2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

My set of MMB Blacks showed up today and to get a grasp of how the long irons are made,,, and why they are so easy to hit I took some pics. Though it is a muscle back style it has a bunch of GI built in. Looking dead at the toe you see how the back of the iron has a lot of weight down low. It's built almost like a cavity back. It has some tugsten out towards the toe too. Plus it has a decent blade length and the top line is thick for a blade. Hard core blades are not built like this. They remain forgiving but give a ton of precise performance. Feedback tells you just where you hit it. These can be played by the guys who need that forgiveness but Really want the sexiness of a blade. Should everybody play these,, hell no. But a lot of guys could.

These are also truly progressive as they morph into a true blade style as it gets to the 9i and G.

I find these more precise than the DBM and I actually hit the 4 and 5 iron better with the MMB than the DBM.

The lofts are traditional and since I don't need distance help they really fit my gap needs well.

I have some of the prototype shafts in the Blacks and I'll get some dats on them compared to my gamer Nippon 950GH shafts. I have those in the standard MMB-17 which are the chrome ones.

Btw pics do not do the iron justice,, at all. It's the best looking head I have ever seen. They are nice in chrome, but Black is flat out gorgeous.c5ae11980540f64a84eb0f439d5e736e.jpg3b3520ec01012fe29365fa548142b8a8.jpg4168b9bab410e7463820724dfc3da48a.jpgdeb0acb51f3e0f00ffa6cca1e52a9d73.jpg

Unreal beauties! You stamp a major OEM on them and they'd be best-sellers. So tempted but holding off for the releases later this year.

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn they look good.

I gotta find a graphite shafts and then move on these. Will recoils and Steelfiber go in these ?

The MMBs are .370.

DBM and PTM are universal bore and take either .335 or .370,

thanks

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

hot diggity damn I placed my order! DBM 4 - GW + Nippon N.S. Pro950GH + Pure Blue Wrap grips. I also added the KE4 3 Hybrid to the mix with the house shaft. Hopefully this won't take long because I'm officially clubless having sold my clubs to my boss to fund this order :tongue: Anybody here have any experience with the KE4 Hybrids?

Congrats. Take some pics once you get em.

Yep, put a KE4 in the bag last year - one of the "Tour Packs" offered w/ a Kuro Kage. I'm still smitten with it, it's not going anywhere.

Pretty versatile, I can hit nice high bombs, piercing low shots, and dead solid shanks with it.

It was the first to knock my Bobby Jones hybrid to the curb - a fixture in the bag for 9+ years.

YMMV, but you could have done far, far, worse (and spend substantially more).

Hope it works well for you.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Yep, put a KE4 in the bag last year - one of the "Tour Packs" offered w/ a Kuro Kage. I'm still smitten with it, it's not going anywhere.

Pretty versatile, I can hit nice high bombs, piercing low shots, and dead solid shanks with it.

It was the first to knock my Bobby Jones hybrid to the curb - a fixture in the bag for 9+ years.

YMMV, but you could have done far, far, worse (and spend substantially more).

Hope it works well for you.

nothing beats the unmistakable fealing of a well-hit shank :P love it! I'm excited to say the least.

The KE4 tour hybrid? Or something different?

To be honest, I'm really not. However, I know golf clubs like the back of my hand. There are 10000% some people who hit blades or smaller-soled irons better than thicker ones. Where the issue come in is not sole width, it's sweet spot size. The perfect sweet spot zone is a heck of a lot smaller on a blade than it is on a GI club, and marginally smaller than it is on a CB. You may be the exception to the rule, but most players who are shooting 85 on their best day (a 14 handicap by definition) does not hit the middle of the golf club consistently enough to get the benefit of the control and shot shape workability a blade has to offer.

Now I know everyone is different, and you could work every day at the range until your hands bleed, but even a lot of tour guys are switching to CBs, such as P750, AP2, CBs, Z765, etc. If the best players in the world want some more forgiveness I don't see why we shouldn't either.

I think there is some terminology that is getting mixed up here. The cog/sweet spot is basically the size of a pin head on every single golf club, no matter the size of the club or wood... the location changes but the size of the sweet spot never changes. Moi and face flex are what make clubs more forgiving than others. The more moi/face flex throughout the clubface, the more consistent the distance will be as you move outward from the cog/sweet spot.

We have a lot of golf professionals on this site so please chime in if you feel this is inaccurate, but im fairly certain this is how to properly access a club's forgiveness yes?

I prefer to look at it this way... how much face area is there for a "relatively solid" strike, for any given design.

Consider that impact that is 'inside' the COG (sweet-spot) will twist the head less and will be more "relatively solid"....vs impacts that are 'outside' or toe side of the sweet-spot.

A head design that has a short horizontal COG or "C-dimension", has less room horizontally on the face, between the edge of the hosel and the sweetspot. They have less face area to work for for "relatively solid" contact. In other words, harder to hit and less forgiving for most players.

One of the strengths with all the Maltby iron designs, is that relative to their given size,... they all have 'longer' C-dimensions,....allowing more face area to work with horizontally.

Combine this with the fact that all the Maltby designs have COG (sweet-spots) that are vertically below the center of the ball....and we have more face area to work with in both directions.

The hardest iron designs to hit and the ones with the least face area to "work with", are those that have short C-dimensions and high Actual Vertical COG's. A sweet-spot nearer the hosel and higher on the face....."less playable" for most

hot diggity damn I placed my order! DBM 4 - GW + Nippon N.S. Pro950GH + Pure Blue Wrap grips. I also added the KE4 3 Hybrid to the mix with the house shaft. Hopefully this won't take long because I'm officially clubless having sold my clubs to my boss to fund this order :tongue: Anybody here have any experience with the KE4 Hybrids?

Is it the KE4 Tour hybrid? I have two of them. Probably one of the best hybrids that hardly anyone is playing.

Is it the KE4 Tour hybrid? I have two of them. Probably the best hybrid that hardly anyone is playing.

This is what it looks like https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-tour-hybrid-pak/p/PMA0217/

Is it the KE4 Tour hybrid? I have two of them. Probably the best hybrid that hardly anyone is playing.

This is what it looks like https://www.golfwork...-pak/p/PMA0217/

I think it's a great club. I hit both of mine very well. I'd be interested in your feedback after you've had a chance to play with it a few times.

The KE4 tour hybrid? Or something different?

This the one I'm playing:

Maltby KE4 Tour Hybrid Pak - MRC Kuro Kage Black 2nd Gen

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-tour-hyrbid-pak-mrc-kuro-kage-black-2nd-gen/p/PMA0217HBP/

$65. A slam dunk no-brainer for me.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Ok. Hit em both today. Steelfiber it is. 95i. Time to buy and choose a head.

Do we have any comparison pics of all Maltby black irons? PTM vs DBM vs MMB?

I know MMB are the smallest but was actually surprised that my DBM 7i was that much longer than my 7 PING i20. Offset was greater on the i20. I still want the MMB but would have to bend them a little stronger at least 2° and that would only leave 1° of bounce left and I think they would be serious diggers. Then that leaves PTM vs DBM. PTM is seriously stronger lofted but the sole pics on here look pretty significant.

No comparison pics because I only have the PTM blacks but they continue to impress me. Really, really solid performers and feel awesome. Thin topline, black makes them look smaller, the blade lengths of all of these are definitely long, but not any longer than my Cobra F6's.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I wish it were easier to demo these irons. Would definitely make the decision easier.

The photos posted so far are helpful, keep them coming! Also if anyone can take comparison shots between the MMB Black/PTM/DBM and any other OEM irons I think that would be helpful to get an idea of head/top line/sole sizes

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

I wish it were easier to demo these irons. Would definitely make the decision easier.

The photos posted so far are helpful, keep them coming! Also if anyone can take comparison shots between the MMB Black/PTM/DBM and any other OEM irons I think that would be helpful to get an idea of head/top line/sole sizes

when I get my DBM's in (hopefully later this week) I'll try to post some pics at address behind a ball for better reference. I'll also try to get a few other variations of popular brand clubs in the same/similar category to do side by sides. Put my covert spy ninja skills to use at PGATSS..

when I get my DBM's in (hopefully later this week) I'll try to post some pics at address behind a ball for better reference. I'll also try to get a few other variations of popular brand clubs in the same/similar category to do side by sides. Put my covert spy ninja skills to use at PGATSS..

Curious, why did you decide on DBM over PTM?

Curious, why did you decide on DBM over PTM?

to be honest, in the end I really could have put all 3 club models in a hat and been happy with whichever I pulled.. but unfortunately I have to make things much more complicated. By profession and nature, I'm a risk analyst (mortgage Underwriter).. it's just the way my brain is wired. So I approached this process like I would a case at work. Gathered as much data as I could and then began to compare the risks v.s. the compensating factors. Looking at the 3, the negatives were were pretty negligible so I just threw any possibility of negative factors out the window. So then I began to focus on how many positive factors each club presented. While the PTM's slightly edged out the others on looks, it wasn't really enough of a factor to tip the scale. Ultimately I considered the following listed in order of importance: 1. playability (especially coming from large, offset GI clubs) 2. feel 3. price-point and lastly 4. looks. To me, playability, feel, and price-point weighed heavier than looks in this group and with a lower COG to help ease me into this category of iron, true forged feel, and $50-$60 lighter price tag than the MMB and PTM, the winner was DBM's. Keep in mind that it was only a marginal victory only because I HAD to pick a winner and this was my crazy process. I also realize that all of these factors are based on static information and I have not hit any of the clubs so I have to take them for what they are. I may find that I don't like them at all and then it's back to the drawing boards.. Now thinking long-term, in the event that I decide to switch to one of the other heads down the road.. or should Maltby release something more appealing (rumor has it they might have a few things cooking for 2018), I've got shafts (N.S. Pro950's) that I feel are quite versatile for any future changes that I may consider. At that point, I'm just paying for the heads. Hopefully nobody here is as crazy as I am. Sometimes it's not easy to live inside this head of mine :P

I will say this as a disclaimer...

If youre in an area thats winter and you cant play right now dont buy these...you will go mad as i have. My golf itch is insatiable and cant be tamed. Every time i walk past my MMBs they talk to me begging to be swung. But with a foot of snow it looks like spring is nowhere to be seen.

In truth you cant go wrong with any of these 3. I would never game the PTM simply because of the lofts (lim a traditionalist)

I will say this as a disclaimer...

If youre in an area thats winter and you cant play right now dont buy these...you will go mad as i have. My golf itch is insatiable and cant be tamed. Every time i walk past my MMBs they talk to me begging to be swung. But with a foot of snow it looks like spring is nowhere to be seen.

In truth you cant go wrong with any of these 3. I would never game the PTM simply because of the lofts (lim a traditionalist)

I won't divulge where I reside.. but my screen name is a hint.. and I don't judge your anger.

Do you happen to have a PGA Tour Superstore close by? They have a Player's Club membership that costs $100/yr. It includes unlimited launch monitor hitting sessions. During the summer here when it's 115 here, I'll go there and hit balls and collect data for 2 hours in the air conditioning. Also includes 30 free re gripping services (pay for the grips only) and 50% off on club repair. It pays for itself in the first week (if you go every day like I do). If you become friendly with the staff, they also tend to give you free reign of the fitting equipment. Hopefully you have something similar and I'm not just rubbing more salt in the wounds here.

I wish Golfworks had a demo program, like you pay $X and they send you a 7-iron built standard with steel shaft, then you had 30 days to try it and send it back and get a portion of the $X applied to a full set if you purchase. If you didn't send it back in time you then get charged the full price of that iron. That way you could at least see the heads in hand and on the course a bit before you somewhat-blindly buy a set of irons that won't have a whole lot of resale value if they don't work.

I thought I saw something about a return policy, but don't remember it and whether it had a provision in here about clubs that have been built and hit

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

I wish Golfworks had a demo program, like you pay $X and they send you a 7-iron built standard with steel shaft, then you had 30 days to try it and send it back and get a portion of the $X applied to a full set if you purchase. If you didn't send it back in time you then get charged the full price of that iron. That way you could at least see the heads in hand and on the course a bit before you somewhat-blindly buy a set of irons that won't have a whole lot of resale value if they don't work.

I thought I saw something about a return policy, but don't remember it and whether it had a provision in here about clubs that have been built and hit

https://www.golfworks.com/custom-golf-club-assembly/a/490/

https://www.golfwork...assembly/a/490/ has the verbiage on the satisfaction guarantee piece. I agree with you about wishing there was a way to "test "drive"" (see what I did there?) But in the age of internet consumerism, I guess we all just have to take a bunch of other people's word for it and be OK with the consequences.