Charles Howell III testing newest "Gen2" PXG irons: 2018 CareerBuilder Challenge

I just bought the older version two weeks ago and PXG is offering the new irons to me for $125 per club...so quite a deal. The only info I have is that the ball speed will be an increase of 3 mph....which means another club in distance! My wedges are now obsolete!

Β 

Who did you buy through at $125 a club? I called PXG and they did confirm a 2nd gen iron coming out in April or so. They have a deal going until March 14 where if you buy a set of 1st generation irons for $359 each you can get a set of 2nd gen irons for $175 each. Leads you to wonder why they think people would buy 2 sets of irons.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why even have this argument. they feel good to some people and cost twice as much; despite some people being angry about it, spending $4,000 on irons is just not a ton of money to many people.

Β 

You can buy a belt from Costco for $12 or you can go to Hermes and get a $1400 belt. The clubs are just more expensive and, like every other manufacturer, they say their stuff is the "best. Is there a point where I'd bow out if things got out of hand? Sure. Is there any reason for me to be angry at Ferrari when a Ferrari drives by? No.

Β 

i think the new irons look good but don't really see anything revolutionary. the buying two sets of irons is a little confusing not sure I understand that deal...

Β 

Why even have this argument. they feel good to some people and cost twice as much; despite some people being angry about it, spending $4,000 on irons is just not a ton of money to many people.

Β 

You can buy a belt from Costco for $12 or you can go to Hermes and get a $1400 belt. The clubs are just more expensive and, like every other manufacturer, they say their stuff is the "best. Is there a point where I'd bow out if things got out of hand? Sure. Is there any reason for me to be angry at Ferrari when a Ferrari drives by? No.

Β 

i think the new irons look good but don't really see anything revolutionary. the buying two sets of irons is a little confusing not sure I understand that deal...

Well, you made your point. However, Buffett still owns his first house. Being smart with money is always a good idea.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

Feel is subjective, so.......

Β 

Pretty much everything? Well that must have been expensive. So did you travel to Japan or do you have a local fitter with all of the latest from all over the world?

well I have a set of Miura CBs and have hit Epons which are basically the other two irons in that price range and the PXG felt better are there any irons I missed oh all knowing one?

Β 

Β 

Β 

FYI they're not $4000 for a set it's $350 a club.

Β 

Β 

Β 

I don't get the 2 set deal as well I would discount the 1st generation irons but then would cannibalize the new line. So if you got $3500 sitting around you can have 2 sets and just sell one.

Β 

Β 

Well, you made your point. However, Buffett still owns his first house. Being smart with money is always a good idea.

Β 

I don't k ow many WRXers who are "smart" with money if we were wouldn't buy new clubs every year

Β 

Pretty much everything? Well that must have been expensive. So did you travel to Japan or do you have a local fitter with all of the latest from all over the world?

well I have a set of Miura CBs and have hit Epons which are basically the other two irons in that price range and the PXG felt better are there any irons I missed oh all knowing one?

Β 

In what universe is that "pretty much everything" oh great butt hurt consumer justifying a silly purchase exaggerating one?

Β 

"I get you have a thing against them but they do perform and feel better than other current irons out. And I've hit pretty much everything."

Β 

Β 

Several guys at my Club have homes in the Desert with identical clubs at both homes. They're in their late 50's/early 60's and still working with the kind of job/profession that let's them spend 2 weeks in the Desert and 2 weeks back home. The wife stays in the Desert all winter and the guy has cars, clothes & clubs in both places.....take Uber to the airport & get on the plane on Friday afternoon just with a briefcase and get picked up by the wife at the other end.

Β 

Nice lifestyle and, while it sounds unusual, it's not that uncommon in Seattle/LaQuinta. Probably similar phenomenon in Westchester County/West Palm Beach.

Β 

That's one of the characteristics of the PXG buyer profile.

Man , i just got a set of the gen 1. Love my 0311 . Feels great to me and more forgiving to me than my other sets in the past. Have the OTI tour 100x and the kick in those shafts feels really nice

Β 

frankly I would take them up on the $175 a club for the Gen 2 irons you could easily sell for twice what you paid,

Β 

Β 

In what universe is that "pretty much everything" oh great butt hurt consumer justifying a silly purchase exaggerating one?

