Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

• 2 weeks later...

People tend to take carts there, but no reason you couldn't walk the course if you wanted to.  I always prefer walking.  Go for it.

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Played a new one for me this week: Elbel Park in South Bend.

City course played around Mud Lake.  Fun and pretty with nice views and wildlife.

Staff was excellent as were the cheeseburgers.  Loved it.  Recommend.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 8:02 AM, Bob Cat said:

Played a new one for me this week: Elbel Park in South Bend.

City course played around Mud Lake.  Fun and pretty with nice views and wildlife.

Staff was excellent as were the cheeseburgers.  Loved it.  Recommend.

Seconded. It won’t be on an awards list for Best Course or anything, but I got exactly what I hoped for and then some for $29 (played last Friday around 230pm).

Really nice views and elevation changes. Greens ran very fast for a muni. Layout was decent too, holes separated just enough to avoid golf ball dodging.

Clubhouse and 19th are underwhelming but again…$29. If you want a break from the other beastly courses in South Bend and want something more chill I strongly recommend this one. 

• Like 1

Meeting up with a few buddies in Indy in 2-3 weeks. I used to live in the area and have played many of the local courses with exception of Fort and Purgatory so we're going to knock those off the list. For the 3rd round on Saturday we're wanting to play one of the college courses (Warren, Pfau, or Kampen). ND will have a home game that Saturday but IU / Purdue are both away so that may sway some of the decision. I know they're all ranked pretty similarly but any thoughts on the best one to pick if we could only grab one? 

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

On 9/30/2022 at 12:52 PM, AUTIGER07 said:

Meeting up with a few buddies in Indy in 2-3 weeks. I used to live in the area and have played many of the local courses with exception of Fort and Purgatory so we're going to knock those off the list. For the 3rd round on Saturday we're wanting to play one of the college courses (Warren, Pfau, or Kampen). ND will have a home game that Saturday but IU / Purdue are both away so that may sway some of the decision. I know they're all ranked pretty similarly but any thoughts on the best one to pick if we could only grab one? 

I like kampen better, but play Pfau. It is one of the toughest tests in the state. 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

• 2 weeks later...

Played a $45 hot deal at Prairie View yesterday.  Would never pay my own $105 there.

If you're rack rate is $105, your bunkers should be raked and in great condition.  They were neither.

Otherwise, and aside from a recent aeration, the course was in great shape.  Enjoyed a great weather day on the course.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

31 minutes ago, Bob Cat said:

Played a $45 hot deal at Prairie View yesterday.  Would never pay my own $105 there.

If you're rack rate is $105, your bunkers should be raked and in great condition.  They were neither.

Otherwise, and aside from a recent aeration, the course was in great shape.  Enjoyed a great weather day on the course.

Sounds like a great deal! The crazy part is their rates get even higher on the weekends. I saw a $132 tee time at one point 😳

I played there last week and didn’t have any issues with the bunkers. No one prefers to play on aerated greens but they weren’t too bad. Rolled decent enough, just noticeably slower than normal. I know we haven’t gotten any rain recently, but I enjoy how they strive to keep the course firm. More courses should do that. 

• Like 1

Played brickyard last week, course was in phenomenal shape. Played firm and those greens were unreal. It’s a fantastic course, but I can’t imagine paying the full $175 to play it. 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

• 4 weeks later...

We got the same weather situation over here in Akron - went from golfing in short sleeves with firm fairways last weekend to 2" of snow the next!  We did creep back into the high 40's today though, so I'm holding out hope of an Indian Summer before the real bad stuff sets in.

Thanks to a buddy of mine I did manage to get in quite a few rounds @ Firestone CC this fall after my back started cooperating, so all in all pretty happy with the golfing year.

• Like 1

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Gdane said:

Brickyard Crossings rate is up to $200 for the 2023 season. Does the course get that much traffic to fill tee sheets at such a high price point?

I’ve never seen it stacked out there. Seems Penske would rather keep it quiet as much as possible and host events. 

If they’re going to be $200/round… will Prairie View or one of those “A” list courses around town get to $150 full freight?

East coast prices are here and me no likey. That was one of the best perks about golf here when I moved from NJ in 2015 - low cost for great courses. I know inflation, demand, etc. but it sucks. 

Not sure how you fellas are making out for winter weather over there, I'm playing tomorrow and Monday up here in sunny NE Ohio 😎

• Thanks 1

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

On 12/30/2022 at 6:58 PM, DrOldSchool said:

I’ve never seen it stacked out there. Seems Penske would rather keep it quiet as much as possible and host events. 

If they’re going to be $200/round… will Prairie View or one of those “A” list courses around town get to $150 full freight?

East coast prices are here and me no likey. That was one of the best perks about golf here when I moved from NJ in 2015 - low cost for great courses. I know inflation, demand, etc. but it sucks. 

Prairie view gets pretty darn close with their use of dynamic pricing. Last time I looked on a summer weekend I saw $138. 

I didn’t make it out to the brickyard last year mainly due to the price but everyone I’ve talked to has raved about the conditions. I know several mens clubs members have complained like crazy because they go cart path only pretty consistently in the spring and early season. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2020 at 8:57 PM, Pigator5 said:

I’m going to have to go with Mystic Hills as my favorite. Even though it wasn’t in the best shape and it’s now Jim Irsay’s, it was probably my favorite Pete Dye layout.

We loved Mystic Hills. We used to take a group of 20 there each June. We basically had our run of the place while we were there. The cabins directly off the driving range were clutch. We even turned the banquet room into a bunkhouse full of cots.

Irsay has been redesigning it. Par 71 8135 yards. "Horseshoe Farms"

Would love to do back someday.

• Like 1

Hope you IND guys have been having the same great weather we have in NE OH and getting out.  I'm going out tomorrow, supposed to reach near 70* with <5mph winds, almost unheard of for Feb. in my neighborhood!!!  I've already played about 7 rounds in 2023, hoping you all are enjoying the same mild winter!

Miss you all, hope everyone is healthy and playing well.

• Like 1

WITB:
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

• 1 month later...

Heading to Indy with group of 8 caps ranging from 5-12 for 3 days end of June.  Plan was drive in From GR play Purgatory/Bearslide Day one, 36 at Brickyard Day 2, Prairie view and the Fort day 3.  

We are thinking about mixing up tees and playing Purgatory Twice day one if we are able, Purgatory does not let you book replay rounds.  

We are staying just north of downtown, from what I read in here most of you prefer bearslide over Prairie View, but if we drop bearslide day one and swap it for Prairie View day 3 it will add some 20 min driving time in a very busy 3 day trip.  

So my questions are:

Is Bearslide worth the extra drive time over Prairie View if we drop it day one and add it day 3?  The drive drive from Bearlside to fort looks like a hike.  

We are driving in from Grand Rapids so playing Purgatory twice will simplify a very busy day one, should we just scrap the idea of playing purgatory twice and keep with the original plan.  

Thanks 

Edited by Dave Saylor

I would stay with Bear Slide and Purgatory Day 1 they are roughly 15 minutes apart... unless you absolutely love the idea of the brickyard I would skip it, or only play 18 there, its typically in great condition but its honestly nothing special other that its at IMS.  If you come down 31 Rock Hollow in Peru is a nice track as well its about the same as using 69

I would stick with the original plan instead of purgatory twice but only you guys can decide how much the convenience of 36 at Purgatory would be worth. 

Disagree a lot about The Brickyard. From a pure golf standpoint, it’s better than any course currently on your list and will be the best conditioned of the bunch. One potential downside. When it rains a bit they tend to go cart path only fairly quickly. No idea the makeup of your group but I know that can be a dealbreaker for some. 

I think bear slide is worth seeing and proximity wise they are close. Note, Bear Slide doesn’t have much to offer in the clubhouse. Not sure which would be played first, but I would recommend eating at Purgatory or getting something on the way between the two courses.

If you want to play 36 at purgatory how about using different people to book reservations? If Scott calls and makes 2 tee times at 9am, I don’t see how they could have an issue with Jim making tee times for 2:30pm. 

• Like 1

A little local knowledge:

If you haven't had enough golf there's a Top Golf off I69 as you come into Indy from the North.

I'm a big fan of the Ale Emporiums Hermanaki wings and pizza.  Bustling sports bar with tons of TV's.  Castleton area on N side.

Perhaps take in a concert at The Hi-Fi (downtown).

My fav steak place on the N side is Charlestons off I69 on 82nd st.  Good salads as well.

Morse reservoir has a few good eateries between Purgatory and Bear Slide.

Side note on Bear Slide: It's customary to wager on who can hit the water tower across the road from #3 tee box.

Great play list of courses, by the way.  REPORT BACK!

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

• 3 weeks later...

Played Winding River this past Saturday morning.  Luckily we teed off early as #1 was stacked 3 groups deep when we made the turn.  Seven minute tee time intervals might not be the greatest idea.  Add to that a six-some with four carts playing on a packed Saturday morning.  I wonder how long those rounds took.

Course was in good shape and the greens rolled smooth, but a bit slow.  It's always helpful to have dew on the greens to help read the breaks though.  #14 green is still junk.  I hoped with the slower greens that it would hold a ball.  Nope, wishful thinking.  We had multiple putts roll within a foot of the cup only to roll off the front of the green again.