Circle City Chili Dipper- Indy Golf Thread

HoosierHacker89

So much for technology - I didn't get any updates from this feed like I would have expected. Grabbing the best holes stretch... Trophy club 13-18 might be one of best stretches of golf in the state, The Fort 15-18 is damn fine too. I really like 16-18 on Hickory Stick. (I seem to like closing stretches...). Kampen has 6-8 then 12-16 which is solid golf all the way. Oh and there's this little place on a hill in French Lick that is pretty good too...1-18 out there is nice!

Very solid answers. I’ve thought about this and I’d have to say my favorite stretch of holes would probably be 11-15 at the players club in Yorktown. It adds a lot of variety and scoring opportunities as well as a few tough challenges.

11 is a dog leg left where cutting the corner is optional of a big hitter and the Lilly pad pond makes for a great hazard. This also has a cool joint green with number 7 on the front.

12 is a short par 4 with out of bounds the length of the hole right. This hole looks simple enough til you get to the green that is multi tiered with lots of undulations. It is arguably the toughest green on the course depending on the pin.

13 is a great par 3 that can play long depending on the wind especially how guarded it is. The green is big so hitting the green on the right side with a tucked left pin can lead to easy three putts.

14 is an awesome hole that demands two great shots just to get on. This thing mirrors number 4 going the opposite direction and can be argued as the toughest hole in the course. I’ve gone driver, wood into this green before depending on the wind before. It always seems to play hard into the wind with all the houses funneling the breeze. The creek on the right side is a ball eater as well.

15 is a great hole with eagle potential. If you can get though 13/14 without putting up crooked numbers this is a great chance to go lower or clean up a mess one of the two aforementioned holes. This green can he herd to hold at times especially hitting a hybrid or long iron into it. The greens at the players club play firm most of the time, but if you can get on in two eagle is a great possibility here.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I am struggling to come up with new talking points each week, so if anyone has topic ideas please gladly feel free to share. The weather has been frightful lately, and it’s been several months since I’ve picked up a club. Winter rust has set in to the -10th degree this January.

What is your favorite course in the circle (minus Brickyard tot discussions sake)? I haven’t played all of them but pleasant run has been my favorite so far. Always in great shape and the staff is super friendly.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Super random and totally off topic but I'm hoping Rock Hollow can get itself together again. Beautiful piece of land and unique.

I'll give it the Spring then try again early Summer and report back.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I am struggling to come up with new talking points each week, so if anyone has topic ideas please gladly feel free to share. The weather has been frightful lately, and it's been several months since I've picked up a club. Winter rust has set in to the -10th degree this January.

What is your favorite course in the circle (minus Brickyard tot discussions sake)? I haven't played all of them but pleasant run has been my favorite so far. Always in great shape and the staff is super friendly.

Favorite course right now is Summit Lake..lol..ice fishing. Sorry, but if it's too cold to golf I want it cold enough to make ice!!!

I had no idea the RV industry entered this market but it makes PERFECT sense.

The tiny home craze surely started on a lake in Minnesota, didn't it?

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

Hey Indy WRX Friends - I really enjoy your thread here. Another Indy golf question.

Do you know of anyone or any course that will book tee times for a group across the city for you so our group only has one person to pay? Right now, I am thinking I will have to make my own tee times at each course and have each player pay at course. But would prefer to use a single source for simplicity.

P.S. I want that RV Shanty. My portable is getting pretty worn. ;)

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

I had no idea the RV industry entered this market but it makes PERFECT sense.

The tiny home craze surely started on a lake in Minnesota, didn't it?

Yes...when the old timers use to pull their ice shacks off at the end of the season...their wives told them to keep living in it...since they had been for the last 4 months. Thus the tiny house craze was born!!

Hey Indy WRX Friends - I really enjoy your thread here. Another Indy golf question.

Do you know of anyone or any course that will book tee times for a group across the city for you so our group only has one person to pay? Right now, I am thinking I will have to make my own tee times at each course and have each player pay at course. But would prefer to use a single source for simplicity.

I always thought you could do that? I always try and get Dr.Oldschool to pay and then conveniently forget to pay him back!! We have done it through Golf Now.

Edit--You're probably talking about larger group though...so not sure how that works??

I always thought you could do that? I always try and get Dr.Oldschool to pay and then conveniently forget to pay him back!! We have done it through Golf Now.

Edit--You're probably talking about larger group though...so not sure how that works??

I'd just lose it anyway.

To answer Kinckerbocker's question - I don't know of a local booking agent a-la Myrtle Beach, this is as close as I've ever heard of: https://www.visithamiltoncounty.com/things-to-do/golf/

Hey all, I’m planning a trip to Indy for my brothers and I and found this but didn’t want to start a new thread. We are on a bit of a budget so I was wondering what people might think of this itinerary:

Eagle Creek(36, but after reading reviews of Pines not so sure anymore), Southern Dunes, The Trophy Club.

We are going to be there mid week(3 day/2 night) and wanted to keep greens fees under $40. Likely headed that way in September because one of my brothers will actually have time off then. Probably staying by the airport for lodging. Thanks in advance fellas!

I’ll save the corny pitch about my own track (Pleasant Run) and let one of the others tell you about it. I have to say, last year was my first year at “The Run” however, and our superintendent is second to none. Greens here and our sister course Sarah shank are tremendous.

Also, ventured over this past season to play southern dunes.... I’ll just say that we look forward to seeing you at Pleasant Run when you make it to Indy!

Titleist TSR3 8* - Graphite Design IZ X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX X

Titleist T200 3i - Fujikura Ventus Black 8 TX

Titleist 680 CB 4-PW - True Temper DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*/54*/58* True Temper DG Tour Issue S300

Scotty Cameron JetSet Newport 2

~ Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you deal with it ~

Greetings from Michigan. I am considering taking our annual trip south to Indy to play Prairie View, Fort, Brickyard, and Purgatory. Is that a solid line-up? Other course we considered is Trophy club, but that is further away.

Plan would be to stay at The Fort. How is the lodging there?

Prairie View, Brickyard, and Purgatory for sure. If you are staying on the east side (the fort) you need to make it out to Royal Hylands as well. Your drive may discourage you, but worth the haul for sure. Golf Club of Indiana as well on the northwest side would be a little drive, but well worth h the drive. If you’re feeling froggy, give a few private clubs a ring, tell them you’d be open to any day/time. Never know what you’ll get. Worst they give you is no

Titleist TSR3 8* - Graphite Design IZ X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX X

Titleist T200 3i - Fujikura Ventus Black 8 TX

Titleist 680 CB 4-PW - True Temper DG Tour Issue X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*/54*/58* True Temper DG Tour Issue S300

Scotty Cameron JetSet Newport 2

~ Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you deal with it ~

I am looking for some insight on courses on the south side of town. I haven’t played many of them, but i have relocated to bargersville recently. I’ve played smock, southern dunes, bluff creek, hickory stick and the Par 3 course off 65 (Ottie or something like that) and I liked hickory stick the best by a mile. I am looking to play legends, deer creek and others but wanted insight into where to start.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I am looking for some insight on courses on the south side of town. I haven’t played many of them, but i have relocated to bargersville recently. I’ve played smock, southern dunes, bluff creek, hickory stick and the Par 3 course off 65 (Ottie or something like that) and I liked hickory stick the best by a mile. I am looking to play legends, deer creek and others but wanted insight into where to start.

That's the major highlights you've hit, Legends is usually pretty good. They can get busy, and if so, you can see wear and tear tick upward on the greens, bunkers. Martinsville is fun, consistent. Buffer Park is a 9hole, and one of the better courses in the area. Timbergate is usually pretty consistent too, you will see similarities to Hickory Stick. I can get on Dyes Walk anytime, and now HIllview with some buddies. They're both nice, if a little pricey. Winding river kinda depends on the bugs and rain levels; if it's dried out, I can have fun there too.

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback. I’d like to get on Dye’s walk at some point this coming year as I drive by it daily on my drive to downtown to work. The hole by the road with the fountian looks nice. I am just waiting on this weather to break as getting out next week may be viable.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback. I'd like to get on Dye's walk at some point this coming year as I drive by it daily on my drive to downtown to work. The hole by the road with the fountian looks nice. I am just waiting on this weather to break as getting out next week may be viable.

I play there once a year for the Indiana Professional Land Surveyors golf outing. There is not much to write home about for this course. I expected much more from a country club, but it was only moderately decent at best..

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

Has anyone ever been to Swan Lake Resort? Have a group getting together this summer and looking for a good stay and play package. Prefer to just stay at one site rather than bounce around to different courses.

Any other places worth checking out. I’d say North of Indy as we will be coming from Chicago.

Thanks.

Has anyone ever been to Swan Lake Resort? Have a group getting together this summer and looking for a good stay and play package. Prefer to just stay at one site rather than bounce around to different courses.

Any other places worth checking out. Id say North of Indy as we will be coming from Chicago.

Thanks.

I haven’t been there but just south of that is mystic hills. Its a Pete due course. It’s a great stay and play if you’re looking for a good course to be left alone with friends. They have very nice cabins to rent. We are looking at swan lake as a backup though for this summer.

Any other places worth checking out. I'd say North of Indy as we will be coming from Chicago.

Thanks.

I played a scramble on the silver course a couple years ago with the Indiana Municipal Managers Association. It was in April, and the course was in pretty good shape. Very windy made it challenging that day. It's better than above average but I can only really recall one or two holes vividly. No clue on the accommodations, but it is a few miles from the nearest town with food/stores.

If Lafayette/Purdue is an option it's worth looking into as well.

Any other places worth checking out. I'd say North of Indy as we will be coming from Chicago.

Thanks.

I haven't either; a buddy from up north has done it a few times - I hear conditions are good, pretty consistent, but the courses are kinda vanilla. I'm going up to Island Hills in Michigan with a group this July, they've got nice new condos and the course is otherwise private and gets solid reviews (but only one course on-site).

This weeks topic is going to be: Brag on your favorite or "home course", so I like some write ups as to why you love the course you call home.

My home course in 2018 went to an unexpected but familiar place. I called Royal Hylands in Knightstown, Indiana home in 2018 which was a course I had played several times in my teenage years. I moved from South Greenwood back to the Castleton area in November 2017, which meant it was a short 35 minute drive to Hylands. I was greeted by some of the best staff in the business by everyone being professional, respectful, innovative, and excellent. Brad and Tom both get special notice here for their hard work and special attention to detail. It has a mom and pop feel to the place even though its not too far out of the metropolitan area. I am a weekday golfer, so getting on was never a problem.

The course its self is in amazing offering anything a player would want out a round. The greens are multi tiered with sneaky undulation that will give even the best putters fits if they are above the hole. The course offers 4 score able par 5s that long hitters can reach in two. There are lot of elevation changes that offer players picturesque views of especially on holes number 4 and number 10. The course is a parkland style layout with trees being in play on nearly every hole. She doesn't play overly long at 6600ish from the tips, but she demands precision. It is a true beauty that any player would have the honor to enjoy.

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I first played Royal Hylands a couple of years ago when I first met up with a few of you here.

Yes, staff was friendly, wanted to know how we liked the course, and thanked us for coming.

Have played it twice now and need another "swing" at #10.

I'm a member at Blackford GC up in Blackford Co. Cheap, close and the members are great. Ho hum front 9, but the newer back 9 has some character. Greens are watered with sprinklers and hoses but the Spdt does a very good job with what he has to work with. Greens are always good.

Thursday night choose-up's a gas and often parlays into an "emergency nine". Good times.

Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

My fiance's family lives in Carmel, and we go down there quite a bit. We always play the same course with her Grandpa, nothing special. But we got an invite to play Crooked Stick this spring so we are pretty excited about that. Looking to play another course the day after (sunday). I am between the fort or playing the boilermaker course on the way back to Chicago. I have never played either, any thoughts?

My fiance's family lives in Carmel, and we go down there quite a bit. We always play the same course with her Grandpa, nothing special. But we got an invite to play Crooked Stick this spring so we are pretty excited about that. Looking to play another course the day after (sunday). I am between the fort or playing the boilermaker course on the way back to Chicago. I have never played either, any thoughts?

True coin flip. Both are solid Dye courses. The Fort gets a ton of play so the greens can be mine fields sometimes - Haven't had that issue the 2 times I played at Purdue. Forcing me to pick I am taking Purdue and having dinner at Triple XXX afterwards. But you're not going wrong either way.