Β 

"I get you have a thing against them but they do perform and feel better than other current irons out. And I've hit pretty much everything."

Β 

Β 

Again, Mr onery one, Ive most all the irons they would be compared to. Owned CF 16s, Apex Pros, have Miura CBs, z765, MP 53s and the PXGs. Ive recently hit 790s, X forged, P770s, P750s, i200 and iblade, MP 18 SC as well as Epons which are closest in price to PXG. You tell me what I left out anywhere comparable to PXG. Frankly youre the "butt hurt" one you keep complaining about the price of them if you cant afford them not my problem. And again I DIDNT pay $350 a club for them.

Β 

Several guys at my Club have homes in the Desert with identical clubs at both homes. They're in their late 50's/early 60's and still working with the kind of job/profession that let's them spend 2 weeks in the Desert and 2 weeks back home. The wife stays in the Desert all winter and the guy has cars, clothes & clubs in both places.....take Uber to the airport & get on the plane on Friday afternoon just with a briefcase and get picked up by the wife at the other end.

Β 

Nice lifestyle and, while it sounds unusual, it's not that uncommon in Seattle/LaQuinta. Probably similar phenomenon in Westchester County/West Palm Beach.

Β 

That's one of the characteristics of the PXG buyer profile.

Β 

Β 

General observation isnt it that all PXG buyers are rich old guys. You still need to be able to hit the clubs there are many lower handicappers who play them. Just like there are many rich hacks who play them theyre the ones who are selling barely hit PXGs where the sweetspot hasnt been touched.

I just bought the older version two weeks ago and PXG is offering the new irons to me for $125 per club...so quite a deal. The only info I have is that the ball speed will be an increase of 3 mph....which means another club in distance! My wedges are now obsolete!

Β 

Who did you buy through at $125 a club? I called PXG and they did confirm a 2nd gen iron coming out in April or so. They have a deal going until March 14 where if you buy a set of 1st generation irons for $359 each you can get a set of 2nd gen irons for $175 each. Leads you to wonder why they think people would buy 2 sets of irons.

Β 

Or the new ones will be 500 per iron.....

Just divorced my 0311T’s for several reasons. First I thought I had the best iron’s made, and they were nice but now I’m was obviously playing with inferior irons (sarcasm), as Bob’s words were β€œwe won’t release a new set of irons until we can offer a substantially better replacement”. I guess it’s to early to tell what makes these so much better, other than a few visual cues, and a much larger price tag according to Mr. Parson’s himself, and members on this board.

I will be honest, I liked the 0311T’s, but now back to playing 718 CB’s, I don’t feel I was getting anything much more for the price paid for gen1. Also figured at 3 years old, (the design, not my specific sets age) I might as well try to get as much value out of them while I could, and did. I can’t say whether or not I will go back, but for pretty much all of the staffers to switch immediately it makes me wonder, are they very similar to first irons, or so much better the transition was a no brainer? As with other OEM’s it seems as it takes some time for some players to take a new set of irons into competitive play. What makes these so much different that guys changed rather quickly in my opinion?

All of that being said, was a nice little ride, still have darkness wedges, but can’t say whether I’ll be back to irons after returning to a solid iron; NPI, that gets the job done just as well. The gen2’s better have a lot packed in that supposed high price tag. Again they look nice, and so do the higher priced wedges...but are people buying the wedges (to PXG’s expectations)? And is this a bit overboard raising the price much higher (again Mr parson’s words on β€œnext irons”) as we have yet to hear any tech, just aesthetics in pictures?

Last just my opinion on customer service...don’t get me started.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

I’m not so sure the new iron release will cost more than they already are now. Yes, you can google pxg and see where parsons has said next generation of clubs will cost a lot more but he’s not referring to this launch. He’s referring to the woods that came out last summer. With this being said, I’m very curious to compare them against an ap2, jpx forged, etc. same shafts, same ball. What’s the difference. I’ve read both sides of coin. I also am firm believer that whatever these new irons have packed in them that they are let’s say different than the first line of 0311. Id be shocked and disappointed if they weren’t better. But then again, what’s better. Finally, I’m seriously thinking of forgetting to even entertain them. I’m with KCCO above and might just invest in a new solid set of 718 CB or 718 ap2s. Might even go a step further, take a lesson from a Pga pro and buy the mizuno mp 18 sc, mmc and fli hi mix it up pure.

