2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Maltby DBM/MMB/TE Forged Question

jasonp87

I've been hawking this thread for weeks now debating on DMB vs MMB.

currently playing a set of Acer XF Pro with FST 125 Pro's X stiff.

I don't know my speeds off the top of my head for my irons, but my 6 iron is my 180 carry here in the PNW.

I'm thinking of the MMB-17 black, with the KBS tour shafts? I've read that the MMB doesn't balloon as much as the DMB, however I'm used to higher ball flight playing the Hireko's for the last 3 years.

I've played Apollo 105, too light for me. Really enjoying the weight of the 125. Helps my timing alot.

I'm in college right now, so I'm trying my best to do this without a fitter. I hit the PX LZ 6.0 and loved them, Ctaper is too boardy for me.

Do you guys have any alternatives that are a little more affordable than the 2 above?? I'm leaning towards KBS Tour Stiff since I know the FST play soft to flex.

I do like the FSTs, so I'm not obliged to change, just wanted some insight.

As for the shafts that you're looking at, I really can't help you there. I play the Nippon N.S. Pro 950 (95g) S flex (pretty light shaft). That said, my 6i carry is about 185 - 190 yds. I just happen have a very smooth tempo swing and the lighter shaft really works for me. My swing speeds are higher (very controlled) with the lighter shaft which is why I'm able to hit a more standard lofted, smaller club just as far as my previous strong-lofted GI's.

I play the DBM's. I was really digging the "simplicity is beauty" factor about these and they are absolutely lights-out stunning! Originally I was concerned with the "ballooning" or "much higher" flight comments that I too had read about.. especially with a shaft that's rated for mid/high trajectory. After speaking with GW's Britt Lindsey, I was put at ease with the combo but the answer came with a few questions from Britt about my style of play. My swing is a pretty Mid-planed swing and as previously stated, smooth tempo'd. He mentioned that if my down swing were steeper then I might have more to worry about. Ultimately I was looking for a mid/high trajectory with relatively moderate spin and he said that this combo should work well for me.. Thus far they have lived up to every expectation. I honestly can't say that there is one thing disappointing about the club and setup. I had also read things about fatter sole width, longer club, etc.. When compared to any of the big-name clubs in its class (forged, CB, transition blade, blade), it fits right in. In the looks department I think it KO's 95% of the clubs out there (I would also group Maltby's other forged in the good looks class). I haven't played a round yet where somebody isn't asking about them.

I just booked a session with a fitter I know quite well.

May or may not get sucked into purchasing a set of MP 18, but I'll try to hold off. Take the info from the fitting session and hopefully I can price out a set of MMB's.

oh no! the MP 18's are in my aforementioned 5% of clubs that are as good looking as the Maltbys. Don't be dissuaded by their beauty! I actually used the MP18 SC's in a "fitting" situation to determine if I could comfortably move from GI to blades as well as to help sort through the shaft options. Oh they were things of beauty.. felt superb But the $1200 price tag still couldn't hold a candle to the Maltby $400 ticket so it was still a no brainer.. and the DBM's (I'm sure MMB's and PTM's) feel and look just as nice. I've since been able to take the Maldby's back to compare side by side with the MP18's and do not regret my decision one bit. Plus, they almost have that "exotic" factor to them. People ask questions, you catch them secretly eyeballing your set.. not recognizing the M stamp brand but also not dismissing the beautiful craftsmanship and probably assume that you paid PXG prices for them. You almost want to lie and tell them they're hand crafted by artisan golf metal smiths in the French Alps (not sure why golf metal smiths in the French Alps makes any sense at all) and they come with a 2 year waiting period while they personally mine and smelt the Iron ore to be forged one club at a time.. oh the price?.. "just know that you can't afford them" I haven't actually done that.. but I'm sure with the right poker face and displacement of morals, you could probably get away with it. It's a fun club to be in :)

I have no problem playing component name clubs. Like I said. I've been in the Acer line from hireko for 5 years now with a few different shafts in those heads. As I've lowered my handicap, I've noticed how important the shafts are.

The only golfworks pack that might work is the KBS tour in Xstiff. Still that is $590 for the pack. I'm not a fan of tour velvets, So I'd replace grips with GP MCC 4.

I priced out a set of Px shafts, Nippon Pro 3 120x as they weren't included in the pack. Plus the grips. I had a total of 967 CDN.

JPX-900 Tours are on sale for $1300 right now. Mp-18 are 1500.

At that price, I would take the mizzy's assuming they play for me just for the resale value..

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to play the MMBs, as they look incredible and is what I'm looking for in my iron.

Just an FYI, Golfworks doesn't just sell those packs as they are shown. If there's a different shaft or grip from their catalog that you prefer, and if it's the same price as the shaft/grip included in the pack, they'll let you swap them at no cost as long as the price point is the same or lower and still charge the pack price. If the shaft that you want happens to be more, they'll just charge the difference in the shafts and add it to the pack price. I went with the DBM/KBS Tour pack and swapped out the KBS with the Nippon N.S Pro 950GH and swapped the Tour Velvets for the Pure Pro's. If I recall I just had to pay about $12 more for the grip upgrade but the shafts were at no extra charge. Hopefully that was somewhat helpful.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hawking this thread for weeks now debating on DMB vs MMB.

currently playing a set of Acer XF Pro with FST 125 Pro's X stiff.

I don't know my speeds off the top of my head for my irons, but my 6 iron is my 180 carry here in the PNW.

I'm thinking of the MMB-17 black, with the KBS tour shafts? I've read that the MMB doesn't balloon as much as the DMB, however I'm used to higher ball flight playing the Hireko's for the last 3 years.

I've played Apollo 105, too light for me. Really enjoying the weight of the 125. Helps my timing alot.

I'm in college right now, so I'm trying my best to do this without a fitter. I hit the PX LZ 6.0 and loved them, Ctaper is too boardy for me.

Do you guys have any alternatives that are a little more affordable than the 2 above?? I'm leaning towards KBS Tour Stiff since I know the FST play soft to flex.

I do like the FSTs, so I'm not obliged to change, just wanted some insight.

As for the shafts that you're looking at, I really can't help you there. I play the Nippon N.S. Pro 950 (95g) S flex (pretty light shaft). That said, my 6i carry is about 185 - 190 yds. I just happen have a very smooth tempo swing and the lighter shaft really works for me. My swing speeds are higher (very controlled) with the lighter shaft which is why I'm able to hit a more standard lofted, smaller club just as far as my previous strong-lofted GI's.

I play the DBM's. I was really digging the "simplicity is beauty" factor about these and they are absolutely lights-out stunning! Originally I was concerned with the "ballooning" or "much higher" flight comments that I too had read about.. especially with a shaft that's rated for mid/high trajectory. After speaking with GW's Britt Lindsey, I was put at ease with the combo but the answer came with a few questions from Britt about my style of play. My swing is a pretty Mid-planed swing and as previously stated, smooth tempo'd. He mentioned that if my down swing were steeper then I might have more to worry about. Ultimately I was looking for a mid/high trajectory with relatively moderate spin and he said that this combo should work well for me.. Thus far they have lived up to every expectation. I honestly can't say that there is one thing disappointing about the club and setup. I had also read things about fatter sole width, longer club, etc.. When compared to any of the big-name clubs in its class (forged, CB, transition blade, blade), it fits right in. In the looks department I think it KO's 95% of the clubs out there (I would also group Maltby's other forged in the good looks class). I haven't played a round yet where somebody isn't asking about them.

I just booked a session with a fitter I know quite well.

May or may not get sucked into purchasing a set of MP 18, but I'll try to hold off. Take the info from the fitting session and hopefully I can price out a set of MMB's.

oh no! the MP 18's are in my aforementioned 5% of clubs that are as good looking as the Maltbys. Don't be dissuaded by their beauty! I actually used the MP18 SC's in a "fitting" situation to determine if I could comfortably move from GI to blades as well as to help sort through the shaft options. Oh they were things of beauty.. felt superb But the $1200 price tag still couldn't hold a candle to the Maltby $400 ticket so it was still a no brainer.. and the DBM's (I'm sure MMB's and PTM's) feel and look just as nice. I've since been able to take the Maldby's back to compare side by side with the MP18's and do not regret my decision one bit. Plus, they almost have that "exotic" factor to them. People ask questions, you catch them secretly eyeballing your set.. not recognizing the M stamp brand but also not dismissing the beautiful craftsmanship and probably assume that you paid PXG prices for them. You almost want to lie and tell them they're hand crafted by artisan golf metal smiths in the French Alps (not sure why golf metal smiths in the French Alps makes any sense at all) and they come with a 2 year waiting period while they personally mine and smelt the Iron ore to be forged one club at a time.. oh the price?.. "just know that you can't afford them" I haven't actually done that.. but I'm sure with the right poker face and displacement of morals, you could probably get away with it. It's a fun club to be in :)

I have no problem playing component name clubs. Like I said. I've been in the Acer line from hireko for 5 years now with a few different shafts in those heads. As I've lowered my handicap, I've noticed how important the shafts are.

The only golfworks pack that might work is the KBS tour in Xstiff. Still that is $590 for the pack. I'm not a fan of tour velvets, So I'd replace grips with GP MCC 4.

I priced out a set of Px shafts, Nippon Pro 3 120x as they weren't included in the pack. Plus the grips. I had a total of 967 CDN.

JPX-900 Tours are on sale for $1300 right now. Mp-18 are 1500.

At that price, I would take the mizzy's assuming they play for me just for the resale value..

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, I would like to play the MMBs, as they look incredible and is what I'm looking for in my iron.

If you are looking for a full set and a higher priced shaft that is not offered in a club pak, then yes, you will be paying a lot closer to OEM retail. It is too bad GW does not offer paks with Nippon and PX as options, as well as shorter sets, 5 or 6 thru PW or GW.....they could simply reduce the discount level on less then full sets. I am in a similar boat as I'm testing the PTM with Modus 130 and 125, and I am set on a 6-gw set...will be the priciest set I've ever put together for myself, but I'm not worried about resale. IMO the wrong way to approach a set of clubs.....if it is the determining factor then go OEM. I like the fact.that I can test any GW product (less the dark finished mmb and ptm) with any shaft I want before I buy vs. rolling the dice.on a full OEM set!

I totally get that you can test any GW product with any shaft. but wouldn't it be more efficient and cost effective to find a shaft that works a majority of the time, and pair that with a GW head?close_popup.png

For me, that's what I'd like to do, is get fitted for an iron shaft, and then hopefully take the lie, loft, and other fitting numbers and see if I can pair that with a GW iron set. But if jpx900t is $1300 CAD, srixon 765/965 set is $1200 and a GW set with my optimal shafts is 900+

the resale value is going to be a thing for me personally.

I totally get that you can test any GW product with any shaft. but wouldn't it be more efficient and cost effective to find a shaft that works a majority of the time, and pair that with a GW head?close_popup.png

For me, that's what I'd like to do, is get fitted for an iron shaft, and then hopefully take the lie, loft, and other fitting numbers and see if I can pair that with a GW iron set. But if jpx900t is $1300 CAD, srixon 765/965 set is $1200 and a GW set with my optimal shafts is 900+

You may have previously stated this but what is your optimal shaft option? I might be able to help you find a pack that will allow an even lateral substitute. When I bought my DBM's I was fortunate to be able to spend a solid week rifling through all of the shaft options at the PGA Tour Superstore and pair them to some heads that I thought would compete with the DBM's. I was able to dial in my preference and lie angle and then place the order with GW for the set to be built.

In case you missed my previous post because it came and went pretty quickly:

"Just an FYI, Golfworks doesn't just sell those packs as they are shown. If there's a different shaft or grip from their catalog that you prefer, and if it's the same price as the shaft/grip included in the pack, they'll let you swap them at no cost as long as the price point is the same or lower and still charge the pack price. If the shaft that you want happens to be more, they'll just charge the difference in the shafts and add it to the pack price. I went with the DBM/KBS Tour pack and swapped out the KBS with the Nippon N.S Pro 950GH and swapped the Tour Velvets for the Pure Pro's. If I recall I just had to pay about $12 more for the grip upgrade but the shafts were at no extra charge. Hopefully that was somewhat helpful."

You should be sitting at no more than half the cost of the OEM's if you shop the club packs and shaft options correctly. Hopefully I'm not far off the mark here.

Lastly, I would HIGHLY suggest placing the order over the phone as it's much less confusing and ensuring than the web site. Their customer svc folks are pretty helpful and can plug into the in-shop fitters if you have any questions that they can't answer.

Lastly, I would HIGHLY suggest placing the order over the phone as it's much less confusing and ensuring than the web site. Their customer svc folks are pretty helpful and can plug into the in-shop fitters if you have any questions that they can't answer.

This, always. They try to have you cram everything into a notes area in an online order then usually call you anyways to confirm. The customer service people will then write up the notes to send off to the builders. Might as well skip the extra step.

Fyi also being in canada i can tell you the maltbys are still cheaper...

Those mizuno or srixon prices at golftown are stock prices not custom order...so if the off the rack sticks work ok...

I got a set of custom built maltby mmb irons with modus 125 X flex shafts 4-PW with lamkin z5 grips. For under 1000$ taxes and shipping included.

Even at 1300$ plus tax thats 1458 that almost 50% more expensive.

