2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

To Slope or not to Slope...

As I am enjoying the game more and more and my ball striking is getting better and better, I'm seriously considering a Range Finder at this point. I've just started researching and keep seeing that if your Range Finder uses a Slope function, you can't post official Handicap Scores if you use it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm FAR away from doing that and will likely never play a Tourney in my life, so do you guys recommend getting a Range Finder with this function or not? Pros/Cons or any advice would be great! Thanks.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go with Slope. You can always turn it off if you are gonna post scores can't you?

I don't know. I haven't really seen that. Are there some that you can turn that function off?

Most new ones can. Some more easily than others. I will watch this with interest as im considering one. Our courses are very hilly.

I dont know how accurare the slope calculation is.

I just looked this up as the Range Finder I was looking at (Nikon Coolshot 40i, I can get it free with Airmiles Points) apparently can have the slope turned off, but then it is still not Tournament/handicap legal. Not exactly sure why, but I also read that with some other ones, you can remove the lens and place another one to make them Tournament/handicap legal.

So confused!

I’d go for one with a slope feature that turns on and off. I actually think the rules will again soften and allow scores with slope to be recorded for handicap.

http://www.golfrangefindershop.com/golf-talk/is-your-golf-rangefinder-legal/

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

I've been a skeptic of slope accuracy and could never justify the (typical) $100 upcharge over a non-slope model. That's why I purchased the non-slope Bushnell V4 laser. The slope model uses algorithms while the basic laser (obviously) doesn't. So lets say you have two golfers the same distance from a severely uphill green. Golfer A needs 6-iron to reach while golfer B can reach with a 9-iron. So golfer B can fly on while golfer A might contact ground prior to reaching the green and end up short. The algorithm can't factor both scenarios accurately. I've learned after over a lifetime of playing golf to be "somewhat" accurate guesstimating uphill and downhill adjustments.

I've been a skeptic of slope accuracy and could never justify the (typical) $100 upcharge over a non-slope model. That's why I purchased the non-slope Bushnell V4 laser. The slope model uses algorithms while the basic laser (obviously) doesn't. So lets say you have two golfers the same distance from a severely uphill green. Golfer A needs 6-iron to reach while golfer B can reach with a 9-iron. So golfer B can fly on while golfer A might contact ground prior to reaching the green and end up short. The algorithm can't factor both scenarios accurately. I've learned after over a lifetime of playing golf to be "somewhat" accurate guesstimating uphill and downhill adjustments.

Thats been my concern. How can it estimate a yardage based on altitude when it has no idea what shot its trying to calculate for. I dont see it.

I’m pretty sure it uses a pretty simple Pythagorean theory. No hocus pocus. It also gives you distance with and without slope simultaneously so you can see both and decide.

Most caddies use it when scouting a course on the professional tours, so that would be justification enough for me.

Distance is always only one part of the equation anyways, with or without slope. The laser range finder doesn’t tell you what trajectory to hit your shot, nor does it know the wind or temperature, which in part is why they are legal devices now.

The savings of getting a device without slope is real, but no need to be afraid of added features.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Mine does not have a slope feature but my buddy has one. After playing a few rounds with him and getting reads with his slope, I can pretty much guess what it's going to be now anyways, at least close enough. But I'd agree that it's better to get one with it if you can swing the extra cost.

DR: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 7S
5W: Mavrik SZ - Tour AD XC 8S
3H: Titleist 816 H2 - Speeder 8.8X
Irons (4-P): Mizuno MP-20 MMC - KBS $ X
Wedges (50,54,58): Mizuno T20 Raw - KBS $ X
Putter: Seemore Nashville
Ball: 2021 Pro V1

I’m pretty sure it uses a pretty simple Pythagorean theory. No hocus pocus. It also gives you distance with and without slope simultaneously so you can see both and decide.

Most caddies use it when scouting a course on the professional tours, so that would be justification enough for me.

Distance is always only one part of the equation anyways, with or without slope. The laser range finder doesn’t tell you what trajectory to hit your shot, nor does it know the wind or temperature, which in part is why they are legal devices now.

The savings of getting a device without slope is real, but no need to be afraid of added features.

You're right.

Ajusted Distance to Target = [Distance "as the crow flies" * (1 + tan(angle))]

i.e. 150 yds with a +5° slope = 163 yds

I had one without slope, it stopped working. Then I decided to get the slope, first one was stolen, the second one was run over by a soccer mom going 2 mph. Anywho, i decided just to go back to the non-sloped edition. As stated above i was always skeptical on the device not knowing the descending angle of the shot, which in my mind made the feature pointless. Good luck.

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

I bought the bushnell v4 without slope. It's my first one and I love it, I shoot everything now. I also live in Florida and rarely travel to play so the non-slope model was a no brainer. Haven't used any others but I absolutely love my bushnell

Callaway Rogue ST 💎💎💎 LS 9* [Tensei Red 1k 6TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 14.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 7TX]

Tour Edge CB Pro F2 17.5* [Graphite Design AD-DI 8TX]

GEOM Golf Moe [Raw] [21, 29, 37, 45] [LA Golf 125X]

National Custom [Raw] [50, 54, 58] [LA Golf 125X]

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport [Black Star Finish]

Iomic Grips

@TheGolfBench builds my clubs

#PlayOrPerish #LeadTapeChronicles #SlowPlayersWillBeAskedToLeave

• 2 weeks later...

It's illegal so I won't get the slope version. If I did I might as well put a 15th club in the bag and use a leather foot wedge when stuck behind a tree.

I'm no great player but I do play in club tournaments and most rounds I play count for my handicap. No way I'm bagging something that's illegal.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
3 (18°) & 4 (21°) Cleveland Halo XL hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I don’t think you guys without a rangefinder are understanding the slope vs nonslope.

Slope isn’t allowed in tournaments, but most new rangefinders have a way of shutting that off...thus making it legal for tournament play.

Also as stated above, it measures both the yardage to the “flag” or whatever your shooting and also the playing yardage due to slope. It doesn’t tell you it’s “20’ downhill at such and such altitude or what club to play and how to flight the shot. It simply gives you 2 yardage’s....true yardage and playing yardage due to slope. It’s still up to YOU to choose the right club and execute the shot.

And for the record I have had both slope and nonslope....and slope is the best one to have.

Driver:  MIZUNO STX-230 (9.5) - Hzrdus Black GEN4 60/6.0

Fwy:  MIZUNO STG-T.I. 3w (14) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (17.5) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hyb: COBRA F7 Hybrid (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO PRO 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Proto 125 F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow (34.5)
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag

Slope for sure. I think the slope vs no slope argument makes no sense. It’s just a matter of time before it’s allowed anyways. They’re trying to speed up the pace of play and as many have said, recent rangefinders have the ability to turn it off anyways. In the end, you still have to make a shot either way and no rangefinder takes the shot.

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Thats been my concern. How can it estimate a yardage based on altitude when it has no idea what shot its trying to calculate for. I dont see it.

Leupold uses TGR (True Golf Range). When you first setup the device, you enter your carry distance for 4i, 6i, 8i. You can also enter altitude and temp before each round. Based on your carry distances, it will adjust for slope differently. I've messed with it and it provides different distances for a long vs. short hitter.

Leupold uses TGR (True Golf Range). When you first setup the device, you enter your carry distance for 4i, 6i, 8i. You can also enter altitude and temp before each round. Based on your carry distances, it will adjust for slope differently. I've messed with it and it provides different distances for a long vs. short hitter.

Now THAT , somebody has thought about.

SLOPE is a must!!!, I have the V3 Slope Edition and just a few weeks ago my wife bought me the V4 (you can switch the slope option on and off), love them, love them, love them!!!, you will not regret getting one...good luck.

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali white 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

it's an extremely valuable tool to better understand the elevation on your course and what "this one plays 1/2 club more" really means. Once you get a feel for it you dont need it anymore, but I use it all the time in casual rounds, and jot down notes in my yardage book for when im playing tourneys of what the elevation change is.

I'd say it all depends on location. If I still lived in the mountains and dealt with a lot of elevation changes...sure. I live on the flat side of the Southeast US, there's hardly much in the way of elevation changes on most courses around here to really justify needing it honestly.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I've had a non-slope Leupold for a few years, and I've had an itch for a new rangefinder for a while now. I told my wife I wanted a regular Bushnell Tour V4, so she was awesome and bought me the one with the Slope! I don't know how useful it will be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, as I just moved back here after living in Houston for 9 years. Slope function wasn't really necessary in the Houston area, but it'll be fun to mess around with just to see how much it changes club selection around here.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)