Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

I think for Friday we’re looking at 6 players if anyone else is interested...

Hoosierhacker89

Indygolfer85

Pigator5

Bob Cat

Droldschool

Ed suttle

If anyone has a game they would like to play or format for the day let me know. If not we’ll just break off into two threesomes and have a great day.

2 man scramble with 3 teams? Not sure on what type of games there are with 6 people. I played at trophy club yesterday and it was in great shape!

I think for Friday we’re looking at 6 players if anyone else is interested...

Hoosierhacker89

Indygolfer85

Pigator5

Bob Cat

Droldschool

Ed suttle

If anyone has a game they would like to play or format for the day let me know. If not we’ll just break off into two threesomes and have a great day.

2 man scramble with 3 teams? Not sure on what type of games there are with 6 people. I played at trophy club yesterday and it was in great shape!

A 3v3 best ball would probably work out. Could shuffle the teams if we do 36 holes, or after each 9.

Trophy probably got a good soaking today, so it should be in its usual excellent shape Friday! The course of any here always eats me for lunch and I always leave wanting more.

Hello gents. I think I replied to this thread awhile back but here goes again...

My wife and I are relocating from Seattle to Indy at the end of July for my job transfer and we will be living about a mile from Prairie View. I am hoping to connect with this fun group for a little side action. I play to a 1.4 right now and love some good competition. I have been scoping out courses for months and it seems I will have no shortage of fun tracks.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Hello gents. I think I replied to this thread awhile back but he goes again...

My wife and I are relocating from Seattle to Indy at the end of July for my job transfer and we’ll be living about a mile from Prairie View. I’m hoping to connect with this fun group for a little side action. I play to a 1.4 right now and love some good competition. I’ve been scoping out courses for months and it seems I’ll have no shortage of fun tracks.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

I'll shoot you a PM... I'm about 6 miles from Prairie View, near Sagamore and Stony Creek. Would love the opportunity to get strokes off someone else... for once... :beach:

I talked to HoosierHacker, and I think I am going to plan something in August. My schedule is probably the most flexible of anyone here until school starts back up, so I can pick a day that works for me and stick with it. I'm thinking a Saturday or Sunday (or both?) in August so hopefully, more people can join in. I won't plan any games or anything, just will pick a date/times and ask for RSVPs.

I heard unfortunately within the past couple weeks that Lakeview Greens North of Muncie is going to be turned into farm ground. I learned to play golf on that course, so it is hard to see it turned into pasture.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

How has the season been going for everyone so far? The weather has been awesome, so there has been lots of golf for this writer. I can't say scores have been ideal, but it has been enjoyable. I have been getting into walking more which is something I always like to do. It just feel like the way golf is meant to be played. The highlight of the season so far has to be Kampen. It was awesome, and I cant wait to go back. We will be playing several top tier courses in the state next month: Otter Creek, Chariot Run, Sultan's Run, The Ross Course in French Lick and Lucas Oil Course. This should be a blast, and I look forward to seeing some of the best southern Indiana has to offer.

I have fallen in love with Pleasant Run and Sarah Shank this season. They are a couple of throwback short city courses that have lots of character and challenge your short game.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Yes, the owner of Blackford and Albany golf clubs bought Lakeview and closed it.

Some members have been coming over to Blackford so we're seeing more play there.

Got to play with my son and DrOldSchool yesterday at Prairie View two days removed from the boys state IHSAA championship.

Can't wait to challenge it again.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Easiest course is Forest Park in Noblesville. Only 9 holes, but 8/9 greens are very flat. Plays around 3000 yards, par 35 - Only par 5 is #1, which is about 460 or so and I would put it at/near the top of the easiest hole list. I also remember Valle Vista playing fairly simple when I played it.

Depending on how far out we are expanding this, #2 at Tri-County is probably the easiest par 5 I've ever played. 450ish, no trouble unless you hit it way left, flat green that is mostly unprotected. Could also put about 1/2 the holes on Grandview in Anderson on the list - rating wise it'd be the easiest course too.

I’d say the easiest hole is a short 90 yard par 3 at arrowhead that basically has nothing on it.

The easiest course would be sahm of everything I’ve played. The greens are a little tricky, but the course is fair. 6,12 and 18 are the only holes that offer a challenge for the most part

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Indiana WRX 2018 Outing

Saturday August 4

Tee times start at 10:34 AM

Royal Hylands Golf Course

Knightstown, IN

http://www.royalhylandsgc.com

I've reserved a few times at Royal Hylands for us to have an outing this year after the first two fell through. $49 with cart for 18 is their weekend rate, and they have a nice clubhouse and grill if we want to eat afterward. If anyone wants to do 36 or play any games we can discuss the day of, though that wouldn't be mandatory. Otherwise, this is just a social get-together to play and meet one another.

If you haven't played at Hylands, it's well worth the trip. It's a parklands style course that is always in great shape with some elevation change and some tricky, sloped greens. Don't let the 6050 distance from the whites fool you, it will sneak up and bite you if you hit an errant shot. Not only has it ranked in the top 5 in Indiana on Golfadvisor.com the last 3 years, the course also ranks among the best value courses in the USA and the friendliest courses in the country (https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/5822-royal-hylands-golf-club/).

So bottom line, wherever you are in the state or nearby it's well worth the trip to join us that day. It's roughly 30 minutes from the 465/70 interchange on the east side of Indy, and is easy to get to from the highway.

Guests are welcome to join us. Please RSVP here in the thread or to me via DM. I'm happy to answer any questions as well!

Sean this sounds wonderful. Hylands is beautiful and always been a close favorite of mine. I think that you guys should have a wonderful turn out and it will be a great venue for the outing.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I have had the opportunity to play most of the public tracks around Indy, so I finally wanted to post my top 10 list. This is my list, so I have my own criteria for courses. For me layout, customer service and amenities are the most important factors in deciding this list. Course conditions and price point are also important, but they are not as high a priority that others would factor in.

1. Prairie View: for me this is the cream of the crop in Indianapolis for public courses I've played. The layout is phenomenal, the practice facility is as nice as anywhere and the staff is amazing. I love parkland style courses, but this course has a nice blend of parkland and linkish style holes. I consider this course to be a treat anytime I can on. Strong possibility of joining here next season. Jones's courses just fit my eye and this one is almost perfect. The food at the restaurant is awesome too.

2. The Fort: I love the rustic state park feel. The elevation changes are amazing and I always feel like I am one with nature when I am here. They have another really nice practice facility here as well. Opening to closing hole there isn't a prettier course in the city. I believe this is the best layout in Indianapolis. I would have this course #1 if the proshop was nicer, but is still very nice.

3. Royal Hylands: The diamond in the rough of all these courses. Great layout and always in immaculate shape. The friendliest staff you'll find anywhere, and its never an issue to get on. For under fifty bucks rack rate I dare anyone to show me a better course. The 4th and 10th holes are a couple of the most picturesque holes I've ever played. This is my number 1 must play on this list. The greens are very undulated which I would say gives this girl her bite. Decent proshop and food but nothing spectacular in this department.

4. Trophy Club: Tough course. Another course that anyone reading this list should check out. It could easily be #1. The grooming is always top notch and this course is just tons of fun to play. There is lots of opportunity to score here but most holes also have the opportunity to make double. This more of links style layout and there are lots of false fronts and collection areas around the greens. This course can be a beast in the wind. Trophy club will test your entire game with some really tough driving holes and sneaky greens.

5. Purgatory: When I think about purgatory two things immediately come to mind: the proshop and sand. As awesome as the course is I believe the proshop is better. It is hands down the best in town. The course is a great track too. It is a links style course with more bunkers than you'd ever want to see. I think sand is in play on all 18 holes. The greens are also ridiculous. The are lightning fast with lots of undulation and most of them are huge. It is the course above all the others that will put your flatstick to the test. I love playing here, but if the wind is blowing it might be the toughest course around.

6. GCI: this is a great track and a fantastic layout. It is very traditional and old school with limited elevation changes. The club house and academy are stellar especially with the recent updates. This is one of the nicest practice facilities in the city and the course pairs it nicely. There isn’t any real glamour on this course, but the hazards that are present are very well placed. The greens always putt well and I just love playing here. It is a trip back in time when you tee it up here and a nice change of pace course. They also do a great job with the bunkers here which isn’t always the case with some courses for the same value.

7. Bear slide: the best rolling greens in the city. They are simply pure and roll true. The course has a nice variety of holes with some really tough par 3s. The par 5s on the other hand are scorsble which makes for a nice mix. This course is two complete opposite 9’s. The front is very open and the back gets tight. Bear slide has the best closing hole around by a mile. I love playing out here, and i need to get out more. The pro shop is the biggest weakness of the course, but the track makes up for it ten fold

8. Eagle Creek sycamore: a fantastic layout and a good challenge. The 9th hole is gorgeous and one of my favorites In town. The greens were super slick when I played it last. I’ve only been here once but I’d love go back.

9. River glen: played it for first time yesterday and I can’t believe I haven’t been here. It’s right up the street from me, and it will become s regular in my rotation for sure. Parkland style course with lots of mature trees and dog legs. The clubhouse is really nice and it’s tucked away in a rather busy spot of town.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

We've talked a lot about the best course overall around the area, and most of the focus has been on the North/Hamilton County side of town, probably because a lot of us live up there, and the courses are good. I'm curious what folks think the best public course is on the South side of Indy?

Indiana WRX 2018 Outing

Saturday August 4

Tee times start at 10:34 AM

Royal Hylands Golf Course

Knightstown, IN

http://www.royalhylandsgc.com

I've reserved a few times at Royal Hylands for us to have an outing this year after the first two fell through. $49 with cart for 18 is their weekend rate, and they have a nice clubhouse and grill if we want to eat afterward. If anyone wants to do 36 or play any games we can discuss the day of, though that wouldn't be mandatory. Otherwise, this is just a social get-together to play and meet one another.

If you haven't played at Hylands, it's well worth the trip. It's a parklands style course that is always in great shape with some elevation change and some tricky, sloped greens. Don't let the 6050 distance from the whites fool you, it will sneak up and bite you if you hit an errant shot. Not only has it ranked in the top 5 in Indiana on Golfadvisor.com the last 3 years, the course also ranks among the best value courses in the USA and the friendliest courses in the country (https://www.golfadvisor.com/courses/5822-royal-hylands-golf-club/).

So bottom line, wherever you are in the state or nearby it's well worth the trip to join us that day. It's roughly 30 minutes from the 465/70 interchange on the east side of Indy, and is easy to get to from the highway.

Guests are welcome to join us. Please RSVP here in the thread or to me via DM. I'm happy to answer any questions as well!

Gonna pull the plug on this due to lack of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the pleasure of playing a bunch of courses in southern Indiana this weekend with some of the nimrods from the chili dippers group. We played otter creek, chariot run, sultans run, and Donald Ross French lick course. My favorite of the pack was chariot run by a slim margin over sultans run. I’d recommend playing all of these courses if you get the chance. Otter creek, sultans and Ross all had some rough patches, but all and all they were great tracks.

Chariot run had some of the purist greens I’ve ever played on. They rolled so true. It’s a great links style layout.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig