Titleist AVX golf balls

casamarina

Can someone help me out here??

Who is this ball meant for? How is it supposed to be positioned in the market?

Same price as ProV and a “premium” softer core ball. They certainly can’t want to steal away their own ProV users. Makes no business sense.

Are they going after chromesoft users at a higher price point? That doesn’t make sense either.

I really can’t see where the niche is for them at this price point. Take them to $39 and maybe I understand it.

AVX = Alternative to Pro PV1X. The new batting order in terms of fitting a player to a Titleist tour ball (most likely based off ball speed) is Pro V1, Pro V1x, and then AVX. Titleist has never openly discussed "lower compression" in regards to their urethane tour balls (but for AVX they kind of are) so it is a new thing to be aiming the discussion at having a tour ball for lower ball speed players. My inclination is the likes of Callaway Chrome Soft and Bridgestone RX has bit Titleist in the @ss long enough, now Titleist is (finally) adapting.

edit: AVS has been wildly successful here in our test market of Arizona. And FWIW we have be getting restocked on inventory of it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard rumors of a new Titleist ball coming out this year called True Soft, maybe it's the AVX rebranded?

Tour Soft. it is already sitting on the shelves here in Arizona. it is not AVX, it is not a urethane cover ball.

this ball has NXT bloodlines. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow....

Can someone help me out here??

Who is this ball meant for? How is it supposed to be positioned in the market?

Same price as ProV and a “premium” softer core ball. They certainly can’t want to steal away their own ProV users. Makes no business sense.

Are they going after chromesoft users at a higher price point? That doesn’t make sense either.

I really can’t see where the niche is for them at this price point. Take them to $39 and maybe I understand it.

AVX = Alternative to Pro PV1X. The new batting order in terms of fitting a player to a Titleist tour ball (most likely based off ball speed) is Pro V1, Pro V1x, and then AVX. Titleist has never openly discussed "lower compression" in regards to their urethane tour balls (but for AVX they kind of are) so it is a new thing to be aiming the discussion at having a tour ball for lower ball speed players. My inclination is the likes of Callaway Chrome Soft and Bridgestone RX has bit Titleist in the @ss long enough, now Titleist is (finally) adapting.

edit: AVS has been wildly successful here in our test market of Arizona. And FWIW we have be getting restocked on inventory of it.

Hummmm. Ok. So the idea is, this is our “tour caliber” lower compression ball that you should be playing INSTEAD of ProV1x if you swing a bit slower.

So it’s still essentially a chromesoft fighter with a Titleist ProV price tag. Got it.

Every time I read about $40+ a dozen golf balls it makes me incredibly Happy I bought 15 dozen Srixon XV’s last spring in the 6 ball promo packs at $9.95 a piece. Absolutely Love those things. Great ball and I’m sooooo much less irritated when I launch one into the $hit. LOL!!

That's a 2pc "Soft" distance ball with a Surlyn cover. No relation to AVX except the Titleist logo.

It's equivalent to a Srixon Soft Feel with a $10 upcharge for the Titleist name.

I think this Tour Soft may be replacing the NXT Tour S at the same price point. Titleist continues to set themselves up for failure with these $30+ / dozen 2-piece surlyn offerings.

Maybe that market will die out for them but they’ve been selling unexceptional low performance balls at inflated prices in green grass pro shops for at least 20 years now. They’d be crazy not to milk that market until it dries up, no?

My assumption is that it already has dried up if they are actually discontinuing the NXT Tour which has been their best seller after the ProV1 series.

According to Titleist’s website, the Tour Soft does not exist. Aside from Rock Bottom golf and the above photo, there is no proof this ball actually exists

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

That's a 2pc "Soft" distance ball with a Surlyn cover. No relation to AVX except the Titleist logo.

It's equivalent to a Srixon Soft Feel with a $10 upcharge for the Titleist name.

lol. no, really?

edit: it's only a two page thread. you'd think you'd start from the beginning, get caught up on things, and then chime in.

lol. no, really?

edit: it's only a two page thread. you'd think you'd start from the beginning, get caught up on things, and then chime in.

Huh?

I have replied half a dozen times to this thread beginning 11 hours after its inception. So yes I’ve read all of it from the beginning.

You posted a photo of a non-Urethane, non-AVX ball in the AVX thread and I added a disclaimer to that effect immediately after your photo.i thought that would help avoid any confusion due to the Tour Soft photo in an AVX thread.

Spouting off at the keyboard.........I did not see anything worthwhile in the AVX when I tried it. I think Titleist for the first time is really feeling some heat in the ball market. They have enjoyed the dominant position for so long that they look like they are not experienced enough in their leadership to properly respond. They don't know how to approach this because they haven't had to...ever. They appear to be throwing sh_t at the wall and seeing what consumers will go for. Callaway, Bridgestone, and now Taylormade to some extent have developed tech or a niche and have not abandoned it (most of Titleists competitors would give up on a product and not have the resources or patience to see it through just 3-5 years ago). They have marketed the improvement in that tech better than Titleist who continues to cling to the fact that they are the number one ball in golf. They continue to push that they have the best constructed, most consistent ball produced and its all about green side response when choosing a ball. All great stuff but 90% of the worlds hackers are not consistent and can't create clean enough contact to make that marketing come to life for them. So they are talking a language most golfers really don't understand or care about. Most people I see playing golf can't stop a 30 yard pitch with spin no matter what ball they are using however those same folks love to hit the ball a long way and when they don't it at least should feel like they did (thank you lower compression feel on mishits). Titleist has been talking to the elite/serious golfer (no way we are making a yellow ProV, oh look at us all dressed in our white dinner jackets at the PGA Show mentality) forever but the tide has shifted. People are dedicating less time to golf and joining fewer country clubs but they have access to much more information (marketing and advertisements in the form of forums and you tube reviews...etc) to make decisions. They may very well have the best ball and tech and if so they need to promote it to the new generation of golfers. I like the ProV and played it for years but I am now a Chrome Soft player as I like the feel better and the Truvis pattern is just fun and different. Fun and different...two words you will never hear from a Titleist employee. Ok I'm done now :)

lol. no, really?

Huh?

I have replied half a dozen times to this thread beginning 11 hours after its inception. So yes I’ve read all of it from the beginning.

You posted a photo of a non-Urethane, non-AVX ball in the AVX thread and I added a disclaimer to that effect immediately after your photo.i thought that would help avoid any confusion due to the Tour Soft photo in an AVX thread.

you are so right. thank you. confusion can occur between post #32 and #35 on the same page of a thread, and readers can lose the plot. I'm turning over a new leaf in '18, putting disclaimers on every post that is concerning to me.

#SavingWRXersLives #ReadingCompCanBeAStruggle

According to Titleist's website, the Tour Soft does not exist. Aside from Rock Bottom golf and the above photo, there is no proof this ball actually exists

It is on the USGA conforming list. Website update could be waiting until the official announcement.

As expected they were waiting for the PGA Merchandise Show...NXT Tour balls no longer on the site.

https://www.titleist...balls/tour-soft

Happy I bought 15 dozen Srixon XV’s last spring in the 6 ball promo packs at $9.95 a piece.

That was by far the steal of the year in golf balls. Especially considering how good the XV is.

I wish I had got more - down to my last 3 6-packs. Best ball of all time for me. I have tried at least 20 tour level balls this year XV beats them all!

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

Any update on the AVX at the show?

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

Guy at Edwin Watts said the AVX is going into wide release and it’s meant to replace the V1X. If that’s the case, I’m going to get my popcorn ready before the outrage machine cranks up

Guy at Edwin Watts is making things up.

My local shop just got them in. The owner Said only he and one other account in all of Columbus has them for now and they are still in the “test market” phase.

As stated earlier in this thread, his rep told him they are intended as a “high end” lower compression ball for the player that lacks the club head speed for the ProV1 or 1X. They are not replacing anything.

It’s just strange that there are pictures at the show and articles all over from the tour soft release but the AVX stays quiet. That’s why I asked if anyone that has been at the show has any updates, seems like there would be some news at the show for these too.

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

Guy at Edwin Watts said the AVX is going into wide release and it’s meant to replace the V1X. If that’s the case, I’m going to get my popcorn ready before the outrage machine cranks up

Guy at Edwin Watts is making things up.

My local shop just got them in. The owner Said only he and one other account in all of Columbus has them for now and they are still in the “test market” phase.

As stated earlier in this thread, his rep told him they are intended as a “high end” lower compression ball for the player that lacks the club head speed for the ProV1 or 1X. They are not replacing anything.

To be fair, I'm sure the guy at Edwin Watts was told that by his Titleist rep just as your local guy in Columbus was told what he was told by his rep. It seems like everyone has a story about the ball be discontinued, going to full production (wrxer that went to Titleist ball plant said that), it replacing a current ball, it not replacing a current ball. In this thread alone there are conflicting first/second hand accounts.

The only thing I know without a shadow of a doubt is that Titleist has had problems causing confusion with consumers in the past by having way too many balls on the market in similar price points. It looks like they are trying to fix that by consolidating the NXT line into a Tour soft. One ball, 2 colors. But they still have TruSoft, DT Solo (I think it's still around), Velocity, Tour Soft and now potentially 3 tour balls at outrageous prices. I actually enjoy the ball a lot. I just wish it was priced were the Tour Soft is priced.

There has not been any DT Solo since the TruSoft came out.

As for the reason there's nothing at the PGA Show about the AVX, the answer is they are not announcing the ball or opening it to wide release at this point. Says nothing one way or the other about what might happen next month or next year but it is not a product at this point, still test market.

Here's the way to tell. If the Titleist.com web page says it's in test marketing then it's in test marketing. They always update their web page in sync with actual product releases. If you "hear" something that is not on their web page then it's a rumor.

I figure no way they are going to widely release the AVX while they're trying to sell suckers...err, I mean golfers on this Tour Soft product. No way.

Titleist account holder here in FL. As far as I know AVX is available for repurchase but no guidelines as to for how long, or if its a permanent option in the lineup.

The tour soft as speculated is the rebranding of the two NXT models into one model.

Velocity is now available in Orange and Pink (if you havent seen it yet you will soon).

As for personal preference, I switched to AVX from V1 as it gives me a slightly lower launch and seems to eat up the wind better. I have played a bit with chrome soft models as well which I liked. The AVX for my game has a much better flight. I don't mind the lower spin around the greens - but some people who need more spin definitely might not like that.

As for personal preference, I switched to AVX from V1 as it gives me a slightly lower launch and seems to eat up the wind better. I have played a bit with chrome soft models as well which I liked. The AVX for my game has a much better flight. I don't mind the lower spin around the greens - but some people who need more spin definitely might not like that.

For me it has been borderline. I tend to need all the spin I can get. ProV1x had plenty spin and probably even a little to spare. AVX is just about enough but maybe a bit less than ideal for me. When our Bermuda greens get really firm I do have to guard against flying AVX the way to the back with a 6-iron or 7-iron. But with shorter clubs no problem.

Compared to ProV1x the AVX plays similar enough in spin that the extra driver distance (extra roll) more than makes up for it.

Just received my delivery of 2 doz Titleist AVX. After putting for 10 minutes on my super smooth mud room carpet, hitting 20 foot and 7 foot putts, the AVX is now the my ball of choice for 2018 until I can test against the Tour Soft and DT TruSoft in the spring.

The AVX has a very muted dull almost click to it. Not the mushy feel of a SuperSoft and not very soft feel of the Tour Soft and TruSoft. Not clicky like the Pro V1 or Pro V1x. It feels like its right in between.

With Snow on the ground and cold until March. I can't test true playing conditions, but putting is an easy choice.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

I got back from Orlando on Friday and actually got to play the AVX and the new DT in 3 rounds. My immediate impressions:

AVX is a touch firm. Not soft, but definitely not hard feeling. It flies noticeably lower (think mid flight, maybe a touch higher), but it goes straight. It doesn't want to turn over. I got a good amount of run with it. The ball will stop, but not quite as quickly as I might have hoped. Ironically, the DT stopped faster and was softer, which of course was not a surprise that it was softer. Off the putter, it was again firm; not soft, not hard.

I could definitely, game the AVX. After a couple more rounds I'll have a better picture of it, but unfortunately, I flew back into winter. But one thing for sure that stood out, the ball wants to go straight.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I think the TrueSoft, if it's like the DT Solo used to be, has about as high a trajectory as Titleist knows how to generate. The DT Solo has always been my cheap alternative on my yearly UK golf trips. I take a dozen of my regular balls and once they're gone I buy a dozen DT Solo. They do tend to land softly but it's as much height as spin. Although it certainly spins more on full shots than a Velocity, e6, etc.

The AVX is probably the lowest trajectory ball I've ever seriously used. I mean, most balls fly lower off the driver than my usual ProV1x but the AVX is not just lower it is much lower. And it's also pretty low off the irons on full shots, although with wedges it will still elevate just fine.

For me, switching from ProV1x to the AVX was a pretty simple trade-off. The low trajectory and extra roll give me significantly longer total driving distance. On firm fairways, no joke AVX will roll 20+ yards farther than ProV1x. On softer fairways, not so much but still a bit extra. The trade-off is there's no such thin as a low, spinning SW shot that flies 20, 30, 40 yards and stops within a couple feet of where it lands. That shot simply does not exist with AVX, at least not with my clubhead speed.

Everything else is a little bit here, little bit there one way or another but not much between it. The AVX flies lower and spins less on approach shots so it releases a bit farther but only slightly. AVX will still stop quickly if I take a fuller swing with a wedge and get some elevation on the ball but again, not quite as much suck-back potential as ProV1x.

And I've got to admit it, the AVX makes my occasional run-up shots from inside 60 yards more predictable. Hitting a PW or 9-iron runner from 50 yards with the ProV1x will occasionally dig in a bit on the second hop. So to be safe I usually go ahead and use an 8-iron to be sure it's all run and no check. Over the 10 weeks or so I've used the AVX I've found that I can rely on it (for better or worse) to release and run freely even if I hit those with a PW.

I think a better player would rather be able to gin up some spin any time they like and would probably have better control/knowledge of those running shots and whether they check or not. But I want a running shot to run every time and that used to be a challenge with ProV1. The low spinner from 40 yards was always cool but never exactly the shot I want to count on executing perfectly every time!