2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

So the MPF shafts feel great when I hit them solid, the ball goes pretty high but that could just be the MMBs, hard to separate out since I haven't hit them in any other shaft. The only problem I see is the weight is different (vs steel) so I found I have to slow my backswing down so I can feel the club and make better contact. Not a knock on the shaft just need more time with them to get use to it and adjust. I built them in the MMBs and also with a 56 and 62 M+ wedge and they all feel good. Just a fair warning the shaft does not prevent terrible swings where you aggressively hit an inch behind the ball.

I love the look and how the preform so far. Just a heads up if you are ordering them GW can build the shafts logo up or down, the up side has a pretty big "MPF Pro Series" as pictures on their site and the down side is a much smaller "Maltby Playability Factor" in silver. I went logo up since it matched the grips I was getting but they said some people were distracted by the big logo.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont want a hybrid...have a cobra f6 3h which is boss. I want a 3i or a drivin iron to keep it lower

The DBMs have a slightly higher MPF so should be a little more forgiving. I'd also compare their offsets to your irons as one might fit better with what you have. They are hard to find but if you can locate a KE4 HDI driving iron they are pretty sweet as well.

Such a shame the HDI was discontinued. A stellar head that just didn't sell for them. Anyone that has hit mine falls in love with the feel and performance.

So the MPF shafts feel great when I hit them solid, the ball goes pretty high but that could just be the MMBs, hard to separate out since I haven't hit them in any other shaft. The only problem I see is the weight is different (vs steel) so I found I have to slow my backswing down so I can feel the club and make better contact. Not a knock on the shaft just need more time with them to get use to it and adjust. I built them in the MMBs and also with a 56 and 62 M+ wedge and they all feel good. Just a fair warning the shaft does not prevent terrible swings where you aggressively hit an inch behind the ball.

I love the look and how the preform so far. Just a heads up if you are ordering them GW can build the shafts logo up or down, the up side has a pretty big "MPF Pro Series" as pictures on their site and the down side is a much smaller "Maltby Playability Factor" in silver. I went logo up since it matched the grips I was getting but they said some people were distracted by the big logo.

Those look great.

If you are having a hard time adjusting to the weight of the shafts, try what Ernie Els does. Pull out a roll of lead tape and wrap the shaft until they feel good.? I think he puts it below the grip. Maybe someone else has a better recollection with this method...

Dont want a hybrid...have a cobra f6 3h which is boss. I want a 3i or a drivin iron to keep it lower

The DBMs have a slightly higher MPF so should be a little more forgiving. I'd also compare their offsets to your irons as one might fit better with what you have. They are hard to find but if you can locate a KE4 HDI driving iron they are pretty sweet as well.

Such a shame the HDI was discontinued. A stellar head that just didn't sell for them. Anyone that has hit mine falls in love with the feel and performance.

This was the head that I originally had my sights set on but they only had 5h available from their closeout. Still though, no regrets whatsoever with the KE4 Tour 3h. I can hit that thing a mile with very little effort and play a variety of shots/trajectories quite easily.

Those look great.

If you are having a hard time adjusting to the weight of the shafts, try what Ernie Els does. Pull out a roll of lead tape and wrap the shaft until they feel good.? I think he puts it below the grip. Maybe someone else has a better recollection with this method...

Sticking to the topic of Maltby MPF Pro Series shafts.. Has anybody out there had a chance to play this shaft in a driver? I'm really intrigued as I have the hybrid with this shaft and just love everything about it. Such a smooth feeling shaft with tons of kick and no whip. I was considering swapping out my Kuro Kage Black 50 (stock shaft on Nike Covert 2.0) with the Maltby UL S flex. I'm wondering if I would see any performance improvements or if it would just be a lateral move just for aesthetics. Also, is there any way to stiff tip it? I'm borderline S/XS with about 111 mph driver SS. THx!

Those look great.

Sticking to the topic of Maltby MPF Pro Series shafts.. Has anybody out there had a chance to play this shaft in a driver? I'm really intrigued as I have the hybrid with this shaft and just love everything about it. Such a smooth feeling shaft with tons of kick and no whip. I was considering swapping out my Kuro Kage Black 50 (stock shaft on Nike Covert 2.0) with the Maltby UL S flex. I'm wondering if I would see any performance improvements or if it would just be a lateral move just for aesthetics. Also, is there any way to stiff tip it? I'm borderline S/XS with about 111 mph driver SS. THx!

I would go right to Brit Lindsey on the golf works forum with that question. It's been a while since I played the Maltby brand driver shafts but they were always great if not excellent. Frankly they are so inexpensive you almost have to try one.

Those look great.

I would go right to Brit Lindsey on the golf works forum with that question. It's been a while since I played the Maltby brand driver shafts but they were always great if not excellent. Frankly they are so inexpensive you almost have to try one.

Good call, I'll post the question for Brit on Golfworks. My quandary is that I really don't have any issues with the shaft that's currently on my driver (Kuro Kage Black HBP 50) and it even looks pretty good.. so if I can prevent spending $50, as cheap as that is for a good shaft, I'm all for that. But if there are any performance perks that I might pick up with the Maltby shaft then I'm all for that too. I'm really just looking for "tweak" improvements.. nothing drastic. Thanks for the advice

I traded for a set of DBMs from a wrx'r with X100 shafts. Look amazing over the ball, feel soft when well struck and they are easy to hit. Haven't been able to take to range to see ball flight but so far nothing but positive things to say about them. DBMs Just cant beat out the 900 forged though. The Mizunos just feel too good and are so damn long. I can't bring myself to take them out of bag. I have owned tons of different sets of irons of many brands over last 5 years. I have come to the conclusion that I have to play Mizuno. I need that feeling they reward you with on well struck shots.

Just played my first 9 holes with a new set of MMB-17 Blacks with KBS 105 stiffs.

I'm not sure if I'm going to play them for the year.

I hit some great shots, and I hit some really bad ones.

The thing that surprised me the most is how long these are on well struck shots. At least as long as my 712 AP1's, sometimes longer, despite having weaker lofts.

The slightly missed shot was penalized more than with my AP's. My miss is generally thin, and the AP's seem better with that miss.

I hit a few balls on a couple of approach shots, and the distance varied a lot more than I expected between good and bad shots. Good shots were sometimes a club too long, and bad shots were 2 clubs too little.

I'm chalking most of that up to this being the first time on a golf course in 6 weeks.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow. Then I'm heading down to Columbia, SC to play a round on Monday before going to Augusta for Tuesday's practice round. I'm not sure which irons I will be bringing with me.

I played some great rounds last year with those AP1's, going from a 5.8 down to my all time lowest 2.0, it's going to be hard to let them go. But after 6 years with the same irons...something might have to change...right?

Played less golf this year, really since August of my life. New job is killing me. I’ve only had my 4 days in Myrtle with these and I wasn’t playing particularly well. They look good and feel great when hit (PTM) well. I need range time. But switch from Ping i20 with steel CFS shafts to PTM with graphite shafts. Need to put in the work.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Just played my first 9 holes with a new set of MMB-17 Blacks with KBS 105 stiffs.

The thing that surprised me the most is how long these are on well struck shots. At least as long as my 712 AP1's, sometimes longer, despite having weaker lofts.

The slightly missed shot was penalized more than with my AP's. My miss is generally thin, and the AP's seem better with that miss.

I hit a few balls on a couple of approach shots, and the distance varied a lot more than I expected between good and bad shots. Good shots were sometimes a club too long, and bad shots were 2 clubs too little.

I'm chalking most of that up to this being the first time on a golf course in 6 weeks.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow. Then I'm heading down to Columbia, SC to play a round on Monday before going to Augusta for Tuesday's practice round. I'm not sure which irons I will be bringing with me.

I played some great rounds last year with those AP1's, going from a 5.8 down to my all time lowest 2.0, it's going to be hard to let them go. But after 6 years with the same irons...something might have to change...right?

How did you like the feel of the 105 shafts.

Distance with these heads is something that has always shocked me. I have a full season with the chromed MMB-17 and for me they were longer than the DBM. By a good margin.

Remember that you have played the AP1 clubs for a really long time. Give the blacks a fair share. That's what did with mine and I'm so glad I did.

I joined the club with a set of DBMs with KBS Tour shafts. Went to the range with them today. They felt great. The distance was what I expected and I was able to hit a nice soft fade. Since my miss hits tend to be pull hooks that was a big plus.

I bit the bullet and have a set of heads on the way coz of pics like these:-)

Can’t wait to get them!

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

How did you like the feel of the 105 shafts.

Distance with these heads is something that has always shocked me. I have a full season with the chromed MMB-17 and for me they were longer than the DBM. By a good margin.

Remember that you have played the AP1 clubs for a really long time. Give the blacks a fair share. That's what did with mine and I'm so glad I did.

Just got back from a mini vacation in a small town in Georgia. :taunt:

I got to play my first 18 hole round with the new irons. I hit some really good shots. I need to trust them a little more but, again, that's mostly from the season just starting for me. These will be in the bag for this weekends rounds.

I like the feel of the KBS shafts. I have Dynalite Gold XP's in my AP1's. They are a little bit lighter, 113 vs. 105. I like the flight, not too high. I think these MMB's flight a touch lower than my AP's.

Built a set of DMB's last week. Can't wait to try them.

I am used to my Ping G25's and these things look awesome at address, but a little intimidating. They seem to be 25% smaller than my Ping heads - super sharp top line. Anxious to try them out.

Mr. Wolfe

Hi Wolfe, would love to hear your thoughts compared to the G25. Those g25 are pretty forgiving, high launch, so I think that is a good baseline comparison to the DBMs. THanks,

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

Not sure if this is been discussed...but does anyone experience more fliers out of the rough with these? I play the dbm's with project x lz.

No, if anything in comparison to most,...less flyers would be expected. Cause of the tighter groove spacing or "micro grooves"

I've not experienced this. We get bouncers here in AZ (regardless of the amount of spin the greens are so dang hard the ball just bounces right off) but in the few instances that I had a morning tee time when the greens were wet and much softer, or played a better maintained course, the ball sticks pretty nicely from all cuts. In one instance, I hit a 6i from 180 yds and actually spun the ball back 3 feet and that was from the light rough. I'm sure that the ball used, club face interaction (compress v.s. scoop), shaft, trajectory/descent might all be factors as well. gotta love this game!

Is your question from personal experience or just curiosity?

I had the G25 irons and I can see why people love them so much but they were not for me. Clunky, big soles, and too much offset. My second round with them was my lowest in my life but I gradually regressed and lost my feel and distance control. The TE look/feel more like a traditional iron and fit my eye better. Never had those issues with the TE. If they are less forgiving than the G25 I couldn't tell.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Got in the first round yesterday with the MMB Blacks with KBS Tour 105. It's was about 35° and a 25 mph wind so it wasn't what you would call a scoring day but they felt fantastic. Such a solid feel with that combination. Not mushy soft and not at all harsh. I will say that I have never had such a great touch with the short game. A lot of missed greens left a huge variety of short game shots. I used the G wedge all the way to the 8 iron... Left myself a foot or two away all day long. Just based on short game control and feel I'm wildly in love. Wasn't sure I would like that shaft as inside the simulator they felt fairly harsh.

Had a couple of opportunities to really work the ball and it turned the ball either way easily.

They should stay solidly in the bag for a while.

Built a set of DMB's last week. Can't wait to try them.

I am used to my Ping G25's and these things look awesome at address, but a little intimidating. They seem to be 25% smaller than my Ping heads - super sharp top line. Anxious to try them out.

Mr. Wolfe

Hi Wolfe, would love to hear your thoughts compared to the G25. Those g25 are pretty forgiving, high launch, so I think that is a good baseline comparison to the DBMs. THanks,

So far, only 1 round with them so I can't say much. I will give my review in a couple of weeks after playing them a few times. They look awesome at address, but tiny compared to the G25.

Mr. Wolfe

I've been hawking this thread for weeks now debating on DMB vs MMB.

currently playing a set of Acer XF Pro with FST 125 Pro's X stiff.

I don't know my speeds off the top of my head for my irons, but my 6 iron is my 180 carry here in the PNW.

I'm thinking of the MMB-17 black, with the KBS tour shafts? I've read that the MMB doesn't balloon as much as the DMB, however I'm used to higher ball flight playing the Hireko's for the last 3 years.

I've played Apollo 105, too light for me. Really enjoying the weight of the 125. Helps my timing alot.

I'm in college right now, so I'm trying my best to do this without a fitter. I hit the PX LZ 6.0 and loved them, Ctaper is too boardy for me.

Do you guys have any alternatives that are a little more affordable than the 2 above?? I'm leaning towards KBS Tour Stiff since I know the FST play soft to flex.

I do like the FSTs, so I'm not obliged to change, just wanted some insight.

I don't know my speeds off the top of my head for my irons, but my 6 iron is my 180 carry here in the PNW.

I'm thinking of the MMB-17 black, with the KBS tour shafts? I've read that the MMB doesn't balloon as much as the DMB, however I'm used to higher ball flight playing the Hireko's for the last 3 years.

I've played Apollo 105, too light for me. Really enjoying the weight of the 125. Helps my timing alot.

I'm in college right now, so I'm trying my best to do this without a fitter. I hit the PX LZ 6.0 and loved them, Ctaper is too boardy for me.

Do you guys have any alternatives that are a little more affordable than the 2 above?? I'm leaning towards KBS Tour Stiff since I know the FST play soft to flex.

As for the shafts that you're looking at, I really can't help you there. I play the Nippon N.S. Pro 950 (95g) S flex (pretty light shaft). That said, my 6i carry is about 185 - 190 yds. I just happen have a very smooth tempo swing and the lighter shaft really works for me. My swing speeds are higher (very controlled) with the lighter shaft which is why I'm able to hit a more standard lofted, smaller club just as far as my previous strong-lofted GI's.

I play the DBM's. I was really digging the "simplicity is beauty" factor about these and they are absolutely lights-out stunning! Originally I was concerned with the "ballooning" or "much higher" flight comments that I too had read about.. especially with a shaft that's rated for mid/high trajectory. After speaking with GW's Britt Lindsey, I was put at ease with the combo but the answer came with a few questions from Britt about my style of play. My swing is a pretty Mid-planed swing and as previously stated, smooth tempo'd. He mentioned that if my down swing were steeper then I might have more to worry about. Ultimately I was looking for a mid/high trajectory with relatively moderate spin and he said that this combo should work well for me.. Thus far they have lived up to every expectation. I honestly can't say that there is one thing disappointing about the club and setup. I had also read things about fatter sole width, longer club, etc.. When compared to any of the big-name clubs in its class (forged, CB, transition blade, blade), it fits right in. In the looks department I think it KO's 95% of the clubs out there (I would also group Maltby's other forged in the good looks class). I haven't played a round yet where somebody isn't asking about them.

As for the shafts that you're looking at, I really can't help you there. I play the Nippon N.S. Pro 950 (95g) S flex (pretty light shaft). That said, my 6i carry is about 185 - 190 yds. I just happen have a very smooth tempo swing and the lighter shaft really works for me. My swing speeds are higher (very controlled) with the lighter shaft which is why I'm able to hit a more standard lofted, smaller club just as far as my previous strong-lofted GI's.

I play the DBM's. I was really digging the "simplicity is beauty" factor about these and they are absolutely lights-out stunning! Originally I was concerned with the "ballooning" or "much higher" flight comments that I too had read about.. especially with a shaft that's rated for mid/high trajectory. After speaking with GW's Britt Lindsey, I was put at ease with the combo but the answer came with a few questions from Britt about my style of play. My swing is a pretty Mid-planed swing and as previously stated, smooth tempo'd. He mentioned that if my down swing were steeper then I might have more to worry about. Ultimately I was looking for a mid/high trajectory with relatively moderate spin and he said that this combo should work well for me.. Thus far they have lived up to every expectation. I honestly can't say that there is one thing disappointing about the club and setup. I had also read things about fatter sole width, longer club, etc.. When compared to any of the big-name clubs in its class (forged, CB, transition blade, blade), it fits right in. In the looks department I think it KO's 95% of the clubs out there (I would also group Maltby's other forged in the good looks class). I haven't played a round yet where somebody isn't asking about them.

I just booked a session with a fitter I know quite well.

May or may not get sucked into purchasing a set of MP 18, but I'll try to hold off. Take the info from the fitting session and hopefully I can price out a set of MMB's.

I have the MMB Blacks with KBS Tour 105S shafts. I have played the FST 125 as well as the 950 GH. The KBS play just a bit stiffer than both of those shafts and are just about perfect for me. I only have to rounds in and I already have 18 holes in at under par.

Do not,, do not buy an OEM set over these MMB irons. All you are getting is a more expensive iron. Do a fitting and figure out the shaft/length/lie that works for you and them build your own clubs,, or have Golfworks assemble them for you.

May or may not get sucked into purchasing a set of MP 18, but I'll try to hold off. Take the info from the fitting session and hopefully I can price out a set of MMB's.

oh no! the MP 18's are in my aforementioned 5% of clubs that are as good looking as the Maltbys. Don't be dissuaded by their beauty! I actually used the MP18 SC's in a "fitting" situation to determine if I could comfortably move from GI to blades as well as to help sort through the shaft options. Oh they were things of beauty.. felt superb But the $1200 price tag still couldn't hold a candle to the Maltby $400 ticket so it was still a no brainer.. and the DBM's (I'm sure MMB's and PTM's) feel and look just as nice. I've since been able to take the Maldby's back to compare side by side with the MP18's and do not regret my decision one bit. Plus, they almost have that "exotic" factor to them. People ask questions, you catch them secretly eyeballing your set.. not recognizing the M stamp brand but also not dismissing the beautiful craftsmanship and probably assume that you paid PXG prices for them. You almost want to lie and tell them they're hand crafted by artisan golf metal smiths in the French Alps (not sure why golf metal smiths in the French Alps makes any sense at all) and they come with a 2 year waiting period while they personally mine and smelt the Iron ore to be forged one club at a time.. oh the price?.. "just know that you can't afford them" I haven't actually done that.. but I'm sure with the right poker face and displacement of morals, you could probably get away with it. It's a fun club to be in :)

oh no! the MP 18's are in my aforementioned 5% of clubs that are as good looking as the Maltbys. Don't be dissuaded by their beauty! I actually used the MP18 SC's in a "fitting" situation to determine if I could comfortably move from GI to blades as well as to help sort through the shaft options. Oh they were things of beauty.. felt superb But the $1200 price tag still couldn't hold a candle to the Maltby $400 ticket so it was still a no brainer.. and the DBM's (I'm sure MMB's and PTM's) feel and look just as nice. I've since been able to take the Maldby's back to compare side by side with the MP18's and do not regret my decision one bit. Plus, they almost have that "exotic" factor to them. People ask questions, you catch them secretly eyeballing your set.. not recognizing the M stamp brand but also not dismissing the beautiful craftsmanship and probably assume that you paid PXG prices for them. You almost want to lie and tell them they're hand crafted by artisan golf metal smiths in the French Alps (not sure why golf metal smiths in the French Alps makes any sense at all) and they come with a 2 year waiting period while they personally mine and smelt the Iron ore to be forged one club at a time.. oh the price?.. "just know that you can't afford them" I haven't actually done that.. but I'm sure with the right poker face and displacement of morals, you could probably get away with it. It's a fun club to be in :)

I have no problem playing component name clubs. Like I said. I've been in the Acer line from hireko for 5 years now with a few different shafts in those heads. As I've lowered my handicap, I've noticed how important the shafts are.

The only golfworks pack that might work is the KBS tour in Xstiff. Still that is $590 for the pack. I'm not a fan of tour velvets, So I'd replace grips with GP MCC 4.

I priced out a set of Px shafts, Nippon Pro 3 120x as they weren't included in the pack. Plus the grips. I had a total of 967 CDN.

JPX-900 Tours are on sale for $1300 right now. Mp-18 are 1500.

At that price, I would take the mizzy's assuming they play for me just for the resale value..

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to play the MMBs, as they look incredible and is what I'm looking for in my iron.