Being a component guy (mostly), I have not tried the Modus and other pricier steel shaft offerings......this will be my first try (less the Nippon 1150's, which I have used in hybrids with success) into that market. I have always been able to find good cost effective .370 shafts that work....however with fewer and fewer component companies staying in business and producing new options, selection is limited to Apollo and FST. Although TT has plenty to choose from, IMO their lower priced options are just ok (tt lite xl being a pretty darn good shaft). I ballpark know what works for me SW/moi wise, as well as length and lie....i need heavy steel, mid and lite weight simply don't work, also know what grips and size I like.

Anyways, imo demoing is the only way to know for sure....you might get the specs you need with an OEM fitting, but once you order a completely different component set, it's still a crapshoot imo as to whether you'll like the performance. Plus you'll be paying for the fitting....wouldn't the OEM fitter subtract the cost or a portion of the cost of the fitting if you bought from them?

If I buy from the fitter, the fitting fee is waived.

If GW would substitute the KBS tour shafts for whatever shaft fits me then sure. I didn't realize the flexibility that the consumer had if they called over the phone.

I can say I started out playing golf 6 years ago as life after hockey happened. I started in the FST 95, then the Apollo black chrome 105, now the FST pro 125.

I've played 9 holes with friends irons, which included mizunos jpx 900 ctaper, Nike pro fly with s300. My old tour preferred had a set of oz 5.5. I've played around with alot but haven't had the budget to indulge.

I'll definately see what golfworks can do with regards to substituting shafts in the MMB black pack. That club head is so dreamy....

Thanks for all the input fellas.

I'll keep ya posted if anybody's interested.

If GW would substitute the KBS tour shafts for whatever shaft fits me then sure. I didn't realize the flexibility that the consumer had if they called over the phone.

I can say I started out playing golf 6 years ago as life after hockey happened. I started in the FST 95, then the Apollo black chrome 105, now the FST pro 125.

I've played 9 holes with friends irons, which included mizunos jpx 900 ctaper, Nike pro fly with s300. My old tour preferred had a set of oz 5.5. I've played around with alot but haven't had the budget to indulge.

I'll definately see what golfworks can do with regards to substituting shafts in the MMB black pack. That club head is so dreamy....

Always interested! Looking forward to your feedback

Always interested! Looking forward to your feedback

Ditto.....in looking at the paks online, they do offer the standard mmb with KBS tour shafts, note they are .370 version. They also offer standard version with the kbs tour custom (black) which are.the .355 version. Also offer the mmb black with KBS tour, although this is where it is tricky, as in the narrative says KBS tour at top of page, when you scroll down to the red print which individually links the heads and the shafts, the link narrative says KBS tour 105, but when you click the link it links the standard weight KBS tour .370. likely a typo.

Research the .370 vs. .355 as there is a difference in profile....do a search on wrx.

Like Ode and AZStu said GW will swap packs when you call. I purchased a MMB black pak with some kbs shaft and had the Maltby MPF shaft, different grips and different ferrules put on. Even asked for the grips left off as I like to blow them on myself. Just a note if the item you want is more expensive than the pak item they will up charge you the difference. If the item is cheaper they will not lower the pak price. My shafts were $20 vs the ~$26 kbs so I had the base pak price before changing the grips.

So I went to golftown here, and got to try jpx900t and mp18 as I felt they would be equal-ish to the MMBs

I was able to try out a bunch of shafts, and do my own fitting. Note that I'm a little steep, more of a trapper. I have really worked on flattening out and have had found great success in the last few months, divots are way shallower and dispersion is much tighter.

Grabbed some of the fancy ping tape, learned I need 1degree flat, and I did all my actual testing with the jpx900T

with 6iron, ball speed was avg 131.2MPH, club head speed was 92.6 avg. V.Angle was around 16.4 on average.

Found out some numbers, Eliminated PX 6.0, 6.5 as well as the LZ 6.0 6.5 - spin rates were about 8000 with 6 iron.

KBS TOUR in S spun about 7400rpm, still too spinny for my liking. Tried the X and I had trouble getting the club head to come around.

I don't know what it was about the Nippon 120 and 130 but I had trouble loading them.

Found my best numbers with the C-taper S and the S300.

with the Ctaper. 134.3 avg ball speed | 6158 rpm | 191 carry | 202 distance ( 10 swing average )

with the DG s300 131.4 avg ball speed | 6440 rpm | 187 carry | 199 distance ( 10 swings )

Had trouble hitting a draw with the Ctaper, but felt the tip spring but the miss was big fade. I could move the s300 left and right and the miss was a smaller fade than ctaper.

