Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

21 hours ago, ROOK16 said:

Played Winding River this past Saturday morning.  Luckily we teed off early as #1 was stacked 3 groups deep when we made the turn.  Seven minute tee time intervals might not be the greatest idea.  Add to that a six-some with four carts playing on a packed Saturday morning.  I wonder how long those rounds took.

Course was in good shape and the greens rolled smooth, but a bit slow.  It's always helpful to have dew on the greens to help read the breaks though.  #14 green is still junk.  I hoped with the slower greens that it would hold a ball.  Nope, wishful thinking.  We had multiple putts roll within a foot of the cup only to roll off the front of the green again.

Should NEVER have happened on a Saturday.  Bummer.  Club allowed or they regrouped into 6?

We need to get Harbor Links on the schedule again... soon... after planting the garden, fishing... sigh...

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

4 hours ago, Bob Cat said:

Should NEVER have happened on a Saturday.  Bummer.  Club allowed or they regrouped into 6?

We need to get Harbor Links on the schedule again... soon... after planting the garden, fishing... sigh...

Not sure if they allowed it but they certainly did nothing about it.  They also ran out of carts and were waiting for people coming in from 18.  Guessing they weren't the only group with an extra cart.

After all these years of you guys talking about Harbor Links, I still haven't played it.  Be honest, does the course even exist? 🙂 

• Like 1

I'm in for the Harbor Links pilgrimage whenever the weather improves. 

Haven't been active in here recently but am about to go on sabbatical for the rest of the calendar year. So I am looking forward to playing as much as possible if the back cooperates. Also won a few vouchers for private courses via Prairie View's silent auction and am looking forward to playing them - Anderson, Maple Creek, Dye's Walk, and Ulen. I've played Ulen before but not the rest. 

As for PV - they have got insanely aggressive with their dynamic pricing for this early in the year. We played it 10 days or so ago at the twilight rate, and I'd have been pissed if I payed $100+ for it in that condition. Plus the bar closed early.

• Like 1

@DrOldSchool thank you for helping support the PV caddie program and Evan’s Scholar Program. (If you’re referring to a different auction then disregard.) 

To me, Ulen is the best of the bunch. Dye’s Walk is a bit different style than the rest as it features more water and seems a bit more of a modern design. I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts after you have played them. Last I played maple creek it was pre Covid. From what I hear they’re doing better now but the place badly needed some tree maintenance. A lot of holes are the front were just too tight. 

I agree on their dynamic pricing. Last season I kept seeing weekend times for $130. Give me a break. Can’t say I’ve ever had issues with conditioning but I haven’t played it in in April or May in a long time. One thing they do that I really enjoy is keeping the course relatively firm and fast. So many courses overwater and they seem to do a good job of avoiding that. 

Yeah it was the Evans scholars thing. Not sure why I never bid in the past. But 3/4 rounds came out to $50pp or less to play, which compared to the usual suspects around here seems like a decent deal. Ulen at $72pp isn't bad either. 

PV had been partially punched, and some normal tees were not available on par 3's when we played (4/8). But they were still asking $100+ during the day. I think they hit $150 at some point this summer. 

Edited by DrOldSchool

• 2 weeks later...

Posted to the All Indiana thread already but this one looks to have much more activity and i'm sure most have played the below anyways.  Would love suggestions and advice.  I"ve planned a 16 person buddies trip for years.  All our guys coming from Metro Detroit.  I'd love some comments on the following for a four day swing in June:

Option 1:

Day 1 Travel day and play Rock Hollow on way down, stay in West Lafayette an hour away.

Day 2: 36 holes at the Purdue courses

Day 3: Wake up early and drive two hours to play ND Warren course and stay in south bend.

Day 4: head home (3 hour drive)

This option would have two nights in West Lafayette and one night in South Bend.

Option 2:

Day 1 Travel day and play Rock Hollow on way down, stay in West Lafayette an hour away.

Day 2: 36 holes at the Purdue courses

Day 3: 18 holes at Coyote Crossing or Harrison hills 

Day 4: head home (5 hour drive)

This option would be a little less in-between travel (all 3 nights in West Lafayette).

I welcome any critiques/suggestions/thoughts.  I'm really wondering if Warren is worth making a special trip for or if Coyote or Harrison are similar in quality to it.  I'd also love to hear about lodging options/opinions.

Thanks all.

just a heads up, Purdue courses are under construction. You can only play Ackerman-Allen and not Kampen unless you are a member or a guest due to construction. Until they reopen kampen next year, I would do 18 at Ackerman, and 18 at coyote crossing in one day. After that check out the Warren course. If you haven't ever been to any of the Noblesville/north Indy courses, I would personally head that way after you played rock hollow on the way down. Once Purdue is open and ready to go with Kampen its 100% worth your time to come back and play 36 there. 

2 hours ago, Pigator5 said:

just a heads up, Purdue courses are under construction. You can only play Ackerman-Allen and not Kampen unless you are a member or a guest due to construction. Until they reopen kampen next year, I would do 18 at Ackerman, and 18 at coyote crossing in one day. After that check out the Warren course. If you haven't ever been to any of the Noblesville/north Indy courses, I would personally head that way after you played rock hollow on the way down. Once Purdue is open and ready to go with Kampen its 100% worth your time to come back and play 36 there. 

This trip would be 2024 or later so im assuming both purdue courses would be open.

I'm mapping out two trips to Indiana.  One for West lafayette (my original post) and one for noblesville/Indy.  Wish the Indy courses had stay and play options.  Looks like its all a la carte.

I like the courses around Indy and there’s plenty of good options for what to do after golf. In my mind there’s no better mix of 4 courses in Indy that are better than Rock, Both Purdue courses, and Warren. 

Coyote Crossing is a nice course. Good mix of wooded and open holes. I do think it’s a noticeable step down compared to the others on your list. You can make an argument for the Purdue tracks, Warren, and Rock to be top 5-7 public courses in the state. CC isn’t quite in the same league. I’m not saying it’s a bad course or you won’t enjoy it. It’s just not on the level of the others.  

• Like 1

Food & Drink:

West Lafayette -

Harry's Chocolate Shop is a ~100 yo staple for Purdue students and returning alumni.  Fantastically divey with DELICIOUSLY meaty wings.

The Tap (brewery) has over 100 taps and outdoor seating.  Try 'em all!

I don't know of a good stay and pub crawl location in WL.  My fav's are very spread out.

South Bend -

The Exchange bourbon bar.  Classy setting in an old bank with a neat vibe (pun intended).  Typically cute and friendly bar maids.

Fiddler's Hearth Irish pub.  Cool little pub with GREAT fish n chips.  Sometimes have a little band.  A fav' of mine.

Look at staying at or near the Double Tree hotel for walking access to both of these.

IF you get over by Mishawaka (just E of SB), definitely hit the Evil Czech Brewery.

Report back!

• Like 1

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

17 hours ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

I like the courses around Indy and there’s plenty of good options for what to do after golf. In my mind there’s no better mix of 4 courses in Indy that are better than Rock, Both Purdue courses, and Warren. 

Coyote Crossing is a nice course. Good mix of wooded and open holes. I do think it’s a noticeable step down compared to the others on your list. You can make an argument for the Purdue tracks, Warren, and Rock to be top 5-7 public courses in the state. CC isn’t quite in the same league. I’m not saying it’s a bad course or you won’t enjoy it. It’s just not on the level of the others.  

Yeah, like I said, im just trying to decide if Warren is worth the little more hassle with traveling (option 1) as opposed to ending with coyote crossing which is right down the road (option 2).

thanks for the feedback.

I think the advice here is pretty solid, and you really can't go wrong with either option. I like Coyote Crossing, and I consider it a top 10 course in the state that I've played (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15syiDDZrjMDwjTz43T2VjYCr0v8lp3STXUBSpPJNTSM/edit#gid=0). Harrison Hills is a solid option too, but out of the way a bit from the rest of your travel. If you go there try the bbq brisket sandwich. Consider Trophy Club as well as it's just off 65 and not too far from Lafayette.  Or Bear Slide in Cicero as you could escape up 31 or 69 to get home easily. 

I'd also think from your area a separate South Bend trip would be feasible as well if you wanted to save Warren for then, add in Blackthorn, and then play over by the lake or near Kalamazoo. 

• Like 1

Really I could argue i need three trips to indiana not two lol.

1: West lafayette area: rock hollow, both purdues, and coyote crossing 

2. Northeast Indiana: Notre dame warren plus cobblestone/noblehawk/glendarin hills

3. Northern indy area: bear slide, prairie view, trophy club, purgatory

Or at least thats what i've surmised after reading this great thread over the past week or so.

Also, thanks for your spreadsheet Doc.  Very helpful.

Edited by Pepetito

8 hours ago, Pepetito said:

Anyone played Sandy pines in DeMotte?

I've played it maybe 3 times.  Pretty nice track in an out of the way area.  Enjoyed it and plan to be back this year.

• Like 1

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I don't post on here much anymore. My golf days have been very limited with a 1 year old. That being said...sandy pines is a phenomenal course. I played twice last year or the season before. I highly, highly recommend it. They have a stay and play there too. 

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

16 hours ago, HoosierHacker89 said:

I don't post on here much anymore. My golf days have been very limited with a 1 year old. That being said...sandy pines is a phenomenal course. I played twice last year or the season before. I highly, highly recommend it. They have a stay and play there too. 

Looks great on the course tour on the website.

Prairie View was in great shape yesterday (greens had been top dressed but that's the cost of progress).  Shop staff was friendly and welcoming.

Though the rough wasn't that tall it was still super sticky and penal.  Just short enough to see your ball but tall enough to kick your butt.

Should be lush and in top shape for boys HS state championship.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

On 4/21/2023 at 7:33 PM, DrOldSchool said:

I'm in for the Harbor Links pilgrimage whenever the weather improves. 

Haven't been active in here recently but am about to go on sabbatical for the rest of the calendar year. So I am looking forward to playing as much as possible if the back cooperates. Also won a few vouchers for private courses via Prairie View's silent auction and am looking forward to playing them - Anderson, Maple Creek, Dye's Walk, and Ulen. I've played Ulen before but not the rest. 

As for PV - they have got insanely aggressive with their dynamic pricing for this early in the year. We played it 10 days or so ago at the twilight rate, and I'd have been pissed if I payed $100+ for it in that condition. Plus the bar closed early.

Brickyard is $200 now,  such is life these days.  Used to play there for $80. PV was usually $70-$90 years ago.  

26 minutes ago, ruascott said:

Brickyard is $200 now,  such is life these days.  Used to play there for $80. PV was usually $70-$90 years ago.  

Grew up within earshot of the track just west of Eagledale. I wish I would have played there at least once before I moved away. 😞

16 hours ago, IndyArcher said:

Grew up within earshot of the track just west of Eagledale. I wish I would have played there at least once before I moved away. 😞

@IndyArcher Are you a Sparkplug?

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

1 hour ago, Bob Cat said:

@IndyArcher Are you a Sparkplug?

No. My dad was back in the day. In middle school we moved up into Pike Township so I was a Red Devil. My last trip into Speedway was to take my kids to Long's Bakery a couple of years ago when we were down in Indy for a couple of days for the state fair and children's museum. Place is full of memories. Old neighborhood is pretty rough these days, but I can remember racing our Big Wheels up and down the sidewalk during all of May listening to cars and announcers on the track! My dad was Marion Co sheriff, so he usually had to work the race. Never got to see it in person until several years after I moved up near Fort Wayne. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Quem24 said:

Has anyone played Eagle Glen Golf Club in Columbia City, IN just outside of Ft Wayne?

I'm probably not your best source because it's been a few years. Lived just south of there in Roanoke for 20 years, so I got there on occasion. Course was decent. Nothing extraordinary, IMO, but worthwhile. A little water on the course, but most of it pretty avoidable as I recall. It's right off of US 30, so it's very easy to get to. Hopefully you'll get someone who has been there more recently as I'm guessing my little blurb probably isn't that helpful. 

19 minutes ago, IndyArcher said:

I'm probably not your best source because it's been a few years. Lived just south of there in Roanoke for 20 years, so I got there on occasion. Course was decent. Nothing extraordinary, IMO, but worthwhile. A little water on the course, but most of it pretty avoidable as I recall. It's right off of US 30, so it's very easy to get to. Hopefully you'll get someone who has been there more recently as I'm guessing my little blurb probably isn't that helpful. 

Nah this is good. I appreciate the reply. Not looking for or expecting anything extraordinary, just heading out for a casual Memorial Day round Sunday.  Was just hoping for confirmation the place wasn’t a complete dump. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 9:44 AM, IndyArcher said:

No. My dad was back in the day. In middle school we moved up into Pike Township so I was a Red Devil. My last trip into Speedway was to take my kids to Long's Bakery a couple of years ago when we were down in Indy for a couple of days for the state fair and children's museum. Place is full of memories. Old neighborhood is pretty rough these days, but I can remember racing our Big Wheels up and down the sidewalk during all of May listening to cars and announcers on the track! My dad was Marion Co sheriff, so he usually had to work the race. Never got to see it in person until several years after I moved up near Fort Wayne. 

Always thought the Speedway Sparkplugs had the best nickname.

Speedway Sparkplugs - Official Athletic Website – Indianapolis, IN

• Like 1

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron