Titleist AVX golf balls

casamarina

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish they had a chart to tell us some specs between the AVX, ProV1 and ProV1x so we know what the ball is supposed to do.

Something like

Driver height: High - Med - Low

Driver length: Short - Med - Long

Wedge Spin: High - Med - Low

Something like that so I could see which ball is supposed to do what. I probably will buy a sleeve of each and try to figure it out myself but I like charts!

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Driver height

V1x highest, AVX lowest, V1 in between.

Wedge spin

V1/V1x similar and very high (slight edge to V1x), AVX lower but still a good bit.

Driver distance is impossible to say, swing dependent. For me AVX is notably longer due to extra roll, no longer in carry b

When I stopped by the Titleist booth at the PGA Show the reps said they have pushed back the AVX national release from 2/1 to 5/1 in order to ramp up production. Apparently the test markets reordered much more than expected and they don’t have enough to meet demand for a full release. They also didn’t want to takeaway from the new Tour Soft release at the show.

When I stopped by the Titleist booth at the PGA Show the reps said they have pushed back the AVX national release from 2/1 to 5/1 in order to ramp up production. Apparently the test markets reordered much more than expected and they donâ€t have enough to meet demand for a full release. They also didnâ€t want to takeaway from the new Tour Soft release at the show.

True. They were very focused on the TS. They probably gave away a few hundred 6-ball sets of them. They basically confirmed the AVX will go into production, but why on earth they're not pushing it harder is a head-scratcher. All the feedback is crazy positive from the test markets.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

There is probably way more money to be made selling Surlyn balls for $35/dozen that cost 20 cents a ball to make than selling Urethane balls for $50/dozen that cost a dollar a ball to make.

As long as *any* significant number of buyers are out there for $35 two-piece balls they surely don't want to do anything that might harsh that sweet deal!

When I stopped by the Titleist booth at the PGA Show the reps said they have pushed back the AVX national release from 2/1 to 5/1 in order to ramp up production. Apparently the test markets reordered much more than expected and they don’t have enough to meet demand for a full release. They also didn’t want to takeaway from the new Tour Soft release at the show.

True. They were very focused on the TS. They probably gave away a few hundred 6-ball sets of them. They basically confirmed the AVX will go into production, but why on earth they're not pushing it harder is a head-scratcher. All the feedback is crazy positive from the test markets.

They might be scared that AVX sales will take away from V1x sales. That might be the case for me.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

After playing several rounds with AVX (including my personal best round ever in the second of those round) and seeing a marked difference in what clubs I played into Par 4 greens I was tempted to switch from ProV1x which has long been my favorite ball.

I spent an afternoon comparing AVX and ProV1x side-by-side from tee to green and especially within 60 yards of the green to confirm I wasn't giving up anything substantial in the short game, then switched. So yeah, for me every AVX ball I use costs Titleist one ball of ProV1x sales.

When Titleist announces that the AVX is a Velocity with a urethane cover, i'm all in. High price and all.

This! The Velocity gets grouped with the "distance, not much feel" kids, but I find it to be a great all around ball. I'm sure it is my swing, but while I do get distance gains, I also get enough bite and feel than most balls out there.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

I’ve got to say, as my rounds accumulate with the AVX I’m starting to wonder if it spins a LOT less than ProV1x.

The strange thing is, it stops pretty close to where it lands on mid-iron shots. So it’s got more approach spin than a Velocity or e6 or SuperSoft.

But this winter I’ve played some rounds with enough wind to make a club or two difference and I’ve just about had to quit allowing for 15mph-ish breeze to have more than a slight effect n distance. Shots with a 8-iron and a ProV1x into a 15mph breeze means even a 7-iron will still probably come up a couple yards short. Same situation with AVX and the 7-iron lands past hole high.

Of course there is no such thing as a free lunch. I’m worried that come high summer when the greens are super firm the AVX is going to seem lacking in holding power. But man does that thing cut through a cool breeze nicely!

I’ve been on a launch monitor with it. I swing the driver about 102-104. Hit driver and 8 iron, tested AVX against v1, v1x, Tp5, tp5x, CS+. Driver spin rate was the best I’ve had, around 2100, and about 700 rpm less than the next closest, which were the TM balls. V1’s were about 1000 higher. Same thing with the 8. Spun 1200 Rpms less than titleist and about 800 less than the others. I want/need less spin. Last year I switched to TP5x after years with v1x, and will give this ball a very good look if it goes wider distribution. Will be interesting to see how they price too.

I’ve been on a launch monitor with it. I swing the driver about 102-104. Hit driver and 8 iron, tested AVX against v1, v1x, Tp5, tp5x, CS+. Driver spin rate was the best I’ve had, around 2100, and about 700 rpm less than the next closest, which were the TM balls. V1’s were about 1000 higher. Same thing with the 8. Spun 1200 Rpms less than titleist and about 800 less than the others. I want/need less spin. Last year I switched to TP5x after years with v1x, and will give this ball a very good look if it goes wider distribution. Will be interesting to see how they price too.
with your swing speed and considering that you’re getting close to 3000 RPM with most offerings, is there a chance you might be using a shaft with the wrong kick point for your swing?

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

They might be scared that AVX sales will take away from V1x sales. That might be the case for me.

I honestly don't think they are scared of AVX sales leeching from V1 or V1x sales. It's an option that golfers were asking for. Softer and longer. I hope to try the TS in the next couple weeks when it warms up a bit and dries out.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

with your swing speed and considering that you’re getting close to 3000 RPM with most offerings, is there a chance you might be using a shaft with the wrong kick point for your swing?

Maybe. Hzrdus Black 65. 258 carry 284 total was the average. Not bad. I’m 47, so...

Maybe. Hzrdus Black 65. 258 carry 284 total was the average. Not bad. I’m 47, so...

is that with the AVX with 2200 rpm ? What do you get with TP5X? (Carry and total)

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Sorry I was watching a hs b-ball game and was a touch off on numbers. AVX was 2127 254 285 146.5 mph and tp5x was 2675 250 276 149.6 mph. I didn’t joy the launch angle but I think the AVX was a little flatter. What do you think?
. Both pretty good numbers , obviously who wouldn’t want 9 yards longer if the control around the green is acceptable.

I only asked about the shaft as I always spun the ball a little too much off the driver until I got the Rouge shaft with my M1 a couple years ago. Even a ball that spins a little more in 2500 or less and I am in the same SS as you , 100-103 with an occasional 105-106

I think I have a neutral AOA so having a shaft that helps keep spin down really helps me off the tee and I don’t sacrifice spin around the greens.

If you like the AVX around the greens it sounds like a winner. Just hope they lower the price for ya.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Yeah, the search for a spin killer ball and shaft. Think I might have that under control with the black.

I am in Wisconsin, so no chance to put the ball in play til CA in March and I’ll report then. My sense is that it will be good enough, because the 8 was still up around 7100. I think tp was 7800ish and titleists were 85ish.

Yeah, the search for a spin killer ball and shaft. Think I might have that under control with the black.

I am in Wisconsin, so no chance to put the ball in play til CA in March and I’ll report then. My sense is that it will be good enough, because the 8 was still up around 7100. I think tp was 7800ish and titleists were 85ish.

Best of luck - I noticed you didn't mention the 2017 XV in any of your testing. If you try the AVX and want a little higher ball flight with the same low spin rate, buy a sleeve and check them out for yourself. Great , GREAT ball and if they still have them the 6 ball trial packs were available on golfballs.com last week for $10.00 100% in the same class as V1x and TP5X but just better for me. Maybe not for you but thought I would share how much I love the ball as it seems like we have some similar LM numbers.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Played AVX today the ball was long off the tee I think 10 yds further. liked the ball trajectory higher. Irons were very long too. I like the feel of the ball off the club head, it was soft. Short irons i found a bit much seemed i was long several times. I would play the ball regularly, but not at its present price. Overpriced i will stay with the Callaway chrome soft. AVX should be under $40. I am not paying for their name when i can play PROV for the same price.

Ah. I am a sort of traditionalist I guess. Leaving the pro v for a TM last year was a big deal. Srixon would feel odd.
your missing out on a phenomenal ball

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow