Charles Howell III testing newest "Gen2" PXG irons: 2018 CareerBuilder Challenge

Go back and read the first sentence of the post I responded to. Yes you are purposely dancing around your comment and how it applies to why people don't complain as much about the two brands mentioned. Let's see if you can be honest and do a direct comparison between them and PXG and then answer your own silly question.

You touched on it after your silly commercial for PXG but try actually diving into it instead of making claims that are disingenuous.

Go back and read the first sentence of the post I responded to. Yes you are purposely dancing around your comment and how it applies to why people don't complain as much about the two brands mentioned. Let's see if you can be honest and do a direct comparison between them and PXG and then answer your own silly question.

You touched on it after your silly commercial for PXG but try actually diving into it instead of making claims that are disingenuous.

Whos dancing around what?? What are you accusing me of being disingenous about? Seriously, every PXG post on here youre bagging incessantly on them gets really old. Funny how most of the PXG listings on ebay have multiple followers guess theyre not as unpopular as you think. Also I did a comparison both Miura and PXG cost about the same. Pxg has more tech and are more forgiving. Plain and simple. Also lot of golfers in this price point must feel the same since PXG has dwarfed MIuras sales.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find hilarious is that no one is bagging on Miura or Epon to the extent they are about the cost of PXG. Just because they dont like the owner or commericals. Frankly at that price I'll pay for the tech in PXG rather than a hand forging by Miura San.

I get what you're saying, and I don't have a beef with you or anyone else buying PXG, but Parsons is not your typical owner. So for me, even though I could afford them, I would never buy PXG because I do not want to give a dime to that man.

And that's a perfectly valid reason to not buy something. But you're not the one that comments in every single PXG thread on golfwrx because you hate them.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Whos dancing around what?? What are you accusing me of being disingenous about? Seriously, every PXG post on here youre bagging incessantly on them gets really old. Funny how most of the PXG listings on ebay have multiple followers guess theyre not as unpopular as you think. Also I did a comparison both Miura and PXG cost about the same. Pxg has more tech and are more forgiving. Plain and simple. Also lot of golfers in this price point must feel the same since PXG has dwarfed MIuras sales.

He posts in these PXG threads more than any PXG owner that I know of. I hope most people actually interested in reading these thread have noted this. I am curious, are there people like him in Scotty Cameron threads? (or Bettinardi, Lamb, Byron Morgan, Miura, Epon, or literally any high end shaft manufacturer etc etc)

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

New member here. Found this thread (and others) as research on PXG.

Wow, there's a lot of testosterone on this forum! Even some guys who can't sleep and get up in the middle of the night to write profusely about how they are indifferent towards PXG. Reminds me of Lady McBeth: "The lady doeth protest too much!"

I have a fitting with the regional PXG master fitter tomorrow. I had been planning to order new Titleist AP2s. But on Friday, as a President's Day celebration, my company gave everyone a $2,000 bonus because of the Tax Reform bill that Congress passed just before New Year's. If the feel and data of PXGs pass my threshold, I will add that $2,000 bonus (I know, mere "crumbs" to some) to the $1200 I would have spent on the AP2s and, voila!, I have enough for the set of PXGs that only cost me $1200.

What a country!!!

Wow, there's a lot of testosterone on this forum! Even some guys who can't sleep and get up in the middle of the night to write profusely about how they are indifferent towards PXG. Reminds me of Lady McBeth: "The lady doeth protest too much!"

I have a fitting with the regional PXG master fitter tomorrow. I had been planning to order new Titleist AP2s. But on Friday, as a President's Day celebration, my company gave everyone a $2,000 bonus because of the Tax Reform bill that Congress passed just before New Year's. If the feel and data of PXGs pass my threshold, I will add that $2,000 bonus (I know, mere "crumbs" to some) to the $1200 I would have spent on the AP2s and, voila!, I have enough for the set of PXGs that only cost me $1200.

What a country!!!

This Thread is about the new Gen2 irons. Will you be fitted for the Gen2 irons? Perhaps before buying you need to try the Gen2 first as they might be a little better.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

What a country!!!

This Thread is about the new Gen2 irons. Will you be fitted for the Gen2 irons? Perhaps before buying you need to try the Gen2 first as they might be a little better.

I believe the fitter only has Gen1 heads in the van. But I would order a Gen2 set, since buying a new set of an iron that's about to go out of production makes little sense.

He posts in these PXG threads more than any PXG owner that I know of. I hope most people actually interested in reading these thread have noted this. I am curious, are there people like him in Scotty Cameron threads? (or Bettinardi, Lamb, Byron Morgan, Miura, Epon, or literally any high end shaft manufacturer etc etc)

You mean companies that actually have a history, a pedigree, quality, a reason that their product takes more man hours to produce ( actual craftsmanship) etc etc? If you looked, and I am sure you have, yes there are people that comment on similar things in those threads. For the record, PXG isn't a high-end manufacturer, they have a high-end price point with a product comparable to the middle of the market. Maybe that helps you see the difference.

Yes I do post in some of the PXG threads for two reasons. One to bring some honesty to their insane, childish ad campaigns and number two is to bring some honesty to the ridiculous claims by some of their owners, SOME of which make the same ridiculous claims. Golfers are confused enough without being taught to believe that they have to spend double or triple the amount for the same or lesser product.

You have access to sales numbers? Maybe you should share. Ebay listing is your market indicator? What is your definition of tech? Some of the Mizuno drivers seem to have a lot of "tech" so does that make them better than something else?

What a country!!!

I believe the fitter only has Gen1 heads in the van. But I would order a Gen2 set, since buying a new set of an iron that's about to go out of production makes little sense.

Good idea. PXG has several model of irons, so make sure to go with the best for you.

In addition, the Gen2 irons it appears are not available for order until 4/19...two months.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

What a country!!!

Frankly IO would take advantage of the deal and buy a set of the 1st gen for $350 a club then you can also get the 2nd gen for $175. Sell one set then basically paid about $1500-1800 for a set.

Feel is subjective, so.......

Pretty much everything? Well that must have been expensive. So did you travel to Japan or do you have a local fitter with all of the latest from all over the world?

So if you won some kind of contest where you got a set of PXGs you would decline since theyre middle of the pack performance and manufacturing wise, according to you.

right the 1st gen are $350 a club and if you order by 3/17 you can get a set of 2nd gen for $175 a club. You have to get similair clubs cant buy a set of 0311XF and get 2nd gen 0311T what I was told by a PXG guy.

One, it’s “per head” when speaking PXG, and when you shaft and opt for darkness, the price goes up (as I mentioned above). Two your not making money on 3+ year old irons that are available everywhere at moment. Bob isn’t stupid. Trust they aren’t “giving” you anything. You will still be paying $400-550 an iron when said and done with a nice shaft and on higher end if you get black.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Hes a JDM fanboy so anything not made by Miura, Epon or Onoff will be in his eyes inferior.

right the 1st gen are $350 a club and if you order by 3/17 you can get a set of 2nd gen for $175 a club. You have to get similair clubs cant buy a set of 0311XF and get 2nd gen 0311T what I was told by a PXG guy.

One, it’s “per head” when speaking PXG, and when you shaft and opt for darkness, the price goes up (as I mentioned above). Two your not making money on 3+ year old irons that are available everywhere at moment. Bob isn’t stupid. Trust they aren’t “giving” you anything. You will still be paying $400-550 an iron when said and done with a nice shaft and on higher end if you get black.

Ok where are you getting $400-550 a head? I was quoted $350 for head, shaft and grip. Who cares about black finish upcharge. I mean I can go quote 718AP2s at $200 a head if I put in all the upcharges

I said $350 a head silver, $450 darkness. When adding a shaft, grip, you will spend $400-550 per club. Pending shaft you choose, mine we’re +$90 a club. Get it?

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

Wow.... I have always been a Chucky three sticks fan and know he's a huge club ho and likes tinkering with his clubs so I'm sure PXG Irons are nice but man the pissing

match and people getting butt hurt is ridiculous.

Who care what someone else spends their money on ? I did love the fact that someone is getting new Irons thanks to a bonus check generated by the new tax cuts. :)

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Seriously, there are no game changers out there (or else PXG or some other brand staffers would have dominated). People can play what they want and pay for what they want without justifying their purchases to others. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would question many of my non golf purchases too LOL. And 3 years between lineup refreshes isn't bad at all.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Wow.... I have always been a Chucky three sticks fan and know he's a huge club ho and likes tinkering with his clubs so I'm sure PXG Irons are nice but man the pissing

They are both victims of the business strategy called "disruption". The business intentionally takes a position out on the edge, creates high visibility for themselves and measurably moves the needle on brand awareness.