That being said. Of those that have the MMB's, in your opinion how do you think they'll play compared to the jpx900. My goal for these new shafts is to lower spin, as with my current FST pro 125 shafts, my 6 iron spin rates are almost 8000 rpm and I'm really struggling playing in the wind. I was always told the spin should be whatever the iron is X 1000. For the 6 iron, in the Ctaper S and DG s300 I'm right in that wheelhouse with solid distances.

Would love some thoughts as you all have been playing this game way longer than me. Thanks!

Yeah but the blacks look sexy ?

I tried the x100 with the 900t. I felt like it was bulletproof.

I think hardstepping the s300 one time should do it for me. The ctaper were nice but the dispersion wasn't as tight as the DG. The ctaper tho just launched low and kept going forever. DG launched a little higher but the spin numbers were where they needed to be.

Never thought I'd play a DG shaft but here we are.

Thanks for all your help fellas.

Gonna put in an order this weekend for the MMB black, s300 hard step once.

Throw on some lamkins utx or pure dtx and away we go.

Thanks for letting me know you can call in and modify the packs. Hoping this set comes in at $500.

Yeah but the blacks look sexy ?

I tried the x100 with the 900t. I felt like it was bulletproof.

I think hardstepping the s300 one time should do it for me. The ctaper were nice but the dispersion wasn't as tight as the DG. The ctaper tho just launched low and kept going forever. DG launched a little higher but the spin numbers were where they needed to be.

Never thought I'd play a DG shaft but here we are.

Thanks for all your help fellas.

Gonna put in an order this weekend for the MMB black, s300 hard step once.

Throw on some lamkins utx or pure dtx and away we go.

Thanks for letting me know you can call in and modify the packs. Hoping this set comes in at $500.

Should be well below $500 USD.. Not sure what the conversion or cost is for you Northeners but hopefully it hits the numbers that you're after.. And when you get them, you MUST post pictures. :)

Just a side note, when you talk to customer service, be sure to ask if the free shipping promo they run every couple of months includes Canada. I'm not sure but it's definitely worth asking.

Good luck!

So after finding a shaft that I like with them, I can't see why I'd want anything other than the mmb. My scores keep getting lower. They bail out my mishits, and I like that I can straight replace single heads as they wear out. Not my ideal in looks but man do they just flat out perform.

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3

Been playing the mizuno jpx ez forged exclusively so far this year with mixed results. Pulled out the Maltby TEs yesterday from the basement and went out and shot a 79 (real rarity for me).

I know it's just one round but the TEs are so forgiving (more so than the jpx forged). And the feel off the club face is incredible. Maybe that partially was the result of using a Callaway Supersoft ball.

15 hcp

Been playing the mizuno jpx ez forged exclusively so far this year with mixed results. Pulled out the Maltby TEs yesterday from the basement and went out and shot a 79 (real rarity for me).

I know it's just one round but the TEs are so forgiving (more so than the jpx forged). And the feel off the club face is incredible. Maybe that partially was the result of using a Callaway Supersoft ball.

Funny you mention it may have been a ball. In this day and age of endless ball choices you can really dial in feel with different balls. Playing a forged head I find ball selection to be even more important.

• 2 months later...

It’s been a few months, how is everyone liking the PTMs and have anybody else picked up DBMs?

I am really close to pulling the trigger on one or the other but they are neck and neck right now especially if GW will substitute the shaft options. I know I should just break down and have a single club built of each to try but then I am stuck with at least 1 random club (2 if I choose PTMs and can only get singles in chrome)

Just want to see how they are playing a few months later and see if there are any more opinions on one of the other

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

It's been a few months, how is everyone liking the PTMs and have anybody else picked up DBMs?

I am really close to pulling the trigger on one or the other but they are neck and neck right now especially if GW will substitute the shaft options. I know I should just break down and have a single club built of each to try but then I am stuck with at least 1 random club (2 if I choose PTMs and can only get singles in chrome)

Just want to see how they are playing a few months later and see if there are any more opinions on one of the other

I have a basically new DBM 4 iron you could try if you cover shipping and send it back. It's standard LLL with a S300 and standard Tacki Mac Itomic. I really think you will like the DBM's if you hit the AP2's solid...

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Played a nice club last week and all the caddies kept looking at my irons (dbm) and I have a little lead tape on the back but the M is visible. They all thought they were Miura.... they kept saying how nice they were and then I dropped the news that they are $32.99 a piece and everyone was floored. 17 months in and they are fantastic!

I see some te forged or dbm in my future. Plan on doing a club pack but am a little worried about the parallel tip shafts that come with them. Anyone played dynamic gold x100 with a parallel tip? Have played s300s for a while but am getting stronger and feel like I'm overpowering them a little.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron