2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

I wish Golfworks had a demo program, like you pay $X and they send you a 7-iron built standard with steel shaft, then you had 30 days to try it and send it back and get a portion of the $X applied to a full set if you purchase. If you didn't send it back in time you then get charged the full price of that iron. That way you could at least see the heads in hand and on the course a bit before you somewhat-blindly buy a set of irons that won't have a whole lot of resale value if they don't work.

I thought I saw something about a return policy, but don't remember it and whether it had a provision in here about clubs that have been built and hit

I found this on their website....I think you could try 7 iron like the you wanted this way.

45-Day Satisfaction Guarantee

If you are not completely satisfied with a product, return it for a full credit or exchange - your choice. We give you 45 days from the shipping date. Some restrictions apply, please contact customer service if you have any questions on these restrictions below at 1-800 848-8358.

• Shafts must be new or installed/prepped by The GolfWorks to qualify for a refund.
  • Call tags will only be issued due to an error by The GolfWorks on an order or a defective product.
  • All return items are subject to inspection before a credit is authorized.
  • The GolfWorks reserves the right to issue credits to the original method of payment or an in house credit to be used on a future order.
  • All returns must have a Return Authorization number provided by GolfWorks Customer Service, before they will be accepted at The GolfWorks.

[b][color=#000080]Driver[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]M3; 10[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]3 Wood[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour TC; 16[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Mizuno Fli-Hi; 21[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Hybrid 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby KE4 Tour HDI Hybrid; 25[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]5 iron to PW[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby MMB[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 1[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Maltby Tour Grind MG; 52[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Wedge 2[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Maltby CER; 56[/i][/color]
[color=#000080]Wedge 3[/color] - [i][color=#0000cd]Callaway PM Wedge; 64[/color][/i]
[color=#000080]Putter[/color] - [color=#0000cd][i]Ping Zing 2[/i][/color][/b]

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTM Black have been ordered.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Not trying to thread jack, however...

Anyone know if the black finish can be stripped off to a raw finish in the same process the black vokey's have been done in other threads? I have the M-Series wedge and want to remove the paint fill and stripe to raw if possible.

I was trying to remove some rust spots from an MG grind wedge with the DBM finish. I used some Barkeepers Friend and while it did catch the rust, it definitely lightened the finish to more gray. Have to believe it could be done with harsher chemicals or solvents.

Not trying to thread jack, however...

Anyone know if the black finish can be stripped off to a raw finish in the same process the black vokey's have been done in other threads? I have the M-Series wedge and want to remove the paint fill and stripe to raw if possible.

I doubt it as it is more durable than chrome finishes. I know you can grind it off, I was trying to grind off 30 grams to make a single length SW but that's a little different....

The 6th article compares the finishes hardness.

https://www.golfworks.com/articles-editorials/a/197/

It's too bad GW won't offer the MMB Black as single heads vs the 4-GW set. I would like to buy 8,9,P,G in the MMB and 5,6,7 in the DBM

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

PTM Black have been ordered.

What shafts are you going with? My MMB 6 iron with MPF Iron shaft is coming in today, regretting the purchase of 24hr cure epoxy.....

Xcaliber tour x shafts.

So the DBM 4-GW and MG Tour Grind wedges finally arrived. Have not had a chance to test drive them but they look very similar in shape and size to my Nike VPCs. A touch longer blade length but overall very close. The constant offset does make the longer irons look very intimidating though.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

It's too bad GW won't offer the MMB Black as single heads vs the 4-GW set. I would like to buy 8,9,P,G in the MMB and 5,6,7 in the DBM.

Give them a call, they might be able to help you out. I talked to them a few days ago and they'll sub shafts/grips in the club paks even though they say their set on their website. Heads are a little different but who knows.

It's too bad GW won't offer the MMB Black as single heads vs the 4-GW set. I would like to buy 8,9,P,G in the MMB and 5,6,7 in the DBM.

Give them a call, they might be able to help you out. I talked to them a few days ago and they'll sub shafts/grips in the club paks even though they say their set on their website. Heads are a little different but who knows.

I did ask them and they told me they won't offer them separately.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

It's too bad GW won't offer the MMB Black as single heads vs the 4-GW set. I would like to buy 8,9,P,G in the MMB and 5,6,7 in the DBM

Ditto the PTM's . . .

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Gotta decide if i want to go with the Maltby wedges or spend lots more on the Ping Stealth ones.

I currently game the original glides and love them. But I think my OCD will kick in with the PTM in the bag and have chrome Glides in the bag. The stealth are $140 ea. Think I can get 2 maltbys for that price. Which Maltby wedge is best? They have 2 types.

Gotta decide if i want to go with the Maltby wedges or spend lots more on the Ping Stealth ones.

I currently game the original glides and love them. But I think my OCD will kick in with the PTM in the bag and have chrome Glides in the bag. The stealth are $140 ea. Think I can get 2 maltbys for that price. Which Maltby wedge is best? They have 2 types.

I think they are the same. It just depends if the tour versions have the lofts you want or you want the different sole widths for the course you play. I'm going to go with the M+ as I want to test out a 62*. Plus if you ever want to test another loft or sole width you can get another head cheap while keeping everything uniform.

The new Cobra black wedges use the same DBM finish as the Maltby irons, so there's that to consider.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

Hey folks I'm back! I received my DBM's yesterday.. oh my.. They are stunning!! Here's my setup (pics on the way) DBM 4-GW, Nippon N.S. 950GH shaft, Std. blue Pure Pro grips (+2 wraps + 2/3 bottom up + 2 lower hand wraps). KE4 Tour 3H + black Pure Wrap. First off, all of my worries about sole width and toe length have been quietly put to rest. While they are a tad long in the toe, they're just on the longer side of the bladed category iron and that’s nothing to take issue with. I'm pretty sure I tested some blades at PGATSS that were just as long but thicker on the top and not nearly as attractive at address. Hitting them, I felt like I was in a Ginsu knife infomercial.. It just moved through the ball and grass like a hot knife through butter.. but providing just enough feedback when needed. I had a few thin mishits that still found the sky but were right down the pipe and were completely playable shots. A toe shot here and a heal shot there.. but nothing that just seemed to put the ball out of play. (the real test will be at the course this weekend)

Now one thing that I completely took a gamble on that I feel paid off was to have the 6, 5, 4, and 3h cut to -.25 while the 7-GW were +.25 to meet my height specs (6' 2"). My 6 and 7 are the exact same length. My logic: +/- .25" is pretty negligible when it comes to swing weight change so I wasn't too worried about the feel but I did have my reservations about proper gapping. I was able to slip away to the range at lunch just to cycle through the lineup and get some playing feedback. I will tell you this.. whether it was in my head or actually physically made a difference, I had absolutely no issues hitting the 4, 5, and 6. And I could tell that the gapping still seemed to be good. I was bouncing back and forth between my 7 and 6 to see if the same length would cause an issue and they seemed to be gapped right where they should be. With the longer irons -.25 from standard and the shorter irons +.25, technically speaking, my longer irons are .5” shorter relative to the set so that’s a bit of a difference when it comes to adding a little extra control and keeping swing weights somewhat in-tact. I'm going to PGATSS this evening to run through all of the clubs to get yardage and gapping so hopefully this will hold true. I was worried coming from a GI Single Length set that only went to 5i and having a 4h to cover the difference that I would have a couple of clubs that I wouldn't enjoy hitting. No way Jose'!! Every club felt comfortable and not too long or too short.

Now let’s talk about that Hybrid.. The KE4 Tour 3h may soon become my new favorite club in the bag.. I just can’t let my Cobra King 60* know about it. The club felt a bit heavier than my previous 4h from another company.. but that thing moves the ball! I’m really excited to see what sort of numbers I can pull out of it tonight. I just hope it doesn’t go further than 240 or else I’ll have to throw my cobra 4w out of the bag. I was able to shape shots just as if it were an iron. The profile is pretty sleek and somewhat minimalist, and not overly hybrid/fairway wood looking. The flat black just fits right in with the irons too. I also opted for the Maltby house shaft (MPF Pro) rather than the Kuro Kage. The shaft is pretty killer looking with the flat black and chrome and red lettering and feels like I’m swinging a lightsaber with a hybrid at the end of it. Looks, feel, and sound are all 10’s with this club!

I’m going to be working on removing the white paint fill numbers and the MPF rating on the hosel (very unnecessary). I’ll be doing a metallic silver paint fill on the numbers. Once completed, I’ll provide my pics and comparisons with other “big-box” blade style clubs just to get some profile ideas. So far I’m 100% jacked about these clubs and feel that I ended up with exactly what I was after.

Still interested to hear about the PTM and MMB’s so let’s keep this thread alive! :)

Right on man, glad you're stoked with the new irons. That KE4 hybrid is awesome as well - looks so good. Can't wait to see some pics. What irons are these replacing? How did the distances compare?

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

Right on man, glad you're stoked with the new irons. That KE4 hybrid is awesome as well - looks so good. Can't wait to see some pics. What irons are these replacing? How did the distances compare?

So after spending about 2 hours at the launch monitor last night, I actually found that my yardage was nearly identical to my previous GI set. Once I was warmed up and was in a nice groove with the clubs, I was hitting past my previous yardages. My former clubs were also 4* stronger. I would imagine that the lighter shafts and smaller heads are helping me pick up some swing speed to help pick up the extra yardage. The clubs that I previously played are these http://gigagolf.com/...m=MI-GGTM20-SET Gigagolf is somewhat similar to Maltby/Golfworks. They kind of fall on the Pinemeadow side of component clubs where they primarily build the clubs but let you customize the build as where Maltby primarily supplies builders with the components and has the option to build your set if desired. Gigagolf has some pretty solid stuff.. but I'm just learning that Maltby is just more ahead of the curve with a lot of their products.

Here are my yardages and gappings. 10 yds between most and 15 yds between a couple. My 3h is the biggest jump but that's flat out. If I make a 3/4 swing, I was hitting 210 on the nose every time. The flight of these clubs is high-ish but not overkill. My previous clubs were too high with low spin and I relied more on descent rather than spin to control the stop.. I had a lot of bouncing off the green (common here in AZ). Spin rates are up on all of the clubs but are right were I think they should be. Much more spin on the longer irons without ballooning which I think will be helpful for longer approach shots.

GW - 120

PW - 135

9 - 145

8 - 160

7 - 170

6 - 180

5 - 190

4 - 200

3h - 220

Final note.. all of these clubs are just so ridiculously consistent and fun to hit. After about 30 shots with each club, I just had a solid multi-colored line going to the green with no really bad shots to note. I've now got a slight baby fade.. which I can totally deal with and not a pull hook due to massive offset like my previous GI's. This is talking about the entire lineup.. not just the shorter clubs.

Got my chrome 6 mmb iron in and it looks awesome. Got the MPF shaft and have to agree with AZstu that it looks awesome. Have it glued up and just have to wait 24hrs... What moron buys 24hr epoxy?

That's some nice use of the baby changing table there :P Please do report on the Maltby iron graphite shaft. Looking at the specs and write-up.. it looks like they may be in the same ballpark UST Recoils.? at 85g mid/high flight, I could possibly consider putting them on my 4-6.. and would look pretty killer with the DBM finish.

I have my Black PTM's in play. I have a question though. I know they are forged. I currently have head covers on them. If I remove the head covers, how easily will they pick up bag chatter? I am not apposed to continuing to use head covers. I don't personally care what people think about using them. However, I would remove them if the PTM's don't ding easily.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Got my chrome 6 mmb iron in and it looks awesome. Got the MPF shaft and have to agree with AZstu that it looks awesome. Have it glued up and just have to wait 24hrs... What moron buys 24hr epoxy?

That's some nice use of the baby changing table there :P Please do report on the Maltby iron graphite shaft. Looking at the specs and write-up.. it looks like they may be in the same ballpark UST Recoils.? at 85g mid/high flight, I could possibly consider putting them on my 4-6.. and would look pretty killer with the DBM finish.

The bathroom is the only heated room in the barn so that seemed like a convenient place :) I've only ever hit heavy steel shafts so I can't compare it to recoils, main reason I got the test iron is I wanted these shafts in the full MMB black set. I'll still let you know how they feel.

The bathroom is the only heated room in the barn so that seemed like a convenient place :) I've only ever hit heavy steel shafts so I can't compare it to recoils, main reason I got the test iron is I wanted these shafts in the full MMB black set. I'll still let you know how they feel.

yeah that would be a killer looking setup for sure! I didn't know much about the recoils either until the guy at PGATSS set one up for me on a TM P770. It felt awesome and had all of the flight characteristics of a mid/high steel shaft.. And not whippy and soft like you'd think a graphite would be. I think it was in the 85-90 g range. I guess newer tech is allowing companies to blend the best of both worlds these days. I opted for the Nippon NS 950s because I just didn't know much about the recoils when I put my set together.. And I probably wouldn't have even paid any attention knowing they were graphite.

I’m going 95g graphite (steel woven fibers” to be exact. First time for me. Hoping it helps the tennis elbow issues.

A great looking iron but why use the ugly O-Ring as opposed to a ferrule?

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Want to hear how you like that shaft.

Hey folks I'm back! I received my DBM's yesterday.. oh my.. They are stunning!! Here's my setup (pics on the way) DBM 4-GW, Nippon N.S. 950GH shaft, Std. blue Pure Pro grips (+2 wraps + 2/3 bottom up + 2 lower hand wraps). KE4 Tour 3H + black Pure Wrap. First off, all of my worries about sole width and toe length have been quietly put to rest. While they are a tad long in the toe, they're just on the longer side of the bladed category iron and that’s nothing to take issue with. I'm pretty sure I tested some blades at PGATSS that were just as long but thicker on the top and not nearly as attractive at address. Hitting them, I felt like I was in a Ginsu knife infomercial.. It just moved through the ball and grass like a hot knife through butter.. but providing just enough feedback when needed. I had a few thin mishits that still found the sky but were right down the pipe and were completely playable shots. A toe shot here and a heal shot there.. but nothing that just seemed to put the ball out of play. (the real test will be at the course this weekend)

Now one thing that I completely took a gamble on that I feel paid off was to have the 6, 5, 4, and 3h cut to -.25 while the 7-GW were +.25 to meet my height specs (6' 2"). My 6 and 7 are the exact same length. My logic: +/- .25" is pretty negligible when it comes to swing weight change so I wasn't too worried about the feel but I did have my reservations about proper gapping. I was able to slip away to the range at lunch just to cycle through the lineup and get some playing feedback. I will tell you this.. whether it was in my head or actually physically made a difference, I had absolutely no issues hitting the 4, 5, and 6. And I could tell that the gapping still seemed to be good. I was bouncing back and forth between my 7 and 6 to see if the same length would cause an issue and they seemed to be gapped right where they should be. With the longer irons -.25 from standard and the shorter irons +.25, technically speaking, my longer irons are .5” shorter relative to the set so that’s a bit of a difference when it comes to adding a little extra control and keeping swing weights somewhat in-tact. I'm going to PGATSS this evening to run through all of the clubs to get yardage and gapping so hopefully this will hold true. I was worried coming from a GI Single Length set that only went to 5i and having a 4h to cover the difference that I would have a couple of clubs that I wouldn't enjoy hitting. No way Jose'!! Every club felt comfortable and not too long or too short.

Now let’s talk about that Hybrid.. The KE4 Tour 3h may soon become my new favorite club in the bag.. I just can’t let my Cobra King 60* know about it. The club felt a bit heavier than my previous 4h from another company.. but that thing moves the ball! I’m really excited to see what sort of numbers I can pull out of it tonight. I just hope it doesn’t go further than 240 or else I’ll have to throw my cobra 4w out of the bag. I was able to shape shots just as if it were an iron. The profile is pretty sleek and somewhat minimalist, and not overly hybrid/fairway wood looking. The flat black just fits right in with the irons too. I also opted for the Maltby house shaft (MPF Pro) rather than the Kuro Kage. The shaft is pretty killer looking with the flat black and chrome and red lettering and feels like I’m swinging a lightsaber with a hybrid at the end of it. Looks, feel, and sound are all 10’s with this club!

I’m going to be working on removing the white paint fill numbers and the MPF rating on the hosel (very unnecessary). I’ll be doing a metallic silver paint fill on the numbers. Once completed, I’ll provide my pics and comparisons with other “big-box” blade style clubs just to get some profile ideas. So far I’m 100% jacked about these clubs and feel that I ended up with exactly what I was after.

Still interested to hear about the PTM and MMB’s so let’s keep this thread alive! :)

The clubs look great! (saw the pictures below), and I"m glad you like the hybrid. Maltby shafts are VERY underrated! I use 4 of them in the two hybrids and two fairway woods that I have and I have been impressed with the performance.

I couldn't decide, the shaft is matte black and the MMB will be too so wasn't sure I liked the glossy ferrules. I kinda liked the industrial look of the o-ring, we'll see if I still like it once I get it to the range.

I couldn't decide, the shaft is matte black and the MMB will be too so wasn't sure I liked the glossy ferrules. I kinda liked the industrial look of the o-ring, we'll see if I still like it once I get it to the range.

here is the ferrule that I went with. You couldn't really see it in the other pics. I think it's the shortest ferrule other than the o-ring style. This would definitely look better in all black.