2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - This One Goes to Eleven

eagle1997

Let's gloss over the fact that I'm claiming everything fractional as half a stroke gain or loss lol.

if you used 1/3s or less... i'd say you were trolling.

i actually think that recovery shot was worth a full stroke or more. had a good look at birdie, bogey was basically off the table. plus i got to post a graphic in the thread that displayed my shotmaking abilities, and that's friggin priceless. ;)

Executing it as you did was certainly a yuge gain. If you had punched out, you'd be left with 3.something strokes to go. Instead you were on the green with slightly less than 2 strokes to go.

That doesn't even account for the gain in internet peen size for being able to post about said recovery shot.

Just on the mental side of it, adjust your expectations of yourself. Chances are you drive it exactly as consistently as you're skilled to do. We pretty much all think we're better than we actually are. You're not going to drive it far and true from hole to hole, and from day to day. Focus less on the result, and more on what you're doing. Be mindful of your shot selection, focus on the pre-shot-routine and what you're trying to go, and let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes you'll succeed, and sometimes you'll spray one. Either way, you make sure you did all the things right before you hit the shot, and then move on. All easier said than done, but that's the idea.

But if I can hit say 4/5 imaginary fairways during practice, and miss the 5th by a reasonable amount, is it then unreasonable to expect similar or close to it during a round? I guess if I don't set expectations by the progress I make during practice I'm not sure how else to derive them.

I don't know. Are you just out there pounding driver after driver to derive that result? If so, that's not really super accurate. There's a big difference between getting in a groove hitting driver after driver on the range, and hitting 14 tee balls scattered throughout the round, on real golf holes with fairways, hazards, slopes, etc.

• Replies 19.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheCityGame

• FAbb

• eagle1997

• dcmidnight

Let's gloss over the fact that I'm claiming everything fractional as half a stroke gain or loss lol.

if you used 1/3s or less... i'd say you were trolling.

i actually think that recovery shot was worth a full stroke or more. had a good look at birdie, bogey was basically off the table. plus i got to post a graphic in the thread that displayed my shotmaking abilities, and that's friggin priceless. ;)

Executing it as you did was certainly a yuge gain. If you had punched out, you'd be left with 3.something strokes to go. Instead you were on the green with slightly less than 2 strokes to go.

That doesn't even account for the gain in internet peen size for being able to post about said recovery shot.

Just on the mental side of it, adjust your expectations of yourself. Chances are you drive it exactly as consistently as you're skilled to do. We pretty much all think we're better than we actually are. You're not going to drive it far and true from hole to hole, and from day to day. Focus less on the result, and more on what you're doing. Be mindful of your shot selection, focus on the pre-shot-routine and what you're trying to go, and let the chips fall where they may. Sometimes you'll succeed, and sometimes you'll spray one. Either way, you make sure you did all the things right before you hit the shot, and then move on. All easier said than done, but that's the idea.

But if I can hit say 4/5 imaginary fairways during practice, and miss the 5th by a reasonable amount, is it then unreasonable to expect similar or close to it during a round? I guess if I don't set expectations by the progress I make during practice I'm not sure how else to derive them.

I don't know. Are you just out there pounding driver after driver to derive that result? If so, that's not really super accurate. There's a big difference between getting in a groove hitting driver after driver on the range, and hitting 14 tee balls scattered throughout the round, on real golf holes with fairways, hazards, slopes, etc.

Sometimes yes sometimes no. Taken 2 lessons over the last few months trying to focus on consistency and the instructor made me do variable practice like Eagle mentioned, so I do try to incorporate that, unless I feel like I've totally lost the feeling and am just trying to get it back. To your point about thinking I'm better than I am, though,...I certainly agree and try to remind myself of that as often as I can. No point in getting upset about shots that are within the standard deviation from my "normal". The fact that I've already this season had some of my best scores and am hitting my "good" scores more frequently shows me that I am in fact improving, but could also contribute to increasing frustration as I feel like I could or should be performing that well more frequently, when in reality that kind of consistency will take more time and may be the next step, as it were.

For me, "variable practice" is a A LOT harder than people make it out to be. Not because I can't attempt it, but because I go to the same places to practice and get familiar with them. Aiming at a particular target on the range has a lot of memory that goes with it. I'm lining up properly because I've hit the same shot 100 times before, not solely because my regular alignment is great. So just making up numbers, maybe 30% of the comfort I derive from hitting a certain target at the range doesn't transfer to a random shot at the course where it's a slightly different/new target each time.

Golf is hard..

Sometimes we make it harder than it has to be.

We pay to play the game and do not get paid to play it.

Hell I am so uncomfortable over the ball right now it sucks balls.

However, next time I play I will have the same thoughts (hit the ball straight) without truly knowing the results.

We will only win little battles but never the war.

If you know your tee game is what is holding you back then find the club that will get you off the tee more times then not.

Could be your trusty hybrid, could be choke down on your driver an inch and bunt cutts. You have to find what part of the course you want to take away and commit.

Could be the left side or right.

Now all this is easier said than done but that is golf.

Just do not sandbag like sully— that dude is horrible.

Step back from that ledge man.. come see me at olney. I get off at 700. So 730-830 the trackman is all yours

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

The mental stuff is always a work in progress. Overall I am pretty happy with how I comported myself yesterday in what will go down as one of my worst rounds of the season when it's all said and done. I probably lost a couple shots to rushed, hasty execution brought on by frustration. Other than those couple shots, I really was able to compose myself and focus on the execution of each shot for the entire round.

may as well start reading this now.

The 2019 Rule Changes:

https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/rules/rules-modernization/golf-new-rules/Rules%20of%20Golf%20for%202019.pdf

i know we talked about this before, but putting with the flagstick IN is going to be an incredible, fundamental change. might not be for the better, either.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Thread in instruction.

"I've learned to get to P6. What do I do now?"

This?

:russian_roulette:

(that's a pretty dark emoji, ya?)

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The 2019 Rule Changes:

https://www.usga.org...lf for 2019.pdf

i know we talked about this before, but putting with the flagstick IN is going to be an incredible, fundamental change. might not be for the better, either.

I don't think much will change in our day to day games other than some relaxed rules when it comes to drops, penalty areas, and repairing damage on the green. Pretty sure a majority of golfers don't want the stick in when they putt, so I don't think that will affect very many people. I know I will still take the flag out per usual.

http://www.golfwrx.com/515526/2019-rule-changes-whats-in-it-for-you/

The 2019 Rule Changes:

https://www.usga.org...lf for 2019.pdf

2dqy5g.jpg

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Good points...I've started being more diligent in playing the shortest club I can that still leaves me a confident approach shot distance. It has certainly helped and I find myself hitting driver less often. However, on bad days (like this past Saturday) it doesn't seem to matter what I hit off the tee, I'm spraying. A week or two earlier I could not miss with hybrid of 3-wood...and even this past Saturday morning on the range I couldn't miss. Hit a few good tee-shots early on and then boom goes the dynamite.

Of course the underlying issue is fix my swing or become more consistent, which leads me to your driving range point. I will sometimes tell people the reason I get so frustrated is because I can do all of these things on the driving range consistently during practice. I can and do put in the time, and while it has paid off and I understand that real lasting progress is a slow journey, it seems like the gap between driving range Go_Time and on-course Go_Time is enormous and far larger and it should be. I mean the delta between my normal good and bad rounds is nearly 20 strokes. Cripes.

A little ramble-y but hopefully that makes sense. Just need to vent I guess.

Obviously, I've only played with you once, so I have next to no experience of your golf game, your baseline/normal level of performance, handicap, etc.

Of course, as is normal for me, I'm so caught up in my own game that beyond the immediate recognition of a good shot and complimentary comment, I pretty much have no recollection of individual holes of my playing partners.

I would say the greatest compliment that can be paid to anyone's mental game/approach is how they are able to react to adversity on the course. The fact that you followed up a crap front 9 with a 35 on the back says all you need to know. You have everything you need to consistently pressure par on just about any course out there. Be honest with yourself on the origins/causes of your mistakes, work at them, and apply them to the next round, knowing full well that perfection is unattainable. Fall in love with the process, using the results purely as a means of improving your process.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

Good points...I've started being more diligent in playing the shortest club I can that still leaves me a confident approach shot distance. It has certainly helped and I find myself hitting driver less often. However, on bad days (like this past Saturday) it doesn't seem to matter what I hit off the tee, I'm spraying. A week or two earlier I could not miss with hybrid of 3-wood...and even this past Saturday morning on the range I couldn't miss. Hit a few good tee-shots early on and then boom goes the dynamite.

Of course the underlying issue is fix my swing or become more consistent, which leads me to your driving range point. I will sometimes tell people the reason I get so frustrated is because I can do all of these things on the driving range consistently during practice. I can and do put in the time, and while it has paid off and I understand that real lasting progress is a slow journey, it seems like the gap between driving range Go_Time and on-course Go_Time is enormous and far larger and it should be. I mean the delta between my normal good and bad rounds is nearly 20 strokes. Cripes.

A little ramble-y but hopefully that makes sense. Just need to vent I guess.

I would say the greatest compliment that can be paid to anyone's mental game/approach is how they are able to react to adversity on the course. The fact that you followed up a crap front 9 with a 35 on the back says all you need to know. You have everything you need to consistently pressure par on just about any course out there. Be honest with yourself on the origins/causes of your mistakes, work at them, and apply them to the next round, knowing full well that perfection is unattainable. Fall in love with the process, using the results purely as a means of improving your process.

I can say with relative certainty the only reason I did so well on the back was because I was "checked out" after a horrific front 9. Something to be intensely introspective about I suppose....

You let go of your expectations, and being hung up on the results you were getting.

How many times do you hear about somebody getting off to a $hit start, at which point they "give up" and then proceed to crush it the rest of the round. How about times that somebody gets off to a great start, and at some point goes completely belly-up? All the time, right?

It's not like it'll be a simple miracle cure and you'll start shooting career rounds every time, but it's definitely one of the great mental barriers in golf to go from results focused to process focused. It's not a new concept. Have you ever read any of Rotella's books? He talks at length about the subject, much better than any of us can. He has players develop their PSR, and go out and score their rounds by how well they stuck with their PSR and process for every single shot.

There's also a difference between being results focused, and having any type of reaction to your results. You can be process focused in your execution, and still have an emotional reaction to the result.

I can say with relative certainty the only reason I did so well on the back was because I was "checked out" after a horrific front 9. Something to be intensely introspective about I suppose....

You still had to hit those shots. Don't give the results any more power than they deserve. That's my point.

[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

FAbb, can you be my sports psychologist? What's your billable rate?

You let go of your expectations, and being hung up on the results you were getting.

How many times do you hear about somebody getting off to a $hit start, at which point they "give up" and then proceed to crush it the rest of the round. How about times that somebody gets off to a great start, and at some point goes completely belly-up? All the time, right?

It's not like it'll be a simple miracle cure and you'll start shooting career rounds every time, but it's definitely one of the great mental barriers in golf to go from results focused to process focused. It's not a new concept. Have you ever read any of Rotella's books? He talks at length about the subject, much better than any of us can. He has players develop their PSR, and go out and score their rounds by how well they stuck with their PSR and process for every single shot.

There's also a difference between being results focused, and having any type of reaction to your results. You can be process focused in your execution, and still have an emotional reaction to the result.

i hear you - is there a Rotella book to start with or will any of them do?

You still had to hit those shots. Don't give the results any more power than they deserve. That's my point.

you're right...i saw the other day that george gankas drills into his junior players to train themselves on this, and makes many of them say outloud during pre-shot routine 'I am ok with any outcome' in an effort to clear their mind. Definitely something to think (or not) about.

I took three winner bets before the WC on Belgium, England and Croatia. This is a mortal lock guarantee now that France wins it.

why can't we ever have nice things?

oh wait...

cut.jpg

NEVER MIND!

#ALLCAPS

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5