So, trying cheap balls this year

Hehateme

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried the Callaway Supersoft and liked them, but I don't have much experience with different balls. I moved from Top Flite to the Supersoft. I am wanting to try the Chromesoft to see if I can notice a difference

Β 

Chromesoft is great. Much more firm compared to SuperSoft. But, still soft. Also, it spins on the green. The biggest difference is price. SS is at 21 and Chromesoft 31.00-39.00 per dozen.

Less than $35 is cheap? Krikey... I was thinking less than $20. The only time I bought a box over $35 was a couple dozen TP5x a while back.

Β 

Like I said, I should have said no longer playing "premium or tour balls", that is what I meant by cheap balls. I played a few holes with the Srixon Q star last week and liked it, may play this ball again. Tried one of those Volvik Vivid matte finish balls last week, HATED it!

Β 

Gonna play Friday and try the Taylormade Tour Preferred. Seems like an amazing value for what you get--

I tried the Callaway Supersoft and liked them, but I don't have much experience with different balls. I moved from Top Flite to the Supersoft. I am wanting to try the Chromesoft to see if I can notice a difference

Β 

Chromesoft is great. Much more firm compared to SuperSoft. But, still soft. Also, it spins on the green. The biggest difference is price. SS is at 21 and Chromesoft 31.00-39.00 per dozen.

Β 

Supersoft 55s are $15 a dozen at Costco.

TM tpx and tp and pretty good. The project A ball is great as well. My favorite ball which can't be found anymore are the RZN Black. Not the last ones but before the last ones. The ball on the box had a red inner core instead of the blue on the recent model. I think they were high compression but with high swing speeds they felt and performed amazing.

Try the noodle soft n long. I usually buy 1dozen of these for every 3 dozen of chromesoft or chromesoft x I buy. I Use them on tight fairways and par 3's over water. I play to a 10 handicap an dont usually back the all up so I account for some more roll out with the noodles. I believe Taylormade still makes the noodle.

Β 

Β 

Supersoft 55s are $15 a dozen at Costco.

Β 

If you buy the yellow and black truvis chromesoft or x you can really tell how much spin they generate around the greens.

So, I was fortunate enough to be one of the beta testers for the 2018 Chrome Soft X--- Guess I won't be playing a non premium ball after all. What a fantastic golf ball!

Β 

IF I were to stick with one of the cheaper balls, I think the Srixon Q star would win out for me. Played it probably 4 rounds and it is a really good golf ball.

Less than $35 is cheap? Krikey... I was thinking less than $20. The only time I bought a box over $35 was a couple dozen TP5x a while back.

Β 

Like I said, I should have said no longer playing "premium or tour balls", that is what I meant by cheap balls. I played a few holes with the Srixon Q star last week and liked it, may play this ball again. Tried one of those Volvik Vivid matte finish balls last week, HATED it!

Β 

Gonna play Friday and try the Taylormade Tour Preferred. Seems like an amazing value for what you get--

Heck...Wanna know a ball that's fantastic at $31? The Project a. That ball is really, really nice. My next purchase will be the Snell MTB Black, which is in the same vein, I'm thinking. When I go "cheap" it's the Taylormade Distance for $15, or the Snell Get Sum for $20. Shot my best score ever with the Get Sum.

Β 

Β 

Heck...Wanna know a ball that's fantastic at $31? The Project a. That ball is really, really nice. My next purchase will be the Snell MTB Black, which is in the same vein, I'm thinking. When I go "cheap" it's the Taylormade Distance for $15, or the Snell Get Sum for $20. Shot my best score ever with the Get Sum.

TM Distance is a great cheap ball. No buzz bc it's a 2 piece surlyn, but v good ball.

Echo some of the advice that others have provided. Until the ball is limiting my game, I will play the "cheap" balls. I played some TF XL-Distnce and they are absolute rocks. Tee'd one of these up and thought the club broke when I hit it as it sounded like metal/glass shattering.

Β 

However, the TF D2+ and Gamers are great off the tee and on the green. These are my usual daily ball. Can be had on sale from Dick's at $30/3-15 pack for D2+ and 2/$25 for the Gamers. I also have played Maxi Soft-Fli balls when it gets cold.

Β 

Β 

Β 

I have project (a) to use this year but I keep thinking maybe the Get Sum would be a good every round option...

Echo some of the advice that others have provided. Until the ball is limiting my game, I will play the "cheap" balls. I played some TF XL-Distnce and they are absolute rocks. Tee'd one of these up and thought the club broke when I hit it as it sounded like metal/glass shattering.

Β 

However, the TF D2+ and Gamers are great off the tee and on the green. These are my usual daily ball. Can be had on sale from Dick's at $30/3-15 pack for D2+ and 2/$25 for the Gamers. I also have played Maxi Soft-Fli balls when it gets cold.

Β 

Also thought about going back to the gamer soft but for now it's just another option in store

If you want a Urethane ball get an Taylormade that has "Practice" stamped on it. On Ebay the other day you could get 9 dozen Lethal Practice for $120.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I vote for Ollies. 4 dozen mixed brands for $16. A mix of Top Flites, Pinnacles, Noodles, etc., and a few Titleists and Callaways to boot. Only a couple balls look bad, rest look pretty good.

Β 

For the duffer, can't be beat. I play around 12-15 hdcp. Feels good to know, an errant tee shot into the woods, only cost 33 cents and two strokes.

Β 

Lost a bag last year, bought another for this year.

It's been a little cold in my area so I picked up a box of Callaway Supersoft to play. I really like this ball and I might play this for awhile. Read about lack of spin on the greens, etc however my ball stopped within a couple feet of the pitch mark on hard (cold) greens yesterday. Very straight ball flight and long for the colder weather. I suspect it will do better when it's warmer and greens are softer. Had no issues chipping or putting with this ball.

Β 

And, I like the price! Give them a try.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

Titleist's parent company also makes the Pinnacle Rush and Pinnacle Soft. Retail price is $19.99. I am guessing that the quality control would be pretty good.

Β 

Anyone play one of those two?

Β 

I started playing with the Soft this fall. I was getting tired of losing my "good" balls in the leaves of fall and wanted a cheaper alternative. After reading some other threads on here about good "winter/cold" weather balls I decided to give the Soft a try.

Β 

I have to say I absolutely love this ball! I don't have any numbers, but for me it spins less off the driver as my mishits don't go as far off line as normal. It flies nicely and lands softly w/spin off my irons, and I like the feel off the putter. It does release more than a urethane ball off chips, but I have been able to compensate for that. Full disclosure, I don't have the 110-120+ mph swing speed of a lot of wrx'ers so it may perform differently for them.

Β 

This started out as a cheap ball to get me through the fall/winter, but I am definitely going to try this year round as my go to ball choice. It didn't hurt that DSG was clearing them out so I was able to get them for about $9.30 dozen (bought 6)! I think they still may be selling them at that price if you can find them.

Taylormade 2016 M2 Driver w/Fujikura 757 XStiff
Taylormade 2017 HL 3W 16.5
Ping I20 Hybrids 17 & 20 Stock Stiff
Ping IE 1 5-PW White Dot w/Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Cadence TR Anser 2 CB
Titleist Vokey SM6 54.10S & 58.12K

Was at a Callaway new product presentation last week and they gave out sleeves of the new Matte finish Super Hot. Played them for 4 holes yesterday in 65 degree weather and actually enjoyed playing them. 70 compression and my iron speed don't really mix, but they played pretty well. Approach shot on 18 was a 8 iron from 155 and the ball spun back on a dormant green.

Β 

20180125_185839.jpg?action=attachment&folder=default0%2FINBOX&id=1982858&attachment=2&user=2&context=11503676&decrypt=&sequence=1&delivery=view&scaleType=contain&width=1006&height=597

I've had a hard time finding a good ball since Nike discontinued the PD series. I like the Q-Stars but they are even spendy compared to the nikes I bought for years

Β 

Bridgestone Extra soft?

Β 

Not that I will play them but it doesn't seem stores carry them near me

Β 

They are hard to find retail. I bought them at DSG. But, they put them on clearance. There are plenty on line.

Β 

https://www.amazon.com/Golf-Extra-Soft-White-2017/dp/B01N9OJ4A6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1517449359&sr=8-5&keywords=bridgestone+extra+soft+golf+balls