Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

I'm thinking Plum Creek is a good starter - if you're feeling it, go for the green; if not a good layup gets you staring down at that green complex which is pretty wild. Missing either way is bogey-town or worse. Brickyard, Golf Club of Indiana are good, maybe Martinsville too; these all preview the course challenges well.

I'm thinking Plum Creek is a good starter - if you're feeling it, go for the green; if not a good layup gets you staring down at that green complex which is pretty wild. Missing either way is bogey-town or worse. Brickyard, Golf Club of Indiana are good, maybe Martinsville too; these all preview the course challenges well.

My thoughts exactly! Purgatory is a decent starter too.

I love the opening hole of Royal Hylands too... Being new to the area, this was the second course I played and absolutely loved it. Couple weird holes that don’t fit the rest of the course, but a blast.

Brookshire has a good and very tough opening hole. It takes a near perfect tee shot to have a good look from a flat lie into the green. If you lay back at the top of the hill it’s a challenging second shot over the creek. If you don’t get it all the way down the hill, you have an awkward lie. The is OB all down the left and right is blocked out.

All of these are awesome suggestions. It’s great how much awesome golf is around Indy and I haven’t even played everything yet.

What course is around town is one you haven’t played that you’re wanting to in 2019? Mine is the legends. I moved about 15 minutes away, so that’s going to be the top of my unplayed list.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Legends is pretty solid, 27holes. I'm an anniversary member, meaning I joined with their special last year (and a lot of others did too). It's been busy, so the greens can get a little beat up & I was disappointed by the bunker conditions. But I like the place and when I can zip around, I like it more!

Being nearby, if you haven't tried Martinsville, add that to the list. Affordable and fun, with elevation changes and one of the best closing stretches in the state. Otter Creek in Columbus is another 27h facility & worth the drive.

Dr Old School & I both write for Indiana on Golf Advisor, so feel free to ask away on courses.

Of note, the Brickyard offers "pay the temperature" opening week in March, which is usually the week of St Pat's. It's the best way to get an introduction.

Right on brother. I wish i had stepped on that Legends membership when it was available. Its like $2000 a year as now. Brother in law and i bought that southern dunes/smock deal off facebook which is a decent deal for the $, but nothing like the screaming anniversary membership. I have considered joining Hickory Stick due to it being like 5 minutes away, but I'll see how it goes closer to spring. I love the layout as it has been my favorite south side track so far.

Golf Advisor is awesome other than the stupid programming going on making it the slowest site ever. If you haven't checked out the 2018 top 50 well worth it. That course on Brookeville lake in Liberty looks awesome.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Hey all, I’m planning a trip to Indy for my brothers and I and found this but didn’t want to start a new thread. We are on a bit of a budget so I was wondering what people might think of this itinerary:

Eagle Creek(36, but after reading reviews of Pines not so sure anymore), Southern Dunes, The Trophy Club.

We are going to be there mid week(3 day/2 night) and wanted to keep greens fees under $40. Likely headed that way in September because one of my brothers will actually have time off then. Probably staying by the airport for lodging. Thanks in advance fellas!

Hey all, I'm planning a trip to Indy for my brothers and I and found this but didn't want to start a new thread. We are on a bit of a budget so I was wondering what people might think of this itinerary:

Eagle Creek(36, but after reading reviews of Pines not so sure anymore), Southern Dunes, The Trophy Club.

We are going to be there mid week(3 day/2 night) and wanted to keep greens fees under $40. Likely headed that way in September because one of my brothers will actually have time off then. Probably staying by the airport for lodging. Thanks in advance fellas!

Watch/use GolfNow and TeeOff, and if you play the hot deal times you can play some other of the "big boys" at/around $40 mid-week, like Bear Slide, Purgatory, Prairie View, Fort - all those would be about a 45-55 min drive from near the airport but worth it versus some of those you mentioned. Trophy is on GN too, and I routinely play the hot deals there for around $20-25 mid-week in season booking hot deals last minute.

Southern Dunes would be a great course if they took care of it, but the conditions have a reputation of being meh. Eagle Creek Pines is just ok, Sycamore is better there. Near the airport consider Deer Creek, first 2 holes there are quirky but the rest are decent, and should be in your price range.

One other thing to watch about September around Indy is aeration, check with courses when booking.

Hey all, I'm planning a trip to Indy for my brothers and I and found this but didn't want to start a new thread. We are on a bit of a budget so I was wondering what people might think of this itinerary:

We are going to be there mid-week(3 day/2 night) and wanted to keep greens fees under $40. Likely headed that way in September because one of my brothers will actually have time off then. Probably staying by the airport for lodging. Thanks in advance fellas!

Sign up for the Group Golfer emails, read the fine print before you buy but you may find a couple of good deals between now and Sept. Also, check out West Chase in Brownsburg, it should be close to your budget in non-peak hours.

What do you believe is the best opening hole in town? I like royal hylands par 5 the best. I have eagled it once in all the times I've been playing it, but the hope is always there to do it again. I have taken many big numbers going onto the second tee box after facing this opening monster. It requires a precise drive that cannot miss left or right. It also requires a nice second shot down a chute into a multi-tiered green if you decide to go after it in two. There is also an option to lay up with an iron and hit a wedge into a well guarded green.

Some that I think of that haven't been mentioned...

Bear Slide - Bunkers left/water right and a sneaky guarded green that slopes hard to the bunkers in front. A good drive should leave a wedge, but miss left and chipping to a front pin is death, as is missing on the wrong part of the largish green.

Trophy Club - This hole always gets me. Generous fairway, but tall stuff left and right and the driving range right if you spray. The approach though, for me is usually a longer iron to a well guarded green. I've missed it every way you can - all bunkers, the farm field right, tall stuff left. Always get off to an ugly start there.

Rock Hollow - Risk/reward start. Tight the whole way, but under 300 yards. Gamblers can go for it from the tee, but needs a shot that turns left to do so. Otherwise you're popping one out and flipping a wedge to a nice green in the trees.

River Glen - Hylands is the better par 5 starter, but wanted to toss this one in there as well. Water right, trees left, but a good drive and you can challenge it. If the pin is tucked to the left it can be tricky, even from the left side of the fairway.

Right on brother. I wish i had stepped on that Legends membership when it was available. Its like $2000 a year as now. Brother in law and i bought that southern dunes/smock deal off facebook which is a decent deal for the $, but nothing like the screaming anniversary membership. I have considered joining Hickory Stick due to it being like 5 minutes away, but I'll see how it goes closer to spring. I love the layout as it has been my favorite south side track so far.

Golf Advisor is awesome other than the stupid programming going on making it the slowest site ever. If you haven't checked out the 2018 top 50 well worth it. That course on Brookeville lake in Liberty looks awesome.

I like the Harbor Links course on Brookville. It's worth it..not perfect, but well worth the drive. Played it just about every year for 10-12 years now. Got on last year for 18$ on Group Golfer..let me know if you ever head there as I live maybe 40 minutes from it. It's opening hole is a dog leg right par 4...nothing too hard or easy..about right for opening hole.

Speaking of Royal Hylands #1---I and many others have started a couple over par after 1 and 2...if I go par-par I'm feeling good about my score...lol.

@jli2626

If you stay by the A/P, The Coachman has decent food and a deck. Nice hotels within walking distance, too.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I would consider any of the following for your price point and be thrilled

1. Royal Hylands be a bit of a hike, but an awesome course. I'd be a member in a heartbeat if i lived closer.

2. GCI

3. River Glen

4. Trophy Club

5. Hickory Stick

6. Eagle Creek Sycamore

I could write about each, but most everything you need to know is in the thread.

I think i am gonna make my top 20 courses list this winter.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Going off Brooksie's topic as far as stretches of holes go...which is your favorite 3-5 holes in a row around town? maybe the hardest or where you know you've got a great chance to make several birdies?

I am going to think about it and get back on this one. I think this could be an amazing topic!

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Greetings from Michigan. I am considering taking our annual trip south to Indy to play Prairie View, Fort, Brickyard, and Purgatory. Is that a solid line-up? Other course we considered is Trophy club, but that is further away.

Plan would be to stay at The Fort. How is the lodging there?

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

The 5 courses listed and Bear Slide are without questions the top six public tracks in the area. The order could be debated, but that's simply personal preference. You won't disappointed with any of them. The brickyard is the only one that seems to be difficult to get on at times due to it having so many tournaments, outings, and the 500 in May.

Do you have a number of courses you'd play in town? From personal preference only getting one chance to play each I'd order them 1. Brickyard (I haven't played it, but hear it is amazing and very unique) 2. The Fort best layout in town, 3. Prairie View probably my favorite of all of these courses, 4. Trophy Club the most challenging of the group and a phenomenal course, 5. Bear Slide awesome links style course on front and parkland on back. Best greens of the group. 6. Purgatory great track, but probably least must play of the group.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Greetings from Michigan. I am considering taking our annual trip south to Indy to play Prairie View, Fort, Brickyard, and Purgatory. Is that a solid line-up? Other course we considered is Trophy club, but that is further away.

Plan would be to stay at The Fort. How is the lodging there?

What HH said is correct. Your 5 courses plus Bear Slide - can't go wrong with any. If you wanted to add another out of convenience, Plum Creek is a Dye course right next to Prairie View that is always in good shape.

I honestly did not know there was lodging at the Fort. It is an old army barracks, so maybe they converted some of it. If you're looking for nightlife or restaurants close by there's not much, and you're 20-25 min to downtown Indy without traffic. If you're ok with staying off course, consider Carmel - plenty of good hotels, downtown area is trendy, easy to get to the courses you've listed.

I like the way you think... and I should be more interested in seeing The Who than I am... but I'm not, unfortunately.

If Rush gets bored and makes their way here then I'm there.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

This ol' boy is enlightened as I had to look up Kikagaku Moyo AND the Hi Fi.

Paul, can you post a YouTube of your favorite KM song? I'd like to check them out.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

This ol' boy is enlightened as I had to look up Kikagaku Moyo AND the Hi Fi.

Paul, can you post a YouTube of your favorite KM song? I'd like to check them out.

Ha...don't feel bad, I may be one of only five people at this concert.....just started listening to them about a year ago. There is few a YouTube things out there...I'll try to post later.

The hifi is probably the best venue in town to see shows anymore especially after they remodeled it a couple years ago. It gets incredibly hot in the summer time though as I don’t think the air conditioner works or it doesn’t work well. You’ll enjoy the venue

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Scratch the YouTube channel, Paul. I was traveling today and pulled up their Pandora channel. Awesome genre.

Got that concert on my calendar.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Scratch the YouTube channel, Paul. I was traveling today and pulled up their Pandora channel. Awesome genre.

Got that concert on my calendar.

End of February...maybe get a warm day and golf, then hit the show?? If that doesn't work then we hit The Who up in May!! I'm as giddy as a 13 year old girl...well a balding over weight 13 year old.