Most people notice, but go about their business unaffected. But others, at both extremes, seem to become fully engaged beyond any reasonable measure and just can't help themselves from taking sides loudly and frequently.

A couple of previous disruptors:

• Apple in their earlier days: ie. their 1984-themed Super Bowl Commercial
  • Donald Trump's real estate/hotel business in the 90's and '00s
  • Donald Trump's presidential campaign
  • Bob Parsons' GoDaddy branding (is Paige Spiranac as a brand ambassador any different than Danica Patrick in GoDaddy commercials???)

So the PXG approach is nothing new. It's been done before. Rinse, repeat. But people at the negative extreme in all of these examples can't get past it and are only left with their logical conclusion that the product is crap.

Most people get over it. Some never will.

Ive played many sets of PXG and at the time they were released, they were near the top in terms of performance and forgiveness, i would say definitely in the top 5 sets of irons for Players CB and GI irons. However irons such as Epic/ Epic Pro and TM790 and AP3 seem to have surpassed them in terms of Performance and raw distance. I no longer game the PXG irons but if the new PXG 311Ts give the same distance as 790s and Epic Pros, i will be bagging a set and if somehow they jack the lofts and forgiveness to match the Callaway Epics while retaining good feel and decent spin, i will have several sets.

* I'm speaking from a mid handicappers point of view (3.8) with average amateur swing speed and i realize that there are strong players out there that don't need any more "cheater" distance nor do they need forgiveness outside of a dime spot. A good iron striker or a strong player will have different needs and different likes and dislikes when sourcing out the perfect irons.

I love all the misinformation about prices from people that may or may not have actually gotten a real quote. I paid under $300 per iron with KBS CTapers and New Decade grips. People seem to love to compare the price of stock clubs that you'd find at a Golf Galaxy to a set of PXGs with the most expensive shaft and grip known to man, whatever that may be.

Titleist TS2 driver & 3 wood
PXG 0317 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons
Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter

Who care what someone else spends their money on ? I did love the fact that someone is getting new Irons thanks to a bonus check generated by the new tax cuts. :)

My point exactly the bile and venom directed at PXG and people that play them is ridiculous. If PXG irons were $125 a stick people on WRX would be lavishing praise as to how great they are.

I love all the misinformation about prices from people that may or may not have actually gotten a real quote. I paid under $300 per iron with KBS CTapers and New Decade grips. People seem to love to compare the price of stock clubs that you'd find at a Golf Galaxy to a set of PXGs with the most expensive shaft and grip known to man, whatever that may be.

i got a real quote from a PXG rep and a dealer. $350 a club with shaft and grip only upcharges are for graphite shafts and dark finish which personally not a fan of since the wear easily.

That's a great quote. I bought a few years ago and they were less then. I just haven't found that they are $350 for just the head and then shaft + grip + labor to build.

Titleist TS2 driver & 3 wood
PXG 0317 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons
Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter

You would what would be great, Since Bob Parsons Is a Billionaire. How about allowing people who have purchased there PXG set from a PXG retailer and larger then average trade in value on the clubs. If clubs are $350 give allow them to trade in the clubs and then sell the new set for $175 an iron. And then on his part maybe donate those trade in clubs to colleges. Or even yet sell them as a pre-owned I can't see them losing anyway. Normal 0311 set $350x7(4-pw)=2450 Sell for 1000-1500, retain there current players, which would incentivze them to stay with PXG rather then see a new iron and then want to compare

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

Imagine if they bought their PXG's with a wage increase instead of a one-time bonus! New sticks every year!

Actually, I got both the $2,000 bonus AND a pretty good raise, too. That's what I meant by "What a country!"

Let me try to clear up the misinformation.

I got fit today and placed an order (already confirmed by return email from PXG HQ) for Gen1 0311T irons, a couple of 0311 Forged wedges and 19* and 22* 0317X Hybrids

Here are the current RETAIL Prices today:

0311 and 0311T Irons $350 ea.

0311 Forged Wedges 350 ea.

0317X Hybrids 550 ea.

Available Stock Iron Shafts (no upcharge):

Dynamic Gold AMT S400 TI

Dynamic Gold AMT X100 TI

Dynamic Gold S400 TI

Dynamic Gold X100 TI

KBS C-Taper R, S, X (110, 120, 130)

KBS C-Taper Lite R, S, X (105, 110, 115)

KBS S-Taper R, S, X (110, 120, 130)

KBS Tour R, S, X (110, 120, 130)

Nippon Modus 105 S, X

Nippon Modus 120 S, X

Nippon NS Pro 850 R, S

Nippon NS Pro 950 R, S

Project X 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0

Project X LZ 5.5, 6.0, 6.5

True Temper XP 105 S

True Temper XP 95 R

Available Stock Graphite Iron Shafts ($25 upcharge per iron)

Accra iSeries 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90

Aerotech Steel Fiber 70 (A, R), 95 (R, S) 110 (S)

Project X Black 65 (5.0)

Project X FBLUS 55 (4.5)

Project X LZ 5.0, 6.0

UST Recoil ES 450 (F1), 460 (F2, F3)

Available Stock Hybrid Shafts (no upcharge)

Accra I-Series i90, i80 , i70, i60, i50, i40

Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90 (S, X)

Aldila NV 2KXV Green 85 (S, X)

Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 85 ®

Altus Tour 80 (R, S, X)

Project X FBLUS 65 (5.0), 55 (4.5)

Tensei CK Blue 80 (R, S, X)

Bassara E-Series 55 (L), 60 ®

Those are retail prices if you get fitted by the master fitter and order directly from PXG. If you are a member of a private club and the pro shop is owned by the members, you may have access to favorable pricing, but that is a case-by-case basis how generous the Board wants to be and still make a small profit for the Club. If you belong to a private club but it is owned privately by an individual, a small group or by a for-profit corporation, most likely you would be charged retail.

Gen2 Irons will cost $395 ea.

You would what would be great, Since Bob Parsons Is a Billionaire. How about allowing people who have purchased there PXG set from a PXG retailer and larger then average trade in value on the clubs. If clubs are $350 give allow them to trade in the clubs and then sell the new set for $175 an iron. And then on his part maybe donate those trade in clubs to colleges. Or even yet sell them as a pre-owned I can't see them losing anyway. Normal 0311 set $350x7(4-pw)=2450 Sell for 1000-1500, retain there current players, which would incentivze them to stay with PXG rather then see a new iron and then want to compare

You don't have to be a Billionaire to do all of that. You can do it yourself on the free market. You can sell them privately or on eBay and hold out for a premium price...the same as your hypothetical larger-than-average trade-in value. Or you can donate them to a college or high school team and take a tax-deduction (to the extent that you or Bob still can under Tax Reform).

Free-market capitalism can accomplish all that you wish. Although it would be easier to have the Billionaire do it for us. Probably not going to happen.

I got fit today and placed an order (already confirmed by return email from PXG HQ) for Gen1 0311T irons, a couple of 0311 Forged wedges and 19* and 22* 0317X Hybrids

0317X Hybrids 550 ea.

Dynamic Gold AMT S400 TI

Dynamic Gold AMT X100 TI

Dynamic Gold S400 TI

Dynamic Gold X100 TI

Nippon Modus 105 S, X

Nippon Modus 120 S, X

Nippon NS Pro 850 R, S

Nippon NS Pro 950 R, S

True Temper XP 105 S

True Temper XP 95 R

Project X Black 65 (5.0)

Project X FBLUS 55 (4.5)

Project X LZ 5.0, 6.0

Altus Tour 80 (R, S, X)

Those are retail prices if you get fitted by the master fitter and order directly from PXG. If you are a member of a private club and the pro shop is owned by the members, you may have access to favorable pricing, but that is a case-by-case basis how generous the Board wants to be and still make a small profit for the Club. If you belong to a private club but it is owned privately by an individual, a small group or by a for-profit corporation, most likely you would be charged retail.

Well there you go I was quoted by PXG rep at $350. Did you do the Gen 2 deal at $175 a club?

Well basically doing same thing if you buy a new set of Gen 1 get a set of Gen 2 for $175

0317X Hybrids 550 ea.

Dynamic Gold AMT S400 TI

Dynamic Gold AMT X100 TI

Dynamic Gold S400 TI

Dynamic Gold X100 TI

Nippon Modus 105 S, X

Nippon Modus 120 S, X

Nippon NS Pro 850 R, S

Nippon NS Pro 950 R, S

True Temper XP 105 S

True Temper XP 95 R

Project X Black 65 (5.0)

Project X FBLUS 55 (4.5)

Project X LZ 5.0, 6.0

Altus Tour 80 (R, S, X)

Well there you go I was quoted by PXG rep at $350. Did you do the Gen 2 deal at $175 a club?

Of course.