering the grandstands should be replaced within a club length of the nearest point of relief from where the ball struck or crossed into the grandstands.

EDIT :

CJ

giphy.gif

Just moved to Baltimore, MD. Recently I have been joining up with other groups. I use GolfNow to find the best rates and play. No clue about the public courses in Baltimore but I have played Bowie Golf Club, Walden CC, and Timbers at Troy. Always looking to play with other people. So far I am enjoying the style of courses here.

In Baltimore, the public courses are run by the Baltimore Municipal Golf Corporation. Clifton Park and Forest Park are the cheapest, and worst. They're both still playable. They get plenty of attention and the greens, fairways, bunkers and boxes are always in great condition.

For a better/bigger experience, head out to Pine Ridge or Mt Pleasant. As a single, you can leave your name with the starter and see who you get paired with. Get the players card at the first opportunity if you're going to play any golf at all. It's like $20 and you get $5 or $7 off every round.

Plenty more Public Golf golf in the county, a bit pricier and a bit nicer.

Check here for people looking for games.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Guy I played Kingsbarns with is/was a member at Crail. Would play it once, Kingsbarns repeatedly, and shoot for the Old here and there. He was also a member at Firestone, so the $220 wasn't a big deal to him...but not a bad club list for membership. You know, if you're insecure about what people think.

That was my exact thought. Joining a golf course in Scotland (and paying more than you would to just play a round of golf) so you can tell people you belong to a golf course in Scotland.....you know the rest.

It's amusing how much less coverage there has been of the world cup in mainstream news and sports media outlets this year, with the US team not making it.

I've actually heard more things to the effect of, "it's surprising how much I've heard about the World Cup, especially considering the US isn't in it."

Maybe it's just our worlds. I have an Argentine and an Englishman on my block. Couple of Belgian guys at work. But, a few guys at the golf course are talking about it. Of course these are the guys I "tend toward" so they're going to have a different bent than your run-of-the-mill golfers.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

belgium has consistently looked the best throughout the WC. i'm rooting for lukaku and debruyne and hazard. simply fantastic players at the height of their powers. exciting to watch their counterattack. awesome skill set. i hope they get past france (as much as i like france). the brazil/belgium game was so epic after brazil went down 2... the constant pressure by brazil was just ridiculous.

england in a walk tomorrow.

sidenote: this thread page is confusing AF

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

In Baltimore, the public courses are run by the Baltimore Municipal Golf Corporation. Clifton Park and Forest Park are the cheapest, and worst. They're both still playable. They get plenty of attention and the greens, fairways, bunkers and boxes are always in great condition.

For a better/bigger experience, head out to Pine Ridge or Mt Pleasant. As a single, you can leave your name with the starter and see who you get paired with. Get the players card at the first opportunity if you're going to play any golf at all. It's like $20 and you get $5 or $7 off every round.

Plenty more Public Golf golf in the county, a bit pricier and a bit nicer.

Check here for people looking for games.

Will do. I will pick the player's card up and see if I can get some rounds in with other GolfWRXers.

Titleist 917 D3 8.5 Degree 

Tour Edge 3 Wood 15 Degree

Titleist T-MB 2-Iron

735 CM 4-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 

One of the best things was Lawrie fist pumping his sandy on 18 to finish at +6. I believe he said he thought that would get him into the Masters and he was pumped about that.

He won $350k for 1st. Justin Leonard and Van de Velde got $185k each for 2nd.

I had totally forgotten Craig Parry was in that final pairing. He finished T4 with a relatively unknown at the time - Angel Cabrera. Cabrera's first worldwide win didn't happen until 2001.

In that book, he talks about Bacon Rolls. Sometimes you pay a greens fee and you get a bacon roll at the turn.

You know what a bacon roll is?

A roll with bacon on it.

bacon.jpg.jpg

The first time I read about the bacon biscuits at the Old Course I was picturing...I dont know, what an American pictures, something that looks like something from McDonalds. Turns out its a biscuit with butter and a slab of what we would more think of as pork belly. Just absolute pure deliciousness.

I took three winner bets before the WC on Belgium, England and Croatia. This is a mortal lock guarantee now that France wins it. I love watching Kevin de Bruyne play though, man he just glides around the field. The Belgium and England teams are so damn stacked, its a wonder they ever lose a game. Croatia can certainly win it too, I think they are one of those teams that most people dont think much of because its "Croatia" but tons of talent. Only knock against them might be they have played two straight full time games plus extra time plus shootouts.

Agree with City though, I've heard a ton on this WC. Its been nice to just hear about the WC and not constantly hear about how this means the next explosion of soccer in the US. Just pure soccer talk without the USMNT nonsense.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I haven't made a birdie in what feels like about 54 holes even though I'm playing well.

calling it now: this just means that the birdie barrage is coming. i had a similar drought earlier this year and decided to try to never leave a putt short. i've undoubtedly had slightly more 3 putts, but have made way more mid-range par saves/birdie putts than before taking on that mindset. i know you're a 'die it in the hole' putter, so maybe just do a quick review of how many you left just shy over those last 54. center cup and short is a terrible feeling.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

belgium has consistently looked the best throughout the WC. i'm rooting for lukaku and debruyne and hazard. simply fantastic players at the height of their powers. exciting to watch their counterattack. awesome skill set. i hope they get past france (as much as i like france). the brazil/belgium game was so epic after brazil went down 2... the constant pressure by brazil was just ridiculous.

Deadspin did an awesome breakdown of the "dummy" Lukaku set up during the Japan game.

I played soccer throughout high school and some in my twenties, and I even considered myself a heady player, but I always feel like I know less about the game and strategy than I should. Like, I could break down what goes on in an NFL play, or a basketball play, a lot better than a soccer play. Probably just boils down to having watched SO MUCH MORE NFL and NBA than soccer.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Did they cover Justin Leonard's 72nd hole? Where he punched out...into the bern? If he stops short, and gets up and down like he did from the hazard without that penalty shot, he wins it outright.

And it's called rub of the green....

Sort of brushed over it a bit. They showed his bogey putt and talked about the fact that they knew it was a 3 shot lead before ever teeing off on 18. They knew Leonard made bogey. Even Jesper Parnevik commented that it might have been better to have a 2 shot lead instead of 3 in that spot.

Deadspin did an awesome breakdown of the "dummy" Lukaku set up during the Japan game.

I played soccer throughout high school and some in my twenties, and I even considered myself a heady player, but I always feel like I know less about the game and strategy than I should. Like, I could break down what goes on in an NFL play, or a basketball play, a lot better than a soccer play. Probably just boils down to having watched SO MUCH MORE NFL and NBA than soccer.

That run gives me goose bumps. So much pure fantastic. Beautiful. That's when you know a player is in the game. I've tried to teach that to some of our high school kids. Most end in a better position to have a camera than pull a defender. And when it doesn't happen right (pulling to the corner, or away from the other attacker,) the parents have a conniption fit. Both during and after the game.

I haven't made a birdie in what feels like about 54 holes even though I'm playing well.

calling it now: this just means that the birdie barrage is coming. i had a similar drought earlier this year and decided to try to never leave a putt short. i've undoubtedly had slightly more 3 putts, but have made way more mid-range par saves/birdie putts than before taking on that mindset. i know you're a 'die it in the hole' putter, so maybe just do a quick review of how many you left just shy over those last 54. center cup and short is a terrible feeling.

I'm actually getting the ball to the hole quite well inside of 25 feet. Just can't get stuff to drop. I'm not too concerned about it. Had a downhill slider on 7 yesterday that was going in the heart and just bumped out left as it died (that's a putt that can roll 10 feet past if you're frisky). Getting into some of these matches these days, however. . ."parring guys to death" just isn't working so great anymore. Hitting a 5 iron from 185 to 22 feet is a great shot, but it's not a birdie opportunity. Need to set them up better on the par 5's and work in a couple "lucky" ones too.

I've been focused -- and will continue to focus -- on getting wedges closer. Been pretty happy with contact. Need to hit some of those "intermediate" distances better. Actually feel like my chipping has suffered a little this summer as I've focused on long game. Chipping doesn't translate to birdies, but it does translate to strokes. As I've said before, it can become "whack-a-mole".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

There certainly seems to be plenty of world cup coverage available, if you want to consume it.

As somebody who doesn't care about it, there just seems to be less cramming it down everyones throats this year. When the US is in it, people that don't pay attention to soccer turn into huge fans all the sudden, and the results and coverage seem more "front page" if that makes sense.