What I find hilarious is that no one is bagging on Miura or Epon to the extent they are about the cost of PXG. Just because they dont like the owner or commericals. Frankly at that price I'll pay for the tech in PXG rather than a hand forging by Miura San.

Β 

And why is that? You know the reason but you are less than subtly glossing it over. So now stop being dishonest and tell everyone what the difference is between those companies/clubs while leaving ownership out of it.

What I find hilarious is that no one is bagging on Miura or Epon to the extent they are about the cost of PXG. Just because they dont like the owner or commericals. Frankly at that price I'll pay for the tech in PXG rather than a hand forging by Miura San.

Β 

And why is that? You know the reason but you are less than subtly glossing it over. So now stop being dishonest and tell everyone what the difference is between those companies/clubs while leaving ownership out of it.

Β 

Β 

Why is what? If I were spending $200-300 a head I would rather go with technology (elastomer cavity thin face stronger lofts) than a traditionally lofted soft forging just me. Im older now but still a low handicap so I need all the help I can get with distance with woods and irons. Im not some 20 something WRXer who plays XX shafts and hit driver 320.

Β 

Β 

Dont also know what you think Im being dishonest about?? Most on here hate PXG due to the crassness of Parsons himself or his commercials. Or they simply cant afford them or could and wife would kill them. So the difference between my Miura CBs and PXGs are that the PXGs actually feel softer, longer and more forgiving. I paid same about for both. Market for Miura is smaller now with PXG taking a big market share of theirs. Only difference I know is Miura has been in business for 40 years or so and hand forge irons in Japan PXGs I believe are forged in China.

Β 

Β 

If theres something Im missing please enlighten me.

Go back and read the first sentence of the post I responded to. Yes you are purposely dancing around your comment and how it applies to why people don't complain as much about the two brands mentioned. Let's see if you can be honest and do a direct comparison between them and PXG and then answer your own silly question.

Β 

You touched on it after your silly commercial for PXG but try actually diving into it instead of making claims that are disingenuous.

Β 

I get what you're saying, and I don't have a beef with you or anyone else buying PXG, but Parsons is not your typical owner. So for me, even though I could afford them, I would never buy PXG because I do not want to give a dime to that man.

Just divorced my 0311T's for several reasons. First I thought I had the best iron's made, and they were nice but now I'm was obviously playing with inferior irons (sarcasm), as Bob's words were "we won't release a new set of irons until we can offer a substantially better replacement". I guess it's to early to tell what makes these so much better, other than a few visual cues, and a much larger price tag according to Mr. Parson's himself, and members on this board.

I will be honest, I liked the 0311T's, but now back to playing 718 CB's, I don't feel I was getting anything much more for the price paid for gen1. Also figured at 3 years old, (the design, not my specific sets age) I might as well try to get as much value out of them while I could, and did. I can't say whether or not I will go back, but for pretty much all of the staffers to switch immediately it makes me wonder, are they very similar to first irons, or so much better the transition was a no brainer? As with other OEM's it seems as it takes some time for some players to take a new set of irons into competitive play. What makes these so much different that guys changed rather quickly in my opinion?

All of that being said, was a nice little ride, still have darkness wedges, but can't say whether I'll be back to irons after returning to a solid iron; NPI, that gets the job done just as well. The gen2's better have a lot packed in that supposed high price tag. Again they look nice, and so do the higher priced wedges...but are people buying the wedges (to PXG's expectations)? And is this a bit overboard raising the price much higher (again Mr parson's words on "next irons") as we have yet to hear any tech, just aesthetics in pictures?

Last just my opinion on customer service...don't get me started.

Β 

Β 

Those are rumors on the $500 price tag. Even notwithstanding if you can buy them for $175 an iron (told by PXG) you could make your money back on purchase of the gen 1 irons.