Charles Howell III testing newest "Gen2" PXG irons: 2018 CareerBuilder Challenge

I love all the misinformation about prices from people that may or may not have actually gotten a real quote. I paid under $300 per iron with KBS CTapers and New Decade grips. People seem to love to compare the price of stock clubs that you'd find at a Golf Galaxy to a set of PXGs with the most expensive shaft and grip known to man, whatever that may be.

Let me try to clear up the misinformation.

I got fit today and placed an order (already confirmed by return email from PXG HQ) for Gen1 0311T irons, a couple of 0311 Forged wedges and 19* and 22* 0317X Hybrids

Here are the current RETAIL Prices today:

0311 and 0311T Irons $350 ea.

0311 Forged Wedges 350 ea.

0317X Hybrids 550 ea.

Available Stock Iron Shafts (no upcharge):

Dynamic Gold AMT S400 TI

Dynamic Gold AMT X100 TI

Dynamic Gold S400 TI

Dynamic Gold X100 TI

KBS C-Taper R, S, X (110, 120, 130)

KBS C-Taper Lite R, S, X (105, 110, 115)

KBS S-Taper R, S, X (110, 120, 130)

KBS Tour R, S, X (110, 120, 130)

Nippon Modus 105 S, X

Nippon Modus 120 S, X

Nippon NS Pro 850 R, S

Nippon NS Pro 950 R, S

Project X 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0

Project X LZ 5.5, 6.0, 6.5

True Temper XP 105 S

True Temper XP 95 R

Available Stock Graphite Iron Shafts ($25 upcharge per iron)

Accra iSeries 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90

Aerotech Steel Fiber 70 (A, R), 95 (R, S) 110 (S)

Project X Black 65 (5.0)

Project X FBLUS 55 (4.5)

Project X LZ 5.0, 6.0

UST Recoil ES 450 (F1), 460 (F2, F3)

Available Stock Hybrid Shafts (no upcharge)

Accra I-Series i90, i80 , i70, i60, i50, i40

Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90 (S, X)

Aldila NV 2KXV Green 85 (S, X)

Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 85 ®

Altus Tour 80 (R, S, X)

Project X FBLUS 65 (5.0), 55 (4.5)

Tensei CK Blue 80 (R, S, X)

Bassara E-Series 55 (L), 60 ®

Those are retail prices if you get fitted by the master fitter and order directly from PXG. If you are a member of a private club and the pro shop is owned by the members, you may have access to favorable pricing, but that is a case-by-case basis how generous the Board wants to be and still make a small profit for the Club. If you belong to a private club but it is owned privately by an individual, a small group or by a for-profit corporation, most likely you would be charged retail.

Gen2 Irons will cost $395 ea.

Well there you go I was quoted by PXG rep at $350. Did you do the Gen 2 deal at $175 a club?

Of course.

Smart man what setup in the Gen2

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love all the misinformation about prices from people that may or may not have actually gotten a real quote. I paid under $300 per iron with KBS CTapers and New Decade grips. People seem to love to compare the price of stock clubs that you'd find at a Golf Galaxy to a set of PXGs with the most expensive shaft and grip known to man, whatever that may be.

Let me try to clear up the misinformation.

I got fit today and placed an order (already confirmed by return email from PXG HQ) for Gen1 0311T irons, a couple of 0311 Forged wedges and 19* and 22* 0317X Hybrids

Here are the current RETAIL Prices today:

0311 and 0311T Irons $350 ea.

0311 Forged Wedges 350 ea.

0317X Hybrids 550 ea.

Those are retail prices if you get fitted by the master fitter and order directly from PXG. If you are a member of a private club and the pro shop is owned by the members, you may have access to favorable pricing, but that is a case-by-case basis how generous the Board wants to be and still make a small profit for the Club. If you belong to a private club but it is owned privately by an individual, a small group or by a for-profit corporation, most likely you would be charged retail.

Gen2 Irons will cost $395 ea.

Well there you go I was quoted by PXG rep at $350. Did you do the Gen 2 deal at $175 a club?

Of course.

Smart man what setup in the Gen2

Has to be the exact same setup to get the special deal.

