So, trying cheap balls this year

Hehateme

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m 100% sure I could play just as well with a $12 previous gen Q Star as anything else, it really is a great crossover ball, I just don’t want to

ONOFF Labospec 358 β€” Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* β€” Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT β€” Nippon GOSTΒ 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MBβ€” MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* β€” MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron β€” MCI Black 125 β€œmild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 β€” Matrix PZ-125 ShaftΒ 

Why not try the Vice Tour ball? I think they do a non-urethane ball alongside the very good value Pro range.

Β 

OP - I do think you will notice a big performance drop off at your level of ability by switching to a non-urethane ball however. Occasionally if i'm out in the evening i'll just use whatever, and if i'm using an NXT or similar type ball, I really notice the difference on short wedge shots.

Β 

You'll be surprised at how important spin control is to your game when you're trying to judge roll out and release. Think about a 40 yard pitch with not much green to work with...with a urethane ball there is a bunch of ways to play the shot depending on the lie, wind, conditions etc. With a suryln ball your only chance to get it close is to try lobbing it in high and hope the green isnt too firm.

Β 

I like the tip Dean Sneel mentioned once, which is that if you can tell the difference around the green, you should be using a urethane ball.

Β 

That said, all the best OP curious to see how you find the transition!

Why not try the Vice Tour ball? I think they do a non-urethane ball alongside the very good value Pro range.

Β 

OP - I do think you will notice a big performance drop off at your level of ability by switching to a non-urethane ball however. Occasionally if i'm out in the evening i'll just use whatever, and if i'm using an NXT or similar type ball, I really notice the difference on short wedge shots.

Β 

You'll be surprised at how important spin control is to your game when you're trying to judge roll out and release. Think about a 40 yard pitch with not much green to work with...with a urethane ball there is a bunch of ways to play the shot depending on the lie, wind, conditions etc. With a suryln ball your only chance to get it close is to try lobbing it in high and hope the green isnt too firm.

Β 

I like the tip Dean Sneel mentioned once, which is that if you can tell the difference around the green, you should be using a urethane ball.

Β 

Β 

Just because I don't make great contact consistently I tend to prefer the "lobbing it high and hope the green isn't too firm" shot whenever possible. So like yourself, I can play OK with a Surlyn ball as long as it isn't a Titleist Velocity or older Pinnacle Gold or something ridiculously rock-like.

Β 

But my home courses greens range from pretty firm to OMG firm depending on time of year and weather. So at least once a round there's some version of the shot you describe. I stick to the urethane balls where at least if I *do* make clean contact I can leave myself a makeable putt.

Β 

Nothing in golf is more frustrating than nipping a little 40-yard wedge shots perfectly, carrying that front bunker by about ten feet and watching the ball run all the way to the back fringe, leaving a longish two-putt from there.

Β 

But here's my thinking. I know some people just spin the ball too darned much and a Surlyn ball isn't so much "low performance" as "a way to cure a problem". But for the vast majority of us who do not suffer from Greg Norman-esque spin, there is simply no downside to choosing a urethane ball. Not nowadays when they are suited to all swing speeds and available at very affordable prices. We get the extra control (at least potential for control) and don't give up anything in return.

I like the Vice Pro series (Urethane cover) at Vicegolf.com. Pro Plus (hard), Pro (Medium) and Pro Soft (Soft). Order 5 dz at a time and they are $26 change per dz. I have been playing the Pro and it is a great ball IMHO.

Β 

BT

Β 

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Just because I don't make great contact consistently I tend to prefer the "lobbing it high and hope the green isn't too firm" shot whenever possible. So like yourself, I can play OK with a Surlyn ball as long as it isn't a Titleist Velocity or older Pinnacle Gold or something ridiculously rock-like.

Β 

But my home courses greens range from pretty firm to OMG firm depending on time of year and weather. So at least once a round there's some version of the shot you describe. I stick to the urethane balls where at least if I *do* make clean contact I can leave myself a makeable putt.

Β 

Nothing in golf is more frustrating than nipping a little 40-yard wedge shots perfectly, carrying that front bunker by about ten feet and watching the ball run all the way to the back fringe, leaving a longish two-putt from there.

Β 

But here's my thinking. I know some people just spin the ball too darned much and a Surlyn ball isn't so much "low performance" as "a way to cure a problem". But for the vast majority of us who do not suffer from Greg Norman-esque spin, there is simply no downside to choosing a urethane ball. Not nowadays when they are suited to all swing speeds and available at very affordable prices. We get the extra control (at least potential for control) and don't give up anything in return.

Β 

It fascinates me how much science goes into the design of a multilayer ball so that it can spin roughly the same with a driver, but so much more with a wedge in hand.

Β 

I'm far from the best wedge player around, but like you I appreciate knowing that if I hit the shot how I want, I get a very predictable performance. IMO, once you have the correct method, the lower spinning pitch shot is much easier to execute than a high floater, which is why you see it more often on tour.

Yeah, these recent multilayer urethane balls...say the last five years or so...are absolute marvels. They have pretty much perfected what a wide range of people need from a golf ball. Low driver spin, moderate iron spin, great short club spin and legal max (or near-max) ball speed for almost any clubhead speed. And durable to boot.

Β 

Little engineering wonders and they come twelve to a box.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I have 2 sleeves left of the dozen Vice Tour I purchased.........plan to use them in a few rounds whenever I can golf again

I remember reading every page of a thread on here about what ball everyone shot their lowest scores with and a TON of people who were low handicap or played with low handicap (low single digits) said they used cheap balls. If you are good enough to shoot good scores with a good ball, you are good enough to shoot them with a β€œcheap” ball.

I remember reading every page of a thread on here about what ball everyone shot their lowest scores with and a TON of people who were low handicap or played with low handicap (low single digits) said they used cheap balls. If you are good enough to shoot good scores with a good ball, you are good enough to shoot them with a β€œcheap” ball.

Β 

Went 2 under today with a mix of Top Flight Gamers and Titleist Velocity's in 46 degree weather-- :)

Β 

For sure a learning curve but---

Β 

Went 2 under today with a mix of Top Flight Gamers and Titleist Velocity's in 46 degree weather-- :)

Β 

Β 

I’ve always found it kind of counter intuitive that good players that can generate plenty of spin refuse to use anything but the balls with the highest spin characteristics. They treat the balls you mentioned like the plague. I’m not saying they are wrong for playing what they want, but weaker players would actually benefit more from a high end ball more than a good player would IMO (disregarding the fact they are more likely to lose those balls and spend more money buying new ones obviously)

Β 

Β 

Β 

I’ve always found it kind of counter intuitive that good players that can generate plenty of spin refuse to use anything but the balls with the highest spin characteristics. They treat the balls you mentioned like the plague. I’m not saying they are wrong for playing what they want, but weaker players would actually benefit more from a high end ball more than a good player would IMO (disregarding the fact they are more likely to lose those balls and spend more money buying new ones obviously)

Β 

The reason that a player who generates plenty of spin (low handicap) plays the premium ball is it allows him to be more specific with his shots, his targets, than he would be with a non premium ball. Obvious answer I know. With the non premium ball the low handicap player ends up playing to full shots because of the ball rather than simply playing to yardages that allow specific shots, more precise shots.

Β 

The disadvantage a high handicap player has playing a premium ball is what the low handicap player see's as an advantage, and that is spin. Not only does the premium ball have more back spin it has more side spin, and that is a killer for the high handicapper. Plus, the high handicapper looses balls at $4 each rather than $2 each. Again, a pretty obvious answer I know.

Β 

EDIT: I had to look up counter intuitive LOL

I’m 100% sure I could play just as well with a $12 previous gen Q Star as anything else, it really is a great crossover ball, I just don’t want to

We all could Brother!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Cheap/under 35 and surlyn, that narrows it down to every 2 and 3 pc surlyn ball made, lol.

Β 

Bang for your buck=

Β 

TF gamer and gamer soft

TF D2 feel or distance

Β 

Something with a smidge more spin=

Β 

Srixon Tri speed Tour

Β 

Don't care much about feel and want some distance-

Β 

OG Pinnacle Gold or Titleist Velocity

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play cheap balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

Β 

So, what ball do I play? None of the "soft" balls work for me. Grabbed a sleeve of Titleist NXT's from the shop and will try them as soon as it warms up (Live in Florida). Tried the E6 line and they are okay. SO, I guess the definition of cheap would be less than $35. Oh, as well, find myself liking the yellow balls more and more, so that would be a bonus. Help a brother out-

Great topic here, and following closely.

I also play to a 2 handicap and have played the prov exclusively.

Β 

I am looking for something new to try this year, under $35

Kind of a new years resolution, gonna try to play cheap balls this year to see if they affect my overall play. Currently carrying a 2.8 hdcp and typically play premium balls only. Cheapest ball I play is the Chrome soft X and love it. Started playing the Titleist AVX two months ago and really like the way it plays as well.

Β 

So, what ball do I play? None of the "soft" balls work for me. Grabbed a sleeve of Titleist NXT's from the shop and will try them as soon as it warms up (Live in Florida). Tried the E6 line and they are okay. SO, I guess the definition of cheap would be less than $35. Oh, as well, find myself liking the yellow balls more and more, so that would be a bonus. Help a brother out-

Great topic here, and following closely.

I also play to a 2 handicap and have played the prov exclusively.

Β 

I am looking for something new to try this year, under $35

Β 

Do you mean something under $35 at the counter of a golf course pro shop? That means settling for a lower performance ball most likely.

Β 

Or under $35 by shopping for best prices? Many, many Urethane ball choices.

Yeah, these recent multilayer urethane balls...say the last five years or so...are absolute marvels. They have pretty much perfected what a wide range of people need from a golf ball. Low driver spin, moderate iron spin, great short club spin and legal max (or near-max) ball speed for almost any clubhead speed. And durable to boot.

Β 

Little engineering wonders and they come twelve to a box.

Β 

Agreed. I stocked up on last years Taylor Made Tour Preferred X. For me it works great with every club in the bag. Cheap and premium - $23 on Taylor Made site with free shipping.

I just stocked up and bought 4 dozen used PROV1's off of golfballsdirect.com. Someone mentioned that site earlier. You can choose 3 levels of "used" on a range from barely used to balls that have tree marks on them. I went with the best quality and paid just under $27 per dozen with logos. It's $3 more per dozen for balls without someone else's customized logos on them. I think it's a steal!

What I don't get is why there are 2 handicappers here wanting to switch to a cheaper ball than the ProV1. You probably hardly lose a ball - and a dozen would last you 6 to 8 rounds at least...unless you play everyday and scuff/lose balls like crazy but still almost break par

Β 

Just seems weird to me. If you are a 15 handicap who loses a few balls here and there, then i'd get it

What I don't get is why there are 2 handicappers here wanting to switch to a cheaper ball than the ProV1. You probably hardly lose a ball - and a dozen would last you 6 to 8 rounds at least...unless you play everyday and scuff/lose balls like crazy but still almost break par

Β 

Just seems weird to me. If you are a 15 handicap who loses a few balls here and there, then i'd get it

Β 

First of all I am not a 2 HCP nor do I play true tour golf balls since they are not designed for a 17 HCP like myself. There are some people that purchase consumer items based strictly upon brand and will pay the going price. That's fine, and Titleist clearly is the top brand in the game for tour level golf balls. However, some golfers that pay close attention to the market place or are used to purchasing the best value products in their business life recognize that certain purchases are strictly emotional and usually a bad deal. Titleist's tour balls are priced in a way to support their large marketing efforts and sponsorship of tour pros, in addition to adding a large amount to their bottom line. For someone like myself, Titleist tour balls are overpriced when compared to balls like the Chrome, Snell MTB, or the U/Fli. They are all terrific balls with the highest ratings and will likely play well for the high level golfer. But if you are used to purchasing based on best value you do not want to waste money (even though it is not a fortune) based on brand. Many other golfers feel that they must play the same ball as most of the tour pros so they go with the Titleist ProV1/X brand (the most common ball found in the woods). As a higher handicap I try different golf balls including the Titleist TruSoft and have found that the best golf balls for me are the e6 Soft and the Gamer Soft. The e6 is about twice the price as the Gamer Soft so I usually stock up on the Gamers. I will buy some Bridgestones at our pro shop to help them out a little but I know that it is not a value buy. Much of it depends on the amount of weight you put on value for an item even though you can afford the most expensive choice.

Hurricane Golf has Z Stars, regular version and the harder XV, for $20/dozen. These are fantastic balls. Here is a link to a 4 dozen bundle but you can get smaller quantities as well...https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Srixon-Z-Star-XV-4-Tour-Yellow-LOOSE-5-Golf-Balls-3-Dozen/282558767820?hash=item41c9d0a2cc:g:TE4AAOSwBkRaCKyR

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood AnserΒ - the "real deal!"

Lady srixon soft feel. Laugh all you want. Great ball. Bomber off tee and wonderful off my tei3. $12/doz.

Β 

It looks like the Soft Feel mens now have the same properties as the ladies ball and it comes in yellow. Check out the comparison chart towards the bottom of the page.

Β 

https://www.golfdisc...0928-adType^PLA

I've been disliking the lack of compression I seem to be getting off the higher lofted clubs(rainbows/weak flight) lately with the cold weather and urethane covers (TP Red/TM Lethal) so I picked up a dozen Callaway SS to try out.

Β 

Tested them yesterday on a dead range with my 58, 52, 48, 40, 24 lofted irons. Temp was 50* and I let the balls sit on the ground for a bit to let the temp on them drop a little. The SS was about 3-6 yards longer on every club using 3 shot groups and guestimating the center of the grouping and shooting back to the bag. No bias there as I went to the best guess middle of the circle and shot back. All the yellow balls were farther away from the bag than the white ones. The SS did feel like they compressed a little better without coming off the face so weak feeling. Total distance lost vs what I consider to be my summer time yardages was about a club and a half for my normal balls vs a little more than a club for the SS. Was it due to things like higher ball speeds or less spin? No idea. To be honest, I didn't sense a real "feel" difference between the two off the irons on full swings like I thought I would. Never got a chance to hit any of the longer clubs to compare but will do that at anther time. Waited till last to do a little chipping around the green so the balls would cool down as much as they were going to before dark hit. Chipping seemed to be about equal, maybe even a hair to the SS's favor. Definitely softer/quieter feel on the chips over the urethane balls. Didn't get a chance to test on chips where I could attempt to really generate any spin to see differences between the two. I have a theory that the urethane balls are losing their advantage once the urethane layer gets cold, no science to prove it although I would love to see some if there is any that offers info one way or the other. So far they seem to be an okay ball in my eyes, have to wait until I actually start playing with them and hitting them into greens to see which side of the fence they fall on.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6SΒ  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid atΒ 20*Β w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

Just went in with my brother and got 8 dozen Vice pros (4 dozen each). Five dozen gets you the best price. Unbelievably arrived in 2-3 days from Germany! Haven't played them yet, but lots of testing on YouTube verifying they perform very, very similar to ProV1's at a fraction of the price. How can you beat that?

Lady srixon soft feel. Laugh all you want. Great ball. Bomber off tee and wonderful off my tei3. $12/doz.

Β 

It looks like the Soft Feel mens now have the same properties as the ladies ball and it comes in yellow. Check out the comparison chart towards the bottom of the page.

Β 

https://www.golfdisc...0928-adType^PLA

Β 

Thanks for the heads up, will have to check those out. Saying "Lady Srixon Purple, two black dots" on the first tee always gets some looks. But it is a great ball.

Β 

I don't really know much about golf balls. It goes just as far off the tee, spins into greens but never backs up ever, and has nice check and go greenside. But where it really shines is the putter. It might be mental, but I feel like i cannot come up short with the lady purples off the tei3 insert.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6XΒ 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S