Wow.... I have always been a Chucky three sticks fan and know he's a huge club ho and likes tinkering with his clubs so I'm sure PXG Irons are nice but man the pissing

match and people getting butt hurt is ridiculous.

Who care what someone else spends their money on ? I did love the fact that someone is getting new Irons thanks to a bonus check generated by the new tax cuts. :)

Imagine if they bought their PXG's with a wage increase instead of a one-time bonus! New sticks every year!

Actually, I got both the $2,000 bonus AND a pretty good raise, too. That's what I meant by "What a country!"

Ah, well- congrats. You're the exception. Most of us working stiffs won't see a pay raise and/or large bonus.

The U.S. 'free market' is a rigged system that sustains and enriches the oligarchs of the Seattle and San Francisco exurbs and the like while tamping down the reward offered to those at the bottom (who work just as hard as the people that reap most of the benefit from a bogus 'Tax Reform' handout).

Economies are more sustainable when they actually work for everyone. By that I mean those at the top should be taxed at 60-70% and that money should be directly deposited into the wallets of the 98% of the rest of us.

Wow.... I have always been a Chucky three sticks fan and know he's a huge club ho and likes tinkering with his clubs so I'm sure PXG Irons are nice but man the pissing

Who care what someone else spends their money on ? I did love the fact that someone is getting new Irons thanks to a bonus check generated by the new tax cuts. :)

Imagine if they bought their PXG's with a wage increase instead of a one-time bonus! New sticks every year!

Actually, I got both the $2,000 bonus AND a pretty good raise, too. That's what I meant by "What a country!"

Ah, well- congrats. You're the exception. Most of us working stiffs won't see a pay raise and/or large bonus.

The U.S. 'free market' is a rigged system that sustains and enriches the oligarchs of the Seattle and San Francisco exurbs and the like while tamping down the reward offered to those at the bottom (who work just as hard as the people that reap most of the benefit from a bogus 'Tax Reform' handout).

Economies are more sustainable when they actually work for everyone. By that I mean those at the top should be taxed at 60-70% and that money should be directly deposited into the wallets of the 98% of the rest of us.

I'm beginning to think you might not be Parsons target audience.

Sounds like someone needs to take an economics class...

^^^^ very interesting info!

Might be worthwhile to sell those Gen1 immediately as new to get the best price and wait for the Gen2 to arrive. It does rain a lot up there in the NW Seattle area... :D

Did the fitter have any info on the Gen2 irons? Not much has been written about changes.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

They look the exact same.

What is the difference?

Some differences are apparent upon inspection of photos..........

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

They are very beautiful clubs. I will give them that. I had a set. I think what hurt me is that the guy fitting me was very ahh whatever type. I didn’t try many shafts. Cut down the clubs and when i brought them to the course. Totally different. My fault. I was fit for s400 shafts. And well it is what it is. I love my taylormade set. I’m happy with them. They suit my game well. But i can tell you i miss my Nike vapor pro combos.

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

They look the exact same.

What is the difference?

Some differences are apparent upon inspection of photos..........

I think the 0311T 2nd gen are smaller and logo looks bigger. Honestly I like the looks of the 1st Gen a little better. Claimed to have extra 3 mph ball speed and 30% more forgiveness but thats according to PXG rep.

^^^^ very interesting info!

Might be worthwhile to sell those Gen1 immediately as new to get the best price and wait for the Gen2 to arrive. It does rain a lot up there in the NW Seattle area... :D

Did the fitter have any info on the Gen2 irons? Not much has been written about changes.

its does seem odd to me that apparently you have to order both sets the same model? So PXG knows people will be selling the Gen 1s on ebay or here. Seems like they should just discount the Gen 1s to $250 a club or less. Or frankly one could keep the Gen1s and sell the Gen2s at the $350 a club or more basically all but pay for the Gen1s.

I suspect that it is intended to clean out the inventory of the Gen1, as once they are gone, they are gone. Unlike TM/Titleist/Ping, who sell through shops & stores, inventory (and risk) resides at the retailers, who then sell leftovers and overstock on sale. That does not fit PXG's model, so they need a strategy to sell what has been produced and now out-of-production.

Deal ends on March 14. I would think there are 2 primary targets of the deal:

• Guys who fly back & forth between 2 homes all winter, who can afford to have a duplicate set up north and one down south. There are hundreds of these guys in La Quinta alone.
  • The eBay Opportunity guys, who can sell one of the sets for a reasonable profit to discount their cost of the set they keep. This sudden oversupply of new or near-new clubs on eBay will certainly, temporarily depress prices there, but it is still a reasonable risk to take.

Requirement for same model/shafts/grips/specs is to preserve only the 2 above options and eliminate 2 buddies with different specs, pooling their money to get 2 sets for a low, low average cost. Of course, identical twins could do it.

Detailed info on Gen2 is a secret. Great rep but his lips (and job security) are sealed.

I suspect that it is intended to clean out the inventory of the Gen1, as once they are gone, they are gone. Unlike TM/Titleist/Ping, who sell through shops & stores, inventory (and risk) resides at the retailers, who then sell leftovers and overstock on sale. That does not fit PXG's model, so they need a strategy to sell what has been produced and now out-of-production.

Deal ends on March 14. I would think there are 2 primary targets of the deal:

• Guys who fly back & forth between 2 homes all winter, who can afford to have a duplicate set up north and one down south. There are hundreds of these guys in La Quinta alone.
  • The eBay Opportunity guys, who can sell one of the sets for a reasonable profit to discount their cost of the set they keep. This sudden oversupply of new or near-new clubs on eBay will certainly, temporarily depress prices there, but it is still a reasonable risk to take.

Requirement for same model/shafts/grips/specs is to preserve only the 2 above options and eliminate 2 buddies with different specs, pooling their money to get 2 sets for a low, low average cost. Of course, identical twins could do it.

Detailed info on Gen2 is a secret. Great rep but his lips (and job security) are sealed.

Same shaft and grip doesn't have to be same model.

Talked to PXG and here is the info on the upgrade program from the horse's mouth. I will be taking advantage of it!

[b][i]Brad King[/i][/b]
[b][color=#ff8c00][i]Southern California & New England [/i][/color][/b]

[b]Taylor Made M3 9.5* w. Graphite Design Tour AD IZ6 Stiff
Tayloe Made M4 Fairway 15* w. HZDRUS Black 6.0 Stiff
Taylor Made M3 Hybrid 17* (set to 19*) w. Tensi Blue 85HY Stiff
Taylor Made M3 4-AW w. DG XP100
Taylor Made High Toe 58* w. KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Taylor Made High Toe 64* w. KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Taylor Made Spider Red Sightline 35"
Taylor Made Bag

Taylor Made TP5x & Kirkland KSIG Balls
[/b]

I was in Phoenix and booked a fitting at PXG headquarters.

So they filled me in on the details of the program in the name of being transparent.

I'm certainly taking advantage of this deal only to get into the 0311P Dark's (Gen 2).

The Gen1 set I will buy whatever is easiest to sell on eBay, likely just the 0311 or t's in chrome.

I could not go XF and T, but 0311p and either or XF or T (one jump in series, not two).

Not for nothing but $525 for some sort of technology which probably isn’t that well beyond what’s out there already is crazy. Even if you sell the set for 1500 your still out of pocket for 2175 and your still losing money. And for some people hey this might be your deal and you have every right to do what you want. But if more people are playing taylormade, callaway and titliest. There is a reason. They perform equally as good and maybe better at a fraction of the cost. I hate to say but there are less and less people playing golf because of how expensive is it. And well there not helping.

Before all you pxg bandwagoners jump down on what I’m saying. I went. I got fit. Played a 4-W club. And got the hybrid(which was a great club) paid a stupid amount of money and got rid of them after 3 rounds. I feel my Taylormade clubs i can hit better. They feel better and well i enjoy them.

~2024 Bag~

Titleist TSR2 10 Degree

Titleist TSR2 3W 15 Degree

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 19 Degree

Titleist T-100s 4-W  Blackout

Titleist SM9 50.12F,56.12D,60.08M Blackout

Scotty Cameron 11.5 

Titleist Pro-V1x Yellow

I just don’t know understand why people want to pay so much money for a Porsche , Ferrari , Lamborghini, etc...... a smart car gets better mileage, cheaper to insure and letss carbon foot print. Oh that is right there are people that can and want something different and appeals to them